Economically realistic options: DM, CB, RW, CF

Drz

He’s old & coming off a serious career threatening injury. Avoid.
True, if it affects his ability it would be a real shame. But that said if the price is adjusted for that risk, I'd take a chance on him as I feel he is pure class if fit and firing.

FatTails

DM: Tchouameni (Monaco)
RW: Raphinha (Leads). Won’t be cheap but maybe a swap with James plus cash.
CF: We should try to get Aguero IMO
CB: Joachim Andersen (Fulham, on loan from Lyon)

lex talionis

Our squad would be much better off with one £100m player than it would be with four £25m players. We’ve already got a glut of players around that quality band. We need players who are going to make an immediate impact on our first XI rather than give us depth. Depth should always come by displacing current first XI players rather than buying their understudies.
Completely agree.

While I endorse the idea of several clever buys, we’ve proven that we don’t have the scouting nous to pull that off.

Whether one believers that above all we need a CDM or a CB or a RW or a CF, buy proven quality at one of those positions rather than settling for potential at several positions, if it comes down to one or the other.

TheReligion

Abusive
Presumably referring to 2013-14, with Fellaini being the only (significant) signing.
Ahh yeah that will be it. Still. Not sure of the relevance of mentioning that in the context of it being the norm when it was clearly the exception.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Presumably referring to 2013-14, with Fellaini being the only (significant) signing.
Didn’t we just sign Fred and Grant in 2018? So one first team player came in after we came second but still a mile off the pace. It wouldn’t surprise me to see history repeating but mainly because of covid and the owners not wanting to spend ‘their own’ money. I think the owners will probably give Ole and the new structure a decent bit of money and support over the coming years but this summer I think our hands will be tied by the owners due to covid and the Pogba situation will be a big drain on our transfer and contract teams time and resources.

Jezpeza

Getting two of those four is already be considered as an upgrade of our team. Whichever we end up is fine because getting two of those four is better than our last summer where we didn't upgrade or improve our XI.
yeah. Last summer all we signed of note were rotation players at cm, lb and cf, though we did need those, we were left with pretty much the same starting 11 with the same gaping holes at rw, cdm and cb.

theres a big clamour for a striker but to be honest martial and Greenwood both have goals in them if you get them firing and we may have Cavani on for another year too.

id rather see one or two of those holes filled for big money and the pattern of some of the surplus leaving and hope to finish the project next summer than a trolley dash for garbage.

You get what you pay for. the likes of Bailly, Blind, Rojo, Lindeof, Schneiderlin, Darmian and others have more than proved that.

Trying to spread your budget just fills the squad with other second tier players to go with the ones you have. I’d rather have us persist with lindelof and Matic for another season and sign only sancho, or only sign Rice and stick with trying various people in the Rw and CB positions than try to sign loads of crap players for those positions who arent a cut above what we have. We’ll just waste the money and be in the same boat - no one who owns that rw position and tears it up every single week and bloats the wage bill and is impossible to sell

There arent secret world class players out there who are good enough to start for man utd from the off and no one knows about. Its a fallacy created for the dross ‘we have no scouting’ argument,

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
It would be. The least I'd expect is for us to sign a CB partner for Maguire and an OK striker (as in not great).
When you are talking about the least then you should be expecting to sign one of the four instead of being picky unless if we sell Pogba, you could expect to buy two of the four and being picky.

RashyForPM

No chance we buy 4 players who improve the first team, while coming with economically realistic transfer fees and wages. Mason hasn’t got too many goals this season but his overall game has improved and he showed after lockdown what a great goalscorer he can be. Thus, he can occupy one of striker or RW, leaving one of hopefully Haaland or Sancho as the attacking acquisition. Buying the former will probably require £100m and latter £80m, less if Dortmund don’t make the CL.

At the back, Maguire-Lindelof/Bailly is not as big an issue as McFred, or even one of them/Matic next to Pogba. We need someone who can partner Pogba as the defensive-minded midfielder. Ndidi, Rice, Tapia and Berge are all decent options, with the former two obviously the dream signings. Ndidi will be unaffordable considering Leicester don’t have to sell, so I’d go for Rice for £65m if West Ham don’t make the CL. Latter two are the alternatives, probably at £25m each.

A bonus will be to buy a cheap backup RB who can challenge AWB. Mbabu or Aarons would be nice, at £30m.

Most likely though, we’ll buy two players, one in attack and one in defence while making Dalot backup RB at a cost of around £150m, slightly offset by the sales of the likes of Williams, Jones, Matic, Pereira, Lingard, and release of Romero, Mata and Cavani, who seemingly already has a foot in Argentina.

bucky

We already signed two budget versions for RW last summer. With that being said, Buendia would be a good signing for a reasonable fee probably. Don't really see a point in signing more cheap players for RW though. Similarly, I don't see a CB that's better than Lindelof or Bailly and wouldn't cost as much.

croadyman

That looks more like a Newcastle United summer window than a Manchester United one.

