Ed Woodward's position - on top of the world?

Should Woodward be removed from his Role as CE of Manchester United?

• Yes - he should go

Votes: 200 58.1%
  • no - he deserves another chance.

Votes: 144 41.9%

• Total voters

smallred

sorry to start another thread, however wanted to do so purely for a poll just to see what % of United fans want this man gone after what has happened this summer.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Unsure, I don't think the man deserves to lose his job after one summer.

But on the other hand, we can't afford to have another shite summer in 2014.

I honestly reckon we should go for Daniel Levy, with Woodward returning to his original position.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
We dont know all the details. All we know is he acted too slow, and way too cautious. Deals take time, Bale deal was in negotiations since May it was revealed by his agent. Deals can get drawn out. Yesterdays shambles was due to some imposters/fakers trying to act the dick, rather than official United parties getting it wrong. He still has a few questions to answer, but nothing so far worth resigning over.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
There shouldn't be a learning curve as the Chief Executive of a company worth over a billion pounds. Its a joke to be honest.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
We dont know all the details. All we know is he acted too slow, and way too cautious. Deals take time, Bale deal was in negotiations since May it was revealed by his agent. Deals can get drawn out. Yesterdays shambles was due to some imposters/fakers trying to act the dick, rather than official United parties getting it wrong. He still has a few questions to answer, but nothing so far worth resigning over.
We don't know any details besides that some deals were made late.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Add an 'I don't care - we're fans of the club not lovers of hard finance' option. "He deserves another chance" means nothing to me. Therefore I am not voting until there is an 'I don't care' option.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
With the details we have at the moment? No.

That might change though, we have to remember we don't know all the ins and outs of the dealings, even though on the surface it looks stupid it might not be the case.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
He may be good at the commercial side, but should be fired from being involved with player transfers? Based on the evidence, quite definitely.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers
As much as I think he is an incompetent stooge I think Moyes has to share some of the blame too. Having said that he has handled the transition very poorly and should have started selecting targets with Moyes as soon as the last game of the season was over.

Bestie07

I honestly don't know. Don't know what role he had in identifying the targets. The window has been frustrating, things should have been handled better, much better, but we don't know how much money he really had to play with. Like Rozay posted in the other thread, maybe we only had £30m all along. Another Chief Exec won't change that. But don't want us to be left behind either, neither would Glazers. So, will stick by whatever decision the club takes after this window. At least we bought a midfielder.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
As much as i want this halfwit to piss off i think it would be the most idiotic decision the Glazers could make.
He deserves to be told off for overpaying for Fellaini, hindering club's reputation with idiotic valuation of our targets and terrible dealing with Herrera's transfer.

More i hope the Club and Moyes sends an apology to Bilbao and player.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
There has to have been outside forces at work here. It's obviously not as clearcut as him having fecked up months or years of planning single handedly? Perhaps we are skrimping on ever penny to launch a 70m bid to bring back Ronaldo...

Seriously though. Skrimping on a few million for Fellaini cost us millions. Skrimping for Herrara has cost us Herrara. Skrimping on Fabregas, Thiago and Baines probably cost us all 3 with 'derisory bids'. We didn't even bother for Ozil.

LondonRed

I said no; awful, horrific transfer window. Absolute shambles. But everyone has to start somewhere and I do think they will both learn from this and be better in the future.

Knee-jerk reactions like sacking your brand new chief exec that has proven to be quite exceptional at his previous role in the club, is not what I would want my club to turn into. Despite his poor performance this time around, he deserves at least one 'gimme' window where he learns the craft. Gill didn't just suddenly turn up and was a ready made great chief exec. Remember quite a great deal of resentment on here towards Gill during the last decade that only seemed to have softened in the last few years.

Such a small part of a chief exec's job at a football club revolves around transfers. Surely we should take into account his performance on contracts/ticket prices/commercial revenue as well?

Quick question for you all: If we had of signed herrera, would everyone then have said this was a good window?? On such fine margins does public perception change.

