5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

croadyman

He is pointless in a midfield two, that is why he doesn't come on. He cant defend, cant attack, cant dribble and cant create. He is a more expensive Cleverley there.

He is a 10, and Bruno always plays, even 70 games in a season. Ole is a hoarder and likes to have the option on the bench, but realistically, he wont play much. He is also not a 10 we need, as he doesnt provide individual brilliance and relies on passing and fluidity. That is why Lingard is there and ahead of him.

We should sell him as long as he has some value, because he is next to useless for Ole.
Clear as day now Ole never wanted him in the first place and threw his toys out of the pram because didn't get Grealish, initially I did think it might be him not performing in training but nah there is more to it than that I am convinced

Yagami

Good post resistant
Especially in his last season at Ajax when he was brilliant.
People always point to some assist or goal he got in Ajax's impressive CL run, but they never look at his performance in general which is KEY for a midfielder.

I mean, this was Donny's performance against Madrid that people praise because he got an assist, but he was as rubbish as he is here:

The only reason they could get away with a clogger like him in midfield is because you had De Jong putting in this performance:
he looked good against everton, now he’s not had a minute. what else can he do? no wonder he can’t build any momentum or confidence
Not to sound rude but it was preseason, mate. I remember back in van Gaal's 1st season, Fletcher destroying Madrid. Heck, Lingard turns into George Best in preseason!

Ixion

Pisses me off to see players having their careers wasted through no fault of their own. Just sell him.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
People always point to some assist or goal he got in Ajax's impressive CL run, but they never look at his performance in general which is KEY for a midfielder.
Just to reiterate since my point missed you completely — Donny had yet another great season at Ajax after Frenkie left. Is Frenkie a (much) better player than him? Yes, without a doubt. Was he more important than van de Beek in their CL run? Yes. That doesn't mean that he can't play and perform without De Jong though, which he had shown enough times.

And I'm not even saying that he's good enough for United — there's clearly some issues there and maybe he simply isn't. What I'm doing is catching you on a whimsical argument.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Just to reiterate since my point missed you completely — Donny had yet another great season at Ajax after Frenkie left. Is Frenkie a (much) better player than him? Yes, without a doubt. Was he more important than van de Beek in their CL run? Yes. That doesn't mean that he can't play and perform without De Jong though, which he had shown enough times.

And I'm not even saying that he's good enough for United — there's clearly some issues there and maybe he simply isn't. What I'm doing is catching you on a whimsical argument.
He can perform without a midfielder who can boss games alone in the Dutch league, sure. It was no coincidence that as soon as De Jong left they were completely outdone in Europe, though. Even in the Europa.

He's not good. People laughed when I said he wouldn't even be better than McTominay in midfield or Lingard as an attacking midfielder when we were linked and guess what? He's behind both in the pecking order. Not because they're good (though McTominay has come on leaps and bounds) but he's that bad. They'd tear up the Dutch league, too.

reddevil702

if he can’t get game time over a finished Matic or Fred then he might as well leave. He’s wasting his talent away and it’s obvious Ole doesn’t seem to rate him. Days like today, it’s hard to believe he can be any worse than Fred or Matic.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
He can perform without a midfielder who can boss games alone in the Dutch league, sure. It was no coincidence that as soon as De Jong left they were completely outdone in Europe, though. Even in the Europa.

He's not good. People laughed when I said he wouldn't even be better than McTominay in midfield or Lingard as an attacking midfielder when we were linked and guess what? He's behind both in the pecking order. Not because they're good (though McTominay has come on leaps and bounds) but he's that bad. They'd tear up the Dutch league, too.
You know players usually don't play alone right? Sure he might not dominate on his one and is a bit dependant on his teammates. But when his teammates let him play to his full potential, he's very good. But that's also why it isn't working now.

But people like you seem to think that players are more important than the team. So whenever a player can't perform on his own, it's a bad player.

lex talionis

Whatever one thinks of Donny, it’s clear as can be Ole has no use for him. There is no point in letting Donny rot for a second season at OT.

Sell Donny and Jesse for 40-50m together and bring in Neves or another CDM for about the same.

Ralph1386

Clear as day now Ole never wanted him in the first place and threw his toys out of the pram because didn't get Grealish, initially I did think it might be him not performing in training but nah there is more to it than that I am convinced
I hope it’s not true because it doesn’t look good on Ole if it is. Villa were asking for a ridiculous fee for Grealish that the club couldn’t afford. You can’t just throw your toys out of the pram because the club can’t pay 100M£ for a player. What next? Are managers going to throw their toys out if the pram because their clubs can’t pay 200M£ for Messi?

