5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grande

Too many backwards and sideways passing for me. Needs to receive the ball, turn and see better forward options. I don't know what his role is.
His role in possesion was clearly to keep the ball ticking at speed through midfield. Distribution into attack was more to Matic (from the back), Shaw and Wan Bissaka (along the sides and Bruno. It’s an important role, as if you have too many Pogba’s or Bruno’s it will slow or interrupt passing play and make us impotent in possesion. Carrick and Scholes were both masters at this. It’s a good highlight reel as you see the most important features of such a role: Quick low-risk passes, precise passes - they are easy to control and move on for the recipient - and with a thought for their further destination. Note several times where he points to player B as he passes to player A. This sounds easy for a professional footballer, but you only need to watch a game to see how top players like Matic plays several hospital passes per game, Maguire, Pogba and Bruno lets the opposition regroup while staying on the ball, Fred mishits, McToms passes are interuptrd or Pogba is dispossessed. These are accteptable risks in Bruno’s position, and to an extent in Maguire’s role, but they are no-no’s in a midfield two the way United play.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
That was a good performance, he did everything Ole asks from his midfield. People seem to be under the impression that he's going to be bursting into the box every attack but that's just not how we use our midfield.
He did a nice switch of play that I didn’t see in this video (or maybe I looked away).
It's in the video (1.46) and it just proves that he does "have the passing range" like people kept saying he doesn't.

He just needs to adapt his game to using more long passes, he's been taught at a young age by Ajax to keep it short, but that's a good sign he's feeling more confident to switch play.

Last edited:

laughtersassassin

Basically, all our midfielders would be better with a DM.

They would arguably be even better in a midfield 3.
Exactly. We built a team of Midfielders that don't suit eachother.

If we end up reverting back to McFred I'll claw my eyes out.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Sometimes in that area when you have Bruno, Martial, Greenwood and the like upfront, we don't need the CM to try too much. What Donny does very well is keep the ball moving even if its a 5 yard pass, he passes and moves himself.

Defending against a team that constantly moves the ball is hard, it means you cannot have a full press and players like Donny who are press resistent, it helps us as team moving up and creating overloads.
This is why we are so effective with McTominay and Fred, they do the simple things, but they keep the ball moving, and make it hard for the opposition to play through midfield. It's completely the opposite to what Pogba does, and sometimes Matic (he was good vs Everton, but sometimes he tries to hold to the ball too long).

His role in possesion was clearly to keep the ball ticking at speed through midfield. Distribution into attack was more to Matic (from the back), Shaw and Wan Bissaka (along the sides and Bruno. It’s an important role, as if you have too many Pogba’s or Bruno’s it will slow or interrupt passing play and make us impotent in possesion. Carrick and Scholes were both masters at this. It’s a good highlight reel as you see the most important features of such a role: Quick low-risk passes, precise passes - they are easy to control and move on for the recipient - and with a thought for their further destination. Note several times where he points to player B as he passes to player A. This sounds easy for a professional footballer, but you only need to watch a game to see how top players like Matic plays several hospital passes per game, Maguire, Pogba and Bruno lets the opposition regroup while staying on the ball, Fred mishits, McToms passes are interuptrd or Pogba is dispossessed. These are accteptable risks in Bruno’s position, and to an extent in Maguire’s role, but they are no-no’s in a midfield two the way United play.
Such a great post, especially the bolded bits. I'm glad to see some people still see the value of a midfielder, and is not pushing on playing one DM + 5 attacking players. This makes such a huge difference when it clicks, it's just much easier for the entire team to create space and control the midfield.
Notice how City usually use simple, short, but quick passing to isolate defenders vs their wingers. This is the element we have to improve upon, and balancing the team is the way to go. Not to mention we already are super top-heavy with 3 forwards, Bruno, and fullbacks pushing high.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Notice how City usually use simple, short, but quick passing to isolate defenders vs their wingers. This is the element we have to improve upon, and balancing the team is the way to go. Not to mention we already are super top-heavy with 3 forwards, Bruno, and fullbacks pushing high.
Yep this is something that's always frustrated me.

So often we are too quick to try and force a forwards pass, the team isn't in a good shape and we end up losing the ball and getting countered ourselves.

It ends up turning it into a basketball match which is too much of a coin flip, especially in the home games. There's a clear difference when we play home and away - I think the expectation of being the home team makes us panic and overly rush.

