Ed Woodward | Groundhog Day Edition

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I don’t know how these guys have viewers. They obviously have a deep love for the club and it does come across. BUT when they interview some absolutely great guests their questions can go on for hours, they’re quite incoherent and just go off on tangents. I worry that they’re both users on here.
they are undoubtedly longstanding hardcore match attending fans (including aways and euro ties), which has enabled them to create relationships with players. All power to them.

but it’s still Staggering how they convinced most of Co92 and several other closely related people to the club onto their ‘channel’, given their rudimentary view on how things work.

roonaldo78

Which begs the question why the feck haven’t they switched it up yet? Aren’t they supposed to be fecking business men?!
We will never get answers to these questions. Who is ultimately accountable for this mess? Why have the same people who have failed still allowed to keep their jobs?

red thru&thru

You clearly don't understand that you trying to do what you're doing kind of proves you don't understand what you're doing.

On paper the Glazers own the "controlling stake" in terms of stock. That what you wanted, pumpkin?

I checked your post history. You've done a lot of 'But but gut the Glazers have spent on us' posts. No more responses to you, I'm afraid.

No offense.
Of course no responses to me petal, your conversation doesn't hold much weight when not backed up.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Dancing with the devil, should we have a shakey start to the PL and CL campaigns, they'll know about it
if nobody of starting quality comes in you can be sure results will drop and the fans will go mad again. You can’t keep playing the same XI over and over and not expect injuries, fatigue and opposing teams figuring out how to stop you. Even amateur football people can see there is a big problem here. The glazers need to get a dof with total control on the football and transfer side and set a generous average annual transfer budget that carries over and just let them get organised. Take Ed and whoever is advising Ed off whatever it is football related they are on. All player sales go back into the squad. If the glazers just delegated to football people they could upgrade so easily and save a lot of money in the long run but it seems they really like being involved in drawn out negotiations....

hungrywing

Of course no responses to me petal, your conversation doesn't hold much weight when not backed up.
No responses because you're out of your depth or a troll/wum.

Anyone can check your post history where you talk about how 'The Glazers have spent their own money', 'the Glazers aren't leeches'. You've also been on the caf a while. So anyone can also guess you've tried this tack on a lot of kind posters trying to explain the situation: AKA a lot of posters have been posting the 'backed up' information for years.

So again, no responses because all the signs point to troll/wum or exceptionally dumb, (the latter of which is also exceptionally unlikely.)

Hanky panky

Why are people getting up in arms. It's so early in the window and we all know how Ed operates anyway - he waits until the last minute and then pays full whack. We won't have news for a few weeks yet!
Season starts weeks before transfer window closes. It would be nice get new players in before season starts, not after that. With Bruno Ed was half a season late. And i scare with Sancho he will miss the whole chance. This smells like summer 2014 all over again. Which is depressing. I just wait the moment when OGS says we would like to sign 1-2 players but let's see what will happen. Or there is no value in market. That usually means nobody will arrive. I guess we will get 0-1 signings this summer. And no big name.

Greck

Indeed, those are the ones.
Think maybe in future the club should shut down those narratives before it gets out of hand. These days every rumour is called a briefing. Should be the job of the PR guy they hired. Dortmund's execs by contrast have shut down every narrative they don't like regarding the fee. Yeah if a deal is done we're definitely going to have our trousers pulled deep

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Season starts weeks before transfer window closes. It would be nice get new players in before season starts, not after that. With Bruno Ed was half a season late. And i scare with Sancho he will miss the whole chance. This smells like summer 2014 all over again. Which is depressing. I just wait the moment when OGS says we would like to sign 1-2 players but let's see what will happen. Or there is no value in market. That usually means nobody will arrive. I guess we will get 0-1 signings this summer. And no big name.
What was wrong with summer 2014?? Di Maria, Herrera, Shaw, Blind, Falcao? Di Maria and Falcao were later in the window but the window itself was good for our needs at the time, irrespective of how it turned out after. 2013 is what I think you mean, where we only signed Fellaini in the summer and that on deadline day.

432JuanMata

What was wrong with summer 2014?? Di Maria, Herrera, Shaw, Blind, Falcao? Di Maria and Falcao were later in the window but the window itself was good for our needs at the time, irrespective of how it turned out after. 2013 is what I think you mean, where we only signed Fellaini in the summer and that on deadline day.
Yeah to be fair 2014 on paper was our most exciting summer window in years.

Fluctuation0161

But the question still exists, if the Glazers are such leeches, why spend the money they did post saf? Also, why not sell to the Saudis?
To maintain the value of their £4bn investment they need top 4 and invest in transfers to achieve that. They don't need to win the league. Minimal investment for maximum return.

