Gaming Dota ii

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I started watching that game but had to turn off at about 35 mins to go to sleep. Damn.

Skywarden

Regarding DK vs. Alliance:

Did DK throw their last game during the picks and bans? Granted S4 had a field day on Bat Rider, DK had nought to say about....anything really.

NoLogo

Welcome NoLogo. I'm actually intrigued as to how the experience is for you as a newb? If you want anything explaining ask away. :D

I think I got the basics by now but every time shit goes down I really have no clue what just happened but mainly because I don't know any of the heroes abilities or anything like that.

Like I said it's still fun to watch because you can actually tell when a team made a good move despite not really knowing any of the details what really went down because I don't know what the abilities of the heroes are and stuff like that.

Oh and I think the commentators do actually a fine job of pointing out some of the finer details, even though I have sometimes trouble with the DOTA II lingo.

If I get bored of Warframe anytime soon I think DOTA II will be the game I give a try.

Dion

That was mental, I said to my friend "They can't contest rosh, they'd need someone stupid like a fountain hook on the aegis carrier to have a hope here" about 2 minutes before it actually happened
absolutely insane. The xp switch ffs

AVARiCE

Regarding DK vs. Alliance:

Did DK throw their last game during the picks and bans? Granted S4 had a field day on Bat Rider, DK had nought to say about....anything really.
At this state of the tournament I think it's about teams trusting in their abilities more than anything else. Off the top of my (now very sleep-deprived) head, SD was picked by DK which is a decent Bat counter. Beyond that, DK don't worry too much about what Alliance are doing and instead try to get their 4p1 heroes. The second game was an example of why they do this.

I think I got the basics by now but every time shit goes down I really have no clue what just happened but mainly because I don't know any of the heroes abilities or anything like that.

Like I said it's still fun to watch because you can actually tell when a team made a good move despite not really knowing any of the details what really went down because I don't know what the abilities of the heroes are and stuff like that.

Oh and I think the commentators do actually a fine job of pointing out some of the finer details, even though I have sometimes trouble with the DOTA II lingo.

If I get bored of Warframe anytime soon I think DOTA II will be the game I give a try.
That's interesting. I mean, I play Dota but I can't even properly understand HoN or LoL highlight reels so fair play to you. If you have any questions I reckon you'd get a fairly quick answer if you posted them up in here. Sometimes we hang out in TeamSpeak during the games if you'd like to chill with us and ask questions as well. Of course, if you do choose to play you're welcome to play with us too.

What a game by Navi. So fun to watch :D
And I was totally behind the strat despite the vicious lies Art and Zarlak may spout.

Skywarden

feck Alliance man. Take that stupid ass hat off Loda, everyone knows your going bald. And EGM, take that winter tundra shit off. feck.
So much hate. :lol:

Dion

I was ok with Alliance winning until I found out Loda was a cnut.

AVARiCE

I was ok with Alliance winning until I found out Loda was a cnut.
Zarlak and I have a hate club if you wanna join?

Skywarden -- where'd you get that quote from?

Also, I've heard a newbie declined a 1vs1 with Melquu? Come on Newbie, do it, destroy him!

Skywarden

Some lad on neoGAF.

What's up with the Alliance hate? I've seen the Arteezy trash talk on twitter but really, is that it?

Dion

What's up with the Alliance hate? I've seen the Arteezy trash talk on twitter but really, is that it?

No. I thought saying "stuff like" would indicate that the Arteezy nonsense was an example of what I was talking about rather than the entirety of the anthology of everything Loda has done that annoys me. I neither own such an anthology nor do I wish to compile one now to satisfy your curiosity I'm afraid.

I don't hate Alliance (well, after the KotL/PL/Furion combo maybe thats not true), I just dislike Loda.

Skywarden

Fair enough. I have only followed the pro DOTA scene since January so I do apologise for these petty questions.

Dion

That does sound harsher than I meant it to :D sorry! Theres a good chance objectively I have no reasonable ground to dislike Loda, I may just be being judgemental. Alliance are getting a lot of hate in general because for once we have a European team that can compete with the Eastern scene who aren't Na'vi which has split the Dota 2 fanbase down the middle. You have to like one and hate the other, dems just the rules.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
Some lad on neoGAF.

They're boring to watch, they pick Kotl PL Furion like it's going out of fashion which is a really lame thing to do, AdmiralBulldog can only play 3 heroes, Loda is an arrogant feck. The only one I like is Akke.

AVARiCE

Some lad on neoGAF.

