Donyell Malen

sixdwarf

According to Football Transfers, United are 'eyeing' a potential loan deal for Dutch international forward Donyell Malen from Dortmund, as Jadon Sancho goes the other way. It features an option to buy. The report stated that "discussions have been intense" at Old Trafford about the possibility of signing the former PSV Eindhoven man.

The Dutchman is capable of operating on either wing and but his only experience of English football was a member of Arsenal's Hale End academy, signing from (guess where) Ajax as a youngster, before departing for PSV Eindhoven in search of game time. He left the Gunners in 2017 without having represented the first team.
In the Dutch league, he scored 11 goals and two assists in 14 games in 2019/20 for PSV then followed that up with 19 goals and eight assists in 26 games in 2020/21.

But his return dipped when he signed for Dortmund. In 2021/22 he had five goals and three assists in 20 appearances in the Bundesliga. In 22/23 it was nine goals and five assists in 22 appearances. He has five goals and no assists to his name in 11 appearances this season.

Now is this a case of another Dutchman that Eric Ten Hag knows through his time at the Eredivisie? Are we not able to source players who are not connected in some way to Ajax?

Is he another bum on seat signing, or the quality we are after?

Nick7

we haven't had good luck singing Dortmund's good players, maybe we'll have better luck signing one of their shitty players

seriously, god I hope we steer clear

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
If its a loan I am fine with it. He has his moments but is just very injury prone. Unlike Jadon though I never heard that his lack of effort is ever in question. Could be a decent option off the bench. I just hope it won't prevent us from looking at more longer term solutions. We've tried way too many bandaids over the years.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Loaning a Dutch player in January, where have I seen that.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
What about managers?
De Boer in! :drool:

In all seriousness, I'd steer clear there too. Was a huge fan of Hiddink in his prime, but the Dutch game has been in decline for a while now.

Brophs

The One and Only
If he agent can get him a move to United he’ll have Donwell

sixdwarf

Who is the source... Football Transfers? Never heard of them, are they reliable?
It isn't just them. Fabrizio Romano had stated a week ago that Malen the departure of Borussia Dortmund in the January window was a "concrete possibility". And at the start of December he said that Malen "has been discussed internally at MUFC".

Romano followed that up a few days ago by suggesting that United have held talks with the agents of Jean-Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting, Timo Werner, Serhou Guirassy. AND Malen regarding a potential move in the winter window.

The Italian journalist said: "To be honest, Manchester United never had the concrete negotiation with RB Leipzig. United had a discussion with Timo Werner's agent just to understand the conditions of the deal. How was the situation around Timo Werner for the January window, but Manchester United United never decided to proceed for the proper negotiation for the transfer of Timo Werner. So they had the same kind of discussion for example with the agents of Choupo-Moting, with the agents of Donyell Malen, with the agents of Serhou Guirassy. All players that could be available on the January transfer market with different conditions."

Conor

This is the worst transfer thread I've ever seen, and that's saying something.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
In fairness, this has been rumbling around in the background since the Sancho deal was being discussed.
I haven’t been paying close attention but I believe so, yeah, hence I’m hoping it’s nonsense :nervous:

EtH has a big enough target on his back versus signing even more players he is/or might be familiar with. And if the club still allows deals like this to happen, you really need to start asking what Arnold/Murtough and the scouts have been doing this last year.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I haven’t been paying close attention but I believe so, yeah, hence I’m hoping it’s nonsense :nervous:

EtH has a big enough target on his back versus signing even more players he is/or might be familiar with. And if the club still allows deals like this to happen, you really need to start asking what Arnold/Murtough and the scouts have been doing this last year.
Recruitment staff knows they're on their way out soon so they're just malen it in now.

ShinjiNinja26

And yet with a better scoring record than our top scorer - World beater Scottie. Sure sure it's the Bundesliga and all but to say we ve got a WC attacking line awaiting him isn't exactly the issue.
That’s the point though, our current attack is hardly pulling up any trees so I’d rather not bring this guy in to stink the place out as well. Seems like bringing in a body just for the sake of it. Unless we can bring someone in that’s going to make an impact I’d rather we just hold off until the summer.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Dortmund stars have flopped here, only makes sense for their flops to star here right?

RVN1991

If Ten Hag stays beyond this season we better hope he has zero input on transfers, the guy is absolutely fecking clueless when it comes to bringing in the right type of players.

MarcianoVink

Supports
PSV, the Netherlands
Before going to Dortmund, Malen was a PSV player. I’ve seen him play on a weekly basis. He’s fast, but to be honest; by far not good enough. a one trick pony.

The only Dutch player that might have been good enough for United in recent years was Gakpo, but dispite my advise :angel: , united chose Antony…..

in Dutch media United has been linked to Ajax player Brian Brobby. Ffs: who’s the blind scout watching the Dutch competition?

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Before going to Dortmund, Malen was a PSV player. I’ve seen him play on a weekly basis. He’s fast, but to be honest; by far not good enough. a one trick pony.

The only Dutch player that might have been good enough for United in recent years was Gakpo, but dispite my advise :angel: , united chose Antony…..

in Dutch media United has been linked to Ajax player Brian Brobby. Ffs: who’s the blind scout watching the Dutch competition?
I’m not even sure Gakpo is good enough tbh. Why Ten Hag wanted Antony is anyone’s guess - there must be a thousand hard working wingers with zero end product out there, and they don’t all cost 85m

binary bot
People are too critical of loans. They’re a good tool for plugging holes in a squad on a short term basis rather than overpaying for shit.

They’ve done us no harm in recent years - it’s the dross we’ve signed on a permanent basis that is causing us problems. They’re basically a shot to nothing.

it’s fair to be critical of the overall ambition / transfer strategy. But in isolation I can’t bring myself to care who we’re signing on loan.

Thiagoal

Please take any transfer decisions away from ETH. I read a minute ago that we are closely monitoring bloody Brian Brobbey as well

crackers0seven

We don't need anymore average players. We've the league and a few fa cup games maybe. Be grand with a small squad. Why bother waste the money on non needed players