Eddie Hall to fight Thor Bjornsson: Aug 2021 tbc

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I hope it’s a clean fight and everyone has a fun time.

Jack-C20

Makes sense, they started their trash talking weeks ago. Just boxing or MMA? Can you imagine those two grappling? :lol:

Heardy

Saw Eddie say on Instagram that he’d sign the papers as Thor had called him a cheat.

Would be interesting to see but would think Thor’s height advantage would be hard to overcome.

Skills

Snitch
I think Thor would win - looks a more natural athlete so I think he'd get into better shape to last a few rounds, without sacrificing as much strength.

Eddie Hall just looks like an obese guy who realised if he lifted and got as fat as possible, he'd get really strong.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I think Thor would win - looks a more natural athlete so I think he'd get into better shape to last a few rounds, without sacrificing as much strength.

Eddie Hall just looks like an obese guy who realised if he lifted and got as fat as possible, he'd get really strong.
Would expect Thor to win, if it ever happens
Apparently Eddie used to be an elite swimmer before he piled on the protein, so theory is he’ll give Thor the run around and get him gassed in round 2 or 3 after which Eddie will take him out.

In the 2nd VDO Eddie says he thinks fight will be in a years time, so both have enough time to learn enough boxing skills.

Last edited:

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
If Bjornsson can learn to be half decent at boxing, his reach alone would give him an unbeatable advantage.

Apparently Eddie used to be an elite swimmer before he piled on the protein, so theory is he’ll give Thor the run around and get him gassed in round 2 or 3 after which Eddie will take him out.

In the 2nd VDO Eddie says he thinks fight will be in a years time, so both have enough time to learn enough boxing skills.
He swam for GB as a kid. He only got fat in his pursuit of strongman, he was a proper athlete before that. He knows how to look after himself too and has messed around with boxing before.

I don't know jack about Thor though and if he'd be any good. You could time their punches with a stopwatch, and it's hard to tell if they really do dislike each other or it's an act.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
The winner will face Sourness or Keane. Old school footballers are so tough and all

Skills

Snitch
He swam for GB as a kid. He only got fat in his pursuit of strongman, he was a proper athlete before that. He knows how to look after himself too and has messed around with boxing before.

I don't know jack about Thor though and if he'd be any good. You could time their punches with a stopwatch, and it's hard to tell if they really do dislike each other or it's an act.
Thor himself was a basketball player at a fairly decent level.

The weight and height difference between them is huge though. But with guys of that size and both being fairly untrained, if one of them manages to fluke a hit the other's going down. I doubt you can train well enough in a year to have a 'real' strategy outside of learning how to punch properly.

Classical Mechanic

Thor himself was a basketball player at a fairly decent level.

The weight and height difference between them is huge though. But with guys of that size and both being fairly untrained, if one of them manages to fluke a hit the other's going down. I doubt you can train well enough in a year to have a 'real' strategy outside of learning how to punch properly.
Thor is massive even among strongmen but you have to ask yourself why smaller and less athletic guys beat him in the world's strongest man competition most of the time. I'd say it's to do with mentality. Eddie caused himself a brain bleed lifting 500kg and collapsed afterwards beating the old record by a significant margin. Thor beat the record by 2lbs to lift 501kg a lot more comfortably.

Boxing is one of the most cerebral sports there is. Freddie Roach says it's 90% psychological. Punchers chance aside I'd back Eddie to win because he's got the bigger heart. That's my amatuer psychology anyway.

“1,000 percent I’m going to sign those papers. And you know why I’m going to sign those papers,” said Hall. “It’s not the money, it’s not the dead lift feud we’ve got going on, nothing to do with that. It’s because you called me a cheat at World’s Strongest Man 2017. I can’t put that to bed, I can’t forget it. People may forget it, but you’ve never apologized. You think you should’ve won that year, regardless of the trophies or not, and you let people know that. I cannot have that, that’s why I’m going to sign those papers. Because I want to teach you a lesson. and that lesson is going to be me knocking you the f--k out. I don’t care if you’re 6 feet 9 inches, I don’t care if you’re an actual giant. I don’t care. I’m gonna train the hardest, prepare the hardest … do everything in my power to step in that ring and rip your f--king head off.

"So Thor, get training, I’ll see you in the ring."

