Donkai Havertz | Arsenal Watch

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
He does struggle in our system, but he offers something different. I think actually a CB in a back 3 is one of his better options at the moment. But ye today he wasnt great.
Yeah I agree - maybe if it's something where he can stay as a wide CB when the team is in possession that'd be ideal. Timber on the right side could offer some balance given his ability to step into midfield - think as well it was telling he got the nod ahead of Tierney at LB despite it not being his normal position.

But that said, how many of Arsenal's current options for that sort of hybrid CB/FB role are you choosing him over? I think pretty unequivocally you'd take Saliba or White ahead of him, and honestly I'd have Timber there as well (though obviously have to see how he settles before this is definitive). Is Tierney going to be happy being 4th choice for his ideal role and 3rd choice at LB?

Also random thing that just occurred to me, where is Nuno Tavares currently? Is he going back to France? Feels like he should be getting a look (and again apologies but I haven't tracked Arsenal at all during pre-season).

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah I agree - maybe if it's something where he can stay as a wide CB when the team is in possession that'd be ideal. Timber on the right side could offer some balance given his ability to step into midfield - think as well it was telling he got the nod ahead of Tierney at LB despite it not being his normal position.

But that said, how many of Arsenal's current options for that sort of hybrid CB/FB role are you choosing him over? I think pretty unequivocally you'd take Saliba or White ahead of him, and honestly I'd have Timber there as well (though obviously have to see how he settles before this is definitive). Is Tierney going to be happy being 4th choice for his ideal role and 3rd choice at LB?

Also random thing that just occurred to me, where is Nuno Tavares currently? Is he going back to France? Feels like he should be getting a look (and again apologies but I haven't tracked Arsenal at all during pre-season).
Tavares will get sold or loaned, he hasn't played any part and isn't in the plans. He just hasn't got the mentality or consistent technique for the team, but he does have some obvious talent.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Kai started as striker. So arteta understood he was useless in midfield. Thats what i said the moment they signed him.

Arsenal fans argued otherwise like their play will suit him but reality is their intrinsic short pass and move game style will never suit him if he plays in midfield.

If he plays in midfield surely problematic to their structure as well. He will give quick turn over opportunity to opponents because if you press him he will either lose the possession or fouling opponents.
Yeah, he only played in midfield his whole life except for his time in London so far.

Robbie Boy

I'm currently staying in my dad's for the Bank Holiday weekend and my brother is staying here too. He's an Arsenal fan and he's actually bewildered by this signing. He had been slating Havertz for years tbh, so would have been hard for him to now pretend he thinks he's good tbf.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Didn't he play in the hole behind Volland, in a free role
Nah, he played an 8 in a 4-3-3 or a 8/10 in a box midfield in a 3-4-3 for us. Arteta isn't really inventing anything new, he's sort of "going back to the roots" with how he uses Havertz.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Raised it after not excatly setting the league on fire, no wonder Mount was pissed :lol:
We won the cl and that wage clause activated. Actually boehly wanted to renew the deal with performance based wage with him. But kai jumped the ship when arsenal come calling.:lol:

Ronaldinho's snakebite

Chelsea couldn't believe thier luck when arsenal coughed up 65million quid on this donkey. They literally bite arsenal hands off :lol: :lol: :lol:

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
So...what is it with him? I can't remember the last time I saw him play well.

PoTMS

How Chelsea got £130m combined for Havertz and Mount is beyond me.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
So...what is it with him? I can't remember the last time I saw him play well.
Dortmund at home back in March. That was legit the last time he had a good game. He was like Bergkamp and Zola rolled into one that night though.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Much like Mason Mount, I think Arteta and ten Hag have tried to be too cute and clever and see something that the rest of us armchair managers aren’t seeing — I have no idea what compelled either of these managers to think either of these players can play in a central midfield position in the PL!

Chief123

Some Arsenal fans are slowly beginning to realise he is a money laundering exercise. Will end up as the worst transfer of the summer.

Chief123

Much like Mason Mount, I think Arteta and ten Hag have tried to be too cute and clever and see something that the rest of us armchair managers aren’t seeing — I have no idea what compelled either of these managers to think either of these players can play in a central midfield position in the PL!
There are enough productivity, goals/assists and performances to justify Mount’s signing. Havertz has been stealing a living since leaving Germany.

Eddy_JukeZ

Mount is much better than Havertz.

And I think people will change their minds on him 2-3 months down the line.

Yagami

Good post resistant
With everyone fit, I can't see him starting. Maybe something like:

Ramsdale
Timber Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
Rice Partey
Saka Odegaard Martinelli
Jesus​

Nish115

Supports
Arsenal
With everyone fit, I can't see him starting. Maybe something like:

Ramsdale
Timber Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
Rice Partey
Saka Odegaard Martinelli
Jesus​
White shouldn't be dropped, he is class every game.

Bogga

I'm not nearly as negative as him, but I'm kinda in the same mindset regarding Mount...

How Chelsea got so much money out of those two players are mindboggling :houllier: I truly hope Mount comes good though, he's putting on the red shirt and I wish he excels and becomes an awesome player for us, but I have my doubts

Captmfla

Havertz was the wrong purchase. Pretty obvious from the start. A striker with a goal in 4 games. Hardly helped the team last season and doesn't even know where he plays now. He's also not aggressive enough to be playing in midfield.

Arsenal has so many good striking prospects waiting to shine, why they even buy him? Should just save the money and buy David Raya outright instead of a loanee who will just play 50% of match most probably and disrupt team chemistry.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Havertz was the wrong purchase. Pretty obvious from the start. A striker with a goal in 4 games. Hardly helped the team last season and doesn't even know where he plays now. He's also not aggressive enough to be playing in midfield.

Arsenal has so many good striking prospects waiting to shine, why they even buy him? Should just save the money and buy David Raya outright instead of a loanee who will just play 50% of match most probably and disrupt team chemistry.
He's not a striker.

cyberman

Our fanbase loves shitting on our players in threads that have feck all to do with them

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I'm not nearly as negative as him, but I'm kinda in the same mindset regarding Mount...

How Chelsea got so much money out of those two players are mindboggling :houllier: I truly hope Mount comes good though, he's putting on the red shirt and I wish he excels and becomes an awesome player for us, but I have my doubts
Ironically I think the media narrative of every time we have a shit period it's the club's faults and players/managers are innocent bystanders is helping.

It's been going on ever since Spurs fell for it with AVB.

SATA

I was told by the Caf that he was a generation talent from Leverkusen when Chelsea were buying him and that we would absolutely regret not doing so as well?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I was told by the Caf that he was a generation talent from Leverkusen when Chelsea were buying him and that we would absolutely regret not doing so as well?
If "the Caf tells you something" it usually is bollocks.

Supports
Chelsea
Any evidence so far of this fantastic technical player I've been hearing about? Got slated in here for calling him an average footballer but am still waiting for anything to prove otherwise.

Chief123

To be fair it was mainly the German Defence League who were hyping him.