Ed Woodward has resigned from Manchester United | 2024: Returns to football

Swedish_Plumber

He’s my least favourite person in football. Would rather spend a day with the Liverpool players after winning a trophy than this cnut.

A snivelling yes man to the glazers and has been the perfect implementer at maximising their profit from the club.

Max_United

" I transformed an 800 million dollar company into a 3 billion dollar company."

That would be enough.
Except that he didn’t. Our market capitalisation on New York stock exchange is now less than when he took over as CEO. It was 2.7bn USD at the beginning of summer 2013 and it is 2.5bn USD now.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
"In fact, I go on Instagram and write: 'My next club will be Manchester United'. I was so tired of the negotiations that I didn't think about the fact that Manchester was listed. You're not allowed to make announcements like that if the matter isn't clear. All hell broke loose. Mino wanted to kill me", Zlatan writes in the book according to Aftonbladet.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic says that Ed Woodward, the CEO of United, became up in arms when he saw the post. In the same vein, the Swede was forced to apologize to the club's management.

"'It's only my fault, Mino Raiola has nothing to do with it. I lost my patience, that's all. I felt like I was standing in quicksand, trying to do something to move forward, without thinking about the consequences. If the deal falls through now, then so be it, we'll let it go. I'm the one who did it wrong. I apologize once again'", writes Zlatan according to Aftonbladet, and talks about Woodward's response to the apology:

"'You have ruined a PR plan worth five million pounds.' They had planned a surprise campaign and a presentation with special effects à la Hollywood. And I ruined it all with a social media update."

God I hate him and I love Zlatan for making the little cockwart seethe.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
"In fact, I go on Instagram and write: 'My next club will be Manchester United'. I was so tired of the negotiations that I didn't think about the fact that Manchester was listed. You're not allowed to make announcements like that if the matter isn't clear. All hell broke loose. Mino wanted to kill me", Zlatan writes in the book according to Aftonbladet.

Zlatan Ibrahimovic says that Ed Woodward, the CEO of United, became up in arms when he saw the post. In the same vein, the Swede was forced to apologize to the club's management.

"'It's only my fault, Mino Raiola has nothing to do with it. I lost my patience, that's all. I felt like I was standing in quicksand, trying to do something to move forward, without thinking about the consequences. If the deal falls through now, then so be it, we'll let it go. I'm the one who did it wrong. I apologize once again'", writes Zlatan according to Aftonbladet, and talks about Woodward's response to the apology:

"'You have ruined a PR plan worth five million pounds.' They had planned a surprise campaign and a presentation with special effects à la Hollywood. And I ruined it all with a social media update."

Amazing :lol:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

:lol:

GiddyUp

Five fecking mil just to announce a signing. Sanchez probably got Beyonce money just for playing the piano. This cnut has made a complete mockery of this club.

arthurka

I wish Zlatan had round house kicked him in the face while yelling I am a lion.
He is everything that is wrong with this club. Him and Utd DNA.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
PR plan and Hollywood. Why am I not surprised.
Priorities laid bare
Five fecking mil just to announce a signing. Sanchez probably got Beyonce money just for playing the piano. This cnut has made a complete mockery of this club.
That shit can feck right off
This may come as a surprise to you but all clubs do this with big transfers. Those of you bitching about it, will be the exact same ones demanding why the club isn't spending on the next flavour of the month. Where do you think that money comes from? We don't have a state backing us or owners that have more money than sense, yet we've spent as much as any other club over the past 10 years.

Woodward has failed at many things, you have many sticks to beat him with but to be outraged that he may just try to monetise a big name signing is fecking brain dead levels of stupid.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
This may come as a surprise to you but all clubs do this with big transfers. Those of you bitching about it, will be the exact same ones demanding why the club isn't spending on the next flavour of the month. Where do you think that money comes from? We don't have a state backing us or owners that have more money than sense, yet we've spent as much as any other club over the past 10 years.

Woodward has failed at many things, you have many sticks to beat him with but to be outraged that he may just try to monetise a big name signing is fecking brain dead levels of stupid.
The fact that he planned a PR campaign isn't the issue. The fact that the player knew nothing about it and was left in the dark about whether the whole transfer will happen at all is ridiculous.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
The fact that he planned a PR campaign isn't the issue. The fact that the player knew nothing about it and was left in the dark about whether the whole transfer will happen at all is ridiculous.
Why would player know about it before he signed?

RedTiger

Half mast

No suprise whatsoever

Blood Mage

I won't be fully content and optimistic about our future until this snivelling worm is long gone from the club. The public face of 8 years of failure and mismanagement.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Why would player know about it before he signed?
Ok, he does not need to know about that PR campaign while negotiations are ongoing, but that Zlatan made that post to force the negotiations to finish because he was losing patience with the slow/non-existent progress shows that Woodward was more focused on that PR stuff than on actually getting the negotiations through. Getting the paperwork with Zlatan done and tell him "we'll tell the world about in in two weeks, we want to prepare something special" would have been the right order. Otherwise you risk that the transfer fails and your beautiful PR campaign will never be used.

lawliet354

So we missed Zlatan playing piano with whole orchestra behind him??

hobbers

Why would Zlatan care about a PR campaign worth 5 million? Chump change. He earned that himself in the space of 20 weeks.

