Television Dragon Ball Z

Yagami

Good post resistant
Dragon Ball & Z are two of my favourite things ever. I hate what they did in GT but I appreciated that they tried to return somewhat to it's roots in making it more of an adventure again. With that, coupled with nostalgia, I don't mind it despite all of it's shit. There were some things I liked.

I cannot stand kai & super. Kai's voice changes are, in my opinion, awful and just ruin it for me. Plus, I don't mind all the filler so the cutting of it isn't a plus with me. I prefer Faulconer's music but love the Japanese, too.

Super is worse than GT for me. It's so bad, and it pains me to say that as I had wanted some sort of continuation of the series for over a decade. I can't believe the official continuation of Z was a bigger let down than GT, but, so far, it has been for me.

R.N7

Such tagline. Wow!
Supports
a wife, three kids and Eboue
I loved Dragon Ball Z, really loved it. I remember it was like some Game of Thrones version of when we were kids, where characters you loved were killed (although later resurrected), but still, it was something different to any other shows available to us at the time.

Is it wrong that I'm watching the new series Dragon Ball Super?
I remember being very disturbed as a kid when Kuririn died in the original show, not only was he a main character but a kid as well, and he was murdered.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Dragon Ball & Z are two of my favourite things ever. I hate what they did in GT but I appreciated that they tried to return somewhat to it's roots in making it more of an adventure again. With that, coupled with nostalgia, I don't mind it despite all of it's shit. There were some things I liked.

I cannot stand kai & super. Kai's voice changes are, in my opinion, awful and just ruin it for me. Plus, I don't mind all the filler so the cutting of it isn't a plus with me. I prefer Faulconer's music but love the Japanese, too.

Super is worse than GT for me. It's so bad, and it pains me to say that as I had wanted some sort of continuation of the series for over a decade. I can't believe the official continuation of Z was a bigger let down than GT, but, so far, it has been for me.
What do you not like about super? I've really enjoyed it so far.

Yagami

Good post resistant
There's a bit so, since I don't like having to type out paragraphs without a keyboard, I will give you the reasons as to why later if you don't mind waiting.:)

Yagami

Good post resistant
Feel free to correct me on anything I may have gotten wrong as I haven't been following the series religiously. Even though I've seen a bit and haven't been too impressed with what I've seen so far, I do still plan on watching the whole series when the English dub is up to date as, well, I do still love the Dragon Ball franchise, and the English dub are the characters to me.

Looking back at my comment, I think I may have been a bit OTT. I wouldn't say "I can't stand it" but I was very disappointed.

The Animation
The animation in the show really takes me out of it sometimes. The original and Z had some bad moments too but Super takes it to an all new level. I sympathise with the animators in Japan due to their heavy working conditions and little pay, but the animation here, for the most part, is really off-putting for me. I'm not the biggest fan of animation used for anime nowadays anyway as I prefer the classic style.

The Goku and Vegeta show

They might as well call it this instead of Super. I love both Goku and Vegeta but I love everyone else, too! I know the original Dragon Ball & Z always revolved around Goku and a couple of others depending on the saga, but I feel it's gone the GT route of sidelining everyone too much.

To this day, out of every Dragon Ball saga, I think the Saiyan and Namek sagas were the best because of the way they used everyone. Plus, they combied the adventure aspect of the original with the all action fights Z started. Seeing all the "Z Fighters" line-up together against Nappa and Vegeta, after their training from Kamé, was awesome. Sure, they didn't really do that well (bar Gohan, Krillin & Piccolo) but the fact that they did something instead of standing on the sidelines was cool. I still Roshi had been apart of it, but hey-ho! Yeah, Goku saved the day, but it was a team effort.

Then, in my favourite saga, the Namek saga, I loved the adventure of it all. Especially as Krillin was at the forefront for a lot of it. The whole travelling to a new planet to search for Dragonballs (which was what the show was about!) whilst trying to avoid Vegeta and Frieza's army, who were also hunting the Dragonballs, was epic. It followed the same formula of the Saiyan Saga in that everyone was just there to hold off the villain until Goku arrived, but I didn't mind that formula. It was nice that there was an element of adventure, and that the likes of Krillin and Piccolo were of some use to the story.

In Super you don't feel like anyone bar these two have any use. Even in the Buu saga you had Piccolo training Goten and Trunks to become Gotenks, Hercule helping, Gohan becoming the strongest, etc.

