Dominoes draft: R1 - Enigma_87 vs P-nut0712

Who would win in the following draft game with all players at their peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Aside from the calibre of the company, the other problem with Klose here is that his fantastic heading ability is largely negated by the imperious aerial dominance of Ayala and Campbell.

Enigma_87

You know who
Aye, Pnut's tactics were spot on too. That wing back duo are tailor-made for swift counter attacks, the midfield was capable of soaking up pressure as well as having quality going forward, and the Baresi-marshalled defence was strong. The A-list quality in attack just wasn't available to him though. I'd still have given him a decent shot here if your set up had been less coherent, but you've done an awesome job in moulding all that talent into a very plausible tactic. Great job in discussing Di Stefano's role - it was a good read and you made alot of good points. I thought I'd voted for you earlier but evidently I forgot but it didn't matter thankfully.
Cheers mate for your feedback. Pretty happy with my team as it consists of players that I always wanted to pick but haven't so far(bar Figo).

It really went into a nice blend of both individual talent and as you mentioned gelled team.

Yeah I'd have wanted someone like Batistuta or as you say Van Basten that can hold the ball and wait for either Villa to run off of him or one of the support runners to join them.

With Klose I was relying on a clean sheet and him to nick a goal. Against ADS and Zico that was always a tough ask.
Van Basten would've been great for you, also Romario. Indeed you didn't have access to them tho at any point in the draft I think. Villa is one helluva forward tho, can't say a bad word for him. As Pat said - he's not in the elite echelon of strikers in all time draft, but is damn close.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Cheers mate for your feedback. Pretty happy with my team as it consists of players that I always wanted to pick but haven't so far(bar Figo).

It really went into a nice blend of both individual talent and as you mentioned gelled team.

Van Basten would've been great for you, also Romario. Indeed you didn't have access to them tho at any point in the draft I think. Villa is one helluva forward tho, can't say a bad word for him. As Pat said - he's not in the elite echelon of strikers in all time draft, but is damn close.
Yeah I wanted a big strong striker so as good as Romario is he wouldn't of fit into the ideology I was working towards.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Enigma_87

Brilliant team on paper

What's the difference with the following team?

------------- Rummi + Zico
----------------- Di Stef
---- Iniesta----------------- Figo
----------------- Rijkaard

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Unlucky @P-Nut0712 hard for us mere mortals to compete with these juggernaut sides. Tactically a beautiful side you had put together.

Enigma_87

You know who
Brilliant team on paper

What's the difference with the following team?

------------- Rummi + Zico
----------------- Di Stef
---- Iniesta----------------- Figo
----------------- Rijkaard
Cheers mate.

I didn't like the diamond with this set of players for couple of reasons - Figo as a RCM. He should be on the right to stretch up the play, terrorize the fullback and also provide for Zico/Kalle/AdS. I prefer his defensive work to be done by tracking back vertically instead of tucking in like Iniesta.

Zico best work came outside the box where he can put his quick feet and accurate shooting into work or play quick one two with Kalle or Don Alfredo.

Didn't want to put Alfredo and Zico next to each other as I wanted di Stefano to run the game from deep as he always did - thus maximizing both talents and also always have Di Stefano in the middle and also get the advantages of his defensive game.

As others mentioned, Zico on his own can decide the game and if Di Stefano impact is limited in attack (as hard that could be) I have another match winner in Zico as "Plan B".

Enigma_87

You know who
Yeah I wanted a big strong striker so as good as Romario is he wouldn't of fit into the ideology I was working towards.
Would've worked well in your counter attacking team with his speed and directness. Also alongside Villa I think they are a nice fit together.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Cheers mate.

I didn't like the diamond with this set of players for couple of reasons - Figo as a RCM. He should be on the right to stretch up the play, terrorize the fullback and also provide for Zico/Kalle/AdS. I prefer his defensive work to be done by tracking back vertically instead of tucking in like Iniesta.

Zico best work came outside the box where he can put his quick feet and accurate shooting into work or play quick one two with Kalle or Don Alfredo.

Didn't want to put Alfredo and Zico next to each other as I wanted di Stefano to run the game from deep as he always did - thus maximizing both talents and also always have Di Stefano in the middle and also get the advantages of his defensive game.

As others mentioned, Zico on his own can decide the game and if Di Stefano impact is limited in attack (as hard that could be) I have another match winner in Zico as "Plan B".