We should be able to get Varane & Sancho for about £150m. Then sell Lingard & some other deadwood & look to get Zakaria, who is coming into the last year of his contract.
Reckon maybe £125-£130m but still hard to see us raising the £55m it will take to do it

croadyman

All I'm saying is, prepare to be let down.

Don't forget we've had a season PRE-COVID where we only signed one player.

Last summer we spent a little bit, but we hadn't had the full impact of Covid finances yet.

This club is a money-making business for The Glazers. If they think they can still get Top 4 again next season with the squad we've got, they'll tighten the purse strings.
Brutal but fear this could well be the outcome in the end

croadyman

Completely agree.

While I endorse the idea of several clever buys, we’ve proven that we don’t have the scouting nous to pull that off.

Whether one believers that above all we need a CDM or a CB or a RW or a CF, buy proven quality at one of those positions rather than settling for potential at several positions, if it comes down to one or the other.
Can only see us buying proven quality at either CB (Varane/Kounde) or RW (Sancho)

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
All I'm saying is, prepare to be let down.

Don't forget we've had a season PRE-COVID where we only signed one player.

Last summer we spent a little bit, but we hadn't had the full impact of Covid finances yet.

This club is a money-making business for The Glazers. If they think they can still get Top 4 again next season with the squad we've got, they'll tighten the purse strings.
When? Fellaini in 2013?

sp_107

CDM-- Zakaria / Carmavinga =35-40M range
CD -- Torres/Konate/Ben White = 35-40M range
CF -- Daka/Ings/ = 25M range
RW --- Rafina/Dembele = 30-35M range

More ambitious signings will be Haaland/Sancho/Grealish/Coman/Llorente/Saul/

SAFMUTD

Getting two of those four is already be considered as an upgrade of our team. Whichever we end up is fine because getting two of those four is better than our last summer where we didn't upgrade or improve our XI.
Signing 2 would be awesome really, that would be around a 150M spend. Realistically I expect us to sign Sancho and another mid/low profile player and thats it.

pascell

Seeing names such as Thauvin, Trossard, Ings and Aguero (because of his association with City) is absolutely mental, the first 3 are simply not good enough.

Joachim Anderson, Bissouma/Zakaria and Sancho would be the best summer we could hope for, we've only got £100m to spend.

croadyman

Signing 2 would be awesome really, that would be around a 150M spend. Realistically I expect us to sign Sancho and another mid/low profile player and thats it.
Could live with either Sancho & Pau Torres or Neto & Varane depending on whether we prioritise RW/CB

sp_107

I know its bit controversial choice but would anyone take a punt on Eden Hazard from Real for 20-25M ?

he is a proven EPL player

Mainoldo

CB: Ferro
CDM: Bissouma
RW: Dembele
ST: Benzema

Easy business.

redrobed

CB - Tierney
DM - Bissouma
RW - Raphinha
ST - Ings

Not great but if we really only have 100m to spend across those positions, that’d be the best way to spend it. Probably have 25-30m left over towards January window

RedRob

"I believe. I believe there will be more. T
Didn’t we just sign Fred and Grant in 2018? So one first team player came in after we came second but still a mile off the pace. It wouldn’t surprise me to see history repeating but mainly because of covid and the owners not wanting to spend ‘their own’ money. I think the owners will probably give Ole and the new structure a decent bit of money and support over the coming years but this summer I think our hands will be tied by the owners due to covid and the Pogba situation will be a big drain on our transfer and contract teams time and resources.
Dalot as well for a reported £19 million - which, in the frame of the question (limiting to £100M), is fairly significant.

Ali Dia

Dalot as well for a reported £19 million - which, in the frame of the question (limiting to £100M), is fairly significant.
oh yes of course. It seems to me like these days we are happy to pick up a player for 40/50 million and then a young player or 2 and whoever is knocking around on a free. It’s a bit of a scattergun approach.

croadyman

oh yes of course. It seems to me like these days we are happy to pick up a player for 40/50 million and then a young player or 2 and whoever is knocking around on a free. It’s a bit of a scattergun approach.
Yeah does feel like we still lack a bit of a strategy but maybe the new duo can improve that eventually

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
When you are talking about the least then you should be expecting to sign one of the four instead of being picky unless if we sell Pogba, you could expect to buy two of the four and being picky.
Actually I think the ambition of the club is a tad more than buying one non-top level player in one of obvious positions needed for strengthening. The whole narrative around the club needs to carry on, the fans would be up in arms if there is one underwhelming signing. And the better players would feel alienated too (Pogba, if he stays, and Bruno).

