Dominoes draft: R1 - Skizzo vs Pat_mustard

Who would win in the following draft game with all players at their peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tuppet

Skizzo

VS

Pat_Mustard

TACTICS
Skizzo:
Formation - 4-3-3
Style - Deep defending, quick counters and transitions

The team

Gigi Buffon jumps into the goal here, and will look to marshall a solid defensive unit comprising of players who are known for their no-nonsense approach to defending. Karl-Heinz Forster and Diego Godin will look to condense space in the middle of the pitch, and close out any space in behind for Romario to get into. No easy task, but they'll kick him when necessary. The full back pairing is one of the best I've been able to put together, with Antonio Cabrini and Javier Zanetti both known for their ability to play in defensive set ups for both Italy and Inter Milan, but also add an offensive outlet when bursting forward. They'll look to get forward and provide overlapping runs and deliveries into the box at various times throughout this match.

Claude Makelele takes up his position in the "Makelele" role. When thinking of someone to shield the defensive unit, and provide simple, tidy passes forward, I wanted someone tenacious, someone hard working, someone who wouldn't overcomplicate things. I racked my brain for someone to play the "Makelele" role and would understand what it entailed, what it took to make the role work. In the end I had to settle for Makelele to play the "Makelele" role, but I think overall his skill set would translate well, even if it wasn't a position or role he himself was actually that familiar with.

Gerhard Hanappi and Wolfgang Overath will round out the midfield, and offer both the extra defensive cover and work rate we'd need against the opposition midfield. We won't look to dominate possession here, although I don't think either team is particularly set up for a heavy possession game, but we'll look to break forward from midfield quickly. Originally I wanted a deeper playmaker to link the front to back, but Overath provides a perfect outlet from midfield in that attacking "8" style role, carrying the ball forward, and also able to play passes in behind for the three ahead.

Arjen Robben and his little bald head will be looking to terrorize the full back on one side, while Neymar and his ever changing hairstyle from mohawk to dyed miniature Fellaini mop top, will do the same from the other flank. Both will look to attack with pace, directness, and would be comfortable swapping offensive positions to constantly keep the defenders constantly on edge.

Lastly, to rival his opposition striker here as one of the most feared strikers around, Marco Van Basten will look to do what he does best, score goals. He'll look to get in behind, link play with the inside forwards, and create space with his movement.

Why we will destroy the opposition with no mercy and leave with a flawless victory:
  • -Insert comment about Vidic and his ineptitude in handling anyone that runs faster than the women of a certain age that Rooney endears himself to-
  • Gerrard falls over, Veron doesn't know how to play with players from the Premier League, and Vieira's best time came as a coach for NYCFC.
  • Our defense is solid. The opposition consists of Romario, Kopa, and some other guy? Puc off with that nonsense.
  • The opposition is also filled with bottlers. Think of those big pressure moments. FA Cup final 1999, Giggs and that glorious goal. Who assisted him? Fecking Patrick Vieira. Think of that Liverpool Premier League win. You can't, because who fell over and let Demba Ba score? Fecking Stevie G. Think of that Champions League final 1999. Who sat on the ground and stuck his hand up in the air to call offside instead of saving Teddy Sheringham's whiffed effort into the corner? Oliver Feckin' Kahn. Who did Torres make hold his purse whenever Liverpool played United? Nemanja fecki...never mind, he'll probably come after me.
Good luck Pat :)

Pat_Mustard:

Formation: 4-4-2 Diamond
Defensive Line: Moderate-deep

We're fielding an all-time great GK in Kahn, with the complementary centre back duo of the aggressive stopper Vidic and the defensive sweeper Schulz. Vidic, with his supreme aerial strength and relish for the physical duel, looks a good stylistic candidate to mitigate against van Basten's skill set, although it goes without saying that the Dutchman's sheer quality makes it a torrid outing for anyone.

Flanking my CBs are two magnificent full backs in Brehme and Thuram. Both will play their normal games here despite their formidable one on one duels - Brehme breaking forward where possible as a primary width provider on our left flank, Thuram playing more conservatively for the most part but still providing an outlet on the right wing.

