Ed Woodward's position - on top of the world?

Should Woodward be removed from his Role as CE of Manchester United?

• Yes - he should go

Votes: 200 58.1%
  • no - he deserves another chance.

Votes: 144 41.9%

• Total voters

Cina

I'm saying when we signed him he was a squad player, which is true. How do chelsea value a benchwarmer at 37 million?
That's hardly the fair way to look at it though, he was their player of the season for the last two years, and has probably been one of the best #10's in the world for the last two years, just because Mourinho didn't see him as the right fit for his style of play doesn't mean he's not still a great player. Chelsea still knew how great a player he was, they weren't suddenly going to just let his price plummet because he's been on the fringes there. We paid what he's worth right now, I think.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
Why was he on the training pitch? /muppet mode

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I'm saying when we signed him he was a squad player, which is true. How do chelsea value a benchwarmer at 37 million?
Did Arsenal also sign a squad player when they signed Ozil?

RooneyLegend

Did Arsenal also sign a squad player when they signed Ozil?
Didn't ozli start both madrids league games before he left? In anyways he hadn't had an extensive amount of time as a squad player before they got him.

Mata was always going to leave chelsea. He's to big a player to be hanging around warming benches. That's what we signed, a disgruntled bench warmer who was always primed to leave the club cause he clearly wasn't happy with the situation. How's this supposed to be some massive accomplishment?

I know people are falling in love with the whole 'who could've thought we'd have mata in the team in the summer, you go woody' theory but in reality his circumstances have lead more to us landing him than anything woodward did.

We paid big bucks for a player that wasn't rated by his previous manager so had to leave. Nothing special about it.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
At least Woodward isn't this bad....

Bologna suspend staff after new signing left at airport
By Eurosport | Early Doors – 14 hours ago

Bologna president Albano Guaraldi has temporarily suspended four of the club’s directors after they forgot about new signing Ibson.

The midfielder, 30, joined the Serie A strugglers from Brazilian side Corinthians, but his first day didn't quite go as planned as he was left stranded at Bologna's Guglielmo Marconi Airport.

"A break down in communication" was the official line given for the mix-up.

However, club president Guaraldi was reportedly furious with members of his staff and has since moved to suspend four individuals for the costly error which left the club, and the player red-faced.

The club’s technical officer, Adrian Polenta, administrative manager, Lucas Befani, and two staff in the communications department will face an investigation following the incident.

Bologna are 17th in Serie A with 18 points, one point and one place above the relegation zone.

NM

He is....didn't he once get lost on a flight back from Oz!!

Don't forget he sanctioned the purchase of Fellaini, which is bad enough but he also paid an extra £5m for him!
. He didn't and shouldn't interfere in the football side of things. He did this, and you still complain?

Sir A1ex

Before Woodward's position really is untenable - there must be some kind of indication Moyes has told him 1 or 2 definite names he wants regardless of price - then if Woodward goes about making half assed bids or bids joined with other players then maybe it's time to put someone else in charge of transfer dealings.
Sorry, but this is just a load of speculation and hot air, summed up fully by this last part. What kind of indication that Moyes has said this? How much transparency are you expecting in our future transfer dealings?!

Shimo

Sorry, but this is just a load of speculation and hot air, summed up fully by this last part. What kind of indication that Moyes has said this? How much transparency are you expecting in our future transfer dealings?!
I don't expect/want transparency. Right now it's seems quite obvious that the people we will go after are the ones Moyes really wants. It also seems like we will not be able to keep any of these dealings quiet since the targets will be of quite a high profile. As such we should reasonably be able to tell if Woodward and team are putting in bids that will have very little chance of being accepted. Media do make up a lot - even in the Mata deal there was some discrepancy of the 35 to 40m being mooted but, if we'd heard that we were bidding 20-25, it wouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure that it was a waste of time. Same as Chelsea probably wasted 25m to bid for Rooney, we were never going to accept that.

Then there is Baines / Fellaini as a combo deal which was confirmed by Moyes is what they tried to do. It is one that obviously that was really badly handled because they seemed to spend very long time on it. They should have had a strategy in place to try work it as a combo up to a point and then decide which player was priority and just make that happen. Who really does combo deals anyway in the first place? If they do happen it's rare and that's because they are just that hard to pull off. We ended up over paying and who knows because of trying to secure that one deal in that fashion how much time / money was being made available to pull of other targets.

If his position becomes untenable to me, it will be speculation based on stories I read obviously. That's what any of us on here have.

entropy

I think we would have been in a better position if somehow David Gill was convinced to stay on for another year. I feel the transition for Moyes would have been lot easier if someone who is as experienced as Gill advised him on several matters that might not be directly related to football. It would have worked out perfectly for Moyes because

-Gill already has a relationship with the fans and it would be better hearing from him on issues than from Ed Woodward
-He has worked alongside fergie and has often disagreed with him. He could offer a different pov to what fergie or SBC might offer
-He can handle transfer related issues and could have avoided the summer transfer fiasco
-Advice Moyes on how to handle the media or even the pressers before the game

These are few points off the top of my head but anyone else feel it feel the same way?

soapythecat

Well as he is our man for the transfers, come the end of the season his name is going to be the one on everyone's lips.
This summers transfer window is probably the most important since they came into action. With the amount of senior players leaving, old Woody has got some job on his hands.
I reckon 7 players minimum to compete next season. Let's hope he is up for the task.

entropy

Well as he is our man for the transfers, come the end of the season his name is going to be the one on everyone's lips.
This summers transfer window is probably the most important since they came into action. With the amount of senior players leaving, old Woody has got some job on his hands.
I reckon 7 players minimum to compete next season. Let's hope he is up for the task.
Two signings are already in the bag..how many more are we going to see? Keep em coming woody.

RORY65

Two signings are already in the bag..how many more are we going to see? Keep em coming woody.
Didn't the club brief the MEN that story of the two signings was rubbish? I'd imagine we'll see four, possibly five additions to the squad this summer. Also Gill's reputation seems to have soared since he left given he was very unpopular when he was chief executive and he failed to get pretty much all of the big names we were apparently interested in.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Rubbish: the Glazers won't get rid of one of their own men who drags in so much revenue for the club, and he won't retreat back into a financial Director role. He's staying put for the future, and I'm sure one year of experience will put him in a better position for this summer. What won't help him is how unattractive we look right now.