Film Dune

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout

kps88

Hope they do a proper big budget TV series on HBO or Netflix. Don't think films can do the books justice.

Revan

Assumptionman
Legendary Pictures have bought the rights. Too early to say what they're going to do with them, hopefully a big budget TV series or a few films.

I love the original books (the prequels by his son read like bad fan-fic and are an utter disgrace).

http://www.empireonline.com/movies/dune/legendary-entertainment-grabs-rights-frank-herbert-dune/

Any other Dune fans?
Loved the first book, but though that the sequels were shit and stopped reading after God Emperor of Dune.

I think that there was a movie and a TV series in the past but people didn't like them. Would be interesting to see how this goes.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Herbert was a visionary. He was on about drinking your own piss decades before Bear Grylls made it fashionable.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
That game was my favourite at the time, to bad that the follow-up Dune 2000 sucked ass.

duffer

Scout
Well, as this thread seemed so popular, I'll bump it.

Legendary decided to make a film, which seems mad given the nature of the book.

I'm pleased with the quality of the cast and crew that I''ve seen so far...

Directed by Denis Villeneuve

Screenplay by
Eric Roth
Jon Spaihts
Denis Villeneuve

Starring
Timothée Chalamet
Rebecca Ferguson
Oscar Isaac
Josh Brolin
Stellan Skarsgård
Dave Bautista
Zendaya
Charlotte Rampling
Jason Momoa
Javier Bardem

Music by Hans Zimmer
Cinematography Greig Fraser

Release date
December 18, 2020

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Well, as this thread seemed so popular, I'll bump it.

Legendary decided to make a film, which seems mad given the nature of the book.

I'm pleased with the quality of the cast and crew that I''ve seen so far...

Directed by Denis Villeneuve

Screenplay by
Eric Roth
Jon Spaihts
Denis Villeneuve

Starring
Timothée Chalamet
Rebecca Ferguson
Oscar Isaac
Josh Brolin
Stellan Skarsgård
Dave Bautista
Zendaya
Charlotte Rampling
Jason Momoa
Javier Bardem

Music by Hans Zimmer
Cinematography Greig Fraser

Release date
December 18, 2020
They're splitting it in half I think, which could work. Gonna look incredible either way, imax needed.

Ubik

Weird song choice for the trailer. Visually looks pretty great, should've saved the worm for later though.

kps88

Would have preferred to hear more of the Zimmer score rather than the Floyd song but visually this looks great. Really hope I get to see this in Imax.

duffer

Scout
Batista looks great as Rabban.

Karl Drogo looks shit as Duncan Idaho.

Overall looks promising! Not enough Baron Harkonnen in the trailer for my liking.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Looks drab, dull, boring.
Maybe, sorta, kinda... It was obvious from the beginning it'll be hard to top Kyle Maclachlan's Paul, but there was some fears before Blade Runner 2049 too and Villeneuve didn't f*cked that up.

Bobski

Dunes deserves an outstanding adaptation. It is a titan of the genre, perhaps mined to such a point that it has lost some of its impact, but still, I hope they don't mess this up.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I read the original six books ages ago (probably 25 years ago - this may be the oldest I've ever felt...), and loved them back then. I am not a a big fan of the original movie (although I wish it a speedy recovery), so I hope this one does better. If nothing else, I hope the film will at least have the visual awesomeness of Bladerunner 2049 - which I thought was a little flat overall but had many absolutely stunning scenes and shots visually. Looking forward to it!

I'll be so happy if the new movie can catch the Harkonnen's might of their of heavy tank divisions or heavy infantry.
Or insert the Ordos into the film. :lol: Brilliant game anyway, one of the best of its time IMO. It makes no sense to go back to it now of course; I tried it, but it feels just impossibly slow and clunky now. But it was awesome back then! I played it on an 386SX with 2mb RAM. When we upgraded that to 4mb RAM and got ourselves a soundblaster AWE 32, the game suddenly started talking to me during its introduction! Still one of the most striking moments I experience as a gamer. (Try to explain that to someone growing up with games now. :) )

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I read the original six books ages ago (probably 25 years ago - this may be the oldest I've ever felt...), and loved them back then. I am not a a big fan of the original movie (although I wish it a speedy recovery), so I hope this one does better. If nothing else, I hope the film will at least have the visual awesomeness of Bladerunner 2049 - which I thought was a little flat overall but had many absolutely stunning scenes and shots visually. Looking forward to it!

