Dominoes Draft SF2 - Pat_Mustard vs Lord SInister

Who will win based on all the players at their respective peaks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tuppet

Pat_Mustard

VS
Lord SInister

Pat_Mustard
Formation: 5-3-2
Tactical Summary: Deep defensive line, quick counter-attacks

What do you do when faced with a Maradona and Messi-propelled irresistible force? In my case, abandon all pretence of going toe to toe with them, and try to create an immovable object instead. To that end, the defensive sweeper Schulz is flanked by one of the great penalty box defenders in Vidic and possibly the best RCB around in Thuram. Two all-time great wing backs man the flanks in Brehme and Zanetti, and a rugged and resolute midfield pairing of Sammer and Vieira shield the defence.

Kopa will drop deep to try to close off passing lanes and nick some interceptions, and moreso to be available to provide a passing option and kickstart our counters. We'll look to either hit Romario and Shevchenko very early, in the hope that they'll have isolated Stam and Forster as the opposition commit men forward, or else build the attack through our wing backs.

Romario averages 2 goals per match vs Stam from a sample size of one match

Lord SInister
De Gea will be the calming and superhuman presence in the goal with his world class shot-stopping and command of area.
Stam and Förster will be told to keep tight, closely marking their zones, and not allowing pat's duo to attack us.
The idea is to use Beckenbauer in a more advance role, so he can not only protect our back, but also start attacks from deep, engaging in the midfield more than he did in the last two outing. With Tigana after been restricted for previous rounds, will now be unleashed being more dynamic and box-to-box, while Keane will be a more looking more to be settling the game with trying to keep the shape of the midfield. These four guys will look to pack the midfield and not give breathing space to pat's midfeilders and play-maker Kopa, while building a platform for Maradona, Messi and Kocsis to dominate pat's defense, ably supported by overlapping Gerets and Carlos. Gerets and Messi will form a partnership attacking the left side of pat, while Gerets will also track back to support the right side of our defense. Carlos will be owning the left flank like he always does, and since there is a lack of true right winger in pat's team, it will be an advantage , as Carlos will be marauding the left side looking to stretch the game and crossing to either Kocsis or stretching the play by , while he has the speed and stamina to get track back supporting the defense. Maradona will be operating in the between the midfield line and defense line of pat exploiting the space between them, and if they look to press/mark him, it will give room to Tigana or Keane to charge forward, depending on the sides. When on ball he will look to dribble and slip the ball for Messi and Kocsis to finish, or pass to Carlos, Gerets or even Tigana at times, so they can either cross to Kocsis or pass to Messi.
Messi will get a more free role in the final attack roaming the front line, confusing pat's left side by sometimes going right flank to cross/pass to Kocsis or cutting in to play quick one twos with Maradona to get himself through, or go all the way from right channel taking on pat's defense and even at times slipping Gerets, to let him cross to Kocsis or play one-twos with Messi. Kocsis will be playing in front always moving east and west confusing his markers, looking to get behind the crosses, through balls and lob passes from Messi, Maradona&co, he will be key in forming a partnership with Maradona, while also at times letting Maradona go at defense at times, with him and Messi lurking just behind, in case rebound or loose ball in or near the box happens.

Key points:
  • Our midfield is set in a way that we will be man on man for every midfielders of pat(Sammer, Vieira and Kopa) while Maradona a free way go. With Kopa having been looked up by Beckenbauer, the creativity of his team will be halted.
  • Lack of wingers means Carlos can take care of the left side on his own, while Gerets will form a deadly partnership with Messi in the right.
  • Messi, Maradona and Kocsis will be too much for any defense in the tourney.
  • Messi will be given a free role from the right channel, getting into the box from the right or center, while also at times deceiving pat's defenders, by getting on the right and make lobbed passes/crosses to Kocsis or make lay off passes to an onrushing Maradona or Tigana or Keane.
  • Maradona will the creator-in-chief and organised of the attacks. With an extra man in the middle he will given more freedom than in previous rounds.
  • Beckenbauer anchoring my team is no less than having having Maradona in the hole orchestrating attacks.
  • Tigana gets to play his best role, the tireless box to box midfielder.
  • Kocsis will be played in more by Messi, Maradona and co with crosses, so he can fully utilize his aerial prowess and heading game.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Kudos to Pat for setting up to mitigate the opposition rather than going toe-to-toe.

