Earthquake in Turkiye/Syria - 2 separate quakes in the region within hours of each other

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
  • Hundreds of people are dead and several hundred more injured after a huge earthquake struck south-eastern Turkey, near the Syrian border
  • Statements from officials in Turkey and Syria put the death toll at more than 500, but that is likely to rise
  • Rescuers are racing to save people trapped beneath the rubble after hundreds of buildings collapsed in both countries
  • Turkey declares a state of emergency and urges people not to use mobile phones to allow rescuers to co-ordinate
  • The 7.8 magnitude earthquake struck in the early hours of Monday and dozens of aftershocks have been felt in the hours since
  • Millions of people across Turkey, Syria, Lebanon, Cyprus and Israel felt the earthquake - the epicentre was near the Turkish city of Gaziantep

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/64533954

Last edited:

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Felt it all the way over in Lebanon.
I thought it was a dream at first then I realized the wife was awake too and terrified.
Genuinely got the "nothing you can do" fear in me for those 30 seconds, felt like a lifetime.
I'll leave this here. Posted it in the general CE thread a while ago.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Was just about to make a thread. Surprised no one had made one until now. '

Thousands dead, probably.
Unfortunately, I think this will prove to be right. Mother nature can be so powerful.

MadMike

What horrible, horrible news to wake up to :(

Worried the death toll will rise significantly in the coming days. I hope the rescue services act quickly to save as many as possible from the rubble.

Abizzz

Horrible news, let's hope they can rescue as many of the trapped as possible.

Simbo

Oof, a 2nd quake? Don't think that counts as an aftershock.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
Heartbreaking stuff man.

Over 1200 dead from the first one...shudder to think what it will rise to considering there's been another and they haven't even finished rescue efforts from the first.

Info on 2nd quake

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
  1. A rescue operation is under way across much of southern Turkey and northern Syria following a huge earthquake that has killed more than 1,000 people
  2. The 7.8 magnitude quake struck near Gaziantep in the early hours of Monday while people were asleep
  3. A new 7.5-magnitude tremor hit at around 13:30 local time (10:30 GMT), which officials said was "not an aftershock"
  4. Turkey's President Erdogan said 912 people had been killed in Turkey alone after the first quake, with more than 5,300 wounded
  5. Syrian authorities are reporting more than 370 deaths
  6. Rescuers are racing to save people trapped beneath the rubble after hundreds of buildings collapsed in both countries
  7. World leaders have pledged to send aid after Turkey issued an international appeal for help
  8. Millions of people across Turkey, Syria, Lebanon, Cyprus and Israel felt the earthquake

Revan

Assumptionman
Just read that some US institution gives around 25% chance that the number of deaths could be between 10k-100k, with the more likely scenario being between 1k-10k. Seems very horrible.

led_scholes

I know it's not alot we can do. This is so sad. But please if anyone has any info of any official account we can send money, please share it.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Damn, that's brutal news. Hopefully people can be rescued quickly.

Superden

I know it's not alot we can do. This is so sad. But please if anyone has any info of any official account we can send money, please share it.
have a look at the likes of ummahwelfaretrust, worldcarefoundation.org etc and other muslim charities that have been working on the ground on the syrian border for years, are legitimate, and also have a 100% donation policy, so funds received go on assistance.

led_scholes

have a look at the likes of ummahwelfaretrust, worldcarefoundation.org etc and other muslim charities that have been working on the ground on the syrian border for years, are legitimate, and also have a 100% donation policy, so funds received go on assistance.
Great. Thanks alot for the info!!

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine
Good shout.

I believe DEC (Disaster & Emergency Committee) will probably be fundraising for the region too.

Bole Top

the worst thing is, the last similar earthquake in Turkey wasn't even that long ago. almost 19k people died in 1999, and that one was actually weaker and lasted 35 seconds. if casualties are between 1k-10k, that would actually be a good scenario all things considered.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Terrible terrible news, RIP the passed away and praying for the people still under the ruins, hoping for the best.

Supports
Barcelona
Reports saying there's going to be close to 10,000 dead :( :( :(
I pray it doesn't exceed that!

Almost 3000 buildings collapsed! God, I can't bear to think what the residents went/are going through.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Horrible. Saw some of the footage and it’s terrifying. My best friend is Turkish, I hope his family are okay over there.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
The clip on the left is staggering - I've never seen a quake go on for such a long time with that level of intensity. Thoughts are with everyone out there affected by this - Horrific!
I was in my car on an overpass just south of San Francisco when we were hit with a little one in the 5s. I was freaking out as no one was moving in the traffic jam; thankfully it only lasted twenty seconds or so. I couldn't imagine the earth shaking for over a minute & a half.

RedfromIreland

Catastrophic, horrific, terrifying. Unimaginable how In such a short space of time such carnage can happen.
Thoughts and prayers to all those affected and RIP to those who perished.

IRN-BRUno

L'Equipe reporting that Atsu is missing along with Hatayspor sporting director Taner Savut and midfielder Onur Ergün. Yeni Matalyaspor goalkeeper Eyup Türkaslan has passed away.

The Corinthian

Supports
A Free Palestine

L'Equipe reporting that Atsu is missing along with Hatayspor sporting director Taner Savut and midfielder Onur Ergün. Yeni Matalyaspor goalkeeper Eyup Türkaslan has passed away.
So sad man. RIP.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
So sad. RIP.
This is why i dont personally believe in good karma or god. The world can be such a horrible place for absolutely no reason.
RIP.

Simbo

Its mad all these clips of buildings collapsing. All those left standing are going to need to be structurally checked over.