Donald Trump - All things impeachment.... | Acquitted in the Senate

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Firestarter

I'm open to any other reasons that Pelosi thought it was a good idea to send over the articles before she had it in writing that the trial would be a legitimate one.
They probably didn't want to drag to much into the primaries. With the end result already determined and all that...

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
I see Pelosi is getting some flak here again. I haven’t really paid attention the last week, so would someone tell me why?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I see Pelosi is getting some flak here again. I haven’t really paid attention the last week, so would someone tell me why?
She has given McConnell and Trump a free pass in determining the timing and procedure of the trial.
I don't understand Revan's point about internal polling. She has given Trump the opportunity to spin this however he wants infront of the entire country. I refuse to believe any poll has made this a good choice.
She has done what all centrist Dems are always guilty of doing.
Act in good faith with the hope the Republicans will reciprocate. There's not much more to it that that.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
She has given McConnell and Trump a free pass in determining the timing and procedure of the trial.
I don't understand Revan's point about internal polling. She has given Trump the opportunity to spin this however he wants infront of the entire country. I refuse to believe any poll has made this a good choice.
Act in good faith with the hope the Republicans will reciprocate. There's not much more to it that that.
Thanks for that. What does it mean exactly when you say that she’s given them a free pass in determining the timing and procedure of the trial?

Surely, she’s clever enough to know that any goodwill from her won’t be returned as the lemmings have one objective only, and that sure as hell isn’t an impartial trial - McConnell admitted as much himself.

Adisa

Thanks for that. What does it mean exactly when you say that she’s given them a free pass in determining the timing and procedure of the trial?

Surely, she’s clever enough to know that any goodwill from her won’t be returned as the lemmings have one objective only, and that sure as hell isn’t an impartial trial - McConnell admitted as much himself.
Right from the start, the Republicans did not want thing going into the State of The Union address cause they feared Trump running his mouth could put GOP senate members under threat, in an awkward position. Even if the Senate was always going to acquit him, the least she could have done is give him an opportunity to embarrass himself.
Now Turtle will bury this trial without much blowback.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
Right from the start, the Republicans did not want thing going into the State of The Union address cause they feared Trump running his mouth could put GOP senate members under threat, in an awkward position. Even if the Senate was always going to acquit him, the least she could have done is give him an opportunity to embarrass himself.
Now Turtle will bury this trial without much blowback.
Excuse my ignorance, but what has she done to prevent him from embarrassing himself in the State of the Union?

Revan

Assumptionman
I would be totally surprised if both Dems and Republicans aren't doing polls in seeing how people are feeling about this thing. If more people than not think that the trial needs to be done, delaying it will only harm the Democrats and potentially cost them the election. They will totally look obstructionists, for impeaching him, and then not allowing him to have a trial.

At the end of the day, rules are rules. The House decides in the articles of the impeachment (without Senate having a say there), and the Senate decides in the trial (without the House having a say there). Each chamber decides its own rules, however they want. When chambers are rules from different parties, there is not much that can be done.

Adisa

I would be totally surprised if both Dems and Republicans aren't doing polls in seeing how people are feeling about this thing. If more people than not think that the trial needs to be done, delaying it will only harm the Democrats and potentially cost them the election. They will totally look obstructionists, for impeaching him, and then not allowing him to have a trial.

At the end of the day, rules are rules. The House decides in the articles of the impeachment (without Senate having a say there), and the Senate decides in the trial (without the House having a say there). Each chamber decides its own rules, however they want. When chambers are rules from different parties, there is not much that can be done.
I know they would be doing polling. My point is that I fail to agree with you that Pelosi made the decision based on polling.

Adisa

Excuse my ignorance, but what has she done to prevent him from embarrassing himself in the State of the Union?
She hasn't done anything to stop him embarrassing himself. What the GOP were trying to avoid was Trump delivering that speech with a trial hanging over his head. Everyone knows he can't control himself. So best to eliminate the risk. Pelosi handing over the articles have have made that easy.
Santorum at the end spilling what we know the GOP were thinking.

Revan

Assumptionman
I know they would be doing polling. My point is that I fail to agree with you that Pelosi made the decision based on polling.
Most independents don't support impeaching Trump (well, now it is removing Trump), and I think that since this started, the trend has been going only in one direction.

