Television Dragon Ball Z

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Was watching some clips today...man, the nostalgia was just too overwhelming. For kids this is one of the very best shows ever made, couldn't wait to get home from school and watch DBZ. Goku's Super Saiyan moment was adrenaline to the fullest.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
Must have been the only kid in my class who just thought Dragonball Z was plain daft. Loved Dragonball though.

3KDré

Never got round to watching DBZ or Naruto. I've gotta binge them in the summer.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Watching Dragon Ball Super at the moment, seems pretty good.
Ive watched like ten episodes of it so far. Can't get used to the Japanese voices though

Plus it seems a bit less serious than DBZ

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Ive watched like ten episodes of it so far. Can't get used to the Japanese voices though

Plus it seems a bit less serious than DBZ
Definitely less serious, however the original diagonal ball was far from serious, if anything Z is the one that deviates from the norm.

Hammerfell

Super's actually got some really interesting secondary characters. Beerus is great.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Been loving Super. Was a huge DB fan when I was younger and was gutted when I realised they wouldn't be making new episodes.

It's great they've started it up again, and it seems like with the Universes it's got big potential to introduce new characters.

Revan

Assumptionman
Did anyone know that Goku, Gohan and Goten are all played from the same actress? Yes, actress.

Nanook

I loved this show as a kid. I remember Cartoon Network showing it every week day for maybe a year, right up to the Majin Boo episodes, then completely randomly it went back to episode 1. I never quite got back into it after that.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Oh and Gohan's Super Saiyan 2 moment was adrenaline to the fullest too.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Did anyone know that Goku, Gohan and Goten are all played from the same actress? Yes, actress.
Yeah, her goku voice is meant to be what a hillbillly sounds like in Japan because Goku grew up in the countryside in relative isolation whilst Gohan is much more well spoken reflecting his academic upbringing.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
I finished rewatching the original series recently for the first time since I was a kid, so much nostalgia, though I had forgotten how perverted it was.

I never watched Z but might give it a go now.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Frieza vs Goku was the climax of that show.

Went downhill from there. But a brilliant show nonetheless.
Yep, as soon as everyone started going SS, the novelty of Goku's transformation and legendary Saiyan started to wear thin. I was initially ok with Trunks too, given his enigmatic introduction vs King Cold/ Frieza; but all the subsequent SS2, SS3, Gotenks, Cell, Buu, Gogeta fusion arse-pulls, and 30 ep. battles with cheesy back and forth dialogues were way over the top - especially when Toriyama marginalized 2 fundamental DB-verse characters, Kuririn and Piccolo. Wish he had stuck with the raw intensity of Goku vs Vegeta, and the whole Namek arc.
:lol: AFAIK, since a lot of the popular Shonen anime are several seasons long, and are aimed at the prepubescent age group with young protagonists, the voice-over is done mostly by women - because their higher pitch doesn't change that much via puberty, and the childish portrayal of the protagonist is maintained. eg. The seiyū for Luffy from One Piece (started in 1999) also did the voice-overs of Yajorobe and Kuririn (1986 onwards), and Koenma from Yu Yu Hakusho. Similar for Naruto and Sabo and Gon from HxH (Junko Takuechi). Makes sense, but totally weird at the same time.

Revan

Assumptionman
:lol: AFAIK, since a lot of the popular Shonen anime are several seasons long, and are aimed at the prepubescent age group with young protagonists, the voice-over is done mostly by women - because their higher pitch doesn't change that much via puberty, and the childish portrayal of the protagonist is maintained. eg. The seiyū for Luffy from One Piece (started in 1999) also did the voice-overs of Yajorobe and Kuririn (1986 onwards), and Koenma from Yu Yu Hakusho. Similar for Naruto and Sabo and Gon from HxH (Junko Takuechi). Makes sense, but totally weird at the same time.
Never knew this. And she is now 78, but is still playing Goku and his kids.

Very weird, but I guess that it makes a bit of sense.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Been dubbed in english now finally. You can probably find the episodes online, has the majority of the same VA's but unfortunately the epic Bruce Falconer soundtrack isnt included takes away from the experience somewhat. The timelines/power scaling/continuity issues do make it a little jarring but I imagine most fans will watch regardless.

MUFC07

I loved Dragon Ball Z, really loved it. I remember it was like some Game of Thrones version of when we were kids, where characters you loved were killed (although later resurrected), but still, it was something different to any other shows available to us at the time.

Is it wrong that I'm watching the new series Dragon Ball Super?

Florida Man

Cartoon expert and crap superhero
They've been showing it on Toonami in the US for a good while now. I've only caught one episode unfortunately. Man, those were the days. But the fight scenes did drag on at times. Wasn't the five minute Frieza bomb for Namac something that lasted like 13 episodes?

Eddy_JukeZ

My favorite Anime show.

The Cell saga was my favorite. I hate what they did to Gohan after that.

Will there ever been an English dub for DB Super?

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Does DB Super still drag as long as DBZ? If not I might binge watch that at some stage as I tried to watch DBZ again a few years ago and got bored due to the dragging out it does.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Does DB Super still drag as long as DBZ? If not I might binge watch that at some stage as I tried to watch DBZ again a few years ago and got bored due to the dragging out it does.
You should try giving DBZ Kai a go, it skips out all the filler. Not entirely sure how long its scheduled to air for been avoiding the japanese version so i can do similar, think its close to 100+? eps now.

I have seen it get bashed a lot online think it might be one of those things that'll have to grow on people, more edited versions and soundtracks and the like. Some of the new transformations are worlds apart from the Frieza/Cell saga yet the mythology seems to be linked back, does make it a tad confusing.

P-Nut

You should try giving DBZ Kai a go, it skips out all the filler. Not entirely sure how long its scheduled to air for been avoiding the japanese version so i can do similar, think its close to 100+? eps now.

I have seen it get bashed a lot online think it might be one of those things that'll have to grow on people, more edited versions and soundtracks and the like. Some of the new transformations are worlds apart from the Frieza/Cell saga yet the mythology seems to be linked back, does make it a tad confusing.
Yeah I'll have to see what it's like loved it as a kid

P-Nut

Just watched the first episode of dB super. I don't mind the dragging out as much cause I haven't seen them before this time. Just wish it had been dubbed as reading the subtitles is a pain.

Ady87

I'm sure I remember watching the show get to the end of the Cell Games saga then instead of going to the Majin Buu stuff it re-set to Namek Saga. I absolutely raged my tits off. FU Cartoon Network.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Just watched the first episode of dB super. I don't mind the dragging out as much cause I haven't seen them before this time. Just wish it had been dubbed as reading the subtitles is a pain.
The dub is out now, I think it's only a few episodes so far though. It's being done by Funimation (not sure if that's the good one).

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
First 7 episodes are online dubbed, they're not too difficult to find .