And what’s VDB’s fault in all of this? The honest thing to do, would have been not to buy him and wait for the right midfielder to become available. Or at least sell him instead of wasting his career.

ShinjiNinja26

Surely he can’t just sit on the bench as a spectator this season as well? If he doesn’t fit then fair enough but at least give the guy a sustained run in the team to find out what he’s really about, it’s only fair. We’ve seen enough of him in the CL for Ajax to know that’s there’s a lot more to him than he’s currently shown in the few occasions he’s played for us.

croadyman

I hope it’s not true because it doesn’t look good on Ole if it is. Villa were asking for a ridiculous fee for Grealish that the club couldn’t afford. You can’t just throw your toys out of the pram because the club can’t pay 100M£ for a player. What next? Are managers going to throw their toys out if the pram because their clubs can’t pay 200M£ for Messi?

And what’s VDB’s fault in all of this? The honest thing to do, would have been not to buy him and wait for the right midfielder to become available. Or at least sell him instead of wasting his career.
Yeah I don't want it to be true either but there just looks too much smoke and like you say he should never have been bought if ole had no intention of using him in the team, we could have used that money to buy Bissouma/Camavinga/Neves/Saul/ any of them and would have looked a better side for it

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
You know what’s crazy is that we were completely off the feet at the end and this guy who has done well in preseason and didn’t play in the Euros still couldn’t get on the pitch . It’s just pathetic treatment for him and begs the question why are we not selling him if he is so far out of the reckoning

Yagami

Good post resistant
You know players usually don't play alone right? Sure he might not dominate on his one and is a bit dependant on his teammates. But when his teammates let him play to his full potential, he's very good. But that's also why it isn't working now.

But people like you seem to think that players are more important than the team. So whenever a player can't perform on his own, it's a bad player.
The system is more important than individuals, yes. However, you still need your players to be at a certain level and not need to rely on said system working to be of any use. If you want to win things at the highest level, that is.

We've had "system players" like Mata, Kagawa and Mkhitaryan who I wouldn't class as bad players. Even though they struggled here because we prefer to rely on individual brilliance instead of implementing cohesive systems that are designed to get the best out of the team as a whole, you could see they were good players who had potential of being good in the right set-up. I just don't see that with Donny and never have.

MadMike

If he's not gonna play at all and be behind Matic for CM and Lingard for AM, then what's the point in keeping him this season? Just sell him or he will lose further value.

I just can't understand what's going on here

croadyman

Should have just waited and bought a DM last summer and backup CM this

RUCK4444

If he's not gonna play at all and be behind Matic for CM and Lingard for AM, then what's the point in keeping him this season? Just sell him or he will lose further value.

I just can't understand what's going on here
If we’re honest he’s just been a bit crap every time he’s been given a chance.

SAFMUTD

Really worrying that we spend 40M on a player that doesn't even have had chances to prove himself in over a year.

I mean did we even scout him well? One thing is to buy a player play him and realize he doesn't fit, but to sideline him like this is beyond that. It's clear Ole doesn't rate him, I mean he played a dead man Matic before him.

MadMike

If we’re honest he’s just been a bit crap every time he’s been given a chance.
I'm not sure how that explains my confusion about the situation. I take what you say already as a given

But if he's not good enough to play, then sell. What's the point in keeping him? Wasting his time and the club's money (salary and devaluation) even further is pointless.

What are we doing with him? Can you answer that?

MadMike

Really worrying that we spend 40M on a player that doesn't even have had chances to prove himself in over a year.

I mean did we even scout him well? One thing is to buy a player play him and realize he doesn't fit, but to sideline him like this is beyond that. It's clear Ole doesn't rate him, I mean he played a dead man Matic before him.
To be honest though, this is also on Ole. VDB hasn't been good for us in his appearances. He's been very lacklustre and mediocre.

However Matic has been a problem in almost every time he has played in the last season, in ways that VDB hasn't. He's too slow, too careless in possession and drops too deep into defence. He makes the midfield shaped like a vertical line between him, Fred and Bruno where no one can find anyone. VDB doesn't cause these problems. He just doesn't affect the game in anyway but doesn't cause much trouble otherwise.

