Economically realistic options: DM, CB, RW, CF

Gandalf

One thing to think about is there may be more in the line of swap deals this summer. Nobody has money to spend but we still want to re-make squads and fill areas of perceived weakness. Not too far fetched to imagine a deal whereby we perhaps swap DDG to Juventus who seem particularly keen on using their current squad in deals.

Now realistically in that scenario we know DDG is not exactly a hot commodity right now and we are going to be in a bind if it is clear we are moving forward with Henderson as first choice. Straight swap you are probably looking at DDG for Ramsey, both over 30 on big wages but they may want an upgrade at GK and we could use the Welsh Messi as cover for Bruno, preferable to DDG being an unused sub at least. There is the possibility to get more creative though, DDG plus cash might get you Rabiot or Dybala, both of whom would fit a need and according to the press are likely to be leaving. This strategy would allow the mythical 100m budget to be stretched further and maybe net us more than 1 signing, J Lingz plus cash for Rice, Dalot plus cash for Kounde etc.

The players involved are not so much the point though, I do think player swaps will be more common along with loan deals this summer and so we might benefit from thinking outside of the box.

cyril C

Getting two of those four is already be considered as an upgrade of our team. Whichever we end up is fine because getting two of those four is better than our last summer where we didn't upgrade or improve our XI.
I think you have completely mis-understood the original question. We can afford NONE of the above, let alone 1 or 2.

Assuming we will get 30m plus offloading a few players on wages, and assuming we will have a budget of 120m in the summer, you can only afford 3-4 "who is he" players. Unless someone can find a Gnarby, Davies for <20m, then perhaps enough left over for a big name demanding 60-80m.

Red_toad

CDM - Zakaria 20 million
CD - Milenkovic 15 million
ST - Ings 20 million
RW - Sancho 50 million

Raise 50 million or so selling off a few squad players, bring back Laird to understudy right back and we'd be much improved I'd say.

Zlatattack

Our squad would be much better off with one £100m player than it would be with four £25m players. We’ve already got a glut of players around that quality band. We need players who are going to make an immediate impact on our first XI rather than give us depth. Depth should always come by displacing current first XI players rather than buying their understudies.
/thread.

Don't Kill Bill

First we bring in Sergio Ramos then Eric Bailly he can vamos.

next swap van der Beek for Rabiot then tell Matic he really must go.

Bring in Dybala for our Paul time for martial to take the fall.

With money from those leavers and Lingard, we fund,

Jadon Sancho from Dortmund.

Scriblerus

Realistically….income is down, the owners want their cut, and year in year out the speculation here is wildly overoptimistic. So..DM- the midfield has produced economically acceptable results with McFred as first choice in holding positions. We'll either be spending money on renewing Pogba's contract or on finding a less expensive replacement for him (or possibly on a hypnotist to restore DVB to confidence). No one in unless Pogba goes. CD - Lindelof has played pretty well recently, Tuanzebe is still young and improving and put in one stormer away to PSG so might be given more chances. If Bailly wants out we either promote Mengi, go for a free Ramos, or look at the likes of White for a reasonable fee. RW- we've just bought two young players for this position. We're not going to go for anyone as young as Sancho who will block their path to the first team for years. Probably no purchase here. ST - Greenwood is expected to be the future, so again, we're unlikely to go for another young player for big money. More likely to try for a veteran on the cheap or free, as in recent times. Bale? CR? Aguero? (I'd love Lewandowski if Haaland goes for Bayern, but that's unlikely). Maybe Dybala on a swap, which could go badly because he's previously made it clear he doesn't want to come. Meanwhile, dream on and we'll all be disappointed come next season.

Maticmaker

Put the £100m into Premium Bonds, its guaranteed no rate of return, but there is chance of landing a big prize... sounds as though it would be the perfect strategy for our transfer policy!

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I think you have completely mis-understood the original question. We can afford NONE of the above, let alone 1 or 2.

Assuming we will get 30m plus offloading a few players on wages, and assuming we will have a budget of 120m in the summer, you can only afford 3-4 "who is he" players. Unless someone can find a Gnarby, Davies for <20m, then perhaps enough left over for a big name demanding 60-80m.
The point I was trying to make is quality over quantity. Even if 1 cost 80m can be better than 4 cost 80m.