idmanager

If LS reaches the final, which part of the team would he upgrade? DDG? Fecking hell, what a lineup that

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
I like the 532 Pat is running. Probably his only hope of countering the sinister machine. I'd like to hear some more on World Cup Willi. I know @mazhar13 wrote a bit on him before.
How would he match stylistically against Kocsis? Is he playing as classic sweeper here not carrying the ball forward?

Also how do the managers see Carlos vs. Zanetti panning out?
Also why is Gerets positioned so far back?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Great work on the formation pics :lol:
Messi and Maradona as far from each other as possible and Pat parking the bus

Moby

Dick
I would personally switch Thuram and Vidic.

Yes they are currently on their favoured sides but neither are exactly going to as far wide as a fullback would given there are no wingers in the opposition. With that in mind, a clearly outlined role for Thuram to contain Messi with Schulz behind him covering would be a fantastic way to counter him. Thuram is as good a CB as you can ask for against a player like Messi - a complete defender who's an amazing athlete.

harms

Staff
Kocsis' threat is well covered; although Messi owned Vidic in 2 finals, fecker always performed against us :mad:

Will try to assess how possible is it for Pat to keep Sinister's team from scoring.

Enigma_87

You know who
@Pat_Mustard has build a great side and I really love the way he has set up.

However I just can't see LS losing this one. He upgraded the weak spot in Ziege and has done pretty well to put Messi and Maradona as far apart.

I don't think Kocsis will be dangerous in this game as he's well countered but Messi vs Vidic is advantage to LS considering the history between the two and the more outside rightish position he's in this match..

Sorry, Pat, really love your effort and your side in general and probably would've voted for you for any other opposition bar LS...

Enigma_87

You know who
I would personally switch Thuram and Vidic.

Yes they are currently on their favoured sides but neither are exactly going to as far wide as a fullback would given there are no wingers in the opposition. With that in mind, a clearly outlined role for Thuram to contain Messi with Schulz behind him covering would be a fantastic way to counter him. Thuram is as good a CB as you can ask for against a player like Messi - a complete defender who's an amazing athlete.
Yeah I'd agree with that. Thuram would be a much better fit for Messi.

idmanager

Probably to balance the flanks and shape in general.
The attack is going to be right centric with Kocsis ever so slightly to the left and Carlos being the much more aggressive fullback to stretch the game down the left.
I think the average positions are just about right.

I especially like the Kaiser's positioning as I never like seeing him in the Sweeper position in the usual graphics.
As someone mentioned, great work with the graphics.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
@Moby @Enigma_87 Yeah thought the same about Vidic/Thuram. Don't really fancy Vidic against Messi, but Thuram defending on his stronger right leg could be as tough a defensive challenge that Messi has had in his career.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
@Pat_Mustard has build a great side and I really love the way he has set up.

However I just can't see LS losing this one. He upgraded the weak spot in Ziege and has done pretty well to put Messi and Maradona as far apart.

I don't think Kocsis will be dangerous in this game as he's well countered but Messi vs Vidic is advantage to LS considering the history between the two and the more outside rightish position he's in this match..

Sorry, Pat, really love your effort and your side in general and probably would've voted for you for any other opposition bar LS...
Thanks mate, and I really can't fault anyone who votes for the LS juggernaut!

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
For all of LS's likely dominance, I do wonder about those transitions. An early ball out wide to Brehme to build up the game, mostly untracked, could be a potent weapon here. Biggest concern for LS would be Romario against either of those centre-halves, I don't think either would relish playing against the wee man. A lot rides on whether Romario would get bored watching the bus parked 30 yards behind him for 90 minutes.

idmanager

Coming to Pat's team, I don't like Vieira there at all against the right heavy attack of LS.
I do love Sammer in the midfield, but then again, I don't fancy him doing a Lothar-esque job without a better partner than Vieira in pure defensive sense.
Someone like Tardelli or Davids perhaps.