Juan Sebastian Veron anchors the midfield as a deep-lying playmaker. His defensive game has become underrated on here, but it's worth remembering that he played in a midfield two in a strong Serie A, and was able to go toe to toe with the likes of Edgar Davids. In any case he's buttressed here by two of the more powerful and athletic midfielders of the modern era in Patrick Vieira and Steven Gerrard. Between them they'll cover a tonne of ground defensively, and Gerrard will also enjoy his attacking assignment of breaking forward into the right-side channels.

The first in a legendary line of great French No. 10s, Raymond Kopa takes centre stage at the tip of the diamond, with freedom to roam and orchestrate as he wishes. Ahead of him are the prolific and multi-faceted duo of Romario and Shevchenko. This looks an exciting and well-balanced duo to me. Romario has excelled alongside a range of partners from Bebeto through to Ronaldo and Edmundo, and Shevchenko seems to fit the bill as a roving, foraging and highly skilled foil to one of the game's deadliest finishers

Tuppet

Hi @Damien Can you please add the following poll -
Who would win in the following draft game with all players at their peak -
Skizzo
Pat_mustard

Votes not visible until you vote.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
inb4 Damien.

Poll added. Good luck, both. :)

idmanager

If I didn't know any better, would say the draw was fixed.
Perfect opponents lineups wise.
Not sure how to rate someone who probably hasn't peaked like Neymar, especially against Thurram.
Not a fan of Veron in that midfield, but facing a team without a No.10 must have made it an easier option.

Moby

Dick
You'd struggle to find someone who digs Thuram more, but that formation calls for a more flamboyant defender.

He'll pocket Neymar though, no issues.

idmanager

You'd struggle to find someone who digs Thuram more, but that formation calls for a more flamboyant defender.
I personally thought he was perfect considering the RCM is Gerrard who should be more than capable of stretching play.
The lack of a Makalele-esque figure makes Thurram an even better choice IMO.

Skizzo

True, offensively he'll struggle to have the desired impact to bomb down that wing, although with Gerrard, it gives some subsequent width when he moves out there.

Agree that defensively he's more than a match for Neymar, who will probably look to roam slightly to find space and impact the game where he can.

The benefit we have on that side is that Cabrini can offer an additional wide threat at times, which would require Gerrard to move out there and weaken the midfield somewhat with Overath able to push forward at Veron.

Oaencha

Good luck to both of you. Two class teams and difficult to choose a winner. I will have a think before giving more imput.

@Pat_Mustard Just curious why you decided to play Veron and Vieira in those positions? IMO they should be the other way around.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
  • -Insert comment about Vidic and his ineptitude in handling anyone that runs faster than the women of a certain age that Rooney endears himself to-
  • Gerrard falls over, Veron doesn't know how to play with players from the Premier League, and Vieira's best time came as a coach for NYCFC.
  • Our defense is solid. The opposition consists of Romario, Kopa, and some other guy? Puc off with that nonsense.
  • The opposition is also filled with bottlers. Think of those big pressure moments. FA Cup final 1999, Giggs and that glorious goal. Who assisted him? Fecking Patrick Vieira. Think of that Liverpool Premier League win. You can't, because who fell over and let Demba Ba score? Fecking Stevie G. Think of that Champions League final 1999. Who sat on the ground and stuck his hand up in the air to call offside instead of saving Teddy Sheringham's whiffed effort into the corner? Oliver Feckin' Kahn. Who did Torres make hold his purse whenever Liverpool played United? Nemanja fecki...never mind, he'll probably come after me.
:lol::lol::lol:

Skizzo

If I didn't know any better, would say the draw was fixed.
Perfect opponents lineups wise.
Not sure how to rate someone who probably hasn't peaked like Neymar, especially against Thurram.
Not a fan of Veron in that midfield, but facing a team without a No.10 must have made it an easier option.
My thoughts on Neymar and Thuram and touched on briefly above. Not going to try and sell him as a GOAT who will be tearing it up, but we know what we're getting with him. He's flamboyant, can beat a man, and won't shy away from the challenge. Him and Robben will be fluid, and not your usual inside forwards who will stick to their sides. They'll both move centrally at times, and swap flanks at times.

