Donkai Havertz | Arsenal Watch

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
I said it all along. Chuck him up front and you’ll see a better Havertz. This is who he is now.
That still isn't good enough for Arsenal though, At Arsenal he has scored around the same amount at Chelsea 7-8 PL goals and that wasn't good enough for us.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
That still isn't good enough for Arsenal though, At Arsenal he has scored around the same amount at Chelsea 7-8 PL goals and that wasn't good enough for us.
Cheslea sold him to Arsenal for good money already, and it is now Arteta's problem. No worry.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
So im not allowed to have an opinion anymore?
Everyone understands Havertz was not good enough for Chelsea and that's why he is sold. Whether he is good enough for Arsenal that is for Arteta to decide and that is his problem. When Arteta bought him he probably fully aware Havertz's stats in Chelsea. This is a forum and of course you can voice your opinion and keep bashing Havertz. That is absolutely fine. If you can be more specific on why he is not good enough for Arteta other than not score enough goals (Jesus only has 11 EPL goals last season) that would be great.

Last edited:

Gene Loblaw

Supports
Arsenal
It's only one third of the way through the season though. He's on pace to score 11 to 12 I guess. Not a prolific record but it's still a pretty decent tally for a midfielder/false nine. And he took penalties for chelsea which he's only done once for arsenal. All in all, he's undeniably been more productive under Arteta.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
It's only one third of the way through the season though. He's on pace to score 11 to 12 I guess. Not a prolific record but it's still a pretty decent tally for a midfielder/false nine. And he took penalties for chelsea which he's only done once for arsenal. All in all, he's undeniably been more productive under Arteta.
He took some penalties, but he wasn’t ever the penalty taker. That was always Jorginho. And yet still, Havertz will most likely have his most productive season in England this season.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
I probably have to disagree - Havertz is one of our 5 players who have at least 10 goal contributions in PL this season. He has 7 goals and 3 assists. I read somewhere that we're the only club in the PL to have 5 players in double digits for goal contributions (Saka, Odgeaard, Havertz, Martinelli, Rice). If we assume Havertz was brought in to replace Xhaka, Xhaka had 15 goal contributions last season (7 goals, 8 assists). Considering Havertz has spent a big chunk the of the season playing in midfield, that's a pretty good return and could very well match Xhaka's numbers, especially as he's playing up front right now. All in all, I'd say Arteta would be happy enough with Havertz's season so far, despite taking some time to settle into the team.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Chalk this down to another one the caf got wrong
Everyone, including Arsenal fans got it wrong. Still a bit too much money but since he's found his rythm, he's been very useful upfront.

Oranges038

On a yellow. Dives.

No second yellow.

Scores the winner.

Another good day for the referees.

Daydreamer

Supports
Arsenal
4 goals + 2 assists in his last 4 games. His all round games has been good for a while, but he added end product recently. I’m hoping he keeps it up.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Should have been sent off really. Pathetic by the ref. Great goal though. His threat in the air is an underrated part of his game.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
Should have walked but Brentford players could have had half a dozen yellows for feigning injury, blocking free kicks and gk punts, waiving imaginary cards over and over ever. Not exactly any leg to stand on for Brentford. Funny how that stopped when they went behind. Ref should have given a clear penalty for the Trossard pull back just before that. Poorly reffed game overall.

Last edited:

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
Should have been sent off really. Pathetic by the ref. Great goal though. His threat in the air is an underrated part of his game.
The only consistent attribute he has.

Captmfla

Yes even a flop like Havertz can deliver. If only we can trust our players like Mount or Antony, then they would surely perform and win games eventually. We all know that they are above average as compared to a normal top division player.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal
I don't know why Arteta first planned to play him in midfield when he's clearly best upfront. He is a beast and headache for defenders, brilliant off the ball. On the ball, his touch and passing has improved quite a bit, perhaps he's just settled into the team now and has that understanding with his teammates. He does seem to be a clutch player.

VARsenal

Supports
Arsenal
Think you're being a bit disingenuous simply saying he's scored 7-8 goals which is the same as at Chelsea.
He's come into Arsenal super low on confidence because of his Chelsea stint. He's had to adapt to a new system and a new role in a team where all the fans basically hated him from the get go. If he was gonna make some kind of turn around then it would be expected he'd need some time, so I don't think it's fair to compare his early season adapting form with what he's producing now that he's more adapted to Arsenal. He's been very good since the turn of the year, and though he's not perfect by any means, if he can keep his current level and improve further then that transfer fee may end up looking like small change and another one that got away from Chelsea.

Changeisgood

Supports
Arsenal
He is popping up in a lot of good spaces. I am not going to pretend his finishing is good because he missed a great chance to knock in that second goal much earlier on and even his header could have been saved. But unlike at the start of the season he is way less peripheral. He belongs upfront and can cover a midfielder if they have committed themselves.

If he could get more ruthless, we would be in excellent shape upfront.