Not saying he hasn't been poor and damaged our reputation (I think he has). But making snap decisions is not what we are about.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Even Arsenal fans mocking us? Speaks for itself.

Enigma_87

You know who
wow, if we're calling for this guys head already I wonder how long it will take for Moyes?
Only for the Fellaini fiasco he deserves to go. Everywhere else if you lose 4-5m due to misjudgement you get the sack...

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Forgiven if he brings Ronaldo home in January, and he should probably buy that poor Herrera kid, since he's probably not gonna kick a ball for Bilbao again. It's only fair.

Adebesi

Im sure it wont be that bad for Herrera. Wanting to leave to join a bigger club that is in the CL isnt that big a crime. And its not like Bilbao are spoilt for choice with their Basque players only rule. Im sure theyll all get on with it, the same way we have with Rooney.

smallred

there is nothing knee jerk at all about it, their has been 3 months to get deals sorted and we left everything to the last day due to penny penching and poor management. i see a valid point earlier - if we lost our company 4million quid, we'd all be in big s*it.

Stretch

We don't know any details besides that some deals were made late.

We do know some details:

- We made our bid(s) for Fabregas very public when Barcelona made it clear they don't want to sell quite a few times
- Fellaini had a release clause of circa 23m. We signed him eventually for circa 27m
- We had just two weeks before made a joint bid of 28m for both Fellaini and Baines and ended up paying roundabout that for just one of them
- We made a bid for Herrera as confirmed by their chairman and did so knowing, like everyone else, that Bilbao don't negotiate and we did this very late in the window (few days to go) which left us in the situation of having to rush a deal if we wanted the player

So it's not as if we've no info or no details.

Stretch

We should probably make Fergie director of football

Don't think that's the solution at all. Moyes is his own man and should be given the chance to get his own squad together etc. Director of football don't sign players, they just identify key targets which Moyes should be able to do just fine.

Interval

Level
I think we can make an educated guess.
Don't think so. We don't know the division of power and hence don't know whether it was Woodward who was dithering or Moyes or the Glazers or the tea lady. For all you know the tea lady could be the real power center, like that pointless Matrix scene with the architect.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
One more chance, and if he fecks that up too with useless bids and unrealistic targets then we should hopfully see the last of him doing transfer business. But he seems to be fantastic on the commercial side of the club, so we should put back there. The glazers may think they are saving money by appointing this man and spending little, but the potential we could lose if we don't win the premier league or progress further in the Champions league does add up significantly

Adebesi

there is nothing knee jerk at all about it, their has been 3 months to get deals sorted and we left everything to the last day due to penny penching and poor management. i see a valid point earlier - if we lost our company 4million quid, we'd all be in big s*it.

It depends on the revenues of your company, the size of the deals you work on every day, the amount of money you have made for the company in other deals leading up to the loss and, yes, the amount of time you have had in the job. £4m is nothing when set against the money he has secured via all the commercial deals - so many commercial deals, in fact, that people have actually expressed annoyance hearing about them on here. "Oh no, not another bloody commercial deal! Bloody TYRES?! Who cares?" Well, in fact, I imagine the Glazers do because it is money in their pocket. And if we are going to make money available for transfers, while complying with FFP, we actually need that kind of revenue coming in. So in some ways - important ways - he has done a bloody good job.

Im playing devils advocate here, as I said, my heart says we should feck him off, this window has been a fiasco, no doubt. But yes, sacking him after 3 months would absolutely be knee jerk - especially when he has actually made a shit load of money in other ways. And especially when he is new to the responsibility of player transfers, and will probably (hopefully) improve. If you cost your company £4m, but your piddly little company only generated revenues of £500k in a year, that would be a catastrophe. When you lose £4m but helped bring in revenues of £350m, that is embarrassing. Quite different situations.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
I don't think he should be given another chance. He's paid millions to do his job and he fecked it up badly, tarnishing the image of the club in the process. At any organisation, he'd be sacked for incompetence.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Confirmation