Goku's character

I don't know if it's because of the original Japanese dialogue (as the English dub changed some of Goku's personality in order to make him more likeable) but I'm not liking Goku as much in this. Not only has he somehow become more stupid, but he's a bit of an arse, too. I mean, apparently he's never kissed Chi-Chi?

Fanfic.net

I swear you'd find some of the stuff they've come out with on Fanfic.net. Frieza coming back, the random transformations, an evil Goku, Future Trunks returning, a female Broly. I just find it all to be a little too fan-servicey. I love Frieza, an evil Goku was interesting (I wasn't a fan of how they did it, though), it was nice to see Future Trunks back, but I was hoping for something more original. The female Broly just makes me want the original Broly, though. I'm all for fan service, but I just feel there's a bit too much here.

Beginning from the recent movies

I honestly don't know why they started Super retelling the movies with the only change being the horrible animation.

Transformations

The transformations now are just crazy. I mean, a SSJGSSJ? With the only difference being the turning blue instead of gold? I like the blue but the gold just felt more epic. The SSJG transformation where they just turn red is a bit disappointing. Frieza's gold form, too. In Z I thought every new transformation Frieza entered was unique whereas now he's just gold. I like gold, but if you're going to give Frieza another transformation, why not do something unique again? Frieza's final form, and his voice that went with it, is iconic and I love it, but it just felt lazy to me that his next form was just him turning gold after his previous transformations.

I criticise a lot of GT but the SSJ4 design was something that surely should've been made canon. It was very unique having shades of the Oozaru (Great Ape) that brought it all back to the actual saiyan race. And it didn't have an absurd name, too!

Sorry for the late reply, and just generally going off on tangents, but I could talk about Dragonball all day. :D

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Feel free to correct me on anything I may have gotten wrong as I haven't been following the series religiously. Even though I've seen a bit and haven't been too impressed with what I've seen so far, I do still plan on watching the whole series when the English dub is up to date as, well, I do still love the Dragon Ball franchise, and the English dub are the characters to me.

Looking back at my comment, I think I may have been a bit OTT. I wouldn't say "I can't stand it" but I was very disappointed.

The Animation
The animation in the show really takes me out of it sometimes.
The original and Z had some bad moments too but Super takes it to an all new level. I sympathise with the animators in Japan due to their heavy working conditions and little pay, but the animation here, for the most part, is really off-putting for me. I'm not the biggest fan of animation used for anime nowadays anyway as I prefer the classic style.

The Goku and Vegeta show

They might as well call it this instead of Super. I love both Goku and Vegeta but I love everyone else, too! I know the original Dragon Ball & Z always revolved around Goku and a couple of others depending on the saga, but I feel it's gone the GT route of sidelining everyone too much.

To this day, out of every Dragon Ball saga, I think the Saiyan and Namek sagas were the best because of the way they used everyone. Plus, they combied the adventure aspect of the original with the all action fights Z started. Seeing all the "Z Fighters" line-up together against Nappa and Vegeta, after their training from Kamé, was awesome. Sure, they didn't really do that well (bar Gohan, Krillin & Piccolo) but the fact that they did something instead of standing on the sidelines was cool. I still Roshi had been apart of it, but hey-ho! Yeah, Goku saved the day, but it was a team effort.

Then, in my favourite saga, the Namek saga, I loved the adventure of it all. Especially as Krillin was at the forefront for a lot of it. The whole travelling to a new planet to search for Dragonballs (which was what the show was about!) whilst trying to avoid Vegeta and Frieza's army, who were also hunting the Dragonballs, was epic. It followed the same formula of the Saiyan Saga in that everyone was just there to hold off the villain until Goku arrived, but I didn't mind that formula. It was nice that there was an element of adventure, and that the likes of Krillin and Piccolo were of some use to the story.

In Super you don't feel like anyone bar these two have any use. Even in the Buu saga you had Piccolo training Goten and Trunks to become Gotenks, Hercule helping, Gohan becoming the strongest, etc.

Goku's character

I don't know if it's because of the original Japanese dialogue (as the English dub changed some of Goku's personality in order to make him more likeable) but I'm not liking Goku as much in this. Not only has he somehow become more stupid, but he's a bit of an arse, too. I mean, apparently he's never kissed Chi-Chi?

Fanfic.net

I swear you'd find some of the stuff they've come out with on Fanfic.net. Frieza coming back, the random transformations, an evil Goku, Future Trunks returning, a female Broly. I just find it all to be a little too fan-servicey. I love Frieza, an evil Goku was interesting (I wasn't a fan of how they did it, though), it was nice to see Future Trunks back, but I was hoping for something more original. The female Broly just makes me want the original Broly, though. I'm all for fan service, but I just feel there's a bit too much here.

