Ed Woodward 2019 - Until all Arctic ice melts edition

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Dunno if it was ever confirmed that Maguire, specifically, was vetoed (or however one wants to phrase it) by Ed.

Not that it really matters - Ed's handling of Maureen was ridiculous no matter how you twist it. Give him a contract extension for no good reason whatsoever - and proceed to push his meltdown buttons a couple of months later. Baffling, and as I've said many times, this isn't hindsight - loads of people, ordinary fans, predicted how it would play out.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
so two weeks out... no director of football, no CB, no top-class midfielder and we are supposed to believe that everything in the garden is rosy. any other business and woodward would have be gone

Moriarty

I'm sure its been said before but this whole Maguire bid makes an absolute fool out of Woodward. This time last year, the club were briefing the press about how Mourinho was trying to sign central defenders that weren't any better than the ones already in our squad. A shortlist that included a certain Harry Maguire. How the feck can he be taken seriously, now that he's on the verge of signing off an 80 million outlay on the exact same player?
It does. Back then, it was a power play between Woodward and Mourinho and the spin coming out was as you've described. Many on here could see it for what it was.

Moriarty

Dunno if it was ever confirmed that Maguire, specifically, was vetoed (or however one wants to phrase it) by Ed.

Not that it really matters - Ed's handling of Maureen was ridiculous no matter how you twist it. Give him a contract extension for no good reason whatsoever - and proceed to push his meltdown buttons a couple of months later. Baffling, and as I've said many times, this isn't hindsight - loads of people, ordinary fans, predicted how it would play out.
His handling of LVG wasn't much better and Louis still lets him have it with both barrels when the opportunity arises. Maybe we'll get Mourinho's version of events at some point but he's been very quiet so far.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

He was one of a bunch of CB’s named in a briefing that evidently went out to a bunch of journalists, simultaneously - in response to Mourinho’s griping about being a coach, not a manager - as the transfer window came to a close. The gist of it being that Maguire et al weren’t better than the CB’s we already had.

Not really mentioning this as a defence of Mourinho. More as a reminder that I was one of many on here who thought it was nuts to take decisions like that out of the hands of the manager, in the absence of a DoF. Which is made even more obvious by apparently deciding it was the wrong decision, just 12 months later.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Not really mentioning this as a defence of Mourinho.
No, I get that.

Mou fecked up in his own way and deserves very little sympathy.

But what Ed seemingly did during that run-in, and the following summer, just comes across as monumentally stupid.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Sick of hearing excuses for him now. Anybody that wants to defend him doesn't have the best interests of this club at heart. They're just trying to push their previous opinions that it wasn't Ed's fault etc.

The writing is on the wall anyway, this season shit will hit the fan. This squad won't compete and no matter what people say now, when things take a bad turn this season, which it will at some point, the knives will be out. I think a flame will be lit if Spurs beat us this week, in fact.

romufc

No, I get that.

But what Ed seemingly did during that run-in, and the following summer, just comes across as monumentally stupid.
The problem is Jose and Manutd had completely different ideas on transfers.

Jose wants players in their prime, 28+, if you look at the 2 big targets he wanted, Godin and Perisic. United, which I am in agreement have always bought talent. Lindelof, Baily etc. but Jose has not got the ability to make players better hence he needs ready made players.

Woodward did not want to spend £50m on a Cb and LW which 2 years on are not worth much.

Denis' cuff

His handling of LVG wasn't much better and Louis still lets him have it with both barrels when the opportunity arises. Maybe we'll get Mourinho's version of events at some point but he's been very quiet so far.

Isn’t Mou being paid out the remainder of his contract until he takes up another post? He would’ve signed a confidentiality agreement in his contract and would be in breach of contract if he speaks out. I’m sure we’ll hear more from him as and when he takes another job.

This creep who has enabled the Glazers takeover has also failed to properly back every manager he has engaged.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
No, I get that.

Exactly. And stupidly transparent too. The way he tries to manipulate the opinions of fans (and shareholders?) with these briefings is excruciating. I preferred when it was still possible to give some benefit of the doubt about whether or not the club was in safe hands. All the stupidity has such a high profile under Woodward we can’t even live in blissful ignorance any more.

marktan

I think he realises if we sign someone now, e.g. Maguire, the fans will expect a CM or a RW to fill the gaps there. I think he's stringing us along and a few days before the deadline he'll unveil Maguire or Bruno for £80m to appease the fans that'll be that.

Doesn't hide the fact that our structure is still a shambles.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
The problem is Jose and Manutd had completely different ideas on transfers.

Jose wants players in their prime, 28+, if you look at the 2 big targets he wanted, Godin and Perisic. United, which I am in agreement have always bought talent. Lindelof, Baily etc. but Jose has not got the ability to make players better hence he needs ready made players.