Its also tough luck that it is a 5-3-2 against a 5-3-2.
I think a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-4-2 with super strong defenses with a non-attacking left back is the best (possibly only) way to counter this juggernaut.
You can match the midfield battle as hard as possible, but in most other formations, you would simply lose on direct player to player comparisons.

Pat_Mustard

@Enigma_87 @Moby @Gio I did consider switching Thuram and Vidic, and there's a strong case to be made for it, but there's an element of pick your poison as regards an elite-level midget Argie dribbler running at Vidic as you'd expect Maradona to breach the lines and attack the CBs at least a few times too. Vidic has played on both sides before to fine effect but I opted for the (lazy) approach of keeping Thuram on the side where he earned his stripes

Indnyc

On Messi vs. Vidic, even though Messi scored in both games against us, it is unfair to blame Vidic for it. He is playing here with a lot more protection.

In 08/09 Final, we had O'shea at right back and Anderson in midfield; in the 10/11 final, we had a midfield of Giggs and Carrick with Fabio at right back. Safe to say, there is a stronger team for @Pat_Mustard here.

If we are arguing that Messi scored against Vidic, then in the same light Shevchenko scored against Carlos in the champions league.

There isn't much difference between the midfield's or even the defenses. It is just a case of whether managers believe that @Pat_Mustard can actually score on the break and park the bus effectively against Messi and Maradona

Pat_Mustard

I like the 532 Pat is running. Probably his only hope of countering the sinister machine. I'd like to hear some more on World Cup Willi. I know @mazhar13 wrote a bit on him before.
How would he match stylistically against Kocsis? Is he playing as classic sweeper here not carrying the ball forward?

Also how do the managers see Carlos vs. Zanetti panning out?
Schulz is playing as a purely defensive sweeper here, as he did at his peak. Here's some info and his twice-yearly Kicker magazine rankings:

Willibald SCHULZ
World class: 6 times
International class: 11 times
Broad circle: 8 times
Considered: 3 times

Willi Schulz was a hard as iron right half and later sweeper who was known as the ‘the master of the sliding tackle’. He captained the national team 20 times and was arguably the most important defensive player during the second half of the 1960s. His international breakthrough was the 1966 World Cup after which he was considered as one of the very best central defenders in Europe. During the next four years, Schulz remained the undisputed standard sweeper of Germany. In November 1968, he was part of the FIFA XI that faced Brazil in Rio de Janeiro. Schulz would have been the standard sweeper of Germany during the 1970 World Cup, but an injury of the meniscus as well as a
calf bruise meant that he only started in two of the six World Cup games in Mexico. In his place, Karl-Heinz Schnellinger played as sweeper. After the 1970 World Cup, Schulz retired from international activities. He continued to play for Hamburger SV until 1973. Being a conservative sweeper with no urge to join the attack of his teams, Schulz focused on marshalling his defense. He was noted for his calmness even under pressure, his positional play, his strength at man-to-man duels, his solid passing game, aerial ability and a special expertise at
sliding tackling. For these traits as well as his consistency at the top level, Schulz was revered by German national team coach Helmut Schön, who preferred Schulz at the sweeper position to the younger and more adventurous Franz Beckenbauer, who had to play in midfield instead and only inherited the libero role for good after Schulz had retired from international duties in 1970.

