Donkai Havertz | Arsenal Watch

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
If Chelsea actually recoup the £60m they spent on him in the first place, then that is some incredible work.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Premier league seems too faster for him in my opinion. Here most teams press well in middle and final third. In Bundesliga he got bit more time and space.

He seemed rushed into judgements. His height with lean structure always keep him in disadvantage when carrying ball due to higher center of gravity and losing balance.

He will never achieve greatness if he plays in midfield in pl. If arsenal want to use him there then they will be disappointed.
There is no way the average EPL team presses better in midfield and final third than the average Bundesliga team. They may lack individual quality but against the ball, they're more ambitious, sophisticated and cohesive than EPL teams. Havertz never had an issue with that and he could really thrive in a possession oriented team just as he did under Peter Bosz. My bet would be that Arsenal knows what it is doing.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Just another great example of Chelsea's out-of-the-world sales department fleecing another top club. It is unbelievable how they manage to do that so consistently. The most overwhelming top-dollar player I can think of in recent times, alongside the likes of Shevchenko, Veron, Lukaku, and Sancho.
Just by not giving them absurd salaries? But i think thats not the case here as he is on 300k pw

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Just another great example of Chelsea's out-of-the-world sales department fleecing another top club. It is unbelievable how they manage to do that so consistently. The most overwhelming top-dollar player I can think of in recent times, alongside the likes of Shevchenko, Veron, Lukaku, and Sancho.
Why do you reckon Arsenal, Bayern and Madrid were interested in him?

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
If Chelsea actually recoup the £60m they spent on him in the first place, then that is some incredible work.
Depending on what article you read, Chelsea actually spent at least £72M on him, some say rising to £80M with add ons.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Depending on what article you read, Chelsea actually spent at least £72M on him, some say rising to £80M with add ons.
German media reported that the UCL win already ensured the full sum of €100m had to be paid by Chelsea. We also might get another €3m or so if he goes to Arsenal according to some sources

Ludens the Red

There is no way the average EPL team presses better in midfield and final third than the average Bundesliga team. They may lack individual quality but against the ball, they're more ambitious, sophisticated and cohesive than EPL teams. Havertz never had an issue with that and he could really thrive in a possession oriented team just as he did under Peter Bosz. My bet would be that Arsenal knows what it is doing.
Yup, myth peddled by a lot that numerous PL teams are pressing machines when in reality it’s just a couple.
Haven’t seen any statistics for last season but a few years ago Bundesliga was the highest for pressing actions. Having watched PL and Bundesliga this season I’d be amazed if that’s changed. The majority of Pl teams don’t press high and in packs.

TheLord

Just by not giving them absurd salaries? But i think thats not the case here as he is on 300k pw
My only point is that Chelsea are able to get enormous value for mediocre players. That's only relative to how our business model works (cannot work!).
Why do you reckon Arsenal, Bayern and Madrid were interested in him?
People are also interested in Sancho. Interest means nothing.

Ronaldinho's snakebite

Havertz had his best spell with us when he played as an 8 next to another creative midfielder and a holding CDM behind them. My best guess would be that Arteta wants him to replace Xhaka, so he can play next to Odegaard with Rice behind them. I for one would like to see it.
He had his best spell with you when he played as a false nine

Lecland07

I really don't get how there is interest in this guy from top clubs. The guy is supposed to be an attacking player and he cannot score.

Also, if Havertz is going for £60m, I can see why they are asking for the same for Mount.

L1nk

FYI Arsenal have done all this in between the time its taken between our first and currently mythical second bid for Mason Mount, what the feck are we even doing

Rolaholic

Chelsea doing a job clearing their squad out in quick succession, must be nice

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

FYI Arsenal have done all this in between the time its taken between our first and currently mythical second bid for Mason Mount, what the feck are we even doing
I wonder what his contract will be like at Arsenal considering it was so beefy at Chelsea.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

65 million pounds :lol:

Well done Chelsea.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea

You probably don't rate mount highly to be honest. May be it's opportunity signing but negotiations not going well you may back off from it.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Whilst I’m not devastated at him going I am a bit miffed at us selling him to Arsenal. I think he’ll do very well there.

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
Whilst I’m not devastated at him going I am a bit miffed at us selling him to Arsenal. I think he’ll do very well there.
Same.

