Ed Woodward 2019 - Until all Arctic ice melts edition

ravi2

I'm still to see a valid argument at how this is not Ed's fault? He has not delivered for Manchester United, how is he still in a job?
As long as he delivers profits to the Glazers he will always have a job at United.
United's primary goal isnt winning titles, it is maximizing shareholders profits.

red thru&thru

As long as he delivers profits to the Glazers he will always have a job at United.
United's primary goal isnt winning titles, it is maximizing shareholders profits.
The Tifo video goes onto show he's not exactly doing great at this either. It was no surprise stock went down after they were announced.

Fosu-Mens

Which is a bad start for any business.

If you manage a factory and your main target is to maximize profit, then you can increase the margins for a couple of years by cutting cost, R/D and maintenance... Then after some years your products are out of date due to little developement, your machines, robots and infrastructure starts to break down and your workers are getting angry due to low pay, loss of benefits etc.

Profits or increased revenue should be the effect of efficent and effective processes delivering quality products that the customers wants, not the cause for how you manage your business.

Abhinav

I am surprised by the lack of action on this thread: only a handful of responses holding him accountable while we 3 or more threads on Ole with 1000s of replies.

Are our fans so short sighted that they can not look past the immediate to really focus ob the root cause? What does Ed Woodward have to do to cement his legacy has a footballing failure? If he is allowed to sack and appoint one more manager without any fans revolt then we truly have lost our way and any hope for a brighter future.

red thru&thru

If you manage a factory and your main target is to maximize profit, then you can increase the margins for a couple of years by cutting cost, R/D and maintenance... Then after some years your products are out of date due to little developement, your machines, robots and infrastructure starts to break down and your workers are getting angry due to low pay, loss of benefits etc.

Profits or increased revenue should be the effect of efficent and effective processes delivering quality products that the customers wants, not the cause for how you manage your business.
This will be a loss on most. People believe in football, you just keep hiring and firing a manager till you get lucky. There's no real plan. Teams like Lfc got lucky with Klopp and that's it!

Fosu-Mens

This will be a loss on most. People believe in football, you just keep hiring and firing a manager till you get lucky. There's no real plan. Teams like Lfc got lucky with Klopp and that's it!
Given that MUFC is a corporation more than footballclub the people running the club should at least have the "know-about" for non-capitalistic management/governance models and theories. Sadly Woodward truly is a JP Morgan man by heart so the only thing he know is loyalty to the shareholders and short term profit.

C'est Moi Cantona

I am surprised by the lack of action on this thread: only a handful of responses holding him accountable while we 3 or more threads on Ole with 1000s of replies.

Are our fans so short sighted that they can not look past the immediate to really focus ob the root cause? What does Ed Woodward have to do to cement his legacy has a footballing failure? If he is allowed to sack and appoint one more manager without any fans revolt then we truly have lost our way and any hope for a brighter future.
Been saying this for ages, it would be wrong for him to have any say in Ole's future, as he should be shown the door long before he is, but he'll no doubt be the main man making the decision, it's sickening.

I was going to make a thread last night, 'Ole or Woodward, who deserves to leave the club first' , but I just thought what's the point, and I think that's what most think about making any sort of effort to drive him out. what's the point.

He'll leave when the Glazers do, it's as pretty clear now.

red thru&thru

Been saying this for ages, it would be wrong for him to have any say in Ole's future, as he should be shown the door long before he is, but he'll no doubt be the main man making the decision, it's sickening.

I was going to make a thread last night, 'Ole or Woodward, who deserves to leave the club first' , but I just thought what's the point, and I think that's what most think about making any sort of effort to drive him out. what's the point.

He'll leave when the Glazers do, it's as pretty clear now.
But to answer your question, Ed should leave first. Go ALL out and get Edwin and let him and his team make the managerial changes.

C'est Moi Cantona

But to answer your question, Ed should leave first. Go ALL out and get Edwin and let him and his team make the managerial changes.
I reckon It'd have been fairly unanimous against Ed, but Ole will undoubtedly leave first.

