Ed Woodward 2019 - Until all Arctic ice melts edition

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I would have thought that Woodward would have learned something after being in the job for 6 years and have had a conversation with my mate about it. But it seems that he hasn't learned a lot. His idea when it all goes wrong is that he himself is blameless and to just sack the manager, bring in a new one who may have a completely different style and start over again.

If he had learned something significant he should have learned that his methods are not working and looked at this and brought in someone/people in with more football knowledge than him to help him.

I don't agree with the part that he is any managers dream. If he was we wouldn't be in the sh!te position we are in now. He should have got in a striker to replace Lukaku and someone to replace Herrera.
Does bringing a DoF would resolve all of our issues? @Pexbo wrote an interesting post in one of the threads. If the DoF fails to deliver who will you sack? Manager or him ? And how exactly this DoF is guaranteeing a success?

Managers dream in the sense from a transfer standpoint. He has supported all of the managers financially. How do you know not bringing Lukaku replacement is Ed's problem and not Ole's?what if Ed had communicated the budget to Ole and it was probably Ole's decision to go with it ? He spent everything on defenders and decided to ignore other areas ?

Letting go off Sanchez was also Ole's decision I believe. He was probably a bad influence in dressing room and it was a right decision as well.

NWRed

We are 12th. What more do you want me to say? He has stuck with a formation all season which has not worked whatsoever. We haven't been scoring goals. Players having muscle injuries. Looking unfit.

More than anything, where is the proof he has ever done a rebuild job? He isn't working at league 2 team, he is the manager of the most famous club in the world. With that comes the biggest pressure in the world. The managers before Ole had at least some pedigree and performed better. No coincidence
I want some recognition of the reasons why we're 12th, i.e. injuries and lack of investment in the summer. The the formation he's playing is the correct one as far as I'm concerned, Pogba had been playing well in it before his injury and we've spent 3 seasons talking about how we get the best out him. It is lacking a no 10 and a right winger to work properly not to mention having all our players fit.

As for injuries, it's a problem Mourinho had so quite possibly it's just our players are susceptible to them and his response has been to add Martyn Pert to the staff.

I don't think there are many managers out there that have successfully rebuilt a squad or club the size of United. Maybe Klopp with Liverpool and if you can convince him to join then I'll get behind replacing Ole. Until then I'll stick with the view that Ole has made a good start on a difficult rebuild and sacking him now is idiotic.

Eric's Seagull

Does bringing a DoF would resolve all of our issues? @Pexbo wrote an interesting post in one of the threads. If the DoF fails to deliver who will you sack? Manager or him ? And how exactly this DoF is guaranteeing a success?

Managers dream in the sense from a transfer standpoint. He has supported all of the managers financially. How do you know not bringing Lukaku replacement is Ed's problem and not Ole's?what if Ed had communicated the budget to Ole and it was probably Ole's decision to go with it ? He spent everything on defenders and decided to ignore other areas ?

Letting go off Sanchez was also Ole's decision I believe. He was probably a bad influence in dressing room and it was a right decision as well.
I think if we'd had a DoF in it would have solved a lot of problems. If it is not working and the manager goes at least they will show that there is a continuity in style and then a manager like Ole wouldn't have a Frankenstein squad.

I agree that Woodward has backed manager's financially in the past but that money has not been spent wisely. I don't think that he has backed Ole fully. I don't know that not replacing Lukaku is on Ole not Woodward but I think I read somewhere that Ole said at one point Lukaku will need replacing if he gets sold. The reason why I think it is on Woodward and not Ole, is that I think Ole would have known that with a squad this thin if we had injury problems we would be low in numbers in attack.

I don't think that by giving Ole £65m net spend was backing him fully. I don't think that Ole ignored the other areas. I believe Ole's hand was forced due to lack of funds available. He could see that the defence desperately needed an upgrade and that's why he spent the money there. I think more money should have been made available by Woodward and then we wouldn't have as many holes in the squad as we do now.

Last edited:

red thru&thru

I want some recognition of the reasons why we're 12th, i.e. injuries and lack of investment in the summer. The the formation he's playing is the correct one as far as I'm concerned, Pogba had been playing well in it before his injury and we've spent 3 seasons talking about how we get the best out him. It is lacking a no 10 and a right winger to work properly not to mention having all our players fit.