Beginning from the recent movies

I honestly don't know why they started Super retelling the movies with the only change being the horrible animation.

Transformations

The transformations now are just crazy. I mean, a SSJGSSJ? With the only difference being the turning blue instead of gold? I like the blue but the gold just felt more epic. The SSJG transformation where they just turn red is a bit disappointing. Frieza's gold form, too. In Z I thought every new transformation Frieza entered was unique whereas now he's just gold. I like gold, but if you're going to give Frieza another transformation, why not do something unique again? Frieza's final form, and his voice that went with it, is iconic and I love it, but it just felt lazy to me that his next form was just him turning gold after his previous transformations.

I criticise a lot of GT but the SSJ4 design was something that surely should've been made canon. It was very unique having shades of the Oozaru (Great Ape) that brought it all back to the actual saiyan race. And it didn't have an absurd name, too!

Sorry for the late reply, and just generally going off on tangents, but I could talk about Dragonball all day. :D
1. Regarding the animation, I don't really watch a lot apart from the Dragonball series and Initial D so I probably don't notice the bad stuff as much as somebody else. I've never let this effect me though.

2. I agree since GT they've sidelined a lot of the others, but I think they admitted it was impossible to make people like Yamcha or Krillin keep up with the Saiyans. For every new level they achieved a human would never match that power, so instead they just gave them more comical roles. I was most annoyed about them sidelining Gohan with being a teacher etc, but they look to be changing that now. With the new Universal tournament coming up Gohan is well involved, and looks like you might get your wish of Krillin and Master Roshi joining in too!. They need 10 fighters, so outside of the Saiyans there is plenty of space for others.

3. Frieza coming back isn't really a surprise to me, he was "the" villian, and let's not forget it was a long time since the show started. I think they did that just so some older fans would relate and it would feel similar to them. Now they are going the way of new enemies like Hit, who is pretty cool.

4. Transformations is a difficult one, I doubt they originally saw much further past being SSJ1, they pretty much nailed that to begin with. Adding new levels will always require new changes, but apart from keep growing his hair or giving him a tail there wasn't much more that they could do IMO.

Regarding the Frieza transformation, it's logical he turned gold as that was what the legendary SSJ did. He has SSJ stuck in his brain and has nightmares of him. No wonder once he got strong enough to transform he "chose" or "became" gold. I agree I liked the SSJ4 transformations too but I think they wanted to move away from the use of the Oozaru, it was too OP.

Overall I agree it's not perfect in places but they are doing a good job of bringing other characters back into involvement. I like the fact with the new universe's they can practically have free reign. They can bring Broly back, or they can make new characters. Broly was awesome and I am sure many people will go crazy when he transforms again.

I have certainly enjoyed Super more than GT.

Bwuk

Super is excellent. I do wonder how the tournament will end, it's too predictable that Goku wins and uses the super dragonballs to revive everyone

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I started watching this when I last commented and I've almost caught it up already. Up to the mid 50's already and really enjoying it. Yes it still has some of the same problems it's always had. Goku saving everything, other characters not keeping up etc.

I want to ask a question as I never finished z and don't know if I've missed it somewhere as I haven't watched the others in between so if it's something I should know that'd be great.

Why aren't Goku and Vegeta around in future trunks time? Obviously don't answer this if I will find out later but if it's in one of the previous series it'd clear up a lot for me.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Super is excellent. I do wonder how the tournament will end, it's too predictable that Goku wins and uses the super dragonballs to revive everyone
I actually think Universe 7 will be destroyed because Beerus or Champa (can't remember which one) revived planet earth Universe 6.

@Yagami
As for this being the Goku and Vegeta show, I actually think they've the two of them less super by introducing characters like Beerus, Whis and Hit. Suddenly these two have something to aspire to rather than just GOKUWINSLOL.

I started watching this when I last commented and I've almost caught it up already. Up to the mid 50's already and really enjoying it. Yes it still has some of the same problems it's always had. Goku saving everything, other characters not keeping up etc.

I want to ask a question as I never finished z and don't know if I've missed it somewhere as I haven't watched the others in between so if it's something I should know that'd be great.

Why aren't Goku and Vegeta around in future trunks time? Obviously don't answer this if I will find out later but if it's in one of the previous series it'd clear up a lot for me.
They died, Vegeta was killed by the androids and Goku died from some disease.