1957:not considered[12/57]
1958: not considered
1959: broad circle [07/59] [#7 Half Back]
1959: broad circle[12/59] [#4 Half Back]
1960: broad circle [1960] [#4 Half Back]
1961: broad circle [07/61] [#3 Half Back]
1961: broad circle [12/61] [#2 Half Back]
1962: no ranking iss. [07/62]
1962: Internat. Cl. [12/62] [#1 Half Back]
1963: Internat. Cl.[07/63] [#1 Half Back]
1963: Internat. Cl.[12/63] [#1 Half Back]
1964: Internat. Cl.[07/64] [#1 Half Back]
1964:Internat. Cl.[12/64] [#1 Half Back]
1964:broad circle[12/64] [#4 Center Half]
1965: Internat. Cl.[07/65] [#2 Half Back]
1965: broad circle [07/65] [#3 Center Half]
1965: Internat. Cl.[12/65] [#4 Half Back]
1966: World Class [07/66] [#1 Central Defender]
1966: World Class [12/66] [#1 Central Defender]
1967: World Class [07/67] [#2 Central Defender]
1967: Internat. Cl. [12/67] [#1 Central Defender]
1968: Internat. Cl. [07/68] [#3 Central Defender]
1968: World Class [12/68] [#2 Central Defender]
1969: World Class [07/69] [#2 Central Defender]
1969: World Class [12/69] [#2 Central Defender]
1970: Internat. Cl. [07/70] [#3 Central Defender]
1970: Internat. Cl. [12/70] [#4 Central Defender]
1971: broad circle [07/71] [#5 Libero]
1971: considered [12/71] [Libero]
1972: considered_[07/72] [Libero]
1972: not considered [12/72]
1973: considered [07/73] [Libero]
and here's a great post from Enigma with highlights from some of his WC matches:

@Physiocrat @Pat_Mustard

All of the 1966 WC games are the tube, at which time he was 28 I think and pretty much at his peak.

I'm posting some highlights I think they are worth the watch. I've watched the full games a while back, mainly because of Beckenbauer, but you can get a glimpse of Schulz here and there and also his positioning and the way he regains his position after he's sliding into tackle is pretty good.

The videos are top quality considering the age and Schulz is #5 and der Kaiser is #4 in the videos.
Both Schulz and Vidic look well-suited to mitigating against Kocsis' threat in terms of style and quality - it's the other feckers in that attack that are the bigger concern stylistically.

As regards Zanetti vs Roberto Carlos, my honest view is that I rate Zanetti marginally higher, but there's feck all in it really and my opinion is as much based on Zanetti-love rather than anything concrete. The one advantage I see Zanetti having is that he's going to have more space to gallop into than Carlos, given that LS will be attacking a deep and congested defence.

harms

Staff
On Messi vs. Vidic, even though Messi scored in both games against us, it is unfair to blame Vidic for it. He is playing here with a lot more protection.

In 08/09 Final, we had O'shea at right back and Anderson in midfield; in the 10/11 final, we had a midfield of Giggs and Carrick with Fabio at right back. Safe to say, there is a stronger team for @Pat_Mustard here.

If we are arguing that Messi scored against Vidic, then in the same light Shevchenko scored against Carlos in the champions league.
He glanced through Vidic a couple of times like he wasn't there though. And Park was minding him most of the game, following to the middle, not just Giggs and Carrick

Pat_Mustard

For all of LS's likely dominance, I do wonder about those transitions. An early ball out wide to Brehme to build up the game, mostly untracked, could be a potent weapon here. Biggest concern for LS would be Romario against either of those centre-halves, I don't think either would relish playing against the wee man. A lot rides on whether Romario would get bored watching the bus parked 30 yards behind him for 90 minutes.
Aye, my wing backs will be an important weapon in mounting my counters. Zanetti's ability to carry the ball at pace shouldn't be underestimated either. I love this clip:

He was 38 years old...craziness. As regards Romario, he does seem to have a bit of experience playing in a deep line/counter-attacking setup. From a Tim Vickery preview of the 2000 World Club Championships:

The current team may lack the adventurous approach of some of their predecessors, but the backs-to-the-wall spirit is very much in evidence. Coach Antônio Lopes, a former police chief, bases his strategy on deep defence and rapid counter attacks. It has served him well. In this spell he has been in charge for over three years - an eternity in the chaotic world of Brazilian football.

Lopes' general on the field is the veteran Mauro Galvão, who directs operations from centre back. Brazil's sweeper in the 1990 World Cup, he was the peoples' choice to organise the national team's defence at France 98. Overlooked on age grounds, Mauro Galvão's chance will not come again. Now 38, time seems finally to have caught up with the Vasco captain. After years of immaculate service, he has looked vulnerable in recent months, and Vasco rushed him into a knee operation in an effort to get him ready for the tournament.