Fluctuation0161

Not their debt. The club's debt. It should be their debt. But it isn't thanks to Woodward.
I know that.

But as you say, having to explain everything in full detail every year is tedious and time consuming. By now all United fans should know what the Glazers are. Unfortunately not all do their research.

Woodward is fecked if he doesn’t bring in at least 2 quality players.

The fans won’t turn on a club legend like Ole like we did with Jose, it just won’t happen. It’ll be Woodward and the Glazers who will feel the force.

hungrywing

I know that.

But as you say, having to explain everything in full detail every year is tedious and time consuming. By now all United fans should know what the Glazers are. Unfortunately not all do their research.
Yeah I could actually kind of tell you did. Which is why I kept it brief. And like you say, the bolded part. Thanks for being gracious about it.

romufc

Woodward is fecked if he doesn’t bring in at least 2 quality players.

The fans won’t turn on a club legend like Ole like we did with Jose, it just won’t happen. It’ll be Woodward and the Glazers who will feel the force.
I really hope that we direct our frustration to the club and the hierarchy over Ole. Whatever the fans think about Ole, we need to put that aside because there is evidence that given the backing he can improve this team.

Maguire and AWB - Starters and improved defence
Bruno - Starter (potential captain) and improved our attack.

There is clear evidence that he needs to be backed, if he is not we are regressing because every other team is strengthening.

We need to channel all our energy and frustration towards the board. Results don't go our way, Ole will be the man to go.

There has been 7 years of evidence that it is NOT the managers fault this. You cannot keep hiring and firing without changing the root of the problem.

red thru&thru

No responses because you're out of your depth or a troll/wum.

Anyone can check your post history where you talk about how 'The Glazers have spent their own money', 'the Glazers aren't leeches'. You've also been on the caf a while. So anyone can also guess you've tried this tack on a lot of kind posters trying to explain the situation: AKA a lot of posters have been posting the 'backed up' information for years.

So again, no responses because all the signs point to troll/wum or exceptionally dumb, (the latter of which is also exceptionally unlikely.)
Out of my depth how? Because I give factual figures and don't put my opinions across as facts?

So when a person owns something, it's not his? Please explain about them not spending their money? Glazers own the club and the money that is made from it, is their's. Not rocket science is it?!

red thru&thru

To maintain the value of their £4bn investment they need top 4 and invest in transfers to achieve that. They don't need to win the league. Minimal investment for maximum return.
I agree, they don't need to win the league to earn a profit. But it's the narrative of they suck out ALL of the money from the club and spend nothing is incorrect. If people are going to stand up to the Glazers, they should. But don't use incorrect figures or accusations, as it falls flat.

Now if people concentrated on the lack of success on the field and the appalling decisions, I'm all for it. Heck, I have called them out.

Ed is out of his depth on the footballing side of things. But he's a Glazer employee. So the ultimate buck stops with them. They need to hire the correct people for the correct jobs.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Some of the hysteria has me in bits laughing, I am loving the twitter responses to the official account. Some fans need to take a step away from football for the few weeks.

Matriac

Aren't Ferguson and Gill members on that board?
They are, but it's more for show and advice.

Ultimately the Board's employers are the shareholders. If the Board does something the controlling shareholders disagree with deeply then the shareholders (Glazers) will demand an extraordinary general assembly with the intention of selecting new board members.
But unlikely to happen anyway since the Glazers already have the voting power on the board even if Fergie/Gill voted against them.

AneRu

if nobody of starting quality comes in you can be sure results will drop and the fans will go mad again. You can’t keep playing the same XI over and over and not expect injuries, fatigue and opposing teams figuring out how to stop you. Even amateur football people can see there is a big problem here. The glazers need to get a dof with total control on the football and transfer side and set a generous average annual transfer budget that carries over and just let them get organised. Take Ed and whoever is advising Ed off whatever it is football related they are on. All player sales go back into the squad. If the glazers just delegated to football people they could upgrade so easily and save a lot of money in the long run but it seems they really like being involved in drawn out negotiations....
This is the biggest issue and what they don't realize is that not having a DOF in charge has resulted in us paying over the odds for good players and missing out on potentially great players that could drive the team to greatness. For example, we spent 130m on Maguire and AWB but both have flaws that will stop them, and consequently us, from reaching the pinnacle of world football so its very likely that soon Ole or another manager will be demanding a different profile of player for AWB in particular. This thing has gone on and on from 2013 and as a result we are always on the backfoot and each summer is critical to our fortunes and after nearly a billion spent on players then questions have to be asked and reforms instituted.