Woodward did not want to spend £50m on a Cb and LW which 2 years on are not worth much.
The thing is that Mou's traits as a manager are well known. He's not known for slowly building something: spend a season assessing, then full on assault on the title. Woodward must've been aware of this - and if he wasn't, it's as damnable as it gets.

So - what do you do as José Mourinho's boss? You either consider him to be within reach of a full on assault on the title, in which case you buy those ageing feckers he desires (if the money's there) - or you fire his arse.

You do not extend his contract and subsequently issue "briefings" which are bound to alienate an already volatile personality.

el3mel

Earlier in the window the talking was Ole wanted 5 players and everything to be done before starting the tour.

Fast forward to now and it's only 2 weeks before starting the season, signed only 2 players and we'll be lucky to get Maguire at best as our 3rd transfer.

That really went well.

AshRK

Earlier in the window the talking was Ole wanted 5 players and everything to be done before starting the tour.

Fast forward to now and it's only 2 weeks before starting the season, signed only 2 players and we'll be lucky to get Maguire at best as our 3rd transfer.

That really went well.
You could already see panic is starting to creep in and I can see Woodward in the next 2 weeks bidding for Pepe, Fernandes, Maguire, Longstaff and either signing no one or just end up paying crazy amount.

VanGaalyTime

I thought we’d stopped with the briefings. They give me the shivers as I hark back to 2013.
These briefings are pretty obvious and disgusting at this point. It's just Woodward trying to cover for the fact he's spent 9 months doing nothing and now has two weey to buy quality players. What were we doing for the rest of the year? We can negotiate these deals anytime. We could have easily finished several deals by end of June. Instead we're waiting until the start of August again. This cannot be allowed to continue.

Denis79

Exactly. And stupidly transparent too. The way he tries to manipulate the opinions of fans (and shareholders?) with these briefings is excruciating. I preferred when it was still possible to give some benefit of the doubt about whether or not the club was in safe hands. All the stupidity has such a high profile under Woodward we can’t even live in blissful ignorance any more.
Some do, some still buy the propaganda that's spewed out from the club occasionally. It is interesting how all parts of the club that have any contact with the fans, social media, mutv etc went in defensive mode after last season, avoiding actual conversations with the fans.

Alabaster Codify7

These briefings are pretty obvious and disgusting at this point. It's just Woodward trying to cover for the fact he's spent 9 months doing nothing and now has two weey to buy quality players. What were we doing for the rest of the year? We can negotiate these deals anytime. We could have easily finished several deals by end of June. Instead we're waiting until the start of August again. This cannot be allowed to continue.

Yeah, this is my feelings also.
The briefings of Woodward being 'focusing hard on transfer in the UK rather than on tour' have come out at the same time as scatter-gun links to a few players. Maguire is probably going to happen, Im confident of that. The rest are not. Longstaff will happen IF we can get him relatively cheap (not a bad thing, he isn't worth big money). He's a shot in the dark type 'bonus' transfer.

We'll go into the season with a Championship winger, a quality RB and a quality-ish CB. Nothing more. The rest is Woodward throwing a last minute bit of propaganda to try and paint himself in a good light.

A clear-out / revamp was never the plan this summer. It was bollocks.

Crustanoid

He’s getting away with it again. Each fecked up window pushes us further back and makes us weaker, and crucially, his continued ineptitude is making the eventual job of hauling the club back to the top even harder.

His transfer and contacts work is an absolute farce. His choices have turned us into a mediocre has-been club fighting for 6th place.

Moriarty

Isn’t Mou being paid out the remainder of his contract until he takes up another post? He would’ve signed a confidentiality agreement in his contract and would be in breach of contract if he speaks out. I’m sure we’ll hear more from him as and when he takes another job.

This creep who has enabled the Glazers takeover has also failed to properly back every manager he has engaged.
I imagine he got a similar deal to LVG who says that he turned down job offers so that United would have to continue paying him. I'm sure Mou will dish the dirt at some point in the future. He won't be able to help himself.

Amir

Part of the issue, I think, is that we didn't have a permanent manager until March. So we couldn't really work early on towards deals.

Other clubs, with a different structure, don't have that problem and probably tend to reach the end of the season far more prepared not only in terms of knowing clearly who they want but also taking steps forward in terms of actually doing the deal. We were always lagging behind.

Kag

I might have missed it... What did we brief about now?
The staying in England to conclude transfer business line. I’ve had no problem in recent years with regards to transfer business. Neither did anybody else at the time of more or less every transaction. But this line of briefing (and this is how it appears) reminds me a little of 2013.