As for injuries, it's a problem Mourinho had so quite possibly it's just our players are susceptible to them and his response has been to add Martyn Pert to the staff.

I don't think there are many managers out there that have successfully rebuilt a squad or club the size of United. Maybe Klopp with Liverpool and if you can convince him to join then I'll get behind replacing Ole. Until then I'll stick with the view that Ole has made a good start on a difficult rebuild and sacking him now is idiotic.
Recognition? Or do you mean an explanation as why we're 12th? There is no cohesive play in our game. Derived in our creative play. Players are all shot of confidence. These are all the responsibility of the manager. Most of our players are internationals. We SHOULDN'T be 12th.

Stick with someone who has never done the job? Klopp was a proven winner at a big league. Klopp isn't alone. There are other managers out there who can do the job. But Ole isn't the one. NOTHING suggests that he is up for the task.

NWRed

Recognition? Or do you mean an explanation as why we're 12th? There is no cohesive play in our game. Derived in our creative play. Players are all shot of confidence. These are all the responsibility of the manager. Most of our players are internationals. We SHOULDN'T be 12th.

Stick with someone who has never done the job? Klopp was a proven winner at a big league. Klopp isn't alone. There are other managers out there who can do the job. But Ole isn't the one. NOTHING suggests that he is up for the task.
Yes it does, the first 3 months, the 3 summer signings, the change in the recruitment policy for both the academy and first team. First, let's get our first team back fit, then at least give him time to get in a no 10 and right wing and CM that fit his style of play and that want to be here, then judge him.

Honestly, my only problem with what he's doing so far is I think Mata and Lingard's minutes should be going to Gomes and Greenwood/Chong. The results would probably have been the same but long term it would seriously help their development to play first team football. I genuinely believe when Gomes adjusts to the pace and space available in first team football we won't even need a new number 10 signing.

red thru&thru

Yes it does, the first 3 months, the 3 summer signings, the change in the recruitment policy for both the academy and first team. First, let's get our first team back fit, then at least give him time to get in a no 10 and right wing and CM that fit his style of play and that want to be here, then judge him.

Honestly, my only problem with what he's doing so far is I think Mata and Lingard's minutes should be going to Gomes and Greenwood/Chong. The results would probably have been the same but long term it would seriously help their development to play first team football. I genuinely believe when Gomes adjusts to the pace and space available in first team football we won't even need a new number 10 signing.
Guess we just see things differently. But I'm glad we can all (most of us) see that Ed Woodward needs to be gone.

NWRed

Guess we just see things differently. But I'm glad we can all (most of us) see that Ed Woodward needs to be gone.
Definitely, getting rid of Woodward, or at the very least getting a DoF in who is given the power to do the job properly, if essential if we're to get out the of the hole we're in.

snowkarl

Chong and Gomes were absolutely shocking every time they were on the pitch this year. They are nowhere near good enough at the moment and it's pure delusion to think they're somehow first team ready and somehow adequate replacements for Alexis and Lukaku. Honestly.

Greenwood hasn't made any difference either and struggles to make an impact. Should be 3rd choice for both lw and st at best but we're incompetent and didn't replace any forwards so here we are.

Ole is literally the worst manager in the PL but let's stick with him because we won against PSG and some mid table teams 9 months ago oh and yeah ""he"" bought Maguire, AWB and James... As if they're hidden gems or even his own targets - Maguire was Jose's target last year for Christ's sake.

red thru&thru

Definitely, getting rid of Woodward, or at the very least getting a DoF in who is given the power to do the job properly, if essential if we're to get out the of the hole we're in.
Yes, but it has to be someone with experience. Someone who has built up the contacts within the game. Someone with a proven successful record.

NWRed

Chong and Gomes were absolutely shocking every time they were on the pitch this year. They are nowhere near good enough at the moment and it's pure delusion to think they're somehow first team ready and somehow adequate replacements for Alexis and Lukaku. Honestly.

Greenwood hasn't made any difference either and struggles to make an impact. Should be 3rd choice for both lw and st at best but we're incompetent and didn't replace any forwards so here we are.