We have no desire to for Edwin, so it's a pointless even talking about it.

red thru&thru

I reckon It'd have been fairly unanimous against Ed, but Ole will undoubtedly leave first.

We have no desire to for Edwin, so it's a pointless even talking about it.
We have no desire in winning trophies, does that mean we stop talking about it?

As fans, we need to make sure we are heard. If we keep on stop talking, then let's pack up and give up.

This is not in my nature and it is not what I grew up on watching United. We never gave up and we kept going right to the end. Maybe this is where I get my traits from.

Suedesi

Great post, and a good analogy of what's happening at United currently.

C'est Moi Cantona

We have no desire in winning trophies, does that mean we stop talking about it?

As fans, we need to make sure we are heard. If we keep on stop talking, then let's pack up and give up.

This is not in my nature and it is not what I grew up on watching United. We never gave up and we kept going right to the end. Maybe this is where I get my traits from.
Of course not, but the fact there about ten Ole out threads, and one Woodward one tells us no one really is up for it, just blame the manager all over again.

It's telling that the 'board' (Woodward and passively the Glazers), seem willing to back Ole when we are clearly worse than under LvG and Jose, yet they had a CV worthy of been backed in times of strife, but perhaps not the ability to 'toe the line'.

red thru&thru

Of course not, but the fact there about ten Ole out threads, and one Woodward one tells us no one really is up for it, just blame the manager all over again.

It's telling that the 'board' (Woodward and passively the Glazers), seem willing to back Ole when we are clearly worse than under LvG and Jose, yet they had a CV worthy of been backed in times of strife, but perhaps not the ability to 'toe the line'.
You are correct. I'm genuinely amazed at how many are defending the Glazer's and Ed. But if we genuinely believe that the board are to blame and they need to be ousted, I think we need to keep on calling them out.

Someone pointed out to me earlier, the truth fact is a lot of our fans are from a younger generation and no nothing other than a manager (saf) and a ceo (Kenyon & Gill). They think this is how it should stay and is the way it works.

They don't seem to understand the incredible work that Gill and Fergie did under the reigeme of the Glazer's and are now blinded to the fact that they are not the problem, just the managers!

C'est Moi Cantona

You are correct. I'm genuinely amazed at how many are defending the Glazer's and Ed. But if we genuinely believe that the board are to blame and they need to be ousted, I think we need to keep on calling them out.

Someone pointed out to me earlier, the truth fact is a lot of our fans are from a younger generation and no nothing other than a manager (saf) and a ceo (Kenyon & Gill). They think this is how it should stay and is the way it works.

They don't seem to understand the incredible work that Gill and Fergie did under the reigeme of the Glazer's and are now blinded to the fact that they are not the problem, just the managers!
Until Woodward is gone then I am behind Ole, and I have zero belief he is the right manager for us.

We are beyond help just now, so it getting worse without a change of manager might actually be a blessing long term.

clarkydaz

They’ve allocated him £800m to spend over the last 6 years on transfer fees and the highest wage budget in the league.

Do you think they did that while also saying “Oh by the way mate, if you can try and make us hover between mid table and top four then that would be in our best interests as owners of the club. We don’t want it doing too well after all.”
They are happy with their crony and their clique of money men running the football club to a laughing stock. The contracts and wages we burn through is sickening compared to other well run clubs way ahead of us. He wouldnt be anywhere near another football club

red thru&thru

Until Woodward is gone then I am behind Ole, and I have zero belief he is the right manager for us.

We are beyond help just now, so it getting worse without a change of manager might actually be a blessing long term.
I have this belief but I'm truly scared of a relegation battle under Ole. He has shown NOTHING that he can get us out of this. I just want the fans to act quick as possible and get these Fers out of the club. But I truly believe we may need our third interim manager under Ed's reign, to help us survive.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
They are happy with their crony and their clique of money men running the football club to a laughing stock. The contracts and wages we burn through is sickening compared to other well run clubs way ahead of us. He wouldnt be anywhere near another football club
That doesn’t answer my question.