Bwuk

MMA Eddie has more of a chance. Boxing the size difference is too much.

Thor is massive even among strongmen but you have to ask yourself why smaller and less athletic guys beat him in the world's strongest man competition most of the time. I'd say it's to do with mentality. Eddie caused himself a brain bleed lifting 500kg and collapsed afterwards beating the old record by a significant margin. Thor beat the record by 2lbs to lift 501kg a lot more comfortably.

Boxing is one of the most cerebral sports there is. Freddie Roach says it's 90% psychological. Punchers chance aside I'd back Eddie to win because he's got the bigger heart. That's my amatuer psychology anyway.

“1,000 percent I’m going to sign those papers. And you know why I’m going to sign those papers,” said Hall. “It’s not the money, it’s not the dead lift feud we’ve got going on, nothing to do with that. It’s because you called me a cheat at World’s Strongest Man 2017. I can’t put that to bed, I can’t forget it. People may forget it, but you’ve never apologized. You think you should’ve won that year, regardless of the trophies or not, and you let people know that. I cannot have that, that’s why I’m going to sign those papers. Because I want to teach you a lesson. and that lesson is going to be me knocking you the f--k out. I don’t care if you’re 6 feet 9 inches, I don’t care if you’re an actual giant. I don’t care. I’m gonna train the hardest, prepare the hardest … do everything in my power to step in that ring and rip your f--king head off.

"So Thor, get training, I’ll see you in the ring."
That's kind of my thinking. Not that either of them will be anywhere close to the same skill level but Tyson regularly beat fighters much bigger than him because of his ferocity.

Thor seems quite chilled out and is strong because he's naturally so huge. Eddie has always been driven to the point of being a bit unhinged.

OleBoiii

How's the stamina of these guys? I reckon they'll gas out pretty quickly unless they train hard for boxing specifically for many months. I predict that one of the following will happen:

1. The Mountain loses on stamina and sheer will and becomes target practice for Eddie, which results in the ref calling it off before it gets to brutal.

2. The Mountain manages to keep his distance and wins on points. This is assuming that both of them have the stamina to go all the rounds.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
That is pretty mental that Bjornsson only beat Hall’s record by a kilogram when he has about 5-6 inches of height and probably 30 kilos on him.

Grib

Eddie trimmed right down after exiting strong man (though has still massive muscle mass), you also have to consider the conditioning side off things strong man is more short intense effort.

Thor will likely still have to stay conditioned for strongman given he'll want another title after missing out on the win last year largely to injury were as Eddie can focus his efforts on conditioning himself for an actual boxing match

Boxing is though anyone who's done it will know it's a different kind of fitness from other sports so that could potentially be telling

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
A few years ago I went for a kebab after a night out and there was a lot of commotion.
Eddie Hall’s wife had been out in town and had been in the kebaby when a little scrote had come up and tried to get with her. He was very handsy. I arrived as this was all ending

the next day Eddie Hall posted a video of the CCTV footage from inside the premises. He wanted to meet thisyoung scrote and have a face to face. I had Eddie’s personal Facebook and about five lads had tagged the lad in the video.
I have always wanted to know the outcome of that video.

I was also once in a burger bar where Eddie Hall turned up. He ordered SEVEN burgers in a bun. It was fecking mental.

DoomSlayer

Both are legends and I welcome the entertainment. What these 2 have achieved is beyond belief, sometimes I wonder if we are the same species.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
That is pretty mental that Bjornsson only beat Hall’s record by a kilogram when he has about 5-6 inches of height and probably 30 kilos on him.
How is that mental? He chose to only go for 501kg, nothing says that he couldn't do more. Both records are kind of symbolic and not necessarily representative of each athletes true limits.

DWelbz19

How is that mental? He chose to only go for 501kg, nothing says that he couldn't do more. Both records are kind of symbolic and not necessarily representative of each athletes true limits.
I was working under the assumption that was his limit. If he simply did 501KG to surpass Hall’s and could lift more, then sure, fair enough. And a record isn’t symbolic; a record is a record. I would also say deadlifting the heaviest weight you possibly can tends to be quite the picture of your ‘limits’ too.