P-Nut

I actually think Universe 7 will be destroyed because Beerus or Champa (can't remember which one) revived planet earth Universe 6.

@Yagami
As for this being the Goku and Vegeta show, I actually think they've the two of them less super by introducing characters like Beerus, Whis and Hit. Suddenly these two have something to aspire to rather than just GOKUWINSLOL.

They died, Vegeta was killed by the androids and Goku died from some disease.
But they've been revived in the present so surely that would also change the future?

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Someone earlier in this thread summmed this up pretty well...like Game of Thrones except when you were a kid. Can't remember too many shows other than this where I'd be so drawn in and hooked.

Cartoon Network used to do that thing where one day it suddenly wouldn't be a new episode and would skip back to the beginning, and you'd have to wait about 6 months before they started showing any further. It'd put me in a bad mood for about 3 days. I'd tune in the next day hoping it was some kind of mistake.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Used to have all the seasons on boxset but cant for the life of me think what i've done with them. Wanted to do a Z rewatch but cant find the episodes online with the falconer dub.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Someone earlier in this thread summmed this up pretty well...like Game of Thrones except when you were a kid. Can't remember too many shows other than this where I'd be so drawn in and hooked.

Cartoon Network used to do that thing where one day it suddenly wouldn't be a new episode and would skip back to the beginning, and you'd have to wait about 6 months before they started showing any further. It'd put me in a bad mood for about 3 days. I'd tune in the next day hoping it was some kind of mistake.
God I remember throwing some tantrums over that happening :lol:

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Used to love this so much.. Wouldn't mind giving this another go.
Honestly, if they'd remaster the DBZ series (so same Bruce faulconer music and voices etc) with some DBZ Kai-esque filler cutting, I'd totally watch it again.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Anyone see that new game Dragon Ball Fighter Z game? Looks fecking dope. It's made by Arc Systems so you know you'll get great gfx, soundtrack and gameplay (they made guilty gear).

I'd upload a trailer but on my phone, I'm not sure how to do that, so please, someone do the honours.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Anyone see that new game Dragon Ball Fighter Z game? Looks fecking dope. It's made by Arc Systems so you know you'll get great gfx, soundtrack and gameplay (they made guilty gear).

I'd upload a trailer but on my phone, I'm not sure how to do that, so please, someone do the honours.
This one?

I dont like this version at all. Same reason I dont play these Marvel vs Capcom games. I used to play a Dragon Ball Z game which was a bit more open world where you can actually fly up into open spaces when you're fighting and it would look like the actual anime. This is just shit and it depends on who can press the buttons faster.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Anyone watching the new DB Super anime? The latest arc is such a hype train cant wait for more :drool:

P-Nut

Anyone watching the new DB Super anime? The latest arc is such a hype train cant wait for more :drool:
Yeah I'm watching the subbed ones cause the dubbed one wasn't moving fast enough for me.

It's about time the tournament kicked off though seems like I've been waiting for ages!

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
This one?

I dont like this version at all. Same reason I dont play these Marvel vs Capcom games. I used to play a Dragon Ball Z game which was a bit more open world where you can actually fly up into open spaces when you're fighting and it would look like the actual anime. This is just shit and it depends on who can press the buttons faster.
How can you not like the look of this? Graphics are insane, game play is fluent and moves seem spot on.

Not a massive DBZ fan but I'll be all over this like a tramps coat.

schwarzfahren

Loved this as a kid. My older brother watched it so I saw it plenty. I love plots that have to do with finding and collecting things. :drool:

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
This one?

That's the one. Surprised by your opinion on it. It was one of the most hyped games at E3, and for good reason.

I get what your saying about MvC, when your starting off in that game, it feels like whoever mashes the buttons first wins but when you look under the bonnet, there's actually lots of depth there. Just takes quite a bit of time and patience.

Shark

@NotShark
Anyone pick this up? it's gotten incredible reviews. I haven't bought a DBZ game in years but this one is really tempting me.

Andersons Dietician

Anyone pick this up? it's gotten incredible reviews. I haven't bought a DBZ game in years but this one is really tempting me.

I am tempted but I haven’t played any of the previous games and to be honest I haven’t enjoyed a fight game since Killer Intstinct on the N64. Tried that DC fight game recently nd hated it but the Dragon Ball nastalga has kicked in a lot. Might go get that Crunchy Roll as I haven’t seen any of Dragonball super yet except for clips on YouTube.