Trossard had a poor game today. Didn't help things.

macheda14

I don't know why Arteta first planned to play him in midfield when he's clearly best upfront. He is a beast and headache for defenders, brilliant off the ball. On the ball, his touch and passing has improved quite a bit, perhaps he's just settled into the team now and has that understanding with his teammates. He does seem to be a clutch player.
Yeh it’s a weird one where I could argue it was still a bad signing on Arteta’s part because he wanted to mould him into something he is not - he was never going to be a second 8 above a single pivot. But now that he’s playing him to his strengths he’s come alive. What is funny is he was played as a false 9 a fair amount at Chelsea but it just didnt work at all, but now he’s surrounded by a lot of energy it’s really working well.

CannonBalls

Supports
Arsenal
Yeh it’s a weird one where I could argue it was still a bad signing on Arteta’s part because he wanted to mould him into something he is not - he was never going to be a second 8 above a single pivot. But now that he’s playing him to his strengths he’s come alive. What is funny is he was played as a false 9 a fair amount at Chelsea but it just didnt work at all, but now he’s surrounded by a lot of energy it’s really working well.
Well what is funny is when he scored the winner Jesus was playing as Striker and he was playing behind him.

But I do agree he is a good Striker. Should start ahead of Jesus.

Captmfla

Doesn't take a genius to realise he'd do better closer to goal. feck knows what Arteta was thinking with him at the start of the season.
The issue is Arsenal has many strikers like Gabriel Jesus, Nketiah, Nelson, Trossard although none of them makes the positions theirs.

Then Saka, Martinelli and Oedgaard makes their position theirs in RW, LW and AMC.

So Havertz can only take the remaining position since he isn't as clinical as some of the strikers yet not as good as Saka, Martinelli and Oedgaard.

Well what is funny is when he scored the winner Jesus was playing as Striker and he was playing behind him.

Haha the issue is sometimes Gabriel Jesus play better than him. So Arsenal has too many second rated strikers but don't have one like Haaland or even Alvarez/Hojlund.

GoonerGirly

Supports
Arsenal

I think the way our players interchange and swap positions is really giving us the edge in matches. We have become more unpredictable and Havertz is probably one of our best players off the ball in terms of his movement. Havertz has shown he can interchange quite well with Trossard and Martinelli. Hopefully Arteta can keep improving his finishing, he should have had another goal tonight.

Andersonson

He fits the style and is a very good all round footballer. He has now added goals lately so it's looking for very good for arsenal. Not a bad time to hit form

ThatsGreat

Supports
Arsenal
Artetas experiment with him in the midfield probably cost us the title. Shouldn't take someone so long to understand what a player's best position is.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Artetas experiment with him in the midfield probably cost us the title. Shouldn't take someone so long to understand what a player's best position is.
Without Arteta Arsenal won't be even in the discussion of title race. It always takes time to bed in new player in a new team and tactics.

Last edited:

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
He's turning in to another example of how poor our new owners and sporting directors judgement of players has been.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Is he feck, he couldn’t fight his way out of a wet paper bag. He’s got some good attributes, but he’s soft as shite.

LilienFan

Supports
Darmstadt
He's turning in to another example of how poor our new owners and sporting directors judgement of players has been.
To be fair you replaced a CL winning front-line under the age of 25 of Werner - Havertz - Mount to shoehorn Lukaku in long before the new owners. It was one of the most baffling decisions ever. And if Lukaku doesn´t start the bad loss against Madrid in the first leg, there is a decent chance you actually repeat as champions league winners. Chelsea dominated the return leg with their trusted CL-winning line-up against Madrid.

Just the same like it´s absolutely baffling how people cannot see how good Havertz is for Arsenal and that some traditional striker would not nearly have the same positive effect. Next time, just watch how he reads the offside traps with his movement. He rarely gets caught out. Watch his off the ball work offensively and especially defensively. He kills so many opposing attacks with his pressing and tracking back. He direct the press from the front. He´s also one of the fastest players, although he doesn´t look it, due to his body shape.

And while Havertz has missed some great chances, everything is about the perception and narrative the media want to create.

Literally the whole list of leading goalscorer in the EPL is also led by the guys that missed the most chances.

Goals/Missed Chances

Haaland 1/1
Watkins 2/3
Salah 3/9
Solanke 4/8
Bowen 4/9
Son 6/61 (damn son, now that is an effective striker, 61st on missed chances)
Saka 6/9
Isak 8/5
Foden 8/36 (making up for HaHaland misisng so much )
Richarlison 10/18 (Tottenham are pretty clinical)
Hee-Chan 10/25
Palmer 10/61 (penalty Palmer)
Nunez 10/2 (so reputation earned I guess)

Havertz 19/14

Just to complete the list, here are the guys that are in top 10 in misses, but not goals scored.

Jackson 19/4
Calvert Lewin 80/5 (wow)
Hojlund 26/5
Sterling 33/9
Wissa 26/9

Last edited:

footyfan019

Supports
Arsenal
On a yellow. Dives.

No second yellow.

Scores the winner.

Another good day for the referees.
The first yellow he got itself should not have been a yellow. Standard of refs in PL is very poor, don't expect much from them.