Eden Hazard | "It's time to enjoy life drinking beers"

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Where was he meant to fit in at Real Madrid? Take Vinicius place? I never got the logic in them signing him.
Vini was 18 at the time we signed him. Hazard was 28. He was supposed to carry the team those 2-4 years before Vini could take over/we signed Mbappé. Alas... :(

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
That's not true, he started okay at Real Madrid then against PSG sustained an injury where a metal plate had to be surgically installed in his fibula which resulted in him actually needing to run differently to prevent pain, which then in turn led to other muscular imbalances considering he is now utilizing his body differently, it can kill anyone's chance to return to their peak self.
This. And the sad part is he really tried to get back to some semblance of a good player, just couldn't do it...

Idxomer

Add Peak Suarez, Salah Shearer to Henry Ronaldo Vidic Rooney. The top EPL stars

Will Hazard make the Lampard, Van Persie, Scholes Aguero Rio, Giggs, D.Silva, KdB RvNistelrooy tier
He is in the next one, Van Persie too for that matter.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Add Peak Suarez, Salah Shearer to Henry Ronaldo Vidic Rooney. The top EPL stars

Will Hazard make the Lampard, Van Persie, Scholes Aguero Rio, Giggs, D.Silva, KdB RvNistelrooy tier
He's in the second group, but there are some players in the first group that belong in the second group too.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Vini was 18 at the time we signed him. Hazard was 28. He was supposed to carry the team those 2-4 years before Vini could take over/we signed Mbappé. Alas... :(
Yeah its so sad in that time that you've only witnessed league titles and UCL success with the current Ballon D'or :lol:

:(

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
He's in the second group, but there are some players in the first group that belong in the second group too.
Who would be in the first group that belong to the 2nd group?

TheReligion

Abusive
Hazard has been such a flop. At 28 he should have been at the peak of his powers for several more years. Look at Robben for comparison or Ribery.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Peak Hazard is a tier 1 player in the premier league. He doesn't compare favorably against the others in terms of longevity.

Righteous Steps

All of them bar Henry and Ronaldo.
How? Vidic belongs in the first group he’s one of the best cbs in PL history captain of one of the more successful sides and PFA Player of the year. Suarez had probably the greatest season in PL history apart from Ronaldo, but you could leave him out due to longevity. There is no way you can leave Salah out of the top tier though, he is literally PL highest scorer, 3 time top scorer in the league, 1 time playmaker of the year, and has top 3-4 Pl seasons of all time in his first season, there is no credible argument where he isn’t in tier 1.

Shearer is the greatest Pl scorer of all time and gets there by default, he has longevity as well.

Tier 1 for me would include: Vidic, Cantona, Keane, Ronaldo, Henry Salah, Rio has the dead certs.

Lampard VVD Rooney Drogba Terry Gerrrard Scholes De Bruyne could all possibly be in tier 1 or 2.

I struggle to know where to put Giggs he really should be tier 1 but he never hit the peaks the names I mentioned in that tier did, but longevity wise he shits on all those players from a distance.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Hazard has been such a flop. At 28 he should have been at the peak of his powers for several more years. Look at Robben for comparison or Ribery.
Can't do anything about career-altering injuries

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Where do you rate Zola, Cech, Lampard and Terry? Just so I can gauge it from your view point?
Tier 3 - Zola
Tier 2 - Cech, Lampard Terry along all the other PL greats like Gerrard, Aguero etc.

Tier 2 is bigger pool obviously, and Tier 3 will be an even bigger pool. It's not scientific though, so I can be convinced of this player belonging to this or that group.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Tier 3 - Zola
Tier 2 - Cech, Lampard Terry along all the other PL greats like Gerrard, Aguero etc.

Tier 2 is bigger pool obviously, and Tier 3 will be an even bigger pool. It's not scientific though, so I can be convinced of this player belonging to this or that group.
I would put Carvalho in tier 2 aswell if I'm honest.

He would be a £100m plus defender in today's game.

TheReligion

Abusive
Tier 3 - Zola

I think that’s where we differ to some extent.

So I’d have Terry in the same bracket as Rio and Vidic. Lampard and Scholes too (2)

I’d put Zola in with Cantona (3)

Perhaps Hazard sits between the 2-3 for me.

I don’t see him as the same as the 2 bracket but would accept he’s just above the 3.

Idxomer

So I’d have Terry in the same bracket as Rio and Vidic. Lampard and Scholes too (2)

I don’t see him as the same as the 2 bracket but would accept he’s just above the 3.
Cantona is higher than Hazard, the main man in the team that won 4/5 titles at the start of the premier league.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I would put Carvalho in tier 2 aswell if I'm honest.

He would be a £100m plus defender in today's game.
I wouldn't personally. Great player of course, but I think he's gotten a tad overrated over the years to the point where people have started attributing Terry's success to Carvalho's presence.

TheReligion

Abusive
Cantona is higher than Hazard, the main man in the team that won 4/5 titles at the start of the premier league.
The lack of European success somewhat separates him in my mind but I’d not fight you over it. Not from Hazard but from the names I put in tier 2.