Veron's job would be a tricky one as without a direct number 10 against him, he's going to have to be more aware of players as they drift into his areas. Overath would move up from central areas, while Neymar and Robben would look to drift into space behind him and between the lines causing problems.

In no way a direct and definitive guaranteed source of goals, but as we're looking to play forward quickly and directly with pace through quick passing forward or the directness of our attackers, the few moments it would take Veron to figure out what threat he's responsible for could make the difference.

Not that he's a liability, as his time in England obviously isn't a fair reflection of his abilities...but I still think he'd have a hard time of it here.

Skizzo

FFS you deserve to win on the basis of that write up alone @Skizzo ! Great stuff :lol:

And thanks @Tuppet and @Invictus .
:lol: cheers mate. Figured I'd venture away from the norm for once

I wasn't sure what you'd go with formation wise. I didn't look through your players well enough to see the diamond coming, so thought I'd focus on all those liabilities of yours instead :p

Skizzo

Just in case, lest we forget, that Neymar is just damn good on the ball. I know he's obviously still young, and his peak may arguably be better, or just prolonged periods of how good he is now...but either way he's been turning defenders inside and out for a while already.

It's always that balance of judging players we are still able to watch week in week out vs the highlight reels and nostalgia of players long since retired.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

Wow! That's some serious trash-talk? Think the Vidic one is my favourite.....

Come on Pat, retaliate.... let's see you diss his team, maybe say "Buffon does a fecking shampoo advert, the tart"?

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Good luck to both of you. Two class teams and difficult to choose a winner. I will have a think before giving more imput.

@Pat_Mustard Just curious why you decided to play Veron and Vieira in those positions? IMO they should be the other way around.
Cheers mate. Basically, the primary quality I want from my side midfielders in a diamond formation is the stamina to cover tonnes of ground and the defensive aptitude to win the ball back. That's doubly important against the opposition here whose creative threat is more geared towards the wide areas. Vieira fits the bill a bit better than Veron in that role. Also, he generally had partners who could slot into the holding role so he could stride forward, from Petit through to Gilberto Silva and Makelele, so I like Veron's positionng in that regard.

Aye, I would have liked a more purely defensive-minded DM in my squad as well, but I do feel firstly that Veron's defensive game gets far too little credit, and secondly that Vieira and Gerrard provide ample protection for any DLP. I also like having a passer of that calibre positioned close to my CBs to orchestrate my transitions from deep, and to shuttle forward with the ball too as he did for Argentina in 1998 for instance to combine with the likes of Ortega.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
@Pat_Mustard Really like the use of Gerrard here. It's probably his best position.

Even though Veron had his peak years in a similar role to Overath on Skizz's team I actually think a DLP suits all his skills with the possible exception of the long-range shooting. Could I hear more of Willie Schulz, I don't know him that well?

@Skizzo Very well oiled team. It is the exact way Raees wants United to play. Could I hear more of Hanappi as I don't know too much about him?

Leaning towards Pat mainly because his front two are livewires.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Acerbic write-up @Skizzo. Lots of quality and a brutally ruthless central defensive axis (Makelele-Forster-Godin) :drool:

Imagine Veron will get a bit of flack, but he's well designed for that gig IMO alongside two box-to-box machines. It's clear he's the man to kickstart moves and had a lot of under-rated athleticism and defensive application in the first half of his career.

Yeah I know what you mean. But Thuram did win a World Cup as arguably France's best player in a similar role behind a narrow midfield.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Thrilling match up.

Skizzo Attack v Pat defence

Neymar vs Thuram... for me the Frenchman definitely wins this battle. He is faster stronger and has the elite defensive intelligence to dominate Neymar. Peak Ronaldinho would be a better match up against Thuram but I think Neymar is too lightweight for this battle.