Delaying it will only harm Democrats. Just be done with it, and focus on the election. Cause he is not going to be removed, and if all this achieves it is another 4-year term for him, then it would be a bit counter-productive on continuing.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
She hasn't done anything to stop him embarrassing himself. What the GOP were trying to avoid was Trump delivering that speech with a trial hanging over his head. Everyone knows he can't control himself. So best to eliminate the risk. Pelosi handing over the articles have have made that easy.
Santorum at the end spilling what we know the GOP were thinking.
I see. You have to wonder what Nancy’s thinking as she’s obviously smart so there must be some reasoning behind it other than just being gracious.

Again, thanks a lot!

Maticmaker

Cause he is not going to be removed, and if all this achieves it is another 4-year term for him, then it would be a bit counter-productive on continuing.
Looking like a 'failed coup' wouldn't you say? ;)

Drifter

American
Why do MSM think Romney is going to be the saviour. He does not sound like he is willing to vote with Dems.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Why do MSM think Romney is going to be the saviour. He does not sound like he is willing to vote with Dems.
Because they are in the business of selling drama and "this guy might flip!?!?!" generates more clicks/viewers than "they gonna kill it anyway".

Revan

Assumptionman
Same reason it was always mentioned that Jeff Flake would vote against Trump. Like Flake, Romney has talked against Trump. Unlike Flake (who had to retire cause of that), Romney actually has enough support from his voters to do whatever he wants. he can easily wear a 'Trump is a cnut' shirt and still win the elections in his country.

However, he hasn't shown any sign that he might vote against party orders, so I doubt there is something that might happen.

I think that Murkowski is the only Republican senator who actually has a spine. Collins might follow her (or not), but that is it.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Same reason it was always mentioned that Jeff Flake would vote against Trump. Like Flake, Romney has talked against Trump. Unlike Flake (who had to retire cause of that), Romney actually has enough support from his voters to do whatever he wants. he can easily wear a 'Trump is a cnut' shirt and still win the elections in his country.

However, he hasn't shown any sign that he might vote against party orders, so I doubt there is something that might happen.

I think that Murkowski is the only Republican senator who actually has a spine. Collins might follow her (or not), but that is it.
I don't think Romney thinks gives a second thought about his voters, he will do whatever he needs to do to please the donors pouring money into his super pac.

Revan

Assumptionman
I don't think Romney thinks gives a second thought about his voters, he will do whatever he needs to do to please the donors pouring money into his super pac.
He's rich as feck, anyway. What I meant is that he is one of the very few Republicans who can vote however he wants, without having electoral consequences.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
What time is the first votes on the procedure again? Can’t wait to be disappointed in Romney, Murkowski and Collins.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
McConnell is allowing evidence automatically unless there is objections.

So new tactic is to filibuster by arguing over evidence I guess. He’s changed it from a debate outside of trial hours followed by one vote into hundreds of debates over evidence burning up the trial hours.

You can’t help but admire the turtle.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
McConnell is allowing evidence automatically unless there is objections.

So new tactic is to filibuster by arguing over evidence I guess. He’s changed it from a debate outside of trial hours followed by one vote into hundreds of debates over evidence burning up the trial hours.

You can’t help but admire the turtle.
Maybe. None of the highly engaged voters were expecting this to result in Trump's removal. The more the rules are changed, and the cloudier the arguments become, you have to think it becomes clearer to the less engaged, often Independent voters that the GOP is blatantly covering things for Trump.

Part of Trump's appeal to independents in 2016 was that he was an outsider, not just another corrupt DC politician. That difference could disappear at the ballot box if he gets judged like all the rest of the career politicians who, for the most part, are unliked and distrusted.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Schumer amendment to subpoena Ukraine docs from the White House gets voted down.

ChaddyP

I suppose that it became clear that McConnell has no interest in making a deal with Pelosi, and the internal polls showed that not sending the articles will harm the Dems.
that was my thinking aswell. Her caucus started pressuring her to do send over the articles. Senate dems were coming on tv and telling her to hand them over, even one of her House comittee chairmen came on CNN and said it was time she handed them over. Not sure what more she could have done, she doesnt want to lose the house just beucase it would be funny to give trump a SOTU impeached but not yet aquitted

RedPed

Whatabouter.
The difference between the Reps and Dems in the opening debates is just staggering. How any Republican can sit through this without feeling ashamed is just baffling.

