Ed Woodward 2019 - Until all Arctic ice melts edition

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
If Arsenal get Pepe and Coutinho, they've got 4th place already nailed down. We'd need to buy at least two midfielders, Maguire, Dybala and a 30 goal a season striker to get into the top 4. Spurs and Arsenal are showing the importance of having someone who knows what they're doing in charge of transfers. They're following Liverpool and City's lead. Why the feck are we so incapable? Woodward has a lot to answer for now.
:lol:

We will easily finish above Arsenal.

OneUnited24

fecks around all summer, only to pay a world record fee anyway. What an absolutely incompetent twat.
We have no idea how it’s structured yet. Or at least I’ve not seen anything.

the hate for the man here is something unreal. Everyone on here was up in arms when there was a hint in the AWB deal that we may lose the Zaha sell on clause but we didnt and actually got him for less than the asking price.

Gopher Brown

If Arsenal get Pepe and Coutinho, they've got 4th place already nailed down. We'd need to buy at least two midfielders, Maguire, Dybala and a 30 goal a season striker to get into the top 4. Spurs and Arsenal are showing the importance of having someone who knows what they're doing in charge of transfers. They're following Liverpool and City's lead. Why the feck are we so incapable? Woodward has a lot to answer for now.
Arsenal’s defence is worse than ours was at the start of the summer and they’ve done nothing to improve it.

Handré1990

I get that it’s very ‘in’ to be all doom and gloom now, but come on! Arsenal... That is all.

Kearnkoff69

I must have missed the articles linking Arsenal to Coutinho.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon

the hate for the man here is something unreal. Everyone on here was up in arms when there was a hint in the AWB deal that we may lose the Zaha sell on clause but we didnt and actually got him for less than the asking price.
Not really, I’ve defended him as much as anyone on here. If his idea of being an astute negotiator is to take this long only to pay a world record fee for Harry fecking Maguire, I’d he had done it before our pre season tour and given him the chance to gel into the team already. Time and again he shows he can’t buy well, don’t even get me started on our record of sales. He’s an incompetent twat.

el3mel

We paid what Leicester asked for from the start and just wasted the entire summer. From business aspect it's absolutely terrible. We couldn't get the price lower so why the feck we didn't sign him earlier to get him to play in the preseason. We wasted the preseason for nothing. Great signing, glad we got him but it's terrible from Woodward.

As for the hate for him, it's more logical than defending him, seeing how his period as a CEO witnessed the club falling this much on football aspect.

Raw

fecks around all summer, only to pay a world record fee anyway. What an absolutely incompetent twat.
Not to mention we could have got him last summer for cheaper, but he decided to feck over Mourinho.

In the grand scheme of things, Mourinho should have gone. But it's still utter incompetency from Woodward.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
Not to mention we could have got him last summer for cheaper, but he decided to feck over Mourinho.

In the grand scheme of things, Mourinho should have gone. But it's still utter incompetency from Woodward.
He was available for even less last summer. He’s lucky that the Glazers know nothing about football. Otherwise he’d have been replaced with a competent football CEO a long time ago.

OneUnited24

We paid what Leicester asked for from the start and just wasted the entire summer. From business aspect it's absolutely terrible. We couldn't get the price lower so why the feck we didn't sign him earlier to get him to play in the preseason. We wasted the preseason for nothing. Great signing, glad we got him but it's terrible from Woodward.

As for the hate for him, it's more logical than defending him, seeing how his period as a CEO witnessed the club falling this much on football aspect.
It’s a iterative process though. If we went in straight away and paid what they were asking everyone would have been up in arms. You put a opening bid to test the waters then you work to get a deal together. I’m going to bet it was only until we got indication that he wanted to join us that it forced LCFC hand. Up till then it seemed dead in the water.

The hate isn’t logical or it isn’t for me.

Hawks2008

Woody dropping £80m on Maguire cause broke bois could never

Still has no chin though

OneUnited24

Or he had already spent £70m buying CBs for Jose only for him to publicly slate them.

If we’re going to talk about what could have happened why didn’t we pick him up when he was at Hull?

el3mel

It’s a iterative process though. If we went in straight away and paid what they were asking everyone would have been up in arms. You put a opening bid to test the waters then you work to get a deal together. I’m going to bet it was only until we got indication that he wanted to join us that it forced LCFC hand. Up till then it seemed dead in the water.

And the end ? We paid what they asked for, every.single.penny, got the player very late in the marker and didn't join the preseason. We also didn't sign any other player during the period we were stalling on Maguire to claim we did that to not have the others robbing us in other transfers, so no, it's a terrible business from financial perspective. Great signing, but terrible negotiation tactics from Ed, which is nothing new.

Eric's Seagull

He knows if he doesn't complete any more signing media and fans will eat him alive and as I said one thing he cares about his own face value. I would be very surprised if he doesn't sign any more player/s even if that means shelling out some crazy money.
Really not a lover of deadline day signings as I believe all business should be sorted at the beginning of the window to give players time to get used to Ole's methods and gel with the team. But from where we are at the moment if it means signing players on transfer deadline day then that would be better than nothing but I wouldn't want Woody complaining about this 'no value in the market' bollux because at the end of the window prices are going to be sky high as clubs will know we are desperate.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Poor guy can't get a break. Majority of the time he delivers what manager wants and yet, he gets on the bad side.

RG 11

To this day, I still can't believe that window.

Valencia was a good/great signing, but we completely botched that window.

It had to have been the Glazers not wanting to spend.
Yeah. We had a monster team and a couple of top signings would've ensured we continued dominating. We were never the same in the CL after that (even though we reached the finals two years later through a favorable draw).