MrSingh2002

What would it take for this cnut to do the right thing. We've had the proof he's a complete idiot for atleast 4 years now.

What a hopeless situation we're in with him in charge.

tomaldinho1

We also have to remember how much covid will have hurt us - we don't have a Sheikh and we don't have an oligarch - if it's true we're even trying to negotiate for Sancho we should be pretty happy because that will be a colossal transfer. I get that every season people want us to spend and get new exciting players but let's not forget we're probably one of the few PL teams who have been regularly bringing in big names & highly rated young players for multiple windows, we should be able to improve without signing anyone this season just looking at our squad (as sad a scenario as that might be).

MattofManchester

I think part of the reason we take so long lies in something Ole said after the Sevilla game.

We need to see where we need to improve and we 'might' look at bringing someone in.

Most teams have got going already because they've already established where they need to improve over the course of the season and have found players that suited the necessary criteria. These are not spur of the moment decisions.

Why we haven't determined where we should be looking to improve is honestly beyond me.

Hence, in my opinion, is why we take an absolute age to do anything.

MrSingh2002

So what? Steve Bruce was our 6th choice for centre-half, Eric Cantona was 4th choice, .....
SAF was a one off. If there any one manager comparable for being able to consistantly win leagues with at times very average squads?

Gandalf

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/12056223/lvg-i-wanted-neymar-mane-and-kante-at-man-utd

This says it all. LVG wanted Lewandowski, Muller, Kante, Neymar and Ramos.... Woody was able to get 3rd 4th or 5th choices.
Not a fan of Ed or the Glazers but frankly LVG is a huge bullshitter. He always pushes the narrative that he identified this or that world class player before anyone else and everything that goes wrong whether at United or any of his previous stops is someone elses fault. He was backed significantly in the transfer market and the football he produced was dreadful.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
We needed a good summer of transfers, as early as possible. Again, we fail so badly during the transfer season that it will hurt us. Whether it is Sancho or not does not even matter, we're just so clueless again. That is what hinders us to finally make a step forward and is a reason why we have been shit for 7 years (on top of hiring shitty managers)

soralapio

Out of my depth how? Because I give factual figures and don't put my opinions across as facts?

So when a person owns something, it's not his? Please explain about them not spending their money? Glazers own the club and the money that is made from it, is their's. Not rocket science is it?!
Literally nothing you have posted in this thread has been factual, so maybe don't attack others quite so ferociously?

Yes, the Glazers are the majority owners of Manchester United, which is a publically traded company. Those magic words, "publically traded company", bring a lot of baggage with them. Even though the Glazers are the majority owners of the club, they are not the owners in the same was as you own the tea kettle you bought from the shop, because they don't in fact OWN THE CLUB, they just own the majority of the shares in the club, giving them the controlling voice in a distinct legal entity. In a certain conversational sense this is the same as "owning the club", but from a practical perspective it very much is not.

They can't do whatever they want with the club, for instance empty the bank accounts of the club and move to Honolulu, washing their hands of the whole thing. The club's bank accounts are not their bank accounts, and they can't use them like they were. That would be literally illegal, and they would end up in court. There are laws regulating the finances and actions of publically traded corporations and institutions, which means the finances of Manchester United, and the finances of the Glazer family, are entirely separate and distinct entities. This might seem like splitting straws, but it is a very important distinction.

So what is actually going on? The club generates revenue and then uses that revenue to pay taxes, pay employees, sign players etc. This is all done with money generated by Manchester United PLC, the publically traded company that the Glazers are the majority shareowners of. The Glazers could inject cash into their club and allow the club to use that money in a variety of ways, but they are not doing that, and in fact have NEVER put in their own money, starting with the purchase of the club itself. The club was bought in a very complicated deal orchestrated by Ed Woodward the banker that would in an ideal world have been illegal, leading to Manchester United PLC having hundreds of millions of pounds of debt, and after some refinancing and financial wizardry, the Glazer family free and clear.

According to financial analysts the financial structure of Manchester United is built around the concept of generating money FOR the Glazers. They can't just empty the bank accounts, but they CAN pay a special dividend each year to the shareholders (which is practically only the Glazer family) to the tune of £20-30 million a year out of the club's profits. The club then pays off the interest on the billions of pounds of debt it owns, and whatever is left over can be used to sign players etc. This means that while Manchester United are on paper one of the richest clubs in the world, their yearly discretionary spending budget is quite limited.

The whole thing has been designed with a couple of objectives in mind:
1. Get the Glazers a very valuable item in their financial portfolio in the form of a big pile of shares in Manchester United PLC. Should they ever need the money, they can sell off their stocks in the club for hundreds of millions and walk away, leaving the club still saddled with hundreds of millions in debt and no liabilities on their part.
2. Get the Glazers a steady yearly payday in the form of the yearly special dividend paid to all shareholders.