Ole is literally the worst manager in the PL but let's stick with him because we won against PSG and some mid table teams 9 months ago oh and yeah ""he"" bought Maguire, AWB and James... As if they're hidden gems or even his own targets - Maguire was Jose's target last year for Christ's sake.
OK

NWRed

Yes, but it has to be someone with experience. Someone who has built up the contacts within the game. Someone with a proven successful record.
Why? We've spent 6 years going for experience and track records in both managers and players and we've gone backwards, what we need is talent and vision. I'd say by far the most important criteria is a person focussed on developing a young, dynamic team based on our own academy players. Knowledge of the game is essential, obviously, as is an ability to spot talent but giving the job to a young, ambitous and able person is what we should be doing, not constantly trying chase another clubs success by hiring their backroom staff.

I keep mentioning his name in the DoF thread but Stuart Webber at Norwich is the man we need, but there is no way Woodward will give up control to a proper DoF, so what we'll get is a chairperson of the transfer committee which will change very little.

Suedesi

The Sanchez deal was incredible stupid, but because it was too much money for a player that was over the hill.
The highlighted part of your post is a myth though. Sanchez came on a free (practically) and thus he could negotiate said wage.
To think that other players and agents dont understand what is a basic market function is letting their intelligence down. Aaron Ramsey is making more than Sanchez at Juventus for the same reason and no one is having a go at Juve.
What the Sanchez and Ramsey deals does mean for footballing Europe is that more players are starting to see out they contracts because they see the obvious economic benefits of iit.
This is a function of to much discrepancy between transfer value and players wages, not players at United looking at Sanchez and being jealous.
Its happening all over Europe. Juventus especially is a great example and they are being heralded for how they have approached the transfer market. Its the world we live in now.
How the feck did Sanchez come on a free from Arsenal if we sent Mkhitaryan the other way? He was worth £30m in our books.

Johan07

How the feck did Sanchez come on a free from Arsenal if we sent Mkhitaryan the other way? He was worth £30m in our books.
The Sanchez and Mkhi deal were financially separate deals.
Its another thing that Arsenal might not have let Sanchez go in January if Mkhi had not agreed to go there at the same time.
I also wrote "practically" also because we still paid like 20m for Sanchez to Arsenal even if he did just have five months left on his contract. It was practically a fee for getting him five months early.
He would never have any sell-on value with us on those wages, at his age and with such a long-term contract.
It was one of those deals when you actually can say that the transfer fee was a cost and not an investment.

AneRu

Why? We've spent 6 years going for experience and track records in both managers and players and we've gone backwards, what we need is talent and vision. I'd say by far the most important criteria is a person focussed on developing a young, dynamic team based on our own academy players. Knowledge of the game is essential, obviously, as is an ability to spot talent but giving the job to a young, ambitous and able person is what we should be doing, not constantly trying chase another clubs success by hiring their backroom staff.

I keep mentioning his name in the DoF thread but Stuart Webber at Norwich is the man we need, but there is no way Woodward will give up control to a proper DoF, so what we'll get is a chairperson of the transfer committee which will change very little.
This, plus as a club - I mean the people in and around the club - are so culturally ingrained in the Fergie way so much that it has become the United way and Fergie is a huge proponent of the 'manager is supreme' school of thought. Bringing in an all powerful DOF or someone used to that level of authority to work in the club especially when the manager is already in place will result in tensions so an internal appointment could be our best foot forward for now and in the medium term. I think the person should be humble, methodical and be a good communicator, obviously with a good football brain and talent spotting skills, because I think navigating the politics around Old Trafford to push through a vision is more important than technical skill particularly when dealing with Woodward who has the ears of the Glazers.

Johan07

This, plus as a club - I mean the people in and around the club - are so culturally ingrained in the Fergie way so much that it has become the United way and Fergie is a huge proponent of the 'manager is supreme' school of thought. Bringing in an all powerful DOF or someone used to that level of authority to work in the club especially when the manager is already in place will result in tensions so an internal appointment could be our best foot forward for now and in the medium term. I think the person should be humble, methodical and be a good communicator, obviously with a good football brain and talent spotting skills, because I think navigating the politics around Old Trafford to push through a vision is more important than technical skill particularly when dealing with Woodward who has the ears of the Glazers.
This reflects my opinion as well. Its not that easy just to structurally change how things work at a club, when they have been done a certain way with terrific success over such a long period.
I also think we will see more of a technical director brought in to take the load of Matt Judge when it comes to contract negotiations, etc, and also oversee the scouting. It would not be seen as much of a break of the clubs "traditions" as employing a DoF if one by that means a "boss" over the manager.
I am all for modernising the clubs structure (which is the discussion that should be going on, not if Ed is a cnut or not), but its going to take time.
Also, look at Everton now, their fans are already turning on their "DoF". Its not a position thats so different from a manager other than the title. Its just another person to blame for fickle fans, when the problems probably lie deeper than the actual persons in charge.