Woodward can take his PR industry and shove it. God knows how much we waste on all those cretinous hipsters in the PR department to monitor every players social feeds 24/7.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
He’s very good at the commercial side of stuff, if he stuck to that and left the football decisions to a proper football person he’d actually be a huge asset to the club.
Yes, selling Manchester United is hard work...Seriously, grab a bunch of plain t shirts. Slap a United logo on them and watch them sell out in no time. I have never understood this nonsense that hes good at selling United. Some person said it once, and now its just the go to thing to say because you want to look reasonable. This man has wasted millions in transfers, wages and pr bullshit. Hes shit at his job if his job is not to waste money. If selling united to investors, sponsors and the media is the goal, the outbreak monkey could do that.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Why would Zlatan care about a PR campaign worth 5 million? Chump change. He earned that himself in the space of 20 weeks.

Woodward can take his PR industry and shove it. God knows how much we waste on all those cretinous hipsters in the PR department to monitor every players social feeds 24/7.
The same PR industry that pays for those players to be on the pitch.

Without sponsors, without endorsements, we don't sign players. Not fecking rocket science.

edcunited1878

Woodward wasn't the mastermind behind commercial deals...that was Richard Arnold. By most accounts, Richard is allowing John Murtough and Fletch to run the football side of things, while he (Arnold) oversees the club and the operations of it all.

hobbers

The same PR industry that pays for those players to be on the pitch.

Without sponsors, without endorsements, we don't sign players. Not fecking rocket science.
No, it doesn't. TV money and fans do. Commercial revenue is about 1/3rd of total revenue. Of that a small fraction is probably traceable to social media PR campaigns/influence. Major corporate sponsorship makes up the vast majority.

Of course the PR idiots would tell you that without the club getting x million likes on instagram, Chevorlet and TeamViewer wouldn't be interested in sponsoring us. But obviously they have to say that because it's the only way to justify their own existence.

"Not fecking rocket science".

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

It's about professionalism and not being a dickhead.

There are people earning their salary for doing all this, projects etc and someone blew it up in their face.

Castia

If he would have appointed a DoF like Rangnick years ago he’d probably be a hero now, his years of stubbornness have held this club back.

Absolutely no football knowledge sat in a position at the of the top clubs in world football a multi billion pound club/business? absolute mess.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
No, it doesn't. TV money and fans do. Commercial revenue is about 1/3rd of total revenue. Of that a small fraction is probably traceable to social media PR campaigns/influence. Major corporate sponsorship makes up the vast majority.

Of course the PR idiots would tell you that without the club getting x million likes on instagram, Chevorlet and TeamViewer wouldn't be interested in sponsoring us. But obviously they have to say that because it's the only way to justify their own existence.

"Not fecking rocket science".
Do you understand that all of the above falls under PR? PR is marketing ffs.

Those same sponsors you list will have clauses in the contracts that dictate that specific amount of exposure the club must provide to justify the sponsorship amounts.

If you don’t understand basic concepts of marketing, stop embarrassing yourself.

Ace of Spades

Nothing story, every club does it.

A lot has gone wrong with Woodward, but this is a nothing story.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
The interesting part of the story isn't that Woody had a Hollywood style...whatever planned. As others have said, that's to be expected and a nothing story. No - what's interesting is that he let it get to a point where Zlatan could feck up the thing by posting something on social media: poor communication (or total lack of it) seems to be one of Ed's specialties.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
The said player has a 100 ft tall ego and needs to chill at times.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
What's wrong with it. It's pretty normal and expected with lots of sponsors needing time to prepare etc.
A lot. And it’s not just that, it’s a long list with Disneyland and all the pathetic stuff. All we have had since SAF retired is PR plans, etc. I’d rather we had focused on a footballing plan.
Ideally you have both, especially at a club like United with the football side being the priority.

R'hllor

PR planning, Disneyland, Hollywood etc. aint the problem on its own. Dunno are some acting dumb or what.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
Zlatan also quoted Mino as also being furious at him over this. Missing out on a lifetime supply of pot noodles put a real cloud on the deal for him.

JohnnyKills

Good Post

Classical Mechanic

Because all the PR bullshit and Hollywood hype around the game enables him to earn so much in the first place. It’s a game he’s handsomely rewarded for playing.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
A lot. And it’s not just that, it’s a long list with Disneyland and all the pathetic stuff. All we have had since SAF retired is PR plans, etc. I’d rather we had focused on a footballing plan.
Ideally you have both, especially at a club like United with the football side being the priority.
Er... no. That disneyland thingy while grotesque to you purist is what enables us to spend hundreds of millions every year.

Just because our footballing side is stuck doesnt mean the marketing department is wrong. They're doing a fine job and in my eyes it's important to build a new sets of new united supporters who will continue to become our backbone for years to come.

And while our football is stuck at least they're doing something. Ideally we have both but at least one of them is working