Skills

Snitch
I was working under the assumption that was his limit. If he simply did 501KG to surpass Hall’s and could lift more, then sure, fair enough. And a record isn’t symbolic; a record is a record. I would also say deadlifting the heaviest weight you possibly can tends to be quite the picture of your ‘limits’ too.
It didn't look like he maxed out, but there's a good reason not to... If he's got more in his locker he can break his own record again and get a nice little bonus for doing it (i.e. for pulling in people into an event).

Lasha talakhadze who's the world's strongest Olympic lifter snatched 220kg a few years ago. But then when the WRs were reset (because they changed weight categories) he only went for WR 217kg, and then beat his own WR by snatching 220kg again last year.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Just looking at him pulling 501kg up, suggested to me that Thor could have done more on the day, or certainly in that specific lift. Up to 505kg or more I reckon.

Compare his ease to the nose bleed bluster it took Eddie. Makes sense as Thor weighs Significantly more than Eddie so 501kg is a much lower lift:body weight ratio.

JPRouve

Scout
By records I'm talking about the actual weight, I poorly expressed myself. 500kg was clearly a round figure that he picked, think about it this way in July 9th 2016 Hall went from an official world record at 465kg to 500kg, I would be willing to bet that his unofficial record is higher than that, even though Hall wasn't fresh after it.
As Skills said it's a business for these guys they aren't going to just give everything once and not be seen again, they will milk it.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Lots of issues with Thor’s record, namely It wasn’t independently verified by approved adjudication. What’s to stop me making a VDO now and uploading via live stream and claiming I just did 505kg? How would that be differ from Thor? That’s the view of Eddie and Brian Shaw.

DWelbz19

Fair points from everyone, lads. I did forget the entertainment aspect of this and was focussing solely on the physical/athletic side.

By records I'm talking about the actual weight, I poorly expressed myself. 500kg was clearly a round figure that he picked, think about it this way in July 9th 2016 Hall went from an official world record at 465kg to 500kg, I would be willing to bet that his unofficial record is higher than that, even though Hall wasn't fresh after it.
As Skills said it's a business for these guys they aren't going to just give everything once and not be seen again, they will milk it.
Unlikely. You build up for weeks to a maximum lift like that and other training has to take a back seat while you do it. These guys won't be maxing out like that very often at all and Hall wouldn't get near it now he's lost so much weight.

Eddie was clear he wanted to be the first to lift half a tonne. He wanted to be remembered. Nobody remembered his 462 and nobody will remember 501.

Classical Mechanic

Lots of issues with Thor’s record, namely It wasn’t independently verified by approved adjudication. What’s to stop me making a VDO now and uploading via live stream and claiming I just did 505kg? How would that be differ from Thor? That’s the view of Eddie and Brian Shaw.
"Because of the malicious rumours Thor & his team started I’ve endured years of people questioning what is the crowning achievement of my career," Hall wrote. "Well guess what pal, you break my record in your home gym with a bunch of your pals, you’re going to get the same treatment... Absolutely no legitimate sport would acknowledge World Records broken out of competition & you are undermining the very sport you are claiming to champion."

"I genuinely look forward to having my record broken & seeing what is possible," he continued. "I think you are probably the man to do it, there’s no denying that & I’ll still shake your hand afterwards and say well done... if you do it under the appropriate conditions. For the record I feel the same way about the other “records” that are being attempted, it just doesn’t feel right & there are 1000s of strength fans & athletes that feel the same way... Break a record in a comp where other people can contest it & no one will have a negative word to say, including myself."

JPRouve

Scout
Unlikely. You build up for weeks to a maximum lift like that and other training has to take a back seat while you do it. These guys won't be maxing out like that very often at all and Hall wouldn't get near it now he's lost so much weight.

Eddie was clear he wanted to be the first to lift half a tonne. He wanted to be remembered. Nobody remembered his 462 and nobody will remember 501.
A few things, I didn't say that they could max out very often and I didn't say that Hall could do it today. I simply said that the official records aren't necessarily their actual max or the max that they actually lifted, when it comes to official records they set a weight that they are relatively comfortable with, something that they have already done behind closed door and it's unlikely to be their actual max.

As I said in the post that you quoted the same day he beat the record with 465kgs, Magnusson and Pritchett match it and later that day he goes with 500k, on that day he probably could have gone a bit higher even if it was only 1 or 2 more kgs.