The Dems have just presented fact after fact in the debates and the Reps have just deflected, Just look at their notes ffs.

Adisa

Don't think I can watch any part of the trial. My blood would just boil.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
He's not done,

The dems are given 2x24 hours to present the whole case, they'll somehow ruled not enough evidence at best, no wrongdoing at worst. And Trumps going to milk it to the 2020
This is brand new information

Revan

Assumptionman
Just read the recap of the first day. Essentially, the only victory of Democrats was to get 3 days (for each side) instead of 2 days for the opening arguments (thanks to Susan Collins whole might be vulnerable for the first time in her career). Other than that, Schumer offering amendments to subpoena witnesses, with McConnell and GOP shutting them down in voting strictly along the party lines (except in one case when Collins joined Democrats).

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Just read the recap of the first day. Essentially, the only victory of Democrats was to get 3 days (for each side) instead of 2 days for the opening arguments (thanks to Susan Collins whole might be vulnerable for the first time in her career). Other than that, Schumer offering amendments to subpoena witnesses, with McConnell and GOP shutting them down in voting strictly along the party lines (except in one case when Collins joined Democrats).
Exactly as expected. The entire point of this impeachment has been firstly to ensure that Trump's behaviour is condemned by the House and that goes on his record. Secondly to put the Senate Republicans on trial and show the country just how corrupt they are.

The polls show that the trial was effective in changing opinion about Trump and we've just got to hope that the Democrats are able to make their argument about the behaviour of Republican senators and propagate the message that they are all corrupt and complicit and breaking down the fabric of the country to protect a mad man.

Support amongst independents has jumped 12 points since the impeachment enquiry was announced:

Source: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/impeachment-polls/

Revan

Assumptionman
Exactly as expected. The entire point of this impeachment has been firstly to ensure that Trump's behaviour is condemned by the House and that goes on his record. Secondly to put the Senate Republicans on trial and show the country just how corrupt they are.

The polls show that the trial was effective in changing opinion about Trump and we've just got to hope that the Democrats are able to make their argument about the behaviour of Republican senators and propagate the message that they are all corrupt and complicit and breaking down the fabric of the country to protect a mad man.

Support amongst independents has jumped 12 points since the impeachment enquiry was announced:

Source: https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/impeachment-polls/
Yep, this doesn't sound too bad. On second thought, maybe Pelosi shouldn't have sent the articles for another few days, just to ensure that the trial is still happening when he will address the congress, and there he would have dissed Collins and Gardner (assuming that they at least try to give the impression of being fair), which then could have been used for the senate election.

I liked how Schumer played it yesterday. Obviously, the results of each vote were known beforehand, but by forcing everything to go to a vote, at least it becomes clear for everyone (well independents, the others have already made up their mind) to see that Republicans are not willing to have a fair trial. In general, I think that Schumer gets too much stick for losing battles, and for not being able to control his caucus (which is insane). He has done as good as is possible to do under the circumstances (with Republicans controlling the Senate with a majority leader who wants no compromise, in addition to having the presidency and until 2019 the House too). It was always a lose-lose situation for him, whatever he does would have looked bad. Let's not forget that until Republicans got control of the senate, McTurtle (who might be the best Machiavellian politician in recent history) essentially was losing every battle against Obama/Reid (bar in cases where Biden intervened). It is all about the numbers.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Too late see below

That's not nice!

Really? I think I'm spot on!

Come on guys admit, its shaping up to be a likely 'failed coup'
You're like a 4 year old who has managed to find a joke that made the adults laugh a couple of times and is now walking around the house repeating it endlessly expecting to get the same reaction every time.

NWRed

The one thing I'll say - generally agreeing with the criticism here - is that Pelosi is widely regarded as better at all this sht then anyone. So I wouldn't claim to see her plan, but I have some faith there is one.
It does make sense if you think about it:

Trump is guilty, and it's so obvious that if all the witnesses were called and documents seen the Republicans who understand their moral responsibility (and those in purple states) would have no choice but to vote to impeach. If Trump is actually removed the Republicans would have a more popular and viable candidate this Noveber and with Trump's base motivated probably more than last time it would ensure a Republican victory. With that in mind the Democrats probably think it's better to force the Republicans into blocking of a fair trial and then aquiting him. It means they get to run against an unpopular and proven but not convicted criminal in November. That would probably swing most independents to the Dems and ensure their candidate wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.