So if Ole is rating him lower than Matic, something is off here. Either Ole is not fully comprehending how counterproductive playing Matic has become, or the reason one plays when the other doesn't aren't entirely performance related. I can't think of a 3rd explanation

Sparky Rhiwabon

I think Woody just signed him because he was available and a relatively well known name

SAFMUTD

To be honest though, this is also on Ole. VDB hasn't been good for us in his appearances. He's been very lacklustre and mediocre.

However Matic has been a problem in almost every time he has played in the last season, in ways that VDB hasn't. He's too slow, too careless in possession and drops too deep into defence. He makes the midfield shaped like a vertical line between him, Fred and Bruno where no one can find anyone. VDB doesn't cause these problems. He just doesn't affect the game in anyway but doesn't cause much trouble otherwise.

So if Ole is rating lower than Matic, something is off here. Either Ole is not fully comprehending how damaging playing Matic has become, or the reasons one plays when the other doesn't aren't entirely performance related.
I agree, I mean surely VdB should get a chance before getting Matic who's haven't had a good game in god knows how long.

VdB can't even get minutes as a sub. I understand Ole gambling on Matic as a starter thinking hey new season fresh legs maybe he won't be as static as he's been in the last year let's give it a try. But to keep him for 80+ minutes after that shit show. What the actual feck?

MadMike

The love for this player on this forum is strange. Never did a fringe player had a cult
so strong
Love? An entire page saying we should sell him (or he should ask to leave) and you think there's a cult of fans of his?

Lay off the hallucinogenics.

TheGame

A great pre-season? When has he ever been great for us? He's not a DM like Matic plays either.
Played well against Wolves and Everton, making an effort to get ready for the new season. How can you make a judgement on a player based on a handful of part appearances? Why did we need 2 defensive players against Southampton. DVB would have helped in the transition to attack.

MadMike

His treatment is one of oles failings. He can't possibly be providing less than Mata and matic.
Mata isn't really playing any more. I don't know about VDB's treatment but Matic still starting games is one of the great mysteries of this universe like dark matter or what happens inside a black hole etc.

CM

People always complain about the lack of opportunities for van de Beek but there's no place for him in the team. You have to earn the right to play, and more often than not when van de Beek's had his chance, he's been poor.

He's also a number 10. Not a shadow of a doubt in my mind about that. He likes the little flicks around the corner and one-twos with the wingers, I don't think he has any of the qualities to play deeper. No invention, no courage on the ball and not much in the way of pressing or defensive discipline. Unless Fernandes gets injured or he dramatically changes his game, I can't see a route into the team for him.

MadMike

People always complain about the lack of opportunities for van de Beek but there's no place for him in the team. You have to earn the right to play, and more often than not when van de Beek's had his chance, he's been poor.

He's also a number 10. Not a shadow of a doubt in my mind about that. He likes the little flicks around the corner and one-twos with the wingers, I don't think he has any of the qualities to play deeper. No invention, no courage on the ball and not much in the way of pressing or defensive discipline. Unless Fernandes gets injured or he dramatically changes his game, I can't see a route into the team for him.
We're not complaining that he isn't starting. We just don't understand the signing and the fact despite there not being a route in the team for him, he's still kept on instead of being sold.

If he's a 10 who's behind Fernandes, Pogba and Lingard why did we sign him and why is he still in the team? He was a 40m player. After two seasons on the bench we won't even get half that. Why not sell him this summer then? It's just a a nonsensical waste of his time and the club's money.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I'm not above admitting I'm quite biased in favor of Dutch players.

Donny van de Beek is bang average and has no business being anywhere near the starting line up of United. Might as well sign Davy Klaassen or Guus Til.

CM

We're not complaining that he isn't starting. We just don't understand the signing and the fact despite there not being a route in the team for him, he's still kept on instead of being sold.

If he's a 10 who's behind Fernandes, Pogba and Lingard why did we sign him and why is he still in the team? He was a 40m player. After two seasons on the bench we won't even get half that. Why not sell him this summer then? It's just a a nonsensical waste of his time and the club's money.
I don't really understand the signing either. It was probably a signing of convenience more than anything else. We didn't look like getting anyone in last summer for a good while and this one was done in a matter of days.

If we're able to recoup something and facilitate the signing of a proper midfielder I'd be for it, but we're finding it hard to sell anyone in this window. All outgoings have been loans. I would've expected bids for fringe players like Lingard and James who could be useful for teams lower down the league but there's been nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.