You've got a collection of five of the finest players Dota's ever seen -- and even then it should be noted that this came off the back of back-stabbing one of the meta-setters of early 2013 -- and what do they do? Pick at least two of KotL, PL, Furion, Naga. Every. Single. Game. It's a winning strategy and all that but if it were a Chinese team they'd get so much hate. I'm a huge NaVi fan and, as I was saying last night, NaVi are also pretty solid on a small sub-selection of heroes (as is every professional player and thus team) but at least theirs are interesting.

To me, NaVi and Alliance are akin to United and Chelsea in ~2008. Both quality teams, full of world-class players and whatnot. One team, however, has an attacking trio of Rooney, Ronaldo and Tevez constantly swapping position, stretching defences and exploiting gaps. The other team is based on percentage play, a rigid "next evolution" formation and the ability to win clinically. It bores me. I've been into this game for over a year now (you can actually see my complete newb posts earlier in this thread!) and it's always felt like NaVi do brilliant stuff and the win comes as a consequence of that brilliance. Alliance, in my eyes, pick and play just to win. Even when NaVi cheese a game (against TongFu) it's one of the most entertaining, skill-based "exploits" in eSports. No worse than, say, picking Naga Siren as a support in order to disengage with ease if you ever make a mistake. Boring Dota. Before Naga became popular again in the lead up to TI3 she was last properly seen as a carry in TI2 where she was booed because the Chinese kept picking her and using her ult to grind games. Alliance don't get the boos because they're Western but they're just as emotionless and clinical (although thankfully a lot more aggressive -- if only because they've realised that the game is balanced more towards aggression since the post-TI2 patch).

/rant

EDIT: Actually forgot to ask -- how many of you guys are watching TI3 but don't actually play?

Waldner

Balloon headed Pokemon innovator & kitten murderer
When there's that much money on the line I think it's acceptable to win your games in whatever way possible. If that means playing boring dota then so be it, a win is a win and ultimately the result is the only thing that counts in tournaments like this.

Waldner

Yes, it is. With that much money at stake I wouldn't risk my chances of winning by playing an entertaining style of DOTA. I'd do whatever it takes to win it, which is perfectly understandable.

Waldner

There is a newb arguing with me in the newbs about how good of a hero sniper is. Waldner, you know you're not allowed to make newb accounts.
He's my new official apprentice. Sniper and Bloodseeker make DOTA the amazing game that it is.

Dion

There is a newb arguing with me in the newbs about how good of a hero sniper is. Waldner, you know you're not allowed to make newb accounts.

Normal with the occasional foray into high after the matchmaking is in a generous mood, what I lack in skill I make up for in excuses and swearing.

Dion

Yes, it is. With that much money at stake I wouldn't risk my chances of winning by playing an entertaining style of DOTA. I'd do whatever it takes to win it, which is perfectly understandable.
It's not, you don't just switch to a safe style of Dota when they money is on the line. No team have come to TI3 and completely changed style, it's something you develop over the course of months of preparation and it's very hard to change. Anyone who practices and prepares to play safe, defensive dota deserves derision, that game between iG and DK for instance wasn't good for Dota or esports.

Waldner

It's not, you don't just switch to a safe style of Dota when they money is on the line. No team have come to TI3 and completely changed style, it's something you develop over the course of months of preparation and it's very hard to change. Anyone who practices and prepares to play safe, defensive dota deserves derision, that game between iG and DK for instance wasn't good for Dota or esports.
You said it isn't acceptable to win matches in a boring, but more successful way. That's bullshit, the only acceptable way is what gets the players the win and therefore the money. I know that I wouldn't sacrifice some of my chances of winning just so that I could put on a good show for the crowd. That maybe sounds like I'm an arsehole, but atleast I'd be a rich, successful arsehole.

Art

Art the artist
I like you. Which bracket do you play in?

In the second game between [A] and Na'Vi yest, if Na'Vi played the way [A] did and beat them ie if it was the other way around, you would be creaming your pants. The whole boring doto argument is only valid at times. They completely recked Na'Vi, not through split pushing, just fecking destroyed them.

AVARiCE

You said it isn't acceptable to win matches in a boring, but more successful way. That's bullshit, the only acceptable way is what gets the players the win and therefore the money. I know that I wouldn't sacrifice some of my chances of winning just so that I could put on a good show for the crowd. That maybe sounds like I'm an arsehole, but atleast I'd be a rich, successful arsehole.
How do you feel about Roger Federer?

In the second game between [A] and Na'Vi yest, if Na'Vi played the way [A] did and beat them ie if it was the other way around, you would be creaming your pants. The whole boring doto argument is only valid at times. They completely recked Na'Vi, not through split pushing, just fecking destroyed them.
THIS ONE TIME AT BANDCAMP...