He was my idol as a kid.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

I don't see him as an equal Tier 2 member as Lampard, Gerrard etc but he belongs in there for me. As does Cantona for what it's worth.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
All of them bar Henry and Ronaldo.
Ronaldo is a great footballer but most of his greatness were in La Liga. I will say Salah has outdone Ronaldo in EPL already
In EPL the tier 1 to me (peak performance + longevity) will be Henry Shearer Vidic and Salah
Peak performance alone without longevity Ronaldo Suarez

I don't think Hazard belongs in this group as he never had the peaks these guys had

Last edited:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Nah. Great player but he’s not on par with Terry, Rio, Vidic etc
I can't be bothered to get into player comparison arguments but he'd (Carvalho) would be considered gold dust in this modern game in my opinion.

He was elite at playing it out from the back both with passing and dribbling (for a specific reference his action for Joe Cole's goal vs Liverpool in 2007), had the pace to cope playing in highlines and on top of that was a top defender.

When you consider how valuable even so so defenders who can do the first two at the top class level have been in recent times I could have seen him being quite sort after.

I wouldn't personally. Great player of course, but I think he's gotten a tad overrated over the years to the point where people have started attributing Terry's success to Carvalho's presence.
I for sure didn't agree with that (Terry won a league at 34 next to Cahill) but I do feel Carvalho was top class in his own right.

I feel maybe his early decline (he was pretty poor in the Scolari/Hiddink season and a liability in Ancelotti's double year) works against him in terms of general perception.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
For me Hazard is in tier 3 then.

Henry/Ronaldo in their own bracket
I don't see the argument for making Ronaldo into tier 1 but excludes Salah. Salah 2017 to 2022 >> Ronaldo 2007 to 2009

TheReligion

Abusive
I can't be bothered to get into player comparison arguments but he'd (Carvalho) would be considered gold dust in this modern game in my opinion.

He was elite at playing it out from the back both with passing and dribbling (for a specific reference his action for Joe Cole's goal vs Liverpool in 2007), had the pace to cope playing in highlines and on top of that was a top defender.

When you consider how valuable even so so defenders who can do the first two at the top class level have been in recent times I could have seen him being quite sort after.

I for sure didn't agree with that (Terry won a league at 34 next to Cahill) but I do feel Carvalho was top class in his own right.

I feel maybe his early decline (he was pretty poor in the Scolari/Hiddink season and a liability in Ancelotti's double year) works against him in terms of general perception.
As I say, great player, but he’s no Terry, Rio or Vidic.

When the debate is about tiers he’s good but not quite in the same tier as the very best to play in the PL. The longevity has to play a factor. Stam won more than Carvalho, including a European Cup, but was only in the PL for 4 years.

Obviously my opinion. It’s all subjective.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
I will agree with most of this But personally drop Terry below Vidic.
Zola Cantona and Hazard in tier 3

Obviously this will be subjective

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
I don't see the argument for making Ronaldo into tier 1 but excludes Salah. Salah 2017 to 2022 >> Ronaldo 2007 to 2009
I agree. I wouldn’t even have Ronaldo in tier 1. Not for United anyway. 2 seasons of his entire career that was pretty spectacular. But that’s not enough for me. A La Liga tier 0 and Prem tier 2 at best.

TheReligion

Abusive
I agree. I wouldn’t even have Ronaldo in tier 1. Not for United anyway. 2 seasons of his entire career that was pretty spectacular. But that’s not enough for me. A La Liga tier 0 and Prem tier 2 at best.
I mean Ronaldo eclipses anything Hazard did…

The numbers speak for themselves over his last 4 seasons;

12 in 47
23 in 53
42 in 49
26 in 53

Then when he returned;

24 in 38

3 PL titles
2 League Cups
1 FA Cup
1 European Cup

He’s got more goals than Hazard in less games and won more.

To suggest he’s tier 2 ‘at best’ is ridiculous :lol:

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea

Probably agree with that. Zola is still the best player ive seen at Chelsea. His ability with the ball etc.

But i also think when Hazard was with us and on his game, he was the best player in the league. Slight bias, too

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea

12 in 47
23 in 53
42 in 49
26 in 53

Then when he returned;

24 in 38

3 PL titles
2 League Cups
1 FA Cup
1 European Cup

Let’s agree to disagree then. What I see is one amazing season, 2 great seasons and an ok season. 4 seasons isn’t enough to be considered PL tier 1 in my opinion. Team honours don’t particularly count towards individual success and you’re using his total season stats to justify his place in this theoretical league tier system. While his stats for his final 4 seasons are still impressive he only passed 20 goals in one season. In his first 3 seasons he was outshone by Robben who got a move to Madrid earlier because of it. Again, phenomenal at his peak but his peak was not United.

OmarUnited4ever

12 in 47
23 in 53
42 in 49
26 in 53

Then when he returned;

24 in 38

3 PL titles
2 League Cups
1 FA Cup
1 European Cup

Also Balon D'or winner in 08

TheReligion

Abusive
Let’s agree to disagree then. What I see is one amazing season, 2 great seasons and an ok season. 4 seasons isn’t enough to be considered PL tier 1 in my opinion. Team honours don’t particularly count towards individual success and you’re using his total season stats to justify his place in this theoretical league tier system. While his stats for his final 4 seasons are still impressive he only passed 20 goals in one season. In his first 3 seasons he was outshone by Robben who got a move to Madrid earlier because of it. Again, phenomenal at his peak but his peak was not United.
As said by @OmarUnited4ever he won the Ballon d’Or whilst at United and in the PL.

If that, along with the rest, isn’t enough to say he’s tier one, there’s definitely going to be no one else in that bracket either.

To suggest he’s tier two ‘at best’ as though he’d be lucky to even get in that bracket is silly.