However Cabrini is a worldie wing back so he could at times make it an overload situation but I think Gerrard is a great fit here tactically and Istanbul proved he can defend a flank.

Robben is tactically difficult to stop as he will cut inside so as good as Brehme is, it is difficult to truly keep tabs on Robben. Zanetti is also a great support player for Robben and I can see Brehme and Vieira having their work cut out here. Very tough battle to call here.. I’d probably favour Robben and Zanetti here.

Overath remind me of David Silva..real playmaker which is a shame because tactically a proper 10 like Zico could have really exploited Pats midfield imo but as it stands I can see the midfield cancelling each other out.

Van Basten is not the type of striker I see who is a real kryptonite for a Vidic but obviously he’s a tier above relative to the defence he is facing. Overall it’s close and I would probably call it a draw on this battle.

More to follow...

Enigma_87

You know who
Yeah I know what you mean. But Thuram did win a World Cup as arguably France's best player in a similar role behind a narrow midfield.
Close to his absolute best as I might add.

Pat_Mustard

Aye, if I was designing a diamond from scratch I'd choose a Cafu at RB for sure, but I feel this has worked out pretty well. Firstly, with Skizzo's creative threat largely coming from the wide areas, Thuram is a perfect man for the job against Neymar. Secondly, like Idmanager says here:

I personally thought he was perfect considering the RCM is Gerrard who should be more than capable of stretching play.
I was lucky to get my hands on an RCM who has good pedigree playing on the right wing. Also, Thuram isn't the most expansive RB by any means but he has excelled in narrow formations:

As a Thuram groupie I know you don't need reminding of this, but nevertheless:

Somewhat like that France 1998 side, my team isn't overflowing with natural width by any means, but with Brehme on the left, Thuram and Gerrard on the right, a mobile playmaker and an effervescent combination up front we should utilise the full width of the pitch well enough.

Pat_Mustard

Wow! That's some serious trash-talk? Think the Vidic one is my favourite.....

Come on Pat, retaliate.... let's see you diss his team, maybe say "Buffon does a fecking shampoo advert, the tart"?
Wolfgang Overath? Wolfgang fecking Overath? "YOU'RE JUST A SHIT GUNTER NETZER!"

Enigma_87

You know who
Could I hear more of Willie Schulz, I don't know him that well?
Old school German defender. Commanding presence and in terms of style like Picchi - defensive sweeper that won't push up forward. I like how Pat has paired him with an aggressive stopper like Vidic so it's a pretty good match. Likes to get stuck in from what I've seen and positionally and defensively is very sound.

In a deep line he's playing to his strengths as his biggest weakness is pace and I think small nitty forwards. Against Van Basten and not a designated #10 I think Pat's defensive line is pretty much spot on.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
:lol:
Well done Skizzo. That write up might be the deciding factor in a close match.

Both teams seem well constructed and fairly balanced. Neither was the luckiest in the draft but didn't face the worst either. In these fine margins I lean towards Skizzo at the moment mostly due to Robben-Zanetti against the tactic Pat is using.

Skizzo

@Skizzo Very well oiled team. It is the exact way Raees wants United to play. Could I hear more of Hanappi as I don't know too much about him?

Leaning towards Pat mainly because his front two are livewires.
I'll address your last comment before your first one. His two strikers are definitely a handful, which is why we planned on a deeper defensive line to limit their ability to get in behind. I'd much rather let those two try and impact the game from outside the box and let them try and beat Buffon from there. Easier said than done mind :) but Godin and Forster are both good at digging in defensively where necessary.

As for Hanappi, he's made a few draft appearances. Here's @Gio's wrote up from a prior draft

Swashbuckling box-to-box midfielder who averaged a goal every three games despite playing chunks of his career at left and right back. His Austrian record of 93 caps stood from the 1950s until 1998. Boasts a strong International Cup record of 15 matches for the impressive Austrian outfit of the late 1940s and 1950s.