I much prefer this style of working our way up the pitch, pinning a team back with quick short passes and then feeding it into your danger men who can work their magic. If the attack breaks down then we've got them pinned into their half, where Maguire and Varane can sweep it up and start another attack. Keep the pressure and momentum build and teams will crumble.

This was something Fergie's teams did better than anybody, and why his home record was always so good.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Yep this is something that's always frustrated me.

So often we are too quick to try and force a forwards pass, the team isn't in a good shape and we end up losing the ball and getting countered ourselves.

It ends up turning it into a basketball match which is too much of a coin flip, especially in the home games. There's a clear difference when we play home and away - I think the expectation of being the home team makes us panic and overly rush.

I much prefer this style of working our way up the pitch, pinning a team back with quick short passes and then feeding it into your danger men who can work their magic. If the attack breaks down then we've got them pinned into their half, where Maguire and Varane can sweep it up and start another attack. Keep the pressure and momentum build and teams will crumble.

This was something Fergie's teams did better than anybody, and why his home record was always so good.
Exactly this. I like the basketball game comparison, I never thought about it this way but it certainly seems like we're trying to be too offensive and lose control of the game, becoming more and more nervous.
Back in the days when I was playing with stats, there was a game I think against Leicester where we were terrible until the goal around 25', then we suddenly changed into a team moving the ball swiftly and creating chances. We just need to relax a bit and work the ball around the opposition. By the way I always liked more Bruno involved in small play rather than going long every time he gets the ball.

romufc

This is why we are so effective with McTominay and Fred, they do the simple things, but they keep the ball moving, and make it hard for the opposition to play through midfield. It's completely the opposite to what Pogba does, and sometimes Matic (he was good vs Everton, but sometimes he tries to hold to the ball too long).
Yeah, I do get that. Its just because most fans don't like McFred so they have to have this agenda against them.

Yes, I do get sometimes you may need to play expansive players but we have to agree that Donny is alot more intelligent than McFred in there.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
When I watch VDB it seems like he passes the ball to almost make it hard for the opposition to take it off him, to keep it ticking through the midfield area.

I wonder how he would be like with someone like Ruben Neves - Ruben can make a pass to VDB, VDB can pass it back to Neves to fool some opposition and open spaces before Neves then makes some defence splitting passes as a DLP.

Kind of like playing a DLP with a one two machine.

The Cluck

I don't know if that video has been edited to not include any moments where he gave the ball away etc., but he looked very assured in it. Kept it nice and simple. Yes, there were maybe a few too many backwards passes, but it was a performance to perhaps build up some confidence so that in future he might try to be a bit more positive in his passing. I know it was a preseason friendly and Everton probably weren't breaking their necks to close men down, but he seemed very calm and controlled. Dare I say, a little bit Scholes-esque. Let's see how he grows into the season.

Ekeke

Not sure why theres any confusion. He's playing the same role and doing the same things as Fred and McTominay

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
His time at the club is over i guess, if the manager brings on a aging defensive midfielder at a 5-1 score instead of you, your time must be up.

I mean, no sane manager would pick Matic over VDB when it's 5-1 unless he didn't have any faith in VDB's ability

Last edited:

Ralph1386

His time at the club is over i guess, if the manager brings on a aging defensive midfielder at a 5-1 score instead of you, your time must be up.

I mean, no sane manager would pick Matic over VDB when it's 5-1 unless he didn't have any faith in VDB's ability
His performances, especially the recent ones, don’t justify this mistrust though.

It's one game, don't get carried away yet. United could player 60+ games this season.

Only a few days ago Ole was singing Donny's praises.

I love Ajax, but United is different - the squad we have means Donny is facing an uphill battle to cement a first team place and there is no room for sentimentality as we try to overtake City.

MattofManchester

It's been one fecking game ffs..

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
It's been one fecking game ffs..
It's one game, don't get carried away yet. United could player 60+ games this season.

Only a few days ago Ole was singing Donny's praises.

I love Ajax, but United is different - the squad we have means Donny is facing an uphill battle to cement a first team place and there is no room for sentimentality as we try to overtake City.

1 game + 1 season yes, it's the same as last season. So nothing much seemed to have changed. He's still not gonna get any good chances this season, so he should leave.

marktan

Do you think Ajax would take him back for £20m?

I don't see him playing many games for us of Pogba stays. He'll be backup to Bruno at AM.

