Ed Woodward | Groundhog Day Edition

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Can you name a better CB and RB that we could get cheaper this summer?

Man United always pay a premium. Personally I’m thrilled we signed Maguire and Wan Bissaka. They have made the first 11 a lot stronger.

If we hadn’t signed Maguire we’d have been fecked this season. With all of the injuries we’ve had, either Matic or McTominay Would have played there for most of the season.
Come on man. There are dozens and dozens defenders and full backs on the market. Paying 130 mil for those two was not a good job.

Beanz

I understand that the sancho transfer is difficult, the amount a bit extortionate, but what about those other positions. We need to reinforce so many positions, with no sign of progress on any other signings. Its so frustrating, especially with less than a month to league resumption.

Foxbatt

We are not going to win either the PL or the CL while Woodward is here. Sack him if we are to win either of them.

arthurka

We are not going to win either the PL or the CL while Woodward is here. Sack him if we are to win either of them.
Sadly his bosses are very content with how he is running this club.. Won't change until the owners are out as well.

laughtersassassin

The club is a joke. Determined to repeat the same cycle every few years it seems. The fallout from this shitshow will be interesting as if the summer is useless we won't go very far next season.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
The club is a joke. Determined to repeat the same cycle every few years it seems. The fallout from this shitshow will be interesting as if the summer is useless we won't go very far next season.
I think it's playing out how they want. They got a manager who hasn't even slightly put pressure on them. They brief once in a while that they're looking for a DoF to appease despairing supporters. Those hooligans over at Ed's place took the sting out of the growing fallout, due to sympathy and moral high horsery. There won't be any fans for a while, so that (however unlikely) boycott of games won't happen. They're in quite the comfortable position. If the squad doesn't break down over the coming season due to being overplayed, and somehow manages another top 4 finish, they'll be happy.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Certainly does feel like Groundhog Day. The thing is, I remember Woodward being lambasted in the Summer of 2014 yet by the end of it he was some kind of hero especially on the Caf.

The problem is I don’t want to see us make some desperate late flurry as we did in 2014. We should go into the Summer knowing exactly who we want and get the deals done very quickly so they can join us in preseason and settle in quickly. We should also know exactly who needs to go and be in discussion with potential suitors realistic about how much we can sell them for. Here we are 4 weeks since the season ended and 3 weeks until it starts and we haven’t bought anyway yet it’s quite obvious we haven’t a clue what we’re doing with negotiations or who we should be buying.

I have absolutely no doubt Woodward is refusing to pay the validation for certain targets and is asking for unrealistic amounts of money for our deadwood. The glazers will be very happy with this strategy. Once again the Summer window is highlighting the problems upstairs at Manchester United. Best we can hope for now is that we manage to get the 3-4 we need before the window shuts but really we need to act fast now!

Womp

idiot
It's all a bit depressing tbf. Just about nothing we can do to change things either

Foxbatt

Sadly his bosses are very content with how he is running this club.. Won't change until the owners are out as well.
I don't know about that. They won plenty before Woodward was appointed. It's not as if they didn't spend any money.

arthurka

I don't know about that. They won plenty before Woodward was appointed. It's not as if they didn't spend any money.
This is a theme that is all too familiar since Fergie retired. Blunder after blunder, bad transfer after bad transfer. Woodward needs to supply the managers with both time and funds for the squad building he did that half the way for Mourinho then he left him out to dry and he will need to fund Ole for more than 100 million to build this squad.

Fergie won that they had nothing to do with that and in a way he also at fault for the Glazers successfully finish the purchase of the club without CL and trophies every season they would've failed getting loans and making payments during the financial crash in 2008.

laughtersassassin

I think it's playing out how they want. They got a manager who hasn't even slightly put pressure on them. They brief once in a while that they're looking for a DoF to appease despairing supporters. Those hooligans over at Ed's place took the sting out of the growing fallout, due to sympathy and moral high horsery. There won't be any fans for a while, so that (however unlikely) boycott of games won't happen. They're in quite the comfortable position. If the squad doesn't break down over the coming season due to being overplayed, and somehow manages another top 4 finish, they'll be happy.
Top 4 will be very very hard next season. No way with our business we can get 3rd when you look at what Chelsea are doing

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
A bit depressing seeing Chelsea seemingly move heaven and earth for Lampard, whilst Ole may well not get anything meaningful at this rate.

SER19

I actually can't believe we're at this again this year.