Gerhard Hanappi is an famous Austrian legend, a versatile midfielder. Hanappi was very combative player, tireless runner and brilliant technician, was very intelligent with excellent sense of anticipating which made him very useful in defensive duties, and also enabled him to make well timed runs in the box and to score a lot of goals. Hanappi mainly played as wing-half and was also remarkable in playmaking skill. He started his career at SC Wacker Wien, Deemed as Austria's biggest football talent, he then controversially moved to play for big city rivals Rapid Vienna where he proved to be very successful, He also captained the side for seven years and was chosen in Rapid's Team of the Century in 1999. Hanappi was voted 3rd greatest Austrian footballer ever by IFFHS’s poll. After retirement, He worked as an architect. He planned the Weststadion in Vienna, which was renamed to Gerhard Hanappi Stadium after his death.

One of the most complete players in history who successfully played on almost all positions. Hanappi was very combative player, tireless runner and brillant tachnician, in some way could be compared to Pavel Nedved. Gerhard was very intelligent with excellent sense of anticipating which made him very useful in defensive duties, and also enabled him to make well timed runs in the box and to score a lot of goals, even becoming a league top scorer. He was good playmaker although he played mainly as a wing half. Gerhard Hanappi began his career as a footballer at the club Wacker small suburb of Vienna. Even as a 17-year-old he played regularly in the first team and was able to celebrate in 1947 the Meidlinger surprisingly his first championship with Wacker. That same year, the Vienna Cup in Austria are defeated 4-3. Gerhard Hanappi played in the finals still in the middle of Meidlinger, later he was used mostly as a defender. Gerhard Hanappi was soon regarded as the greatest football talent in Vienna, so numerous clubs sought a change to itself. At age 19 he was a defender while his debut on 14 November 1948, the Austrian national soccer team's 2-1 victory over Sweden. Gerhard Hanappi away from his debut came in all 55 games the following countries, the Austrian national team, before he had six years later, a break due to injury in a game against Yugoslavia. With 21 years of Wacker-player has been chosen as the first non-Rapidler footballer of the year. In the year 1950, pointed to the "case Hanappi" as his departure was called to Wacker. Gerhard Hanappi should go to Rapid, Wacker was their star, however, share at any price. Rapids section chief Franz Binder decided to "kidnap" a short hand the football players and hid it. The final exchange of Meidling to Hütteldorf could be completed only after several months of free association. Wacker fans swore the Green-Whites "eternal vengeance," which led to this spicy duels two clubs in the following years. During his free time, took the club coach and former national team players wonder Walter Gerhard Hanappi Nausch in order and set the all-rounder also continue in the team. In his first season playing for SK Rapid Gerhard Hanappi has already won his first international title. In the finale of Zentropacups a remake of Mitropapokals, the all-rounder hit after a 5-0 victory over Lazio in the semi-finals in an all-Austrian duel on Wacker. The hard-run game finally ended with 3:2 in favor of the Green-Whites. At the national level could Gerhard Hanappi mostly determine the championship event with his new club - a total of seven league titles and once he won the Cup in Hütteldorf. Also in the discharged since 1955 European Cup champion, he could come up with the rapid learning from 1961 to the semifinals. Total full 14 years until his retirement in 1964, played at Rapid Hanappi, seven of those years (1957-1964) as their captain. During this time denied Hanappi, who played on nearly all positions with Rapid, 333 league matches, scoring 114 goals. Hanappi in 1999 was elected by a reader poll in Rapid Magazine's third most votes in the century of rapid Eleven. His biggest success in the national dress of the 93-fold team players celebrated at the World Championships in Switzerland in 1954, after having defeated Portugal in the qualifiers with 9:1. At the World Championships drew Hanappi as left-back alongside club colleague Ernst Happel with the national team after a 1-0 win over Scotland and a 5-0 thrashing about Czechoslovakia in the quarterfinals, where they met the hosts. Austria could decide this match in the famous "Battle of Lausanne heat" with 7:5 by itself, however, different from the semi-final against Germany. Gerhard Hanappi but won the small final for third place against the reigning world champions to date with Uruguay 3-1. After the World Cup defender in 1955 and was appointed captain of the national award in the same year as Austria's sportsman of the year. At the world championships in Sweden in 1958 but he could not repeat the success of 1954 and failed at the group stage with the Austrian team after Lospech to Brazil, England and the Soviet Union. After ending his football career in 1965 began his architectural career Gerhard Hanappi. That same year he was honored as the first football player with the Golden Medal of Merit of the Republic of Austria. Even at times of players he had spent his breaks with numerous architectural study books. When his "masterpiece" is the planning and construction of the stadium west of Vienna, now home of Rapid, which on 10 May 1977, opened with a 1-0 win over Austria Vienna. He had previously gained experience with sports facilities, including the planned investment in the ÖMV Stadlau. Gerhard Hanappi died at the age of 51 years of lymphatic cancer and was dedicated in an honorary grave in the cemetery Hietzinger.

