Dominoes Draft SF2 - Pat_Mustard vs Lord SInister

Who will win based on all the players at their respective peaks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Yeah it was too defensive in hindsight. I settled on this side as being the best balanced.

-------------Romario----------
--------------Kopa--------------
Brehme-Sammer-Vieria-Gerrard--
J.Zanetti--Schulz-Vidic--Thuram
--------------Kahn---------------
Meh, Pat's side was better

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Pat's side is better suited for this game, that's what I mean.
Yeah I got that, I just thought given that Messi is being portrayed as LS match winner I would see if I could tighten the defence even more but keep some goals on the counter. My first attempt was too defensive and hit on this as a happier medium.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Idmanager ran him really close in the first round. It was more or less a draw with LS going forward on a technicality amidst controversy.
Not to throw more salt on his wound but I was going to vote for @idmanager but couldn't get online again before the finish.
also, not that it mattered but I was going to vote for SInister here too but didn't make it either

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I was not a fan of the Zanetti pick in hindsight. Curious to hear from @Pat_Mustard if he would have gone for him if he knew he was drawing LS?

Sinister's left flank is controlled just by a left wingback with only 1 target to aim at who is well covered by the CBs while Pat has possibly the best player in Thurram for the RCB role.
Perhaps it might have been a good idea to have a RWB/RB less formation with an extra body in midfield for pure defensive work.
Something like this would have been very interesting IMO to nullify Maradona and Messi while keeping tabs on Keana/Tigana not having too much space.

Carlos would have the game of his life.

idmanager

Carlos would have the game of his life.
I wouldn't mind that if it means Messi and Maradona are shut and the midfield battle is won.
With Kocsis being the lone target, makes things easier to defend.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
I was not a fan of the Zanetti pick in hindsight. Curious to hear from @Pat_Mustard if he would have gone for him if he knew he was drawing LS?

Sinister's left flank is controlled just by a left wingback with only 1 target to aim at who is well covered by the CBs while Pat has possibly the best player in Thurram for the RCB role.
Perhaps it might have been a good idea to have a RWB/RB less formation with an extra body in midfield for pure defensive work.
Something like this would have been very interesting IMO to nullify Maradona and Messi while keeping tabs on Keana/Tigana not having too much space.

I don't like the idea at all to be honest. As @Gio says, Roberto Carlos would run riot if I set up like that. He wouldn't just be swinging crosses in towards Kocsis either. He'd be driving towards the byline or the penalty area, looking for cutbacks, passing infield or taking shots himself. Players would have to go out there to defend against him, a far harder task against Carlos when he's already built up speed, and that packed centre quickly gets pulled out of shape anyway. The other obvious play would be, when LS is attacking from his right side, for Messi to play his trademark right-to-left diagonal through ball and find Carlos unmarked and bursting into the box. I strongly think the set up I played is less vulnerable to losing its defensive shape than the above.

As regards the Zanetti reinforcement in general, I'm pretty sure I'd still have taken him if I'd known I was playing LS. It was between him and Cafu, and Zanetti looks the better fit for defending against this sort of onslaught. Something that just occured to me after reading your post was that I could have shifted Brehme to RWB and picked Roberto Carlos myself just to deny him to LS. Carlos would have been a bit gung-ho to be ideal for my own gameplan, but I cant think of any other good left back that he played with, so it might have meant LS having to play Ziege again.