Dubai Globe Soccer Club of the Century* Award (*2001-2020)

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

The clubs and the honours won in that time (Leagues, Champions Leagues, Cups (no 'friendly' ones like Charity Shield/Super Cups):

Al Ahly
Egyptian Premier Leagues: 13
CAF Champions Leagues: 6
Egypt Cups: 5

Barcelona
La Ligas: 10
UEFA Champions Leagues: 4
Copa del Reys: 6

Bayern Munich
Bundesligas: 14
UEFA Champions Leagues: 3
DFP-Pokals: 10

Juventus
Serie As: 11
UEFA Champions Leagues: 0
Coppa Italias: 4

Liverpool
Premier Leagues: 1
UEFA Champions Leagues: 2
FA Cups: 2
League Cups: 3

Manchester United
Premier Leagues: 7
UEFA Champions Leagues: 1
League Cups: 4

Paris St Germain
Ligue 1s: 7
Coupe de France: 8
Coupe de la Ligue: 7

Real Madrid
La Ligas: 7
UEFA Champions Leagues: 5
Copa del Reys: 2

Numbers for some might be slightly off. Ridiculous not to have Chelsea on there over Liverpool. Been by far the more consistent side over the past 20 years.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Liverpool should be nowhere near that list.

United could win based on 2001-13

Barca might just edge out Real but its very hard to say who has been better in that period.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Barca winners all day long. It's fair to say they've won this part of the century for the football they (Pep) introduced.

As for English clubs, none have won the CL more than once this century except Liverpool. If it were that easy, Jose or Alex at least would have. Can't believe PSG are in there and I'm surprised, no shocked, that City aren't considering who's running the awards.

OleBoiii

Real, Barca, Bayern and us are the only serious contenders, imo.

It's not gonna be us because of the post Fergie era, which makes up more than 1/3 of the century so far. Bayern, though they are probably the best run club, will probably not win it either because of the status of the Bundesliga.

It's a toss-up between Barca and Real, though I reckon the former will win because of that Pep team.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool

It's not gonna be us because of the post Fergie era, which makes up more than 1/3 of the century so far. Bayern, though they are probably the best run club, will probably not win it either because of the status of the Bundesliga.

It's a toss-up between Barca and Real, though I reckon the former will win because of that Pep team.
Ferguson only won one CL this century. Unsurprisingly, you're overrating yourselves by putting yourselves up there with the other three far superior clubs during the same period.

OleBoiii

As for English clubs, none have won the CL more than once this century except Liverpool. If it were that easy, Jose or Alex at least would have. Can't believe PSG are in there and I'm surprised, no shocked, that City aren't considering who's running the awards.
It's a reason for why that Liverpool team in 2005, along with Mourinho's Porto and Di Matteo's Chelsea, often is brought up as an example of how the best teams don't necessarily win. Cups are volatile, and the CL is no different.

Also, Liverpool didn't have to deal with arguably the best club team in football history. Fergie would easily have won 1-2 more CL trophies if not for that. Counting CL trophies alone is stupid. The PL is just as valid.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
It's a reason for why that Liverpool team in 2005, along with Mourinho's Porto and Di Matteo's Chelsea, often is brought up as an example of how the best teams don't necessarily win. Cups are volatile, and the CL is no different.

Also, Liverpool didn't have to deal with arguably the best club team in football history. Fergie would easily have won 1-2 more CL trophies if not for that. Counting CL trophies alone is stupid. The PL is just as valid.
I hear this often. Bayern had no problem winning three, yes three, to your one CL during the same timeframe.

GazTheLegend

Barca winners all day long. It's fair to say they've won this part of the century for the football they (Pep) introduced.

Know it sounds trite but we really should have won more champions leagues than we did. We were the best side in it on more than a few occasions. I'd say the season Jose won it with Porto we should have won it, and that season against Louis van Gaals Bayern Munich, and maybe even 2012 against Real Madrid (the Nani red card) when we were in total control of the game. But that said - you're not wrong at all, Barcelona hands down have been THE team of the 21st century so far.

Edit : so based on RAW ABILITY over the 21st century we'd be a lot closer than some would care to admit but Barcelona have the titles to back up that claim.

OleBoiii

Ferguson only won one CL this century. Unsurprisingly, you're overrating yourselves by putting yourselves up there with the other three far superior clubs during the same period.
Why are you focusing exclusively on the CL? Also, apart from a few freaky results, Fergie's United was more or less consistently stronger than Bayern for around 2/3 of the century so far. It's not unheard of that we are up there with Bayern overall.