Enigma_87

You know who
Aye, I would have liked a more purely defensive-minded DM in my squad as well, but I do feel firstly that Veron's defensive game gets far too little credit, and secondly that Vieira and Gerrard provide ample protection for any DLP. I also like having a passer of that calibre positioned close to my CBs to orchestrate my transitions from deep, and to shuttle forward with the ball too as he did for Argentina in 1998 for instance to combine with the likes of Ortega.
I actually like Veron in this set up. He's facing Overath as most advanced midfielder, hence he won't be exposed defensively, which seems to be the general "agreement" in these drafts. Personally I'm fan of Veron and his defensive skills are always underrated around here.

I think your formation and general idea is pretty close to Milan from the early 00's with Pirlo as a DLP and two B2B besides him(Gattuso/Seedorf) with a #10 up front - Rui Costa.

It's a close match. I think both sides have set up pretty well and counter the opposition strengths pretty well.

I agree with the notion that Thuram is most likely to get the better of Neymar, but then again Makelele and Kopa is also a tossup. Skizzo's central defence is also good fit for Sheva/Romario.

Tough to decide at the moment.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Skizzo's tactics will prevail, he also wins on the trash talk front.

No idea why Cabrini runs back to the corner flag with no one really there.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
As for Hanappi, he's made a few draft appearances. Here's @Gio's wrote up from a prior draft

Quite a telling image that. Shows the contrast between professionally trained European athleticism and Scottish malnourishment. Poor Brown looks like he's going to get snapped in two once Hanappi thunders into the challenge.

Maybe Strachan had a point.

Last edited:

Skizzo

Some info on Overath too, as I fee he may get overlooked, and that would be a shame for a player of his talents.

Joga Bonito said:
It's just a rarity to find a pure playmaker who's so bloody complete and well rounded. Van Hanegem is the only one who springs to mind and perhaps Overath and Falcao.

Born in Siegburg, Wolfgang Overath, is regarded as one of the best midfielders in German soccer history. He began with SV Siegburg 04 as a boy, but moved to 1.FC Cologne at the age of 20. This was the club he remained faithful to through-out his career, playing almost 800 games in all competitions. He got a flying start at the club winning the Bundesliga in his first season as well as being called-up to the national team. He won further domestic cup titles with Cologne in 1968 and 1977.

Wolfgang was still only twenty-two by the time of the World Cup in 1966. Still he played an important role as West Germany reached the final and lost to England after extra time. Overath was virtually a complete midfield player. He was strong man-to-man, was blessed with a powerful left foot and seemed to peak his form to the important games. He was definitely a tournament player and in the 1970 World Cup, the international media voted him as the best midfield player in the tournament. West Germany took third place in Mexico with Overath scoring the winning goal in the bronzematch against Uruguay.

His international career ended after the 1974 World Cup on home soil. It was a perfect way to end a great career by crowning it with a World Cup title. Once again Overath was on top of his game through-out the entire tournament and also knocked in two goals, against Australia with a left footed rocket and also against Sweden. Overath became the only man in World Cup history, along with Beckenbauer, to win gold, silver and bronze in the World Cup.

