Dunphy - Keane "lost the plot", will never be a "serious manager"

B Cantona

Desperate
As opposed to losing the plot and never being a serious pundit?

I say we ban all alchys from tele. If Philip Schofield is caught in the cross fire, so be it

Name Changed

weso26
Dunphy says one thing one week, and the opposite the next week. Who really gives a flying feck about Dunphy?

Castolo

He is the Dave Whelan of punditry, the old piss-stained drunk in the corner that no one listens to.

::sonny::

:rolleyes:

Sunderland's defenders in particularly are all very shite

Many of 'em are ridiculous (Danny Collins :lol: , Anton Ferdinand :nervous: , Pascal Chimbonda).

Brophs

The One and Only
Dunphy's comments definitely have quite a bit to do with the fact that not long after the Haaland scandal, Keane effectively severed his ties with him. He was clever enough to know that a shit-stirrer like Dunphy would continue to cause him problems as long as he entertained his nonsense.

He's a terribly bitter man.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
I dont particularly like Dunphy because of his comments on United on RTE and the like - it does my head in :devil:

But lets face some of facts here - not everything Dunphy has said here is nonsense. Look at some of the players he's bought & look at how he's used them. He's made some other massive fecks ups & seems to open his mouth on numerous occasions about matters of Sunderland interest that should be kept indoors & other matters that dont concern him at all.

You shouldnt just take Keano's side of things because he was a great player for us - call it like it is. Keano's like a woman on her period sometimes - mood swings aplenty & prone to outbursts!

There's quite a few folk still thinkin Keano will take over from Fergie - that will never happen. He's still a young manager but i dont see any signs of maturity for the role of managing one of the greatest football clubs in the history of the game. If he does prove me wrong i'll be delighted - trust me, but he doesnt seem to have the know-how nor the man-management skills - plus he goes public with just about everything!

He's bought shit loads of players & decided he wanted alot of them to go out on loan after only joining a few weeks. These players said "what - feck that shit - whats that all about - i've just arrived - i'm going no-where...." he then goes public & accuses them of not giving a shit but would rather just pick up their pay check than play football :nono:

First things first - when you sign for a club you expect only to play & train for that club unless after a period of time the club decides to sell you on. Keano was out of order in trying to force these players on after they just arrived. I'd be pissed off with that. You make a decision to join the club - Keano doesnt like the look of you in training & decides to force you out on-loan!

Sunderland arent United, where there's a international prestege of playing for the club, maybe biding your time & doin well on-loan (like Campbell etc) will get you noticed with Fergie, so its worth the hassle. I dont expect Players to regard Sunderland in the same light as United!!

I think he's lost the dressing room, as he's pissed so many of them off. He still thinks he's a player, when he should be thinking like a manager & manage young men into becoming confident happy footballers. I've heard there's been quite a few rumblings up there - not a happy place to camp!!

Ringo 07

A year ago Dunphy said that it was comical that Ronaldo should be mentioned in the same breath as the best players in the world. He has since eaten his words. I think Keano will be a great manager but he might have to go the same route as Steve Bruce did in getting relagated a few times before he becomes a better manager with better teams. I have a felling he will get the boot from Sunderland and might have to take a team such as Nottingham forrest back into the premier league before he gets offered a top job again.

el eric

Dunphy may be a bit of an attention seeker and media whore sometimes but he can also be a very good journo when he wants to be. the side we see on RTE football coverage is all hammed cup for the cameras but the man has written some brilliant books, he can be very good on the radio and can also be a decent political commentator when he wants to be. He just uses the RTE punditry for a bit of attention i'm sure

Gazza

Looking at what he actually said, it's actually quite fair. He is a football pundit after all. It would look a bit off if he just praised his mate Keano all the time, like Jamie Redknapp does with JT and Lamps.

Roy Keane was today accused of "losing the plot" and stumbling around "in a fog" as a man "doomed" to failure. By way of making matters worse for analysis came from someone he once appeared close to.

Eamonn Dunphy is rarely backward in coming forward with an opinion and the former Millwall footballer turned Irish broadcaster and writer has essayed a scathing deconstruction of Keane's failings.

Evidently no longer as friendly with his compatriot as when they collaborated on a celebrated and insightful autobiography of the former Manchester United midfielder in 2002, Dunphy had no inhibitions about querying Keane's mental state on Radio Five Live.

"He is rambling about all sorts of things and it's really ridiculous," said Dunphy reflecting on Sunderland's run of six defeats in seven games. "He is in serious danger of getting relegated but I think that Roy Keane is beginning to believe the Roy Keane mythology.

"He is pontificating on everything. He's lost the plot. I have the highest regard for him, he's a remarkable, intelligent, family man, but he's lost the plot big time.

"He hasn't had a settled side and I think he is in a fog at the moment. Everyone gets there at some point in your life, when things get too much for you. You don't know where the levers for control are and he's making some really silly decisions. He paid all that money for Anton Ferdinand and dropped him. Then there is [El Hadji] Diouf on the bench and out of favour."

Dunphy emphasised that this is far from a knee-jerk conclusion. "It has been apparent to me for the last 18 months that Roy Keane isn't going to be a serious manager," he stressed. "Like a lot of great players he doesn't appear cut out for management. It's becoming increasingly apparent. I just don't think he has the qualities."

Keane's ghostwriter feels Sunderland's manager is a particularly poor shopper.

"If you look at the remarkable, staggering number of players he has brought in and out, he has wasted a lot of money," said Dunphy.

"Maybe Roy needed to start, like [Brian] Clough, down in the lower divisions and learn the business of management and all its aspects. I think it takes two or three years to learn how to deal with directors, how to operate in the transfer market and how to set up scouting systems."

Dunphy also suspects that the recent arrival of the Irish American financier Ellis Short as Sunderland's new majority shareholder has altered the boardroom chemistry. "Roy Keane is not a quitter," he said. "But there is a new owner and the goalposts have moved. I think the whole project is doomed."
The football criticisms he makes are all fair enough imo. I don't have much time for Dunphy the pundit normally but I echo a lot of those thoughts.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Didn't Dunphy assist Keane with his autobiography?