Didn't believe for a second he could still be a success with us so I was very much in favor of selling him but him going to Arsenal could easily come back to bite us in the arse. Or it could go tits up for him at Arsenal too and we'll laugh all the way to the bank. Either way I'd have preferred selling him to another league.

tomaldinho1

I guess he only just turned 24 but seems a high price for a player who seems to have struggled throughout his time in England to varying degrees? Under Tuchel I always thought Chelsea looked much better with him up top but then there was always an issue with scoring and killing games off, maybe with Arsenal and the ability of Saka/Martinelli to share the goalscoring burden he'll do really well.

Wiltord02

Supports
Arsenal
No idea what we are doing. I've never been impressed with him at Chelsea at all.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah, lets just call this a remain to be convinced transfer.

Would be most intrigued to see him where the Leverkusen fans @ForEverEleven and @Zehner said he excelled for them. With Xhaka leaving that's a position opened up for him right there.

Not overly happy with him in the number 9 position at all.

Sylar

Havertz, Jesus, Nketiah, Saka, Martinelli, Trossard would be arsenals attack right, with trossard being the oldest?

Assuming its basically having a two choices for each position now or something similar that Arteta wants, with most of them young as it is.

kidbob

Mount is a far better player than Havertz and I assume Chelsea would rather keep him more.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Yeah, lets just call this a remain to be convinced transfer.

Would be most intrigued to see him where the Leverkusen fans @ForEverEleven and @Zehner said he excelled for them. With Xhaka leaving that's a position opened up for him right there.

Not overly happy with him in the number 9 position at all.
Not only the position but also the system. Bosz was also a possession oriented coach and he mainly build up in a 3-4-2-1 formation - very similar to what the guy in the video on how Arteta could use Havertz was describing. Chelsea may have played the same formation but with a different setup and other types of players surrounding Havertz. He was much better with a mobile striker like Werner in the team than with Lukaku. And in Leverkusen he had a very involved striker in Volland as well. Add to that that Ödegaard and Brandt are also quite similar and you've got a very interesting foundation. No guarantees obviously but I'd be generally optimistic as an Arsenal fan.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Big price, I'd say limit at 50m would be fair but I think he's quite a good player. Not elite of course, but he's young and has a lot of good qualities. Unfortunately also that's another big team that now has 2 CFs who would walk into our team, which isn't great.

I think there's a lot more to come from him especially if it clicks in the right team. Arsenal might be that, or worst case he just turns into rotation/competition with Jesus basically.

jakko

Supports
Chelsea
What a beautiful day, Never rated this donkey. One of the worst attackers i have ever seen at Chelsea.
He will flop at Arsenal too because he just isn't very good, plays the same for Germany.
As i always say, he plays the same way in every position he plays in.

The White Pele

I may well be proven wrong because Arsenal and Arteta have got a lot right in the last couple of seasons but I feel like this could be a significant misstep for them.

Most Arsenal observers seem to think their most pressing needs are a more reliable goal scorer, at least 1 maybe 2 central midfield players depending on Xhaka and Partey’s futures and better depth at centre-back and right-back.

I’m not clear on which of these needs Havertz fills. I’ve seen at least 3 differing opinions on where he’ll play which suggests it’s not that clear to others too.

I suppose he could lead the line but he has not proven that prolific in doing that in England so far. I can’t see him as an 8 without Arsenal’s midfield becoming less combative and lacking control. If they intend him to be an option in multiple attacking positions it seems an expensive choice given that they have Trossard who can do that already.

It feels a risky move when the quoted prices for the likes of Rice and Caicedo are sky-high and with competition from rivals for their signature. They may find themselves priced out having spent big on Havertz and therefore having to compromise on their midfield and defensive signings.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
How are Chelsea getting over 90% of their fee back for this absolute donkey

flappyjay

I really don't get how there is interest in this guy from top clubs. The guy is supposed to be an attacking player and he cannot score.

Also, if Havertz is going for £60m, I can see why they are asking for the same for Mount.
Mount has 1 year left

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He isn't a striker or a winger. Arsenal doesn't play with a support striker or false 9.
Won't he take up the space of Odegaard if both are playing? Has he ever played deeper in midfield ? Too many questions.

I'm genuinely interested to see how this is going to play out

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Martinelli, Havertz, Odegaard and Saka behind Jesus is pretty good.
Rice with Zinchenko and Timber pushing up into midfield to help him and Saliba and Gabriel mopping up behind. It's a good team.

Arsenal have a good season and rebuild their midfield, replacing the man they've been raving about all season.