Litch

Can we wait until the window has closed before making any decisions. Chelsea is doing business but it's like a fat person losing lots of weight, they have it to lose. Chelsea had a season not being able to send so they have in principle 100m plus to spend.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Can we wait until the window has closed before making any decisions. Chelsea is doing business but it's like a fat person losing lots of weight, they have it to lose. Chelsea had a season not being able to send so they have in principle 100m plus to spend.
They had had about 10 stone to lose and we had 5...except they look like they'll lose all of their weight before we've lost a single pound.

Lee565

That may be true but compare the efficiency of Chelsea's rebuild and United's, chelsea will likely come away from just this window with chilwell, Silva, havertz, werner, ziyech and in all likely a new gk.

So 6 new first team players compared to our rebuild over the past 3 windows of making just 3 first team signings and even then bissaka is looking like money poorly spent and makes little sense if the idea is to have a team that can play out from the back like we try do but fail quite a lot at when teams pressure us, then there is Maguire who has been far from convincing.

Woodward is definitely the common denominator in our struggles since fergie left, there never use to be this "man united tax" until this prized moron came in charge, even oil rich clubs dont get fleeced as bad as what like we do with transfer fees and wages on such a consistent basis.

we never use to struggle offloading players and in such high volumes in such a small number of years because he kept signing managers with styles completely different to the previous manager.

We are just so poorly run in pretty much every footballing aspect of the club since he was appointed, hell even our medical staff have to be questioned when you look at how badly our squad pick up injuries and couldn't diagnose an issue lukaku was having with his intestines but was picked up almost straight away when he joined inter. Considering our resources it's hard to think of a worse run club in european football?

Blood Mage

He's just hopelessly out of his depth and has been since he was appointed. He should have been relieved of his duties after that scandalous Sanchez deal but because he's Joel Glazer's boy he won't be going anywhere till the club is sold.

Litch

That may be true but compare the efficiency of Chelsea's rebuild and United's, chelsea will likely come away from just this window with chilwell, Silva, havertz, werner, ziyech and in all likely a new gk.

So 6 new first team players compared to our rebuild over the past 3 windows of making just 3 first team signings and even then bissaka is looking like money poorly spent and makes little sense if the idea is to have a team that can play out from the back like we try do but fail quite a lot at when teams pressure us, then there is Maguire who has been far from convincing.

Woodward is definitely the common denominator in our struggles since fergie left, there never use to be this "man united tax" until this prized moron came in charge, even oil rich clubs dont get fleeced as bad as what like we do with transfer fees and wages on such a consistent basis.

we never use to struggle offloading players and in such high volumes in such a small number of years because he kept signing managers with styles completely different to the previous manager.

We are just so poorly run in pretty much every footballing aspect of the club since he was appointed, hell even our medical staff have to be questioned when you look at how badly our squad pick up injuries and couldn't diagnose an issue lukaku was having with his intestines but was picked up almost straight away when he joined inter. Considering our resources it's hard to think of a worse run club in european football?
Only COVID, Trump, world famine and recession missing off the list. Chelsea rebuild might be cause the absolute feck up in regard to transfers to date. How much did they send on the goalkeeper? Does any of those buys fix their glaring need for at least 2 CB's? How does those signings impact on the young players that got first team football last season. Great run team that 'cheats' and ends up getting a ban!!!!
Can players join for more than one season in unprecedented times in order that Utd fans don't write them off so easily.
So you would sooner be run by oil rich clubs that counties have shocking histories of poor human rights?
Not sure how old you are but your memory is very 'new and selective'. Woodward isn't without blame but the poor recruitment of players is on the managers. Ole gave extensions to Jones et al.
Worst run club in Europe? You need to really think before emotionally vomiting on here....

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I think if Woodward can't deliver the goods this summer, the club really should reconsider his position. We would be nearly a decade into the post SAF and still unable to bridge the gap to become challengers or thereabouts. This summer needed to be a great window and it just doesn't feel like we're making any progress. There's learning from mistakes and there's meandering aimlessly. Hopefully this summer isn't the latter.

Lam

I was neutral to positive on Ed for a long time and felt with time he would come good, but it has been quite bad in my opinion. Failing to get 1/2 deals not done every year is still ok but I think we hardly get 1/2 deals done the way we need.

1. Multiple high publicity failures starting from the time Fergie left

2. Paying significantly more wages than others

3. Failure to do deals without speculation and agents taking us for granted

4. Managers having to face public speculation on their future (probably not entirely his fault but he is in charge of PR and should handle it better)

5. Failure to sell the deadwood- we still have Rojo, Smalling, Jones, etc.

6. Not able to get deals done on time - as a professional, I find it extremely odd that we tend to sign every player so late in the window. It’s not that the clubs are not allowed to discuss deals during the season. Anyone who is in a sales or buying role for any company, forget football, will understand what I’m telling. It’s as if we start negotiating when the window opens.