The season starts in a couple of weeks and we’ve only improved one position in the first team, having been weakened in another (Herrera in midfield). I fear this could blow up in our faces.

Rajma

Woodward can’t work on multiple deals at once as he tries to implement agile methods in football transfers and now he’s running out of time. This guy is really a corporate clown.

Moriarty

Woodward can’t work on multiple deals at once as he tries to implement agile methods in football transfers. This guy is really a corporate clown.
I don't get it. He must have handled multiple deals at J.P. Morgan to get as high as he was. The Glazer takeover at United wasn't an easy thing to do but he made it work. Buying a player must be a piece of piss in comparison so what's the problem?

Denis' cuff

I don't get it. He must have handled multiple deals at J.P. Morgan to get as high as he was. The Glazer takeover at United wasn't an easy thing to do but he made it work. Buying a player must be a piece of piss in comparison so what's the problem?

I’d say they don’t like spending money but then you look at some of the contracts they’ve handed out... and still think they don’t like spending money but appear a bit clueless when it comes to contracts.

dave1956

If last years reports are correct, Woodward consider Maguire's price too high and not an improvement on the players we already had. Fast forward, it is now possible that he will sanction the purchase of Maguire at a price if correct way above what he would have paid last year, whilst we have the same group of centre backs.
If we do obtain Maguire at a price higher than last year, for me it certainly confirms in my mind that Woodward's approach to our transfer policy is not what it should be.

Sterling Archer

I'm sure its been said before but this whole Maguire bid makes an absolute fool out of Woodward. This time last year, the club were briefing the press about how Mourinho was trying to sign central defenders that weren't any better than the ones already in our squad. A shortlist that included a certain Harry Maguire. How the feck can he be taken seriously, now that he's on the verge of signing off an 80 million outlay on the exact same player?
@Keefy18 as Ed's chief Redcafe press secretary, maybe you can fabricate another excuse for him here? Whose fault is it this time - Sir Alex, Gill, Jose, or Ole?

Amir

We've handled multiple deals at United too in recent years. I'm guessing it has something to do with a limited budget which means you have to be careful and also possibly the need to sell players, if only to get rid of their salaries.

Amir

The staying in England to conclude transfer business line. I’ve had no problem in recent years with regards to transfer business. Neither did anybody else at the time of more or less every transaction. But this line of briefing (and this is how it appears) reminds me a little of 2013.

The season starts in a couple of weeks and we’ve only improved one position in the first team, having been weakened in another (Herrera in midfield). I fear this could blow up in our faces.
Yeah, I see what you mean about the PR. In the past we didn't really need to bother, because we had the best PR on the pitch. Nowadays, though...

I have to admit I'm not as worried about the lack of signings. I'd expect very little of us next season even if we get a couple of extra players. For me the issue is seeing a clear style of play and getting better over time. And if Solskjaer is right the his role, he should be able to achieve that.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
What the feck is he waiting for?? This is supposed to be the rebuild. We finished outside the top 4 again. Its the end of July and all we have bought is a right back which we were missing since Gary Nevile retired.
Plus we lost Herrera. fecking disaster again or what?

Denis79

What the feck is he waiting for?? This is supposed to be the rebuild. We finished outside the top 4 again. Its the end of July and all we have bought is a right back which we were missing since Gary Nevile retired.
I believe the same as some previous posters have said that we are on a limited budget and we haven't managed to offload any players for further funds.

dove

There was never going to be any rebuild, our managerial appointment was the first major proof of that. This summer has predictably been a disaster so far. All the deadwood is still at the club (some of them even got new contracts :lol:) while we seriously struggle to sign players. I can bet we will panic buy Maguire for £80m which would be the cherry on the cake to prove yet again how clueless we are. This club is doomed as long as we have this clown Ed running the show.

RedDevilRoshi

The guy just doesn’t have a clue. Worst thing is, nothing will get done about it as I doubt the Glazers really care.

Whenever the media are questioning his running of the club, every single time he comes out with some utter bullshit to try and divert the negative attention away from him. Coming out with claims that we can do things in the transfer market that no other team can do, we will be appointing a director of football etc. So far, he hasn’t turned those words into actions. He always finds a way to divert any negativity towards him elsewhere.

If we don’t make any further new signings that we desperately need and if we have a very poor season like last, the blame should be firmly pointed at this clown. He knew fine well what mess we currently find ourselves in, especially as to how far we’ve fallen behind since Fergie retired. We’ve only signed two players and is it very likely we will bring any further new additions in (CB, midfielders, RW, ST)? Can’t guarantee it or unlikely is the answer.

SER19

Wan Bissaka was signed on 29th June.

No point looking at other clubs, we were the biggest club in the world in need of major upgrading and rebuilding and we've signed wan bissaka and a decent young prospect.