Edmundo is also struggling for fitness after tearing a muscle. The gifted, but hot-tempered striker is known as the Animal. His goals took Vasco to the 1997 Brazilian title, and he returned to the club in June after a predictably turbulent 18 months in Italy with Fiorentina. He appears to have lost some of his accelaration, perhaps troubled by the four-and-a-half year jail sentence hanging over his head for his part in a road accident. The Animal recently spent a night behind bars until his lawyers got him out on appeal.

Edmundo is set to be partnered by Romário, who has just rejoined the club with which he first made his name.
After injury forced him out of the last World Cup, Romário is anxious to show that even at nearly 34 he remains one of the world's top strikers. The performance of the Romário-Edmundo combination is sure to be one of the most fascinating aspects of the tournament.
Romario went on to have a superb stint at Vasco that time around, (scoring just over a goal a game in two of three years if Wiki is correct)starting with the beatdown he and Edmundo laid on Utd:

Indnyc

He glanced through Vidic a couple of times like he wasn't there though. And Park was minding him most of the game, following to the middle, not just Giggs and Carrick
Possibly and i don't deny that Vidic isn't the best fit for Messi but he has a lot of support including Brehme especially as i understand from the formation Gerets isn't going to be the attacking full back to overload the left side

Last edited:

TheReligion

Abusive
Aye, my wing backs will be an important weapon in mounting my counters. Zanetti's ability to carry the ball at pace shouldn't be underestimated either. I love this clip:

He was 38 years old...craziness. As regards Romario, he does seem to have a bit of experience playing in a deep line/counter-attacking setup. From a Tim Vickery preview of the 2000 World Club Championships:

Romario went on to have a superb stint at Vasco that time around, (scoring just over a goal a game in two of three years if Wiki is correct)starting with the beatdown he and Edmundo laid on Utd:

Gary Neville cost United against Vasco. Two absolute howlers of backpasses.

Enigma_87

You know who

There isn't much difference between the midfield's or even the defenses. It is just a case of whether managers believe that @Pat_Mustard can actually score on the break and park the bus effectively against Messi and Maradona
I can surely understand where you come from mate. You also have Sammer there to mind Maradona in a deep line who is also a pretty good fit for him stylistically.

I'll monitor the thread surely as you have an excellent team full of favorite players of mine - including Sheva who tends to get a bit underrated in all time drafts.
As regards Zanetti vs Roberto Carlos, my honest view is that I rate Zanetti marginally higher, but there's feck all in it really and my opinion is as much based on Zanetti-love rather than anything concrete. The one advantage I see Zanetti having is that he's going to have more space to gallop into than Carlos, given that LS will be attacking a deep and congested defence.
I'll take Zanetti if we're going by the whole package. Slim difference of course but at his peak he shades it especially in counter attacking set up.

I know @Moby probably is on the same opinion. :D

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
pat made the gap as small as it can be but the gap is still there unfortunately for him.....reckon in 10 games, pat would nick one or two game while lord would get three or four. Even though i dont think Messi and Diego are a good pair its still a insane team in every other aspect.

Pat_Mustard

Gary Neville cost United against Vasco. Two absolute howlers of backpasses.
Aye, he was fecking dismal :lol:. That's one of the only Utd matches ever that I can recall enjoying despite us getting pasted. Probably mostly because no-one quite knew what to make of that tournament in the first place, and also because it was cool to see that batshit crazy Romario/Edmundo partnership actually click. That Edmundo goal :drool:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Such a predator feasting on Gaz's naivety. Love Barry Davies' commentary as well, totally nails that first goal.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
@Enigma_87 @Moby @Gio I did consider switching Thuram and Vidic, and there's a strong case to be made for it, but there's an element of pick your poison as regards an elite-level midget Argie dribbler running at Vidic as you'd expect Maradona to breach the lines and attack the CBs at least a few times too. Vidic has played on both sides before to fine effect but I opted for the (lazy) approach of keeping Thuram on the side where he earned his stripes
It does strike you straight away. Mind you, Romario vs. Stam is much the same. A crucial difference is you are sitting deep so Stam is more exposed than Vidic.