Contrast this to how Gill and we were always the one arm twisting others to get things done for us. Yes, we paid more, but in most cases we got our way.

Crustanoid

I despise this imbecilic idiot.

His entire purpose is to make money for the leech owners. The success of our football team is almost a hindrance to him achieving that aim.

I would fire him tomorrow

GiddyUp

He really is an embarrassment to the club at this point. Even if he gets our targets in it's too much drama and not healthy on the squad. It's astounding to me that the club is still where we are and he is still in his position. An expert in failure.

Green Arrow

I don't see him doing anything except for making enquiries about players all summer. Then at the end will rush through a signing that nobody wants.

mav_9me

I would have thought Bruno Fernandes deal would have shown them the benefits of getting the man you want, even more so when its an obvious quality talent like Sancho. Forget about how we may still get him next year. How about the opportunity cost of wasting this year without Sancho?

Foxbatt

Actually, if you look at our spending 2005 - 2013 it is quite depressing.
Yes but we still spent and bought world class players and we kept winning.
I feel that eventually even The Glazers are going to get fed up and bring about changes.
They may have thought Jose won't be popular and rightfully so but Ole is different. Ole doesn't need to say anything as the fans would support him over Woodward any day. So no new signings means the entirety responsibility is now on Woodward to deliver. The fans would not blame Ole for not even getting 3rd place or CL spot if Woodward doesn't buy new players.

Fluctuation0161

Yes but we still spent and bought world class players and we kept winning.
I feel that eventually even The Glazers are going to get fed up and bring about changes.
They may have thought Jose won't be popular and rightfully so but Ole is different. Ole doesn't need to say anything as the fans would support him over Woodward any day. So no new signings means the entirety responsibility is now on Woodward to deliver. The fans would not blame Ole for not even getting 3rd place or CL spot if Woodward doesn't buy new players.
We kept winning because of Fergie and in spite of the Glazers.

I agree our choice of player signings were better back then. So Woodward is certainly part of a problem.

But in particular if you look at our lack of spending from 2008 - 2013 it points to why the decline happened so quickly after that.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Like a train wreck you can see coming and we are the passengers.

E-mal

He's really trying to make me hate the way he operates. How is he taking the whole time in the world to complete a deal? What is the hold up?

Bazi

Supports
Bayern Munich
He's really trying to make me hate the way he operates. How is he taking the whole time in the world to complete a deal? What is the hold up?
To be honest I don't understand why he still has his job after the last seven years.

kerano.

Bring back David Gill. Woodward is an absolute clown... How did it come to this? Ronald McDonald is responsible for our transfers.

choccy77

Yes, lets wait until October and when we have lost BIG games, good idea.

choccy77

Clubs like Wolves and Sheff Utd have more ambition than us thesedays.

Arsenal will get better next season and Liverpool, Citeh and Chelsea will be well ahead of us.

sparx99

What would have been good business ? What's a good price to pay for a dramatic increase in how good your defence is
plus they should get better with a season under their belts (assuming Harry doesn’t go to Greek prison)

sparx99

To be honest I don't understand why he still has his job after the last seven years.
I don’t get it either. Even if the Glazers just want to make money. Surely overpaying for players, signing squad players to big wages to ‘protect’ their value, failing to qualify for CL repeatedly costing sponsorship money has cost the Glazers more than the marginal gains he may have achieved on a noodle partner deal.

Kaos

I don’t get it either. Even if the Glazers just want to make money. Surely overpaying for players, signing squad players to big wages to ‘protect’ their value, failing to qualify for CL repeatedly costing sponsorship money has cost the Glazers more than the marginal gains he may have achieved on a noodle partner deal.
Because they're still making money, especially when you remember that these parasites haven't put a single penny of their own towards the club.

Now that we have another season of guaranteed CL revenue, they're hesitant to spend on bolstering our squad. Trophies was never the goal of an ex-banker like Woodward, he just wants to ensure the club are doing the absolute bare minimum to bring in enough revenue to continue lining his paymasters' coffers.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Weird. No rumours around us. Smalling, Sancho, little bit Grealish and that is it. Plus couple of complete bs

Litch

Yes, lets wait until October and when we have lost BIG games, good idea.
Love your positivity and optimism. You do realise even if we sign players, we might still lose games or are you one of those fans that would be getting on Sancho's back when he doesn't score a hat trick in his first 3 games??