He continued to play for three more seasons in Cologne before retiring in 1977 lifting the German Cup trophy having beaten Hertha Berlin in the final. It was the last game of his career.

I don't know why the voiceover on that sounds like a dating profile video

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Old school German defender. Commanding presence and in terms of style like Picchi - defensive sweeper that won't push up forward. I like how Pat has paired him with an aggressive stopper like Vidic so it's a pretty good match. Likes to get stuck in from what I've seen and positionally and defensively is very sound.

In a deep line he's playing to his strengths as his biggest weakness is pace and I think small nitty forwards. Against Van Basten and not a designated #10 I think Pat's defensive line is pretty much spot on.
Thanks for that

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I'll address your last comment before your first one. His two strikers are definitely a handful, which is why we planned on a deeper defensive line to limit their ability to get in behind. I'd much rather let those two try and impact the game from outside the box and let them try and beat Buffon from there. Easier said than done mind :) but Godin and Forster are both good at digging in defensively where necessary.

Swashbuckling box-to-box midfielder who averaged a goal every three games despite playing chunks of his career at left and right back. His Austrian record of 93 caps stood from the 1950s until 1998. Boasts a strong International Cup record of 15 matches for the impressive Austrian outfit of the late 1940s and 1950s.
Thanks for the info. Seems like a tidy player

Pat_Mustard

@Pat_Mustard Really like the use of Gerrard here. It's probably his best position.

Even though Veron had his peak years in a similar role to Overath on Skizz's team I actually think a DLP suits all his skills with the possible exception of the long-range shooting. Could I hear more of Willie Schulz, I don't know him that well?
Cheers mate. @Enigma_87 has covered Schulz's playing style very well. I was pretty sure there was an all-touches videos of him on dailymotion but I can't find anything at the minute. I'll tag you if I find anything worthwhile. In the meantime, here's a bit of info including his semi-annual Kicker magazine rankings throughout his career:

Willibald SCHULZ
World class: 6 times
International class: 11 times
Broad circle: 8 times
Considered: 3 times

Willi Schulz was a hard as iron right half and later sweeper who was known as the ‘the master of the sliding tackle’. He captained the national team 20 times and was arguably the most important defensive player during the second half of the 1960s. His international breakthrough was the 1966 World Cup after which he was considered as one of the very best central defenders in Europe. During the next four years, Schulz remained the undisputed standard sweeper of Germany. In November 1968, he was part of the FIFA XI that faced Brazil in Rio de Janeiro. Schulz would have been the standard sweeper of Germany during the 1970 World Cup, but an injury of the meniscus as well as a
calf bruise meant that he only started in two of the six World Cup games in Mexico. In his place, Karl-Heinz Schnellinger played as sweeper. After the 1970 World Cup, Schulz retired from international activities. He continued to play for Hamburger SV until 1973. Being a conservative sweeper with no urge to join the attack of his teams, Schulz focused on marshalling his defense. He was noted for his calmness even under pressure, his positional play, his strength at man-to-man duels, his solid passing game, aerial ability and a special expertise at
sliding tackling. For these traits as well as his consistency at the top level, Schulz was revered by German national team coach Helmut Schön, who preferred Schulz at the sweeper position to the younger and more adventurous Franz Beckenbauer, who had to play in midfield instead and only inherited the libero role for good after Schulz had retired from international duties in 1970.

1957:not considered[12/57]
1958: not considered
1959: broad circle [07/59] [#7 Half Back]
1959: broad circle[12/59] [#4 Half Back]
1960: broad circle [1960] [#4 Half Back]
1961: broad circle [07/61] [#3 Half Back]
1961: broad circle [12/61] [#2 Half Back]
1962: no ranking iss. [07/62]
1962: Internat. Cl. [12/62] [#1 Half Back]
1963: Internat. Cl.[07/63] [#1 Half Back]
1963: Internat. Cl.[12/63] [#1 Half Back]
1964: Internat. Cl.[07/64] [#1 Half Back]