Will be interesting to see if the new structure will have a positive bearing on our recruitment this time around, they have a a couple of months to lay some groundwork, and for all we know, may have already begun that prior to the appointments being made official.

Ali Dia

Yeah does feel like we still lack a bit of a strategy but maybe the new duo can improve that eventually
I have my doubts about this summer but I’m not getting sucked into the transfer slog again this year. We’ve already started distancing ourselves from a deal for Sancho. Absolutely no chance we then go and sign haaland for 150 if we couldn’t get over 100 together last summer for Sancho as the only show in town and with no RW at the club (and Minos poster boy also pretty clearly wanting to leave United this summer if at all possible) We will eventually overpay for the likes of Maguire (who is good) but only after about a year or more of trying to unsettle the player and trying to get the price down... almost the same thing with Bruno by the end of it and we just pay up in the end anyway. hopefully now there is a dedicated team in place we should be working on deals during the season from now on and every second deal doesn’t have to turn into a war of attrition...

the more I think about it Ronaldo and cash with Pogba going the other way is actually a pretty likely deal, especially if Cavani leaves. I don’t think that’s a great deal for us but if Pogba is going to run his deal down we will probably be forced to act. Maybe Rice for Jesse and a fat wedge of cash. They seem like decently obvious moves. That wouldn’t be a bad summer but it’s a total comedown if you have the likes of Haaland, Sancho or possibly Camavinga available. 2 or 3 borderline generational young players are there for the taking if we could finally get our house in order and take advantage.

Last edited:

lex talionis

Can only see us buying proven quality at either CB (Varane/Kounde) or RW (Sancho)
You could be right, but I reach the opposite conclusion: CF and CDM.

Greenwood and Diallo give me enough hope for competence at RW, whereas at CF we’re in serious trouble right now.

Our quartet of CBs is actually pretty decent, but none of Matic, Fred or McTominay fill me with confidence.

Wewinsoon

CB: Milenkovic (30m)
DM: Yves Bissouma (35m)
RW: No one (with that budget, I'd rather just play Greenwood/Diallo there)
ST: Patson Daka (35m)
Would atleast spend 90 m on ST Even taking 2,i agree on skipping rw, but No wingback? And if we spend under 150M it's sad, we should bite now many clubs Are pressured

r0663664

Worships Man City
I think we will buy only 1 quality player which could be striker. If Bailly sign a new deal, I doubt we will buy a CB. We have many options for RW which is Amad, Pellistri, Greenwood and Dan James. Maybe we will sign a young DM or Hannibal will be fast track to XI. I think Ed and Ole will focus on getting young players hoping to develop them to either use them or sell them for a tidy profit. Hopefully, history repeats itself where we had Nevilles, Giggs, Scholes, Butt and Beckham stepping into the XI. I think this is the likely scenario.

JG3001

Our squad would be much better off with one £100m player than it would be with four £25m players. We’ve already got a glut of players around that quality band. We need players who are going to make an immediate impact on our first XI rather than give us depth. Depth should always come by displacing current first XI players rather than buying their understudies.
The problem is we’re the sort of team to spend £100m on a £25m player...

There are great players to be found in the cheap, our scouts are just crap and/or lazy

Lennon

CDM-- Zakaria / Carmavinga =35-40M range
CD -- Torres/Konate/Ben White = 35-40M range
CF -- Daka/Ings/ = 25M range
RW --- Rafina/Dembele = 30-35M range

More ambitious signings will be Haaland/Sancho/Grealish/Coman/Llorente/Saul/
Please, for the sake of god ... Could we stop this wishful "Dembele to United" thinking? I don't want this guy nowhere near the club. Injury prone and lacks clearly professionalism. Why the heck would we want such a player ...

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
No point buying a DM who is too young to play 34 odd league games in a season. So while players like Camavinga are great, it's unlikely we can play them close to every game (even though I know he's played a lot this season) in a league as intensive as PL.

Just buy 2 elite players instead of going for 4 sub par players, and as such I'd love Rice and Sancho (ST would be preferred, but don't see any decent options). Will cost around 140-145m, but I'd expect us to generate 50m odd by selling Jesse, Dalot, AP, Jones and one of Hendo/Dave

Steve Bruce

Please, for the sake of god ... Could we stop this wishful "Dembele to United" thinking? I don't want this guy nowhere near the club. Injury prone and lacks clearly professionalism. Why the heck would we want such a player ...
Injuries is my main issue plus he'll cost a fortune in wages

bsCallout

I'm expecting Kounde or White at CB to come in. Then we'll get a RW or ST.

I think I'd rather a striker. Should have been Jota.