Winning the PL 3 years in a row during a time where the PL was considered the best league in the world, is extreme.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Liverpool have no business being in that list with their grand total of 1 league title.

OleBoiii

I hear this often. Bayern had no problem winning three, yes three, to your one CL during the same timeframe.
Bayern also "dodged" that great Pep team, though. By the time they bested them, they had already been great for 3(?) years. A great team typically only lasts 3 years.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
Bayern also "dodged" that great Pep team, though. By the time they bested them, they had already been great for 3(?) years. A great team typically only lasts 3 years.
If you read this back it is very excuse like. Again it's a Utd forum and this is what you've been fed in your time here (I know I've been on here for 16+ years now). I've seen the same thing on other fans forums including my own club. It's the old if my aunty had bollocks she'd be my uncle adage.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
It also depends a little on the draw or who knocks out who. Inter and Chelsea could deal much better with Pep’s Barca than us because of their style of play.
Whereas we could deal better with Inter and Chelsea than Barca could.

OleBoiii

If you read this back it is very excuse like. Again it's a Utd forum and this is what you've been fed in your time here (I know I've been on here for 16+ years now). I've seen the same thing on other fans forums including my own club. It's the old if my aunty had bollocks she'd be my uncle adage.
It's not like I'm counting those losses to Pep as wins. But you can't exclude everything that's not 1st place when discussing average level over 20 years. By your logic a team can win 1 CL and fail to qualify for the remaining 19 and still be considered better overall than a team that always qualifies and makes top 4.

Infra-red

Has to be Barcelona. Reached heights that no others can match in that period.

Not sure who is more deserving of the runners up prize between Real and Bayern - perhaps Real for the plethora of CL titles. Big gap to the rest.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
With no bias, it has to be al ahly. You can say the competition is higher elsewhere but its all relative.

My choice, al ahly.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
WTF are these awards...?

If it's club of the century shouldn't they take place in 2100, ? Or from 1920-2020? Why the random period from 2001-2020?

I wouldn't vote any of them stupid concept....

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.

We should not be anywhere near them three.

OleBoiii

We should not be anywhere near them three.
I'm inclined to agree because the post Fergie era has been so long now. But up until Fergie retired(more than 2/3 into the century so far) I'd argue that we were the best team of the century overall. And if not, then it's marginal.

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
Psg have no business being in this list any more than Lyon have, who won like 8 titles in a row between 2010-20.

Bayern, Barca and Real the three obvious favorites, with Barca edging it, I think.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
So they added Liverpool but not Lyon who were literally the face of French football in the 2000s ? :houllier:

Statue of Limitations

I'd go for Real Madrid for their European Dominance.
I'd actually have us just behind Barca as we dominated domestically and won the CL, multiple final appearances as well on top of the Europa.
Bayern 4th, PSG, Pool and the Egyptian team have no right to be there.

Why include league cups but not the Europa League? Seems strange.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
1. Barca
2. Real
3. United
4. Bayern
5. Juventus
6. PSG
7. Liverpool
8. Al Ahly

I put Barca at the top purely because I think they had a bigger influence on football and furtherover the core of that squad also dominated at international level but they are ahead of Real by much.

Us ahead of Bayern because we succeeded in a much tougher league despite winning fewer champions leagues. We also had to face the best team of the generation twice otherwise we'd have probably won more.

Juventus were relegated in this generation but came back well however there's no way they have done better than Bayern.

PSG came into wealth and have won Ligue 1 with ease but haven't shown enough in Europe. Liverpool have won the Champions League twice but have been nowhere near as good domestically until 2 years ago. Chelsea or City should've been here instead.

Al Ahly are there purely to have a team from the middle-East but that spot could've been taken by Arsenal, Chelsea, City etc.

Real or Barca is the most interesting, I don't say Barca were better with great certainty but mostly because I feel their influence on football was much greater. Real managed to do something no other team has.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location

United discounted because SAF was only manager for 13 of the 20 years under consideration. Barcelona wins for "that Pep team" when he was there for only 4 years out of the 20 years under consideration. What about that Zidane team which won 3 CLs in a row?

Come on, ffs!

Sarni

I'm inclined to agree because the post Fergie era has been so long now. But up until Fergie retired(more than 2/3 into the century so far) I'd argue that we were the best team of the century overall. And if not, then it's marginal.
Yeah until 2013, with the exception of 2003-2006 period, we were up amongst the best teams in Europe consistently. Since 2013 we haven’t really been among the best teams in our own country and it’s more than a third of this century.