I understand your rationale. I was thinking about Real Madrid 2002 in terms of positioning.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
P-nut0712

P-nut0712
Playing style

I’m employing a counter attacking system that will sit deep and look to frustrate the opposition.

The team

Building from the back I’ve got a WC keeper with an extremely intelligent back three in position to protect him. Baresi will obviously be the leader, but in Schwarzenbeck and Carvalho I’ve got 2 different styles of cb to support him. Schwarzenbeck was nicknamed the iron foot for his tough tackling displays whilst Carvalho is renowned for his reading of the game. They will make a perfect partnership when Baresi steps forward to initiate counter attacks.

My pair of Brazilian wing backs are in their perfect roles, where they can put maximum focus on getting forward and supporting attacks when possible. They will likely be the best out ball when sprinting into attack.

The midfield is filled with world class box to box players. Schweinsteiger is situated centrally as he will be the one most charged with circulating the ball when needed. All 3 have excellent engines enabling them to support in both attack and defence without leaving the back line exposed.

Most games are won or lost in the engine room and the power and technique of these three should give me a fighting chance against anyone.

Schuster on the right will give Alves someone to link up with and should allow both of them to express their attacking talents.

Vidal on the left whilst supporting Carlos will cover for him when he bombs down the flank.

Villa is playing in a free role. Tasked with drifting between lines and getting close to Klose he will have no defined position and will position himself depending on the flow of the game.

Klose will stay up top, tasked with zero defensive duties he will play as a poacher. Looking for half chances in and around the box. It’s the same role he performed for Germany at the World Cup. There is no one with a better record in elite knock out international football and when defending deep and relying on tucking away the chances he’s a perfect fit.

Key areas

A back 3 that complement each other.

3 world class box to box midfielders in the engine room

Lethal poacher in knockout football

You have a very nice team. From an ideological standpoint, your strategy would have been perfect with players like

- Kaka to provide pace
- Pirlo/Xabi Alonso/Koeamn to launch attacks

I know it is a draft of opportunities.

idmanager

I love that diamond. Had a discussion about it with Enigma while making the picks.
Iniesta and Figo are almost perfect.
Only problem being one of Zico and AdS would be slightly uncomfortable, but it is still worth it IMO, especially with Rijkaard in there.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I’m with @Enigma_87 on Figo’s role. Prefer the Barca version working the full back despite him getting the Ballon based partly on a more central gig for Real. If he’s playing narrower there’s a difference between RCM and inside-right which is where he’s more natural imo.

Enigma_87

You know who
Zico will be the #10 in that formation and Alfredo whatshisname can play as the center forward.

I like the idea though, looks better than the OP.
Nah I think a diamond will play right into P-nut zone especially with the tactics he employed.

He’d be sitting back so I needed to stretch his midfield and defense, Figo especially on the right is much more useful than inside.

Enigma_87

You know who
I’m with @Enigma_87 on Figo’s role. Prefer the Barca version working the full back despite him getting the Ballon based partly on a more central gig for Real. If he’s playing narrower there’s a difference between RCM and inside-right which is where he’s more natural imo.
Yeah fully agree mate. Last season at Barca was force of nature.

@Ecstatic i can see your point tho and I really like that versatility:)

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Aye, I much prefer Figo in his wider role. Also, Di Stefano and Zico's roles seem to have a clearer and more convincing demarcation in Enigma's current setup rather than that diamond.

Enigma_87

You know who
Aye, I much prefer Figo in his wider role. Also, Di Stefano and Zico's roles seem to have a clearer and more convincing demarcation in Enigma's current setup rather than that diamond.
Yeah indeed. They are the stars of the team and the two best players on the pitch for me, so naturally I'd want to have the team build around them.

Figo, Iniesta and Kalle are also perfect foils for them as they have proven on more than one occasion that are team players and capable of playing alongside other GOAT's of their generation.

Enigma_87

You know who
You have a very nice team. From an ideological standpoint, your strategy would have been perfect with players like

- Kaka to provide pace
- Pirlo/Xabi Alonso/Koeamn to launch attacks

I know it is a draft of opportunities.
Actually Kaka with Villa on top isn't a bad combination that offers plenty of variety. I can see the reason behind P-nut going for a target man tho so naturally Kaka won't be on his radar.