Personally, I would have swapped Sammer and Vieira instead of the CBs. Think Sammer could support Vidic better than Vieira (i.e. adding something different to complement/hide any weaknesses, which I don't think Vieira would all that much).

Pat_Mustard

Good post mate, cheers. Shevchenko's goal for Milan is uncannily like the sort of surgical, counter-attacking goal I'm hoping for here:

Roberto Carlos, playing in a star-studded, Galactico team, gets caught upfield. A great playmaker (Kopa for Rui Costa) spots Shevchenko's run from deep on the right wing and finds him with a perfectly weighted through ball. Shevchenko outpaces the CBs and finishes with his customary aplomb :). He actually scored 3 times in two games against Roberto Carlos' Real for Dynamo Kiev in 1999 too.

Pat_Mustard

Such a predator feasting on Gaz's naivety. Love Barry Davies' commentary as well, totally nails that first goal.
Barry Davies was a better commentator than Motson imo. It was harsh that Motty got the lion's share of the best football matches, although Davies had other strings to his bow, not least his ability to commentate on cartoon staring matches.

Indnyc

Good post mate, cheers. Shevchenko's goal for Milan is uncannily like the sort of surgical, counter-attacking goal I'm hoping for here:

Roberto Carlos, playing in a star-studded, Galactico team, gets caught upfield. A great playmaker (Kopa for Rui Costa) spots Shevchenko's run from deep on the right wing and finds him with a perfectly weighted through ball. Shevchenko outpaces the CBs and finishes with his customary aplomb :). He actually scored 3 times in two games against Roberto Carlos' Real for Dynamo Kiev in 1999 too.
Cheers. I wanted to post that goal as well :drool:

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
Possibly and i don't deny that Vidic isn't the best fit for Messi but he has a lot of support including Brehme especially as i understand from the formation Gerets isn't going to be the attacking full back to overload the left side
According to the formation Gerets indeed an attacking wingback who starts deep but is forming a partnership with Messi.
Brehme cannot risk giving full concentration to Messi to support Vidic as he has to mind Greets who will always be looking to exploit the space left by Brehme, always giving outlet to Messi for exchanges and minding Messi would mean Vida will be one v one, and peak Messiah vs peak Vida is a no brainer. Asides I have man by man advantage in the midfield leaving Maradona free.
Sammer and Vieira if they try to mind Maradona they will leave Keane and Tigana free and give them free space , while also Isolating Kopa who will still have the wall Beckenbauer in front of him.

Pat_Mustard

Carlos is not minding Sheva, he is against Forster.
Shevchenko and Romario will often peel wide and start their runs from the space behind your wing backs. With Carlos in particular committing to supporting the attack as per your write up, there will be space there. Are Forster and Stam man-marking my strikers or playing zonally?

Pat_Mustard

It does strike you straight away. Mind you, Romario vs. Stam is much the same. A crucial difference is you are sitting deep so Stam is more exposed than Vidic.

Personally, I would have swapped Sammer and Vieira instead of the CBs. Think Sammer could support Vidic better than Vieira (i.e. adding something different to complement/hide any weaknesses, which I don't think Vieira would all that much).
What's your thinking here Anto? Sammer's ability to see danger and drop back into central defence would add another layer of protection I guess, but then Schulz is already there providing that cover. I liked Sammer as an intelligent and dogged sentry in Maradona's zone instead, but I can see the arguments either way.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
What's your thinking here Anto? Sammer's ability to see danger and drop back into central defence would add another layer of protection I guess, but then Schulz is already there providing that cover. I liked Sammer as an intelligent and dogged sentry in Maradona's zone instead, but I can see the arguments either way.
My thinking is Zanetti-Thuram is watertight so would rather have Vieira fannying around on that side with Sammer on the side facing more danger to begin with.