Ed Woodward 2019 - Until all Arctic ice melts edition

clarkydaz

The article says Woodward was once a Liverpool fan. That explains everything :D
That really would wrap the whole thing up nicely. Hand over the club to the glazers on debt, take charge of it then run it into the ground being paid millions a year

RORY65

We should not forget the fact that Moyes was installed on OT before Woodward was made COO and that most of that transfer window - if one wants to play the blame game - is on Moyes, Gill, and Sir Alex. And Moyes himself is not on Woodward. LVG and Mourinho and now Ole is. But not Moyes.
It was announced that Woodward was becoming CEO in February 2013, months before the window started. He's rightly seen as largely responsible for that shit show of a transfer window, actually I think he's always got away with the Moyes appointment when surely he (effectively acting as Moyes' boss) would have at least been liaised before Moyes was given the job.

OT1214

That really would wrap the whole thing up nicely. Hand over the club to the glazers on debt, take charge of it then run it into the ground being paid millions a year
Scousers will have his statue outside Anfield once his tenure with us is over.

UncleBob

It was announced that Woodward was becoming CEO in February 2013, months before the window started. He's rightly seen as largely responsible for that shit show of a transfer window, actually I think he's always got away with the Moyes appointment when surely he (effectively acting as Moyes' boss) would have at least been liaised before Moyes was given the job.
Bizarre claims.

Fluctuation0161

Lets be honest, physical confrontation is for morons. I ran into a knobhead that went to the same school as me, i remember when he broke his wrist at the age of 16 while fighting a lamp post (Alcohol was involved), at the age of 35 he's happily bragging about how he got thrown out, and banned for 6 months from the local pub for alcoholics because he got in a drunken fight. I mean, great, congratulations, 19 years later you're still an absolute clown.
Ha! Yep, best avoided. Doesn't achieve anything.

Woodward does have a very punchable face though. :eek:

Fluctuation0161

Ed took over a club that were champions. Spent £1bn in 6 years. Today we're in 12th, 2 points above relegation. :lol::lol:
Grim isn't it. I wonder what level of input the Glazers do have on footballing matters. Is this just Ed on a massive possessive ego trip? I guess it could have been initially. But now the Glazers are attempting to minimise risk by minimising spending.

RORY65

Bizarre claims.
It's a bizarre claim that the incoming CEO who was already executive vice chairman might at least have some involvement in the appointment of a new manager? I didn't say it was mostly his fault or that he was the main figure I just feel it's always been a bit weird that he's completely absolved of that given he already had such a senior position and it was a feck up that is completely consistent with his contributions since.

C'est Moi Cantona

Well we don’t know, not even what the Caf thinks. So let’s start a thread ‘Ed or Ole for a boot up the Arse!’ - put a vote on it and let everyone have a say. What do you think, @Niall?

If there's any sense then it'll be a landslide result, and good firm kick up the arse for Ed.

But let's face it he'd have left years ago if football performance counted for anything, so it's pointless, he leaves when the Glazers do, and until that happens we'll just continue to lurch from one disaster to the next.

I truly hope we see sponsors leaving in their droves when their contracts are up, season tickets been hard to sell, no CL money, transfer fees going up, etc, that way we might finally be shut of them, and be able to start again.

Rendezvous with Ronaldo

Supports
Hartlepool
We fans don't run the club or make decisions. This whole notion of how dare fans criticise the board is bs. There were many fans who were not fully supportive of Jose getting a contract extension that soon, similarly there were fans who thought the Board should wait till the end of the season before appointing Ole, or at least till top 4 was confirmed. These are just 2 decisions but there have been many decisions they have taken in the last 6 years which were amateurish.
Didn't Molde need a decision on Ole as their season was about to start?

UncleBob

It's a bizarre claim that the incoming CEO who was already executive vice chairman might at least have some involvement in the appointment of a new manager? I didn't say it was mostly his fault or that he was the main figure I just feel it's always been a bit weird that he's completely absolved of that given he already had such a senior position and it was a feck up that is completely consistent with his contributions since.
It's somewhat bizarre that 6 years after we're going to start pretending that Woodward played a big part in selecting Moyes.

In terms of the shambles of a transfer summer, read the interviews with Moyes..From my point of view it's pretty clear that Moyes was insisting on players that were out of reach.

fergiesarmy1

It's somewhat bizarre that 6 years after we're going to start pretending that Woodward played a big part in selecting Moyes.