SAF is the GOAT

Sell Lingard to Westham and add money for Rice - DM

Bring Varane from RM as it his last year on his contract like Pogba(maybe a possible swap ?) - CB

Go on Sancho in a reduced price from last summer -RW

We can balance the books by selling a few players and save some wages - Jesse, Juan, Andreas, Diogo, Phil bloody Jones, Romero

I won't be mad on a summer like this where we're filling a lot of our major holes in our squad and starting lineup.

paulscholes18

CB Alaba & Ramos
DM Phillips
RW Leon Bailey
ST André Silva

Henderson
AWB Ramos Alaba Shaw
VdB Phillips Bruno
Bailey Silva Rashford

Polar

Would love these out/in:

Pogba + 20m = Varane + Ceballos

Lingard (20m) + Pereira (10m) + 45m = Sancho

We also need a striker, but not sure who we can afford.

Wewinsoon

Would love these out/in:

Pogba + 20m = Varane + Ceballos

Lingard (20m) + Pereira (10m) + 45m = Sancho

We also need a striker, but not sure who we can afford.
Throw those 75 m on a striker and add 30 more.

Wewinsoon

CDM - Zakaria 20 million
CD - Milenkovic 15 million
ST - Ings 20 million
RW - Sancho 50 million

Raise 50 million or so selling off a few squad players, bring back Laird to understudy right back and we'd be much improved I'd say.
Why waste more money on another striker Who don't have enough star factor? We need top talent like a young rooney or a 80 m real proven goal machine.

cyril C

The point I was trying to make is quality over quantity. Even if 1 cost 80m can be better than 4 cost 80m.
I am more concern with the quality of our scouts. Diaz, Silva, acquired by City, were not big name and not in the 80m bracket. As of today they may not be Big name neither, but fit right into the City squad. We spent fortune on players that still carried question mark, if it is a necessity to test and trial on every new players, then I would prefer 20m+ players instead of 80m, at least they are cheaper and we can afford a few more option to test and trial.

Marcus

I am more concern with the quality of our scouts. Diaz, Silva, acquired by City, were not big name and not in the 80m bracket. As of today they may not be Big name neither, but fit right into the City squad. We spent fortune on players that still carried question mark, if it is a necessity to test and trial on every new players, then I would prefer 20m+ players instead of 80m, at least they are cheaper and we can afford a few more option to test and trial.
Portugese players just seem to do well in the Premier League, I am not sure why. Is it that the style and pace just makes the transition smooth? Anyway, our scouts should just look there more.

Red_toad

Why waste more money on another striker Who don't have enough star factor? We need top talent like a young rooney or a 80 m real proven goal machine.
I'd suggest you look at how United can afford an 80 million striker and still try to improve the midfield and defence at the same time. There is no young Rooney out there, so expecting the club to sign one is a tad impossible.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
If you are going to talk about 20m+ players then don't use Dias and Silva into that argument. Those players are 50m+ or 60m+ players so what are you on about? Those are still very expensive signings double and triple difference which doesn't meet the criteria of this thread and your post to be economically. Dias is still well known name because he was already Portugese best centre back before joined City and he cost more than 60m in covid year, he could easily reach 80m if there is no covid. End of the day it is still about quality.

Bertie Wooster

A lot of the fees some posters are suggesting we can get the 'cheaper' players for seem very low - especially considering the United tax that usually gets added. They may be the fees we'd like to pay, but won't be the fees the selling clubs will be looking for. And, when you add all the extra fees that come with each transfer, I can't see us being able to get 4 of the 'cheaper' options within our alleged budget.

I also can't see us getting much money in from our unwanted players. We don't usually. We might be able to get £10 million + for Lingard to West Ham. But I'd be surprised if we sold Dalot, Pereira or Jones for much, if anything. I can see the first two going out on loan again - or going very cheap, especially Pereira; and Jones either leaving on a free or, if we can't offload him due to wages, staying as a 'bonus' CB and rarely featuring again.

I'd be amazed if we brought in more than two genuine first team options - even if we go the 'cheaper' route for both. And a maximum of one of the 'big money' players. More likely, none, in terms of the likes of Haaland, Kane, Sancho.

For me, the most hopeful window would be that we manage to bring in two additions that genuinely address problems at either end: a decent striker (or RW), and then decent DM (or CB). And that we manage to find permanent deals for Lingard, Jones and Pereira. And Dalot as well if that's what's deemed best. And manage to bring in slightly more money for our unwanted squad players than we usually do.