Or insert the Ordos into the film. :lol: Brilliant game anyway, one of the best of its time IMO. It makes no sense to go back to it now of course; I tried it, but it feels just impossibly slow and clunky now. But it was awesome back then! I played it on an 386SX with 2mb RAM. When we upgraded that to 4mb RAM and got ourselves a soundblaster AWE 32, the game suddenly started talking to me during its introduction! Still one of the most striking moments I experience as a gamer. (Try to explain that to someone growing up with games now. :) )
The game itself could fit on two or three floppy disks and I remember being shocked how they managed to compress so many voices in cutscenes and for units... and this was before CD era with it's hits like Star Wars: Dark Forces which was praised for exactly same things Dune II was praised.

Usually used to create a heavy tank line with few trikes and infantry slowly closing on enemy's base. No hurry, one square per few minutes, controlling the range and annihilating everything what's alerted by my presence. Good times and I hope Villeneuve's Dune will do that to new Star Wars flicks as this franchise was always living in the shadow of Lucas' empire.

Nickosaur

Looks class, but anything Villeneuve does is great.

Got goosebumps seeing the sandworm...

Ubik

Batista looks great as Rabban.

Karl Drogo looks shit as Duncan Idaho.

Overall looks promising! Not enough Baron Harkonnen in the trailer for my liking.
Not convinced on Chalamet as Muad'Dib yet, he likes to mumble.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
The game itself could fit on two or three floppy disks and I remember being shocked how they managed to compress so many voices in cutscenes and for units... and this was before CD era with it's hits like Star Wars: Dark Forces which was praised for exactly same things Dune II was praised.

Usually used to create a heavy tank line with few trikes and infantry slowly closing on enemy's base. No hurry, one square per few minutes, controlling the range and annihilating everything what's alerted by my presence. Good times and I hope Villeneuve's Dune will do that to new Star Wars flicks as this franchise was always living in the shadow of Lucas' empire.
sonic tanks + Fremen ftw :lol:
I remember Ordos having this weird special unit, that could take over control over other units, but it wasn't really reliable.

fun fact: another studio released a different dune game at the same time. It was a mix of point-n-click adventure and strategy game. I was a really weird combination. I never really understood it as kid.

Zen86

Looks ok. I expected the worst when I heard about another film, like Hayden Christensen playing Paul kind of level.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I’ve just started reading the book. Will report back.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
The Villeneuve aesthetics
What a cynic.

Lynch had put me off reading Dune for the past 15 years, but with Sting's codpiece a fading memory the urge to give the book a go was finally returning. But the new trailer has put a dampener on that. It's selling that same dreary portentousness as every other bloated sci-fi actioner. I thought Dune was supposed to be all about spice trading and riding the worm. This looks like that familiar Hollywood warrior hokum, filtered through a tired Orientalism, that seems to stink up every fantasy show.

Last edited:

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
sonic tanks + Fremen ftw :lol:
I remember Ordos having this weird special unit, that could take over control over other units, but it wasn't really reliable.

fun fact: another studio released a different dune game at the same time. It was a mix of point-n-click adventure and strategy game. I was a really weird combination. I never really understood it as kid.
Ahhh the first Dune game that looked just like Lynch's movie. Mixing strategy with adventure point n click could be too weird even for today. World wasn't simply prepared. :lol:

Sonic tanks can be deadly even for it's own units, though... was always fuming when playing Harkonnen and one sonic tank could damage my units, defense tower and buildings behind by firing just a single wave. It was great touch for Atreides having thing for sound wave and weaponizing it for mobile divisions. If I was Villeneuve I would just play the games rather than watching Lynch's version and obsessing too much over it. So many cool ideas.