In terms of the shambles of a transfer summer, read the interviews with Moyes..From my point of view it's pretty clear that Moyes was insisting on players that were out of reach.
We apparently failed to get the first choice managers though so not to bizarre, did he pitch them or was it still gill who was half way out the door?

UncleBob

We apparently failed to get the first choice managers though so not to bizarre, did he pitch them or was it still gill who was half way out the door?
That's usually the consequences of poor planning, Fergie retiring came as a shock to the majority at the club

fergiesarmy1

That's usually the consequences of poor planning, Fergie retiring came as a shock to the majority at the club
He told people early in they year I seem to recall giving them months to sort it out when the transition from gill to knobhead was already under way.

UncleBob

He told people early in they year I seem to recall giving them months to sort it out when the transition from gill to knobhead was already under way.
Months :lol:
The transition wasn't, as far as i recall from his book, already under the way.

RORY65

My original post was taking issue with someone trying to absolve Woodward from blame for the first window and pinning it on Ferguson, Gill and Moyes (I would say that's more of a leap given two of those three retired that summer). If Woodward wasn't significantly to blame for the absolute shitfest that was that summer then what was the urgent business he briefed he was flying back from Australia for? Making the teas for Ferguson and Gill while they did the transfer work?

Who spent £4m than Fellaini's release clause because he left it so late, who kept putting the same bid in for Leighton Baines and who tried to spin it that 3 imposters had turned up at La Liga's headquarters trying to sign Ander Herrera? My only point about the Moyes appointment was not that he would have had a key role but that poster was trying to absolve him from the 2013 window and the Moyes appointment, in my view he and Moyes were both responsible for the mess of the 2013 window and to believe that he had no involvement (even if it was a small one with Moyes clearly being Ferguson's recommendation) in Moyes getting the job seems a bit unrealistic. I never said he played a big part but feel free to think that supposing that the incoming CEO and current executive vice chairman might have some sort of input in the choice of manager is bizarre.

UncleBob

My original post was taking issue with someone trying to absolve Woodward from blame for the first window and pinning it on Ferguson, Gill and Moyes (I would say that's more of a leap given two of those three retired that summer). If Woodward wasn't significantly to blame for the absolute shitfest that was that summer then what was the urgent business he briefed he was flying back from Australia for? Making the teas for Ferguson and Gill while they did the transfer work?

Who spent £4m than Fellaini's release clause because he left it so late, who kept putting the same bid in for Leighton Baines and who tried to spin it that 3 imposters had turned up at La Liga's headquarters trying to sign Ander Herrera? My only point about the Moyes appointment was not that he would have had a key role but that poster was trying to absolve him from the 2013 window and the Moyes appointment, in my view he and Moyes were both responsible for the mess of the 2013 window and to believe that he had no involvement (even if it was a small one with Moyes clearly being Ferguson's recommendation) in Moyes getting the job seems a bit unrealistic. I never said he played a big part but feel free to think that supposing that the incoming CEO and current executive vice chairman might have some sort of input in the choice of manager is bizarre.
I don't see why it's such a leap, given how early clubs generally start planning for the summer it's hardly easy to walk into it with a new manager. Fergie was keen on bringing Thiago to the club, Moyes didn't fancy the deal as he didn't know all that much about him, wanted to scout him. Everything was poorly planned

In terms of the Fellaini release clause, £4mill is feck all, but the reason we didn't sign him early on is fairly simple:

"You can ask my staff - the last thing I wanted was for Marouane Fellaini to be my first signing," Moyes told Radio 5 live. "I knew, coming from my old club, the look was never going to be good.

We spent ages going after players that Moyes wanted, completely unrealistic targets.

Fridge chutney

I used to think Ed Woodward was a good CEO/financial guy. But he's not. He's harming the medium- and long-term financial future of our club. He's shit and needs to go.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Why the feck would Woodward himself decide to invest 50m of Glazers money on Fred? Does anyone really think he sits playing FM at home at nights or watching old Shakhtar games and thinking: thats the guy we should get? Like, really?
Its not like Fred is a PR-dream either, which is usually thrown at "Woodward-signings". Sorry, but this is a conspiracy theory at the best.
What probably happened was that Mourinho did not get his first options and had to settle for his 4-5th. We have done that way too much over the last 6 years.
The story goes that Woodward has a football source, somebody that makes personal recommendations to him, and he considers the players. Fred could quite easily be one of those players. It would explain why Jose never played him, along with Mkhitaryan previously.