In the most likely window, I'm not expecting us to recoup much from the outgoings, and a frustrating window for incomings with endless tales of moves for the likes of Haaland, Kane, Sancho, Varane that never happen. I just hope we do manage to bring in a couple of more affordable alternatives that prove good business.

Last edited:

davidmichael

With it looking extremely likely Dortmund won’t get CL football next season after losing to Frankfurt yesterday and now being 7 points behind with 7 games left and a much harder run in I don’t think Sancho goes for more than £60 million as they’ve had a year of no fans or sales which is how they work, they’ll have massive losses and less money coming in next year so Sancho for £50-£60 million is very realistic.

With Lingard playing so well at West Ham that he’s back in the national team and Moyes being open about wanting to sign him I think we could do a deal with West Ham for Rice, I won’t guesstimate a fee but I don’t think £50 million plus Lingard is unrealistic at all.

It’s looking more and more like we’re going for Milenkovic due to him having a year left on his contract and there was reports this week that we think we can get him for £10-£15 million, I also ready he’s only on £20K a week at Fiorentina so for £15 million and £75K a week he’s very realistic.

Up top is hard to work out as it’s clear we want Haaland but I think he’ll end up at Barca as he’s Laporta’s open number one target and they’re doing all they can to put the finances in place. I think signing Sancho on top of Diallo and Pellestri means Greenwood playing centrally so with Greenwood and Martial already in place I’d personally re-sign Depay on a free who can play centrally or as back up to Rashford on the left.

Move De Gea on as a free to get him off the wage bill as well as Romero, Dalot, Jones, Pereira, Mata, Lingard in part exchange, Chong and Cavani seeing as he’s making noise of wanting to go back to South America and that’s a saving of over £1 million a week in wages so £50-£55 million a year for players we don’t use or need and balances perfectly financially with an outlay of around £130 million outgoing but saving money on the wage bill and recouping a bit in outgoing transfers.

UpWithRivers

DM - Milenkovic -15/20mill
RW - Sancho 80

To solve CM and striker on the cheap firstly keep Pogba. Then I would change formation and play Bruno as a false 9.

De Gea/Henderson
AWB Milenkovic Maguire Shaw
VdB Fred Pogba
Sancho Bruno Rashford

Thats the best I can do considering our budget and players that we can actually get. Anyone else Haaland etc would be awesome but highly unlikely.

Ayrshire Red

Not seen anyone mention Soucek for the DM role yet, could be a very good acquisition with a player plus cash deal involving Lingard.

CB wise, I don’t know much about many if I’m honest. Pau Torres is one that’s been highlighted, especially given being left footed. Varane is a name that’s been flung about, but never been convinced. Kounde is another name, but at 5ft 10, doesn’t fill me with confidence.

RW, Sancho has to be the signing, feel we can get him cheaper than the fees that were touted last year.

CF, signing Sancho is the main deal for me. Can’t see us signing a Haaland or Kane at the moment. Depending on the Cavani situation, you possibly have him and Greenwood with Rashford and Martial occupying the LW position. Would folkbe against a Calvert-Lewin in the squad?

OrcaFat

C
Completely agree.

While I endorse the idea of several clever buys, we’ve proven that we don’t have the scouting nous to pull that off.

Whether one believers that above all we need a CDM or a CB or a RW or a CF, buy proven quality at one of those positions rather than settling for potential at several positions, if it comes down to one or the other.
Clever buys are usually lucky buys. For every Vidic we had several that were rather underwhelming.

I think the club would rather spend big money on a big name to get marketing benefits than buy someone like Danny Ings. There are a lot of players we could afford and would come here but won’t fit the club’s profile, I feel.

Swap deals would mainly be a non starter as well. Can’t see us letting James go and most of our so-called dead wood players are not really that attractive.

I think we’ll spend £100mil on one player. Probably won’t solve our problems but if he walks into the team then it’s a step forward. No more £40mil squad players, please.

youngrell

Took a real interest in Bissouma last night and he impressed me. Goes about his work very neatly and quietly.

Every time Brighton blocked the final pass from us it seemed to be him, and he was very smart in getting away from Bruno quite a few times, which was good going as Bruno presses well.

His first touch etc seems good too, far fewer touches than Fred before realising the ball forward.

Like him.