Ed Woodward has resigned from Manchester United | 2024: Returns to football

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
So he is negotiating with himself for another role? Probably give himself a nice payrise to go with it. This club will not make any progress, the only thing they are good at is continuously rewarding failure.
There is a massive chance he fecks that up tbf

Gordon Godot

Malcom hired him, technically it is Malcom's fault along with the takeover and thrusting the club in debt.
It may be that Malcolm hired him, but Woodward remains uniquely unqualified to run a major football club. From talking to Klopp about Disneyland style Utd to appointing LVG, Mou and then Ole. Giving Ole the permanent role just to be popular after a lucky win, extending his contract etc. Stupid decisions after stupid decision. Now his idiocy has boxed him and the club into a corner. No idea what to do. Guy is a attention seeking muppet.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
The Disneyland thing is defining him for me, how could he even imagine selling the project in this way to a pro football manager. This pitch may work for the noodle companies and the soft toy partner but it still makes me cringe.

Bestietom

Snake. Can wriggle his way out of any situation. Club is rotten to the core with him still in charge.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I'm guessing he's going to advise his replacement to make sure they fully understand the United Way. Just like Putin did.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He has resigned for like a year now! just leave ffs. Stop him from giving any more stupid contracts.

Yakuza_devils

How can we change manager if the person in power to make this call is going to leave soon? Surely he can't be bothered to make this call because soon it will not be his problem anymore.

Need to kick this guy out so that the next in line can make the necessary decision.

el3mel

Wait what??
Couldn't find another job or what?

Pretty much the only club in the world that rewards failure. You fail in your job, you are a shit player or an awful manager, you get new giga contracts and new jobs whenever you are tired of your previous ones.

IRONTUSK

Interview with Van gaal from 2019 going back to his tenure was back in 2015.

Has anything actually changed?

"In the aftermath of Mourinho's exit, United sources stated clearly the appointment of a technical director was on the agenda, in addition to a new manager.

At present, nothing has changed from Van Gaal's time, with Woodward in overall charge and Matt Judge, who has a masters degree in economics and finance and 13 years' experience in investment banking, negotiating fees and contracts. United are adamant their priority is the football side and success on pitch is the objective for everyone at the club. Van Gaal does not agree.

"At the moment there is a structure with a scouting division and above that is someone at Woodward's right hand. The structure is not so bad but the right hand has to be a technical director with a football view, not somebody with a banker's role," Van Gaal says.

"Unfortunately, we are talking about a commercial club, not a football club. I spoke to Ferguson about this and in his last years, he also had problems with it."

Seij

He has resigned for like a year now! just leave ffs. Stop him from giving any more stupid contracts.
He hasn't resigned. He said he was going to resign at the end of the year, which now seems like he'll stay on until the end of the season, and then become a "consultant".

Teja

He hasn't resigned. He said he was going to resign at the end of the year, which now seems like he'll stay on until the end of the season, and then become a "consultant".
"Director".

And keep his fat 3M p/y pay check.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
IF he stays out of footballing side of things, it ok. He bring a lot of money in.

It's a big IF though
Our revenue has been stagnant since 2015. He's not even good at that. There's only so many noodle companies that aren't bothered about sponsoring losers.

Moriarty

When the European super league fiasco - the reason for his resignation - is a far distant memory.

Seij

Our revenue has been stagnant since 2015. He's not even good at that. There's only so many noodle companies that aren't bothered about sponsoring losers.
Yep, we need to remember that we dominated the English football for two decades and are still the 3rd most popular club in the world. You don't have to advertise the club as the adult Disneyland to get those tractor sponsorships.

sugar_kane

It's a little bit like wondering whether Trump would actually leave office as planned, I think Woodward might mount an aggressive coup and take over as manager himself on 31st December.

lsd

The Oracle
It's a little bit like wondering whether Trump would actually leave office as planned, I think Woodward might mount an aggressive coup and take over as manager himself on 31st December.

I would prefer it to Ole

red thru&thru

We do have to remember, he does own shares in the club. He wouldn't completely cut ties even if he left.

Brophs

The One and Only
Makes sense to keep him on. With all of the relationships he’s built up in his time he’d be invaluable. He’s right on the cusp of getting Fabregas’ agent’s phone number, one of these months.

Twisted Nerve

These's always one who has to bring Trump into it.

Pavl3n

Wait what??
Couldn't find another job or what?

Woodward might be incompetent with regards football matters, but his knowledge in the finance is definitely one not to turn down. The club has been ran in a shambolic way from football perspective, but we've managed to rake in stupid amount of money, sponsorship deals and we remain in the top 3 of richest clubs in the world.
So as long as he's consulting the club only on financial topics - I'm all for it.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Woodward might be incompetent with regards football matters, but his knowledge in the finance is definitely one not to turn down. The club has been ran in a shambolic way from football perspective, but we've managed to rake in stupid amount of money, sponsorship deals and we remain in the top 3 of richest clubs in the world.
So as long as he's consulting the club only on financial topics - I'm all for it.
To be fair he is in charge of one of the most marketable sports institutions in the world, which pretty much sells itself to its millions of fans. Taking money off more noodle sponsors isn't a hard task.

fallengt

Just feck off to Disneyland already.
Between super cup and giving mediocre managers new contract are some other stupid shit he did to this club. It's all sackable offence any where but here at United, they're begging him to stay. Madness.

Cloud7

I used to be of the impression that he was good at the financial side of things, because of how much money the club brings in. However I've seen this mentioned a few times which has made me rethink that. In the time that Woody has been here, how have our revenues grown relative to the other top clubs? Does anyone know?

TheLord

Growth, yes. Growth relative to other top clubs
I used to be of the impression that he was good at the financial side of things, because of how much money the club brings in. However I've seen this mentioned a few times which has made me rethink that. In the time that Woody has been here, how have our revenues grown relative to the other top clubs? Does anyone know?
Growth, yes; growth relative to other top English sides, not much.

At the turn of the millennium, there was such an enormous gulf between United and every other English club - football-wise, finance-wise, and in annual growth, the number of domestic and international supporters, sponsorship deals, brand value - basically everything.

We have fecked up big time in the last two decades - the Glazers, Woody, the last few years of SAF, managers, players.....

SmallCaine

You shouldn't be. He did well with 1 or 2 deals early on most likely thanks to most expecting us to bounce back, sadly that well seem to be running dry now. If you look at our pre covid financials we are stagnating in terms of commercial revenues for last 3 years , our match day revenue has been stagnant for nearly all his tenure as CEO thanks to complete neglect of OT. He's incompetence in terms of football matters is going to start costing the next guy off the pitch.

Zen86

Growth, yes. Growth relative to other top clubs

Growth, yes; growth relative to other top English sides, not much.

At the turn of the millennium, there was such an enormous gulf between United and every other English club - football-wise, finance-wise, and in annual growth, the number of domestic and international supporters, sponsorship deals, brand value - basically everything.

We have fecked up big time in the last two decades - the Glazers, Woody, the last few years of SAF, managers, players.....
We were somewhat trailblazers on the economic growth side, fuelled by on-pitch success at such a pivotal time in football. It was inevitable that other Premier League clubs would catch up, and there’s just generally a lot more money sloshing around than there was 20 years ago.