fergiesarmy1

43% increase in salaries in the last 3 years apparently under this clown (his own being higher at nearly 60%) He needs firing not moving to the commercial side. All these sponsorship deals he gets credit for aren’t because he’s a silver tongued negotiator it’s mostly off the back of success before he was here.

Johan07

43% increase in salaries in the last 3 years apparently under this clown (his own being higher at nearly 60%) He needs firing not moving to the commercial side. All these sponsorship deals he gets credit for aren’t because he’s a silver tongued negotiator it’s mostly off the back of success before he was here.
OK, lets not rewrite history now. Under Woodwards "rule" as commercial director we more than doubled our commercial revenue from like 2005 to 2010. Then Richard Arnold took over his role when he turned CEO a few years later.
Its most certainly not "off the back of success before he was here". You can hate on Woodward for whats been happening the last couple of years, but he did a damn good job as a commercial director.

fergiesarmy1

OK, lets not rewrite history now. Under Woodwards "rule" as commercial director we more than doubled our commercial revenue from like 2005 to 2010. Then Richard Arnold took over his role when he turned CEO a few years later.
Its most certainly not "off the back of success before he was here". You can hate on Woodward for whats been happening the last couple of years, but he did a damn good job as a commercial director.
The gap is closing with other clubs as well, all he did was monetise everything as a filthy banker.

Johan07

The gap is closing with other clubs as well, all he did was monetise everything as a filthy banker.
Of course its closing now. United was the first club in the PL to monetise their brand value and it was if not maximized early; it was close to it. Other clubs have been following suit and of course they will be catching up, its how a market works. That Woodward and the Glazers saw it first is exactly what they should be commended for, even if you think the last 6 years have been crap
And whats with this "filthy banker" stuff. You think it was a bad thing that we pulled in more money?
And did you say that about David Gill as well, because he has almost the exact same background as Woodward? Or did you just not think things through? I think I know the answer.

Last edited:

Fosu-Mens

Of course its closing now. United was the first club in the PL to monetise their brand value and it was if not maximized early; it was close to it. Other clubs have been following suit and of course they will be catching up, its how a market works. That Woodward and the Glazers saw it first is exactly what they should be commended for, even if you think the last 6 years have been crap
And whats with this "filthy banker" stuff. You think it was a bad thing that we pulled in more money?
And did you say that about David Gill as well, because he has almost the exact same background as Woodward? Or did you just not think things through? I think I know the answer.
United were already head and shoulders above the rest of the league (and world) commercially before the Glazers. It is not like they "invented" this, only that they took it to extreme levels and it could be argued that brand dilution is a term that might suit United over the next years. That being said, given the massive interest on the pre-refinancing loans, this was their best way to solve the money problem, and should, as you state, be commended for.

fergiesarmy1

It’s closing even more because of what a disaster he’s been to this club in nearly every football decision, gill certainly didn’t help the glazers buyout and was against it at first.

The filthy banker was more of a joke as I used to be one and know many people who still are, in fact I spell banker with a W when referring to them so calm down.

red thru&thru

Reading some of the comments above, it is clear Ed is a clown and needs to leave. The guy has literally messed us up. Are these guys who are fans of United, how are you even defending Ed?

It's very clear.

AllezLesDiables

No position is guaranteed success and there are bad DoFs, but failing to hire one guarantees failure.

There’s a reason why every single major professional sports franchise in North America has a DoF equivalent over 120 teams) and 18 out of 20 teams in the top division have DoFs.

Manchester United is the only sports franchise in the world worth more than a billion dollars that doesn’t have a DoF/GM (General Manager)

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
I honestly sat here racking my brains for a good minute before remembering that we had actually drawn 0-0 with AZ Alkmaar recently. I had genuinely forgotten that match even happened.
Too many shite results to keep track off.

