Ed Woodward has resigned from Manchester United | 2024: Returns to football

Andersonson

A wild guess, based on the fact that he’s an imbecilic moron who has hampered our entire football operations in the past 8 years. Hope that clears things up for you, Ed.
No need to be rude, you're the one posting nonsense and making it look like a fact. Nobody here likes him, but giving false information is just silly and not necessary.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
From what I've read, Woodward wanted to step down at the end of the season but the Glazers convinced him to stay on until the end of the year which was the original plan. It's looking like Richard Arnold will replace him.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
When is he going to officially step down? And will he still hold a position at the club? His fourth failed managerial appointment there for all to see, and so so so so much money wasted along the way.

Blood Mage

Can this clueless cretin just hurry up and feck off out of the club already for the love of god.

izec

When is he going to officially step down? And will he still hold a position at the club? His fourth failed managerial appointment there for all to see, and so so so so much money wasted along the way.
Never, this guy is hanging like a sword of damocles over our heads.

luke511

Is it still Ed Woodward's decision to sack Solskjaer, or will it be a group call between Woodward, Arnold and Murtough? Could it be Murtough and Fletcher the part time coach fighting Solskjaer's corner?

Ted Lasso

He is one of the root causes for the state of the club. To go from a supposed comprehensive search for a manager to hiring the caretaker before the season had even finished was one of the worst football and business decisions I've seen made. It's not even a case of hindsight giving perspective - Ole should never have been considered for the full time manager position given his CV. No amount of salesmanship should have changed that nor the exciting post-Jose run of results. He should have been brought on as a sporting director to connect the huge gap between the c suite and the pitch. Yet here we are, Ole getting boo'd down the tunnel while the Woodward and the rest of the board are not getting nearly enough of the attention. Things need to change, top down. Immediately.

Reactions: Penna

Tom Van Persie

No relation
It's supposed to be at the end of the year but there's been talk recently that he could stay on until the end of the season.

redmanx

From what I've read, Woodward wanted to step down at the end of the season but the Glazers convinced him to stay on until the end of the year which was the original plan. It's looking like Richard Arnold will replace him.
Todays performance probably embarassed him into going early; Ive no time for the guy but if thats the case I couldnt blame him!

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
The whole lot in management positions should resign IMO. Our scouting and hiring has been pretty bad for years.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Woodward departing makes no difference, since his replacement, Richard Arnold, is even worse. Our horrible owners are the problem

kerrygold

Supports
united
Woodward departing makes no difference, since his replacement, Richard Arnold, is even worse. Our horrible owners are the problem
This. Although he could’ve done it about 7 years ago. But yeah, carbon copy of Ed.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Is it still Ed Woodward's decision to sack Solskjaer, or will it be a group call between Woodward, Arnold and Murtough? Could it be Murtough and Fletcher the part time coach fighting Solskjaer's corner?
I can genuinely see all of them pretending like they don't have anything to do with such decision and just wandering around every day pretending to be busy.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

I hope the press start narrowing in on the owners with the adequate ridicule.

clarkydaz

whats new, he gave Jose a new contract before sacking him. apparantely these guys are good with money, or something. Pray for Ed

Acquire Me

I hope the press start narrowing in on the owners with the adequate ridicule.
At this point it’s only up to our board and owners. I hope we are working hard to bring in something good. That would give some sense to all the silence going on.

TheLord

If I were Ed, I'd sack Ole tonight and leave the club on a high. I don't know if he has enough say in the United board to make such important decisions just weeks before his tenure ends.

He'd otherwise forever be regarded by supporters as one of the worst things to happen to modern-day, post-SAF United. Not that he would care, but nonetheless.

Enigma_87

You know who
At the end of the day Ed showed more dignity resigning than Solsjkaer, who is clinging to his job for his dear life.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
At the end of the day Ed showed more dignity resigning than Solsjkaer, who is clinging to his job fir his dear life.
Honestly this nonsense needs to stop.

It’s up to the club to tell Solskjaer when to leave. Solskjaer is not going to turn down his compensation money and there isn’t a single poster on here that would in his position either.

Enigma_87

You know who
Honestly this nonsense needs to stop.