Everything revolves around these two objectives. The Glazers don't put in their own money because they don't want to, or need to. The club can sustain itself to a level where it is profitable enough to keep afloat while producing the yearly payout. Trying to win the Premier League or the Champions League, or rebuilding Carrington, or any of the other things we want to see happen, would require orders of magnitude more spending while not producing that more profit for the Glazers, so they are not happening.

EDIT: adjusted the debt amount to merely "hundreds of millions of pounds".

Last edited:

romufc

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11667/12056223/lvg-i-wanted-neymar-mane-and-kante-at-man-utd

This says it all. LVG wanted Lewandowski, Muller, Kante, Neymar and Ramos.... Woody was able to get 3rd 4th or 5th choices.
Although I critice Ed, LVG cannot say he was not backed when he got him players. He got Di Maria, Memphis, Rojo, Blind, Schneiderlin... Even PSG and Barca cannot get all their top targets.

This isnt football manager where he could potentially get Muller, Ramos, Kante, Neymar... it was never going to happen.

Which of his players actually played well under him anyway? Neither Memphis or Di Maria done anything of note.

red thru&thru

Literally nothing you have posted in this thread has been factual, so maybe don't attack others quite so ferociously?

Yes, the Glazers are the majority owners of Manchester United, which is a publically traded company. Those magic words, "publically traded company", bring a lot of baggage with them. Even though the Glazers are the majority owners of the club, they are not the owners in the same was as you own the tea kettle you bought from the shop, because they don't in fact OWN THE CLUB, they just own the majority of the shares in the club, giving them the controlling voice in a distinct legal entity. In a certain conversational sense this is the same as "owning the club", but from a practical perspective it very much is not.

They can't do whatever they want with the club, for instance empty the bank accounts of the club and move to Honolulu, washing their hands of the whole thing. The club's bank accounts are not their bank accounts, and they can't use them like they were. That would be literally illegal, and they would end up in court. There are laws regulating the finances and actions of publically traded corporations and institutions, which means the finances of Manchester United, and the finances of the Glazer family, are entirely separate and distinct entities. This might seem like splitting straws, but it is a very important distinction.

So what is actually going on? The club generates revenue and then uses that revenue to pay taxes, pay employees, sign players etc. This is all done with money generated by Manchester United PLC, the publically traded company that the Glazers are the majority shareowners of. The Glazers could inject cash into their club and allow the club to use that money in a variety of ways, but they are not doing that, and in fact have NEVER put in their own money, starting with the purchase of the club itself. The club was bought in a very complicated deal orchestrated by Ed Woodward the banker that would in an ideal world have been illegal, leading to Manchester United PLC having hundreds of millions of pounds of debt, and after some refinancing and financial wizardry, the Glazer family free and clear.

According to financial analysts the financial structure of Manchester United is built around the concept of generating money FOR the Glazers. They can't just empty the bank accounts, but they CAN pay a special dividend each year to the shareholders (which is practically only the Glazer family) to the tune of £20-30 million a year out of the club's profits. The club then pays off the interest on the billions of pounds of debt it owns, and whatever is left over can be used to sign players etc. This means that while Manchester United are on paper one of the richest clubs in the world, their yearly discretionary spending budget is quite limited.

The whole thing has been designed with a couple of objectives in mind:
1. Get the Glazers a very valuable item in their financial portfolio in the form of a big pile of shares in Manchester United PLC. Should they ever need the money, they can sell off their stocks in the club for hundreds of millions and walk away, leaving the club still saddled with hundreds of millions in debt and no liabilities on their part.
2. Get the Glazers a steady yearly payday in the form of the yearly special dividend paid to all shareholders.

Everything revolves around these two objectives. The Glazers don't put in their own money because they don't want to, or need to. The club can sustain itself to a level where it is profitable enough to keep afloat while producing the yearly payout. Trying to win the Premier League or the Champions League, or rebuilding Carrington, or any of the other things we want to see happen, would require orders of magnitude more spending while not producing that more profit for the Glazers, so they are not happening.

EDIT: adjusted the debt amount to merely "hundreds of millions of pounds".
The figures I posted are factual. So how about reading what I posted and then comment.

AaronRedDevil

Not sure where to post this. But one of my favourite channels on YouTube posted it a little while ago.

gorky_utd

Not sure where to post this. But one of my favourite channels on YouTube posted it a little while ago.
Just watched the video. I think everyone can agree that the glazers and woodward only want profits. They don't care about anything else.