AshRK

Really not a lover of deadline day signings as I believe all business should be sorted at the beginning of the window to give players time to get used to Ole's methods and gel with the team. But from where we are at the moment if it means signing players on transfer deadline day then that would be better than nothing but I wouldn't want Woody complaining about this 'no value in the market' bollux because at the end of the window prices are going to be sky high as clubs will know we are desperate.
As I said. Woodward values his image a lot and here we are, he has signed Maguire. I feel we will sign one more atleast which I think will be Dybala.

Eric's Seagull

This deal should have been concluded long ago feck testing the water. We knew what we thought was the maximum fair price the player was worth, we knew how much they wanted.

Last edited:

OneUnited24

And the end ? We paid what they asked for, every.single.penny, got the player very late in the marker and didn't join the preseason. We also didn't sign any other player during the period we were stalling on Maguire to claim we did that to not have the others robbing us in other transfers, so no, it's a terrible business from financial perspective. Great signing, but terrible negotiation tactics from Ed, which is nothing new.
What the hell? Yes in the end we appear to have met their evaluation but how did our negotiation team know that at the start?

Are you one of those that looks at the lottery numbers after the draw and say “oh those numbers were so oblivious”?
Poor guy can't get a break. Majority of the time he delivers what manager wants and yet, he gets on the bad side.
Amazing ain’t it

el3mel

What the hell? Yes in the end we appear to have met their evaluation but how did our negotiation team know that at the start?

Are you one of those that looks at the lottery numbers after the draw and say “oh those numbers were so oblivious”?
:lol: The price wanted by Leicester have been rumored loads of weeks ago to be +80m. We have been negotiating this deal for so long. Claiming we have been negotiating with them the entire time without knowing what they wanted is totally stupid. All journalists have been reported we didn't want to pay the full price till we actually, guess what, did.

So what did we gain from delaying the deal till the very last week of the window ? We were hoping we'll get it a lower price then lost hope and paid it fully while making the player missing the preseason. Stupid tactics.

clarkydaz

:lol: The price wanted by Leicester have been rumored loads of weeks ago to be +80m. We have been negotiating this deal for so long. Claiming we have been negotiating with them the entire time without knowing what they wanted is totally stupid. All journalists have been reported we didn't want to pay the full price till we actually, guess what, did.

So what did we gain from delaying the deal till the very last week of the window ? We were hoping we'll get it a lower price then lost hope and paid it fully while making the player missing the preseason. Stupid tactics.
same with AWB, spent about a month haggling to pay what they wanted anyway

Andersons Dietician

As far as I read this morning the price they were asking for was 95 mil. With most of it upfront.

Would be utterly stupid to not try and give everything you can to get the best deal possible.

I Am Zlatan

We’re in desperate need of quality players at the moment, other teams know this as well, so haggling for too long is a waste of time. Don’t get me wrong, you have to negotiate and bring the price down but wasting so much time useless because unfortunately we’re not in the best shape currently.. if it was city for example, they’re not in need, so other teams genuinely feel like they might walk away..

OneUnited24

You know there’s more to signing a player that just biding and it being accepted or rejected. It’s basically like buying a company. There’s payment structure, addons, transfer of registration that has to be preapproved etc...

Also lcfc did not have to sell so if they are unwilling to negotiate how do you suggest speeding up the process? I also put it to you that until the player requested to leave LCFC were hoping to dig their heels in and keep him.

you haven’t answered my question. How were we to know what the selling price for LCFC was? Do we just go to every club and offer £100m in hopes that it is accepted? The 80m figure only came out after our initial bid was rejected. Ed did what any good business man would. He tried to negotiate a price lower than asking - in hindsight you can say that was stupid as the outcome was the asking price but no one would have known that at the time... that’s why you enter into negotiations

Last edited:

el3mel

You know there’s more to signing a player that just biding and it being accepted or rejected. It’s basically like buying a company. There’s payment structure, addons, transfer of registration that has to be preapproved etc...

Also lcfc did not have to sell so if they are unwilling to negotiate how do you suggest speeding up the process? I also put it to you that until the player requested to leave LCFC were hoping to dig their heels in and keep him.

you haven’t answered my question. How were we to know what the selling price for LCFC was? Do we just go to every club and offer £100m in hopes that it is accepted? The 80m figure only came out after our initial bid was rejected. And I would argue that since then negotiations have been going but it was only until the player requested to leave that things were agreed.
I don't get what you're talking about, again. :lol: The negotiation for Maguire have been going for weeks and their quoted price was rumored several weeks ago. We were persistent on not paying more than 70m when they wanted +80. That has been the story for several weeks, till we finally agreed today to pay what they want. If you'r not following the press, that's really your problem as far as I'm concerned.

el3mel

same with AWB, spent about a month haggling to pay what they wanted anyway
Nothing new as I said. Woodward probably thinks of himself as a great negotiator tactician that can get days way below their value. Should just accept he's shite at it and pay to save us the time.

Toad

Glad our backline is sorted now to some extend though. Move onto depth next transfer window or promote Tuanzebe properly after another loan spell.

Onto the midfield I guess

OneUnited24

I don't get what you're talking about, again. :lol: The negotiation for Maguire have been going for weeks and their quoted price was rumored several weeks ago. We were persistent on not paying more than 70m when they wanted +80. That has been the story for several weeks, till we finally agreed today to pay what they want. If you'r not following the press, that's really your problem as far as I'm concerned.
And I guess if you don’t know how business works that’s your problem. Just some friendly advise if you see a car you like you can negotiate on the listed price. You don’t have to pay it outright, could save you some money :)

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
85m for Maguire isn't something praise worthy, He's just lost yet another negotiation.