Alemar

Chong and Gomes were absolutely shocking every time they were on the pitch this year. They are nowhere near good enough at the moment
This is an overstatement. Absolutely shocking Shall be related to the performances of Lingard, Mata and Matic - those are indeed absolutely shocking (if not worse) every time they play.

Chong didn’t perform either but he played much less. Gomes, on the contrary, was much better than Chong and certainly better than Lingard and Mata.

Thisistheone

Which ever way you dress it up, LvG and Mourinho had more money to spend on transfer fees/wages than any Manager in the history of the club and by quite so distance, how they spent it, and how the players performed isn't on the CEO.

As for the article I wouldn't know, there's only so many Ed is shit and this is why articles it's healthy to read.
Which ever way you dress it up, the very fact we've got threads with 1000's of posts on here, talking about how crap he's been, shows just how crap he's been.

I mean there wouldn't exactly be all this debate if he was smashing it out of the park or even doing a good job.

captain666

Move Ed to an honourary position with no executive power and let the commercial side of our business continue,then appoint a General Manager(Director of Football) to oversee all aspects of the playing side of the Club from top to bottom.The only problem being our Owners/Board would be clueless in such an appointment.

red thru&thru

Move Ed to an honourary position with no executive power and let the commercial side of our business continue,then appoint a General Manager(Director of Football) to oversee all aspects of the playing side of the Club from top to bottom.The only problem being our Owners/Board would be clueless in such an appointment.
Yep. They'd appoint a 'yes man' and not someone with real credibility of having done the job.

dev1l

Won't happen. As LVG said, transfers are ultimately decided by Ed and Judge and Ed won't allow that to change.
I have an idea why he would want things to remain as they are but I can't post it here :)

red thru&thru

Won't happen. As LVG said, transfers are ultimately decided by Ed and Judge and Ed won't allow that to change.
I have an idea why he would want things to remain as they are but I can't post it here :)
Go on, post ahead! ;)

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Which ever way you dress it up, the very fact we've got threads with 1000's of posts on here, talking about how crap he's been, shows just how crap he's been.

I mean there wouldn't exactly be all this debate if he was smashing it out of the park or even doing a good job.
Oh well if there are 1000's and 1000's of posts on here saying he's crap he must be :lol:

Alabaster Codify7

People need to wake up and realise that 'long-term planning' only applies to a portion of our fanbase and Ole.

The Glazers' interpretation of long-term planning extends to the season ticket renewal deadline. Pure and simple. Everything they do throughout the season, every media briefing/leak, every managerial sacking / hiring, is geared towards that one specific deadline - the time to renew season tickets.

If we're plodding along at a rate that sees us 2nd-4th, they won't need to do anything because the fans will see enough in that performance to expect better next season - and renew their season tickets.

When we're struggling, and things don't look good, they'll make a big decision or two just in time to spin promises of improvement the next season - and the fans will renew their tickets.

Once you realise that the Glazers are annually working towards that specific internal deadline, it becomes easy to see what they're doing and what they will always do. Which is why Ole will be fired once we're in a relegation battle - they need to do something to make sure those tickets get renewed. Something to suggest it will get better in 20/21.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
People need to wake up and realise that 'long-term planning' only applies to a portion of our fanbase and Ole.

The Glazers' interpretation of long-term planning extends to the season ticket renewal deadline. Pure and simple. Everything they do throughout the season, every media briefing/leak, every managerial sacking / hiring, is geared towards that one specific deadline - the time to renew season tickets.

If we're plodding along at a rate that sees us 2nd-4th, they won't need to do anything because the fans will see enough in that performance to expect better next season - and renew their season tickets.

When we're struggling, and things don't look good, they'll make a big decision or two just in time to spin promises of improvement the next season - and the fans will renew their tickets.

Once you realise that the Glazers are annually working towards that specific internal deadline, it becomes easy to see what they're doing and what they will always do. Which is why Ole will be fired once we're in a relegation battle - they need to do something to make sure those tickets get renewed. Something to suggest it will get better in 20/21.
Which is pretty much the same as what happens at every other club with a few bob in the bank since Adam was a lad.

SirAF

Ageist
Oh well if there are 1000's and 1000's of posts on here saying he's crap he must be :lol:
He is responsible of overseeing the sporting well-being of Manchester United post sir Alex. I’d say he’s not exactly knocking it out of the park.