C'est Moi Cantona

I have this belief but I'm truly scared of a relegation battle under Ole. He has shown NOTHING that he can get us out of this. I just want the fans to act quick as possible and get these Fers out of the club. But I truly believe we may need our third interim manager under Ed's reign, to help us survive.
Not sure relegation is realistic, but to finish where we are now would surely be a 'watershed' moment.

I have no interest in a interim manager if we are just going to hire them on the back of an upturn in results, Woodward is incapable, but we need to think long and hard before hiring the next manager, it has to be right.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Id say they find it a nuisance. Their man is clearly failing the football club and if the glazers do nothing about it then so are they
My point is that they held up their side of the bargain. Replace Woodward with any half competent DOF given the same funding and we would have one of the best squads in Europe.

red thru&thru

Not sure relegation is realistic, but to finish where we are now would surely be a 'watershed' moment.

I have no interest in a interim manager if we are just going to hire them on the back of an upturn in results, Woodward is incapable, but we need to think long and hard before hiring the next manager, it has to be right.
Oh I agree with you but we can't let Ed decide on a long term manager. He has shown he is incompetent. We need a proper DoF/Edwin to make such decisions for us.

I watched that documentary on us when we did get relegated. Everyone said we would never go down, we are Manchester United. I see parallels to that season to this! I never EVER imagined us being where we are today. This is football, anything can happen.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Not really. The share price is also very important and if we continue to be shit it will go only in one direction, which the Glazers wont like. So there will be a point where we have to do better on the pitch, it is just not the time I guess

joedirt87

We should have brought in a DoF a long time ago, But that is the Glazers/board's fault for hiring Ed to do this job. He's done what a lot of people would have done with zero experience, rely on the manager. For the most part, he has gone out and bought the majority of targets our managers have asked for. the board needs to move him on from this position and let him focus on the commercial side, and then bring in a director of football. He isn't going to do it himself. would you fire yourself?

red thru&thru

Not really. The share price is also very important and if we continue to be shit it will go only in one direction, which the Glazers wont like. So there will be a point where we have to do better on the pitch, it is just not the time I guess
Share prices are already very low.

ravi2

Ed seems to genuinely think that United can make money regardless of results and I think he is fundamentally wrong.
The problem is whatever happens he wins. When the shares tank and the Glazers sell he will profit from the sale.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
At somepoint the Glazers need to look at their investment and see that one person has over seen the entire downfall of the club from 2013 onwards.

These are business people who quite clearly know that their CEO is incompetent at running their football club. In those circumstances the buck stops with him and he either needs to be removed from the footballing side of the business, or sacked altogether.

Mainoldo

I hope those rumors from the summer about David Gill returning next summer are true. I've said enough about Woodward, I'm bored of talking about the same shit every year. We're just a laughing stock.
New investment new ideas.... Keep Gill away from the club.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Ed seems to genuinely think that United can make money regardless of results and I think he is fundamentally wrong.
The problem is whatever happens he wins. When the shares tank and the Glazers sell he will profit from the sale.
He would be naive to think that as sponsors will never pay the same for a midtable team. And as for the share price, that will be an issue for him for sure, especially when financials are so important. It will cost the Glazers too much money and would not be accepted in the long run

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Share prices are already very low.
Wont go up so the lower it gets, the more he will be under pressure. Maybe not now as the Glazers are unlikely to sell the club but there were rumors that they will place more shares. And that means they lose a lot of money!

shahzy

You're completely right. But see thats the thing. Glazers are leeches and have been from day 1. They will keep sucking it until its dry and when it is, when the foundations are crumbling, thats when they will pack up and sell. They won't sell if the club is in a healthy position. Thats now how leeches work.

ash_86

User summed up the recent article posted in the Athletic. Shocking to say the least

Jonno

https://theathletic.co.uk/1282731/2019/10/11/1282731/

Anybody read this? Getting people up in arms on Reddit.
Yeah, I read it. Very intriguing read.

The club is a shambles in the sense of its priorities. It's an incredible business, and it's an inferior football team. It's only now the whole world is catching on.

One quote specifically p!ssed me off, somebody said to him aren't you worried about the performances on the pitch, to which he said something like "don't worry, the success of the team doesn't affect the commercial success". Wow.