Johan07

Of course he was "involved". This idea that just one person is responsible for any decision at the club is bizarre and frankly not a constructive way of arguing. That was why I was being satiric in my first post.
That said: its pretty much a fact that the Glazers/Woodward took Sir Alex advice on who would be his successor. And Gill executed it. Just read one of Sir Alex books.
And at that time who was Woodward to veto it then? The horror if he had, If Sir Alex had refused to be on the Board of Advisors and said that the club had refused his advice.
There needs to be some historical perspective here and not just hate for Woodward turning into plainly stupid allegations.
Dont forget the "Chosen One"-banner either, its not like we as fans were against what happened either. To moan about it in retrospect and argue that Woodward should have acted differently somehow, is completely stupid. Sorry, but it really is.
If you want to play the blame game Woodward has more responsibility for the latter three appointments. But feck me if they have not been done with a major input from our Board of Advisors. They still wield a lot of power at the club.

Johan07

The story goes that Woodward has a football source, somebody that makes personal recommendations to him, and he considers the players. Fred could quite easily be one of those players. It would explain why Jose never played him, along with Mkhitaryan previously.
So Woodward has a Dominic Cummings that controls him now? I am sorry, but what a lot of BS. With all due respect.

red thru&thru

Seriously, what are the positives of Ed's time as CEO? Not calling him out, a genuine question. Maybe revamping the youth set up slightly, but we won't see the fruits of that labour yet, so we'll have to wait on that.

But in 6 years, what are the positive aspects?

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Seriously, what are the positives of Ed's time as CEO? Not calling him out, a genuine question. Maybe revamping the youth set up slightly, but we won't see the fruits of that labour yet, so we'll have to wait on that.

But in 6 years, what are the positive aspects?
I would have thought that him getting the Glazers to spend like drunken sailors for the last 5/6 years is a positive.

red thru&thru

Yeah because we've been 12th for 6 years haven't we? :rolleyes:
But you said spend over 5/6 years, so for that I would have as a minimum expected us to be in the current top 3 positions and not have to be relying on Academy who aren't ready.

But my apologies, I can go through each season of the past 5/6 years and put where we finished in the league? Or I can say, we've been s**t and no where near competing! Up to you?!

NWRed

True but there are hundreds of players that are recommended by a fleet of scouts.
Also different managers have different perspectives and different styles which require certain types of players for particular role.
So even a top manager could have rejected Thiago because he may not fit in his preferred system
Err, Moyes targetted Fabregas, so Thiago would definitely have fitted.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
But you said spend over 5/6 years, so for that I would have as a minimum expected us to be in the current top 3 positions and not have to be relying on Academy who aren't ready.

But my apologies, I can go through each season of the past 5/6 years and put where we finished in the league? Or I can say, we've been s**t and no where near competing! Up to you?!
Or maybe don't ask people for positives if you're just gonna come back with a smart arse reply.

Suedesi

An early story reveals the gap that required bridging. When Everton wanted to sign Tom Cleverley, their manager Roberto Martinez told his board to offer no more than £5.5 million as the midfielder’s contract was up at the end of the season. Woodward confidently turned down the advances, arguing he could get up to £10 million elsewhere. As it turned out, Aston Villa took him on loan, very late on deadline day, United paid the majority of his wages and then Everton signed him for nothing when his contract was up.
Can't make this shit up

Suedesi

I don't see why it's such a leap, given how early clubs generally start planning for the summer it's hardly easy to walk into it with a new manager. Fergie was keen on bringing Thiago to the club, Moyes didn't fancy the deal as he didn't know all that much about him, wanted to scout him. Everything was poorly planned

In terms of the Fellaini release clause, £4mill is feck all, but the reason we didn't sign him early on is fairly simple:

"You can ask my staff - the last thing I wanted was for Marouane Fellaini to be my first signing," Moyes told Radio 5 live. "I knew, coming from my old club, the look was never going to be good.

We spent ages going after players that Moyes wanted, completely unrealistic targets.
I know Bale was set for Real Madrid, but other than him why were players such as Fabregas, Kroos, Thiago so unrealistic? We were the top dogs in England if not the world at the time, these players could have been closed.

DRM

I know Bale was set for Real Madrid, but other than him why were players such as Fabregas, Kroos, Thiago so unrealistic? We were the top dogs in England if not the world at the time, these players could have been closed.
Maybe they did not want to play under an average manage like Moyes?