Sarni

United discounted because SAF was only manager for 13 of the 20 years under consideration. Barcelona wins for "that Pep team" when he was there for only 4 years out of the 20 years under consideration. What about that Zidane team which won 3 CLs in a row?

Come on, ffs!
Barcelona have been consistently good since 2006 with only a few seasons of exception, and in those seasons they were still going deep in CL.

Madrid have been very good for all of the time with the exception of 2004-09 when they were getting knocked out in Last 16 of CL but still winning trophies domestically.

We have been insignificant domestically and in Europe for the last 7 years to an extent that never occurred at Barca or Madrid this century.

Sarni

So they added Liverpool but not Lyon who were literally the face of French football in the 2000s ? :houllier:
Never very significant in Europe though and haven’t won Ligue 1 for 12 years.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Barcelona have been consistently good since 2006 with only a few seasons of exception, and in those seasons they were still going deep in CL.

Madrid have been very good for all of the time with the exception of 2004-09 when they were getting knocked out in Last 16 of CL but still winning trophies domestically.

We have been insignificant domestically and in Europe for the last 7 years to an extent that never occurred at Barca or Madrid this century.
I don't disagree with you, but, that was not my point with my post, at all. We did win a European trophy in the last 7 years though.

Web of Bissaka

Al Ahly
Egyptian Premier Leagues: 13
CAF Champions Leagues: 6
Egypt Cups: 5

Barcelona
La Ligas: 10
UEFA Champions Leagues: 4
Copa del Reys: 6

Bayern Munich
Bundesligas: 14
UEFA Champions Leagues: 3
DFP-Pokals: 10

Juventus
Serie As: 11

Liverpool
Premier Leagues: 1

Manchester United
Premier Leagues: 7

Paris St Germain
Ligue 1s: 7
Coupe de France: 8
Coupe de la Ligue: 7

Real Madrid
La Ligas: 7
UEFA Champions Leagues: 5
Copa del Reys: 2
Since UEFA CL is a huge factor which explains Pool's inclusion, then...

Chelsea?
Premier Leagues: 5
FA Cups: 5

PSG in is a huge joke of this award.
Juve at least have their historic 4 consecutive doubles and 9 consecutive league titles, which is just amazing.

The rest can't be argued against.

T_Model101

Was there not a South American team they could put in?
Have Al Alhy even reached the latter stages of the club world Cup....?

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Really don't get the obsession of people with awards.

I wonder if I make up a fake award people will still lose their hair over it

Web of Bissaka

1. Barca
2. Real
3. United
4. Bayern
5. Juventus
6. PSG
7. Liverpool
8. Al Ahly
For me personally it's..

1. Barca 46
2. Real 41
3. Bayern 39
4. United 39
5. Chelsea 33
6. Juve 26
7. City 22
8. PSG 22
9. Liverpool 19
10. Inter 19
11. Milan 15
12. Arsenal 15

Mainly due to CL and total number of trophies, if CL = 5, the other trophies = 1 each. But EPL = 4 since it's the hardest (often battle of 4 clubs changing titles after every few seasons) and both Serie A/La Liga = 2 since it's harder than the rest and battle of usually just 2 clubs. Also if the points are the same, then team with more CL trophies is higher. As for City, it's because PL is way more difficult.

Just realize the award is not including Europa League?

Not including teams from Portugal and Netherlands for obvious reasons... France is really on the border. PSG and Monaco once before came closest to winning the CL though, but then other than Mourinho's Porto once, are there any Portuguese teams (no offense) even that good in CL? The levels are too different compare to teams from the top 4 best leagues.

Inter
Serie As: 5

AC Milan
Serie As: 2
Coppa Italias: 1

Arsenal
Premier Leagues: 2
FA Cups: 7

City
Premier Leagues: 4

But what about Al-Ahly?
1. Al Ahly

Because seriously it's in competitions of its own, and they're the best there with ridiculous high number of titles won consistently. Can't really compare with the rest. Why are they not competing in UEFA CL again? Yeah I get the european thing, because they're not in the region. It's going to be a joke if they won this award because the level of competitions is just not comparable. They're only included because this award is "globe" so to only include all European clubs is just...

Conclusion?
Barca should win it. They're annoyingly good during the period of year 2001 until 2020. Overall they're the best and most consistent every competitions even if they declined massively at the end.