RDCR07

FINALLY found the game I was talking about - DRAGON BALL RAGING BLAST 2! This game is more open world and better than this new game's marvel vs capcom mode.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
FINALLY found the game I was talking about - DRAGON BALL RAGING BLAST 2! This game is more open world and better than this new game's marvel vs capcom mode.

:lol:

No way is that better than the new game. But each to their own.

RDCR07

:lol:

No way is that better than the new game. But each to their own.
I dont think you understand my POV. I am not talking about the graphics but in terms of actually being to fly and move about rather than standing next to each other and figuring out who can press the buttons faster.

Silas

I played the hell out of this back when it came out. Shame it didn't have a proper story mode.

Budokai Tenkaichi 2 was probably my favourite.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
Just started playing FighterZ and wow it’s exceptionally good for a DBZ game. Feels like it holds its own as a fighting game which is unlike any previous DBZ title. Probably the most addicted I’ve been to a multi-player mode since Super Smash bros. Yet to try out the story mode and not really expecting too much but it’s been seriously enjoyable. Pretty sad that Super is about to end now just when the Franchise is really regaining momentum and Super itself has picked up.

@Yagami – I’m interested if your opinion of Super is the same since the TOP arc?

I think a lot of your assessments were actually spot on and still ring true with excessive transformations and fanfic like storylines. But they’ve certainly picked some things up since. I don’t see how it can be compared to GT which was just an abomination and pretty much a betrayal of the series.

The animation is still hit and miss but when it hits (See Episode 122) by god it is glorious. It’s less now an issue of quality but more recycled scenes which can be annoying - it was to be expected in such an ambitious arc.

I think they’ve actually made more of a conscious effort to get other characters involved - Furture Trunks being the star of the previous arc, even with its atrocious ending and characters like 17, Roshi , Frieza and the U6 Saiyans being fundamental parts of the TOP. Even then the “Goku/Vegeta show” was a huge upgrade on GT as they essentially destroyed Vegeta’s character in every which was possible. Super has handled his character extremely well if nothing else.

Goku’s character was always different from the Japanese and English dubs. The English dub has always tried to make him more heroic when he’s actually just a simple minded guy who wants to fight stronger guys. Even the English dub is starting to make these changes now.

The TOP has brought out some of the very best and very worst moments through all of Dragonball IMO – I’d say on the whole it’s been a success and just about lived up to the hype but U7 being so dominant could have been avoided or at least done better. They obviously have to get the screen time but I just wish they could have left Goku being the reason for their erasure as a reason for them to be targeted so heavily. Been more good than bad in my opinion with Roshi and 17 exceptional highlights.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Can't recommend DBZ: Abridged highly enough for people who have watched Dragon Ball Z. You can tell during the first season that they're still getting to grips with things in terms of how to make it feel like a professional production, but what it turns into in my opinion is a comedy of Peep Show, Parks and Recreation, etc quality. Don't want to spoil too much, but it's brilliant what they've done with the characters, and here are a couple of clips for anyone who wants to see what it's about:

Oo0AahCantona

Cant watch it without the old bruce faulcner music. and its impossible to find that version anywhere anymore.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
Cant watch it without the old bruce faulcner music. and its impossible to find that version anywhere anymore.
Think I'd struggle with that a bit too.

Can't recommend DBZ: Abridged highly enough for people who have watched Dragon Ball Z. You can tell during the first season that they're still getting to grips with things in terms of how to make it feel like a professional production, but what it turns into in my opinion is a comedy of Peep Show, Parks and Recreation, etc quality. Don't want to spoil too much, but it's brilliant what they've done with the characters, and here are a couple of clips for anyone who wants to see what it's about:

Though that Gohan vid made me chuckle :lol:

KingEric7

Think I'd struggle with that a bit too.

Though that Gohan vid made me chuckle :lol:
It's brilliant... can't praise it enough, like I say! They've redone the show in an abridged format, and it's full of stuff like this:

The voice acting is so professional, and in terms of running gags it's up there with Archer and Arrested Development.

KingEric7

:lol::lol::lol:

I'll have to check it out, cheers!
Your welcome. :)

Again, don't want to spoil anything, but it's hilarious what they've done to Mr Popo's character (and many others...Vegeta, Lord Guru on Namek, etc), so I'll send these in case anyone is thinking of watching:

Last edited:

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Trailer for the new Dragon Ball series, I think it is more of a promotional tool and might not even be canon.