It’s up to the club to tell Solskjaer when to leave. Solskjaer is not going to turn down his compensation money and there isn’t a single poster on here that would in his position either.
Which is my point. It seems for many that Ole is caring about United to an extend that he is going to walk away and nonsense like that. He's caring first and foremost for his job, compensation money and once in a lifetime chance.

Waynne

At the end of the day Ed showed more dignity resigning than Solsjkaer, who is clinging to his job for his dear life.
Ed is the one who put Solksjaer there in the first place. Ole didn't hire himself.

All roads lead to Ed Woodward. And a last feck you to the fans and the club before he leaves was to extend Ole's contract another 3 years.

clarkydaz

I liked the part where he tried to kidnap the club into the superleague then had his PR machine tell us he knew nothing about it. Absolute diamond of a man

Enigma_87

You know who
He was supposed to be gone in the summer but he's still here. Dignity. :lol:
I liked the part where he tried to kidnap the club into the superleague then had his PR machine tell us he knew nothing about it. Absolute diamond of a man
Like Solskjaer, he's a yes man. My point is there is no difference between those two. They are driven by their own interests.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Mad take. There are no redeeming features in Woodward's tenure. He has done a terrible job throughout and he, along with the Glazer scum, is responsible for all of the shite we've been through, and for fleecing the club. The man is a grade a c unt and incompetent at his job.

Ole is clueless, but he's not some Glazer subhuman.

Enigma_87

You know who
Mad take. There are no redeeming features in Woodward's tenure. He has done a terrible job throughout and he, along with the Glazer scum, is responsible for all of the shite we've been through, and for fleecing the club. The man is a grade a c unt and incompetent at his job.

Ole is clueless, but he's not some Glazer subhuman.
As I said - it was in jest. Ole has been the longest serving manager post Fergie and he's responsible for most of these shite you are talking about - spending half a billion, without something to show for. And that for being the third best paid manager in the league. Coaching staff is nepotism at its best and needs a huge rebuild. Broken all sorts of negative records.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
As I said - it was in jest. Ole has been the longest serving manager post Fergie and he's responsible for most of these shite you are talking about - spending half a billion, without something to show for. And that for being the third best paid manager in the league. Coaching staff is nepotism at its best and needs a huge rebuild. Broken all sorts of negative records.
Ha. Fair enough. Ole has been, on the whole, pretty terrible. If you look at the money spent and how expectations have been lowered embarrassingly. But it's on Woodward and his cohorts spending too much on players, both in fees and wages. All of that could have been avoided at any stage post SAF by entrusting a DoF to oversee footballing matters.

I am just hoping for the popularisation of the narrative that United are a directionless club that desperately needs to entrust footballing people (with pedigree) for footballing matters. Including the next managerial hire.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I don't understand that tweet. Can someone explain?
I think it's dawning on Neville that he's in the minority of one, and that's as close as he's come to acknowledge there's a managerial issue, albeit by focusing on Woodward who, in his view, is in a lose lose situation.

Yesterday though when Neville was called out for his crap about United having gone down the route of world class managers and it not working (like exhaustive empirical evidence) when it was put to him that neither van Gaal nor Mourinho were at their best when hired, Neville responded with "who do you hire". He's stuck in logical no man´s land.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
I think it's dawning on Neville that he's in the minority of one, and that's as close as he's come to acknowledge there's a managerial issue, albeit by focusing on Woodward who, in his view, is in a lose lose situation.

Yesterday though when Neville was called out for his crap about United having gone down the route of world class managers and it not working (like exhaustive empirical evidence) when it was put to him that neither van Gaal nor Mourinho were at their best when hired, Neville responded with "who do you hire". He's stuck in logical no man´s land.
Yeah, I've seen it. Bizarre.

But my question was to the substance of the tweet. So Woodward is leaving soon, and he doesn't want his last act to be sacking Ole. So far, fair enough. The manager's position is of too much importance to be a lame duck executive decision.

But then that's where I'm lost.

As far as I know, the new, incoming sporting executive is not an unknown, or outsider, is he? It's Arnold, no? Woodward's current right hand man? So why wouldn't they be able to coordinate between them?