MattofManchester

1 game + 1 season yes, it's the same as last season. So nothing much seemed to have changed. He's still not gonna get any good chances this season, so he should leave.
Did your crystal ball tell you that? Or was it the dancing purple dog?

None of us know how many games he will play.

Ultimately Donny has to prove in training and in games that he is better than the players starting ahead of him.

Donny has worked hard over the summer so clearly wants to fight for a place and not leave

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Sure we won but the fact Beek didn't play says it all. Going nowhere under Ole. Beek is one of our best players and has proven himself already ffs.

Hook

crossy1686

career ending
Do you think Ajax would take him back for £20m?

I don't see him playing many games for us of Pogba stays. He'll be backup to Bruno at AM.
It's hard to see where him and Lingard are going to fit in. I remember Fergie used to use the first few games to set his first 11 and let the others know they were back up so like it or lump it.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I want to see him play that Shadow striker ajax role for us in the carabao Cup atleast.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I have said it last week. He should consider to leave if Pogba stays. His chance to play is almost like last season again now that Pogba stays.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Not sure why theres any confusion. He's playing the same role and doing the same things as Fred and McTominay
What do you mean by that? he's not even half player as Fred and can't imagine him being as dominant as Scott today either. If he can transform himself similarly to Herrera before into a more deeper role for us all of us will be happy. Having to work on his muscles in preseason won't guarantee him much if he's not good enough technically and mentally for that role. He really needs to become much tougher and show some presence to start with along with some confidence on the ball. Untill now he showed very little outside putting his teammates under pressure by one touch backward pass instead of spending a couple more seconds on the ball and dribble out of pressure. So far deeper he looks worse version of Tom Cleverley and I'm not even kidding.

Terranova

Supports
United/Ajax
Did your crystal ball tell you that? Or was it the dancing purple dog?
No common sense, funny thing is, last season people said the exact same thing. Only first match, it's just early season, he'll get enough minutes during the season. Those people were wrong or just naive.

tjb

What's the obsession with people wanting him to leave for his own good. He's a player just like Butt, Brown, Silvestre etc were. He's not better than them and has not shown himself to be

Ekeke

What do you mean by that? he's not even half player as Fred and can't imagine him being as dominant as Scott today either. If he can transform himself similarly to Herrera before into a more deeper role for us all of us will be happy. Having to work on his muscles in preseason won't guarantee him much if he's not good enough technically and mentally for that role. He really needs to become much tougher and show some presence to start with along with some confidence on the ball. Untill now he showed very little outside putting his teammates under pressure by one touch backward pass instead of spending a couple more seconds on the ball and dribble out of pressure. So far deeper he looks worse version of Tom Cleverley and I'm not even kidding.
He played in the 2 of the 4-2-3-1. Its very simple.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
He played in the 2 of the 4-2-3-1. Its very simple.
you said he plays/played like them and that is not true, also it's obviously not too wise to compare a preseason game to league football. Pereira looked like Scholes in one of the preseason tours..

Ekeke

you said he plays/played like them and that is not true, also it's obviously not too wise to compare a preseason game to league football. Pereira looked like Scholes in one of the preseason tours..
People were talking about being confused where he played in a friendly. It was simple, he played in the 2 of a 4-2-3-1.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

And what a colossal loss he will be to this club.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
People were talking about being confused where he played in a friendly. It was simple, he played in the 2 of a 4-2-3-1.
Sorry if it was out of context. Just thought you compared him to one of McFred, he's not on that level and question marks if heĺl ever be. BU he could save us ton of money (at least that 35mil we paid for him) to get a decent CM, I personally quite doubt it though. but if he could accept to be more of a ball winner and learnt that trade along with being more confident to take the ball forward... This season will be crucial for him

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I wouldn't be surprised if Ole is testing him. See if he hands in a transfer request.

His last 2 performances (Everton, Wolves) were alright, I can definitely see him becoming a competent backup in the pivot and I wouldn't write him off as Bruno's backup just yet. I think if he has some more creativity around him (Pogba, Sancho) he can be lethal in the box.

Dutch Ajax fans seem to be really salty to see one of their own on the bench. I could care less. I want United to have a strong bench and if we bought VDB because Ole thinks he's better then Pereira than I'm fine with it. Last year we were lucky with injuries and VDB got injured himself.

Last edited:

Mickson

Since day one I've wondered what Ole was thinking with this signing. Still can't figure it out. He doesn't fit the way he wants to play, such a peculiar thing to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.