Edinson Cavani - Manchester United Player

SATA

He’s always a beast with Uruguay. Hope he translates that into a United shirt. Martial will do well to learn his off the ball movement during his three games out

Leethal

No. You complain at the other thread about the specific transfers that went tits up. Not here.

I don't know if the club planned to get Cavani anyways or if this was a plan C. I think it is, personally. But regardless, whether you like it or not, we always needed a short term striker. And Cavani can potentially fill in that gap.
We needed a short term striker, why? Why did we have to sign Cavani at the very last second? You know why: Because we fecked everything else up, and ended up with this guy, as our only option. Like I said earlier, it isn't his fault; it's the boards fault.

You won't convince me, ever, that Cavani was a good signing. Even if he has a stellar season. Why? Because we're throwing bandages over faults, instead of fixing them. I'd rather spend the year or two Cavani is here developing Greenwood as a #9, personally, as he has a future here. Cavani, at 33, does not. We should have planned a whole fecking lot better than having to resort to this last second panic fix.

jackal&hyde

Interesting that the BBC feel the need to clarify - It is understood that the wage package for Cavani does not go beyond the pay structure at the club.

He must be on a fortune as one of the highest earners. Why mention it otherwise?
So we know he is not on a fortune and fits the wage structure :houllier:

tombombadil

Now now, finance aside, the contract 1 + 1 is good.

Ighalo only have 3 months left and looking likely we won't extend it. We need depth.

If Cavani turns out to exceed expectation, we can just simply extend for one more year. He got a year to win himself an extension. If he don't then simply move him out along. Easy.
Exactly. The deal, on it's own is a reasonable deal. I won't fault the club for this.

Both Giroud and Cavani are not pace merchants, Griroud is proven in PL, Cavani would need time. All I am saying is this is a panic buy. Inghalo deal was renewed. If striker was a requirement, there was lot of time to get one.
Fair enough. I think Cavani looks a more classy striker though. But you are right. He is a gamble and he needs time to bed in. However, he does seem to fit Ole's preference better though.

I don't know if this is a panic buy. It does look like it at first. But there are alternative theories as well.
Theory A
I think of this as a plan C.
Plan A - Sancho -> club is broke -> Greenwood subs both striker and RW
Plan B - Dembele -> short term loan deal -> Greenwood subs both striker and RW
Plan C - Cavani -> short term deal -> Greenwood first choice RW and we got additional youth wingers/forwards.

Why we left it to last minute? I think we all hate Ed/Matt for the same reasons. Somehow they insist on thinking Dortmund are desperate to sell for some reason and will cave if we bid at the last minute a cheaper deal. Logically, Dortmund would look stupid to accept it. Why would they? Ed/Matt only knows.

Theory B
There is another theory that they left it till last minute to force Cavani to lower his contract offer. All indications are, the contract is a reasonable fee.

My guess is a mixture of both A and B.

As for Ighalo, IINM, we only wanted Ighalo till end of last season. His club insisted to loan until Jan as their season normally begins in Feb. Ighalo leaving in Jan means we will have no back up striker and not enough experience.

Last edited:

tombombadil

We needed a short term striker, why? Why did we have to sign Cavani at the very last second? You know why: Because we fecked everything else up, and ended up with this guy, as our only option. Like I said earlier, it isn't his fault; it's the boards fault.

You won't convince me, ever, that Cavani was a good signing. Even if he has a stellar season. Why? Because we're throwing bandages over faults, instead of fixing them. I'd rather spend the year or two Cavani is here developing Greenwood as a #9, personally, as he has a future here. Cavani, at 33, does not. We should have planned a whole fecking lot better than having to resort to this last second panic fix.
I don't think this is a stellar signing. I think it is a necessary signing. And Cavani can contribute not just goals, but his experience as well.

I'll repeat this part from my other post here.

I don't know if this is a panic buy. It does look like it at first. But there are alternative theories as well.
Theory A
Plan C - Cavani -> short term deal -> Greenwood first choice RW and we got additional youth wingers/forwards.

Why we left it to last minute? I think we all hate Ed/Matt for the same reasons. Somehow they insist on thinking Dortmund are desperate to sell for some reason and will cave if we bid at the last minute a cheaper deal. Logically, Dortmund would look stupid to accept it. Why would they? Ed/Matt only knows.

Theory B
There is another theory that they left it till last minute to force Cavani to lower his contract offer. All indications are, the contract is a reasonable fee.

As for Ighalo, IINM, we only wanted Ighalo till end of last season. His club insisted to loan until Jan as their season normally begins in Feb. Ighalo leaving in Jan means we will have no back up striker and not enough experience.

Leethal

I don't think this is a stellar signing. I think it is a necessary signing. And Cavani can contribute not just goals, but his experience as well.

I'll repeat this part from my other post here.

Theory A

Theory B

I agree with you. Our main options went tits up due to our boards/woodward incompetency in the transfer market, so we had Cavani as a safety net as nobody else was interested in him and we felt safe in picking him up at the last second if need be.

He's only necessary because of our clubs inability to have any form of planning and/or structure. If we weren't so fecking incompetent, there's not a chance in hell Cavani would be lining up for us. But here we are.

tombombadil

I agree with you. Our main options went tits up due to our boards/woodward incompetency in the transfer market, so we had Cavani as a safety net as nobody else was interested in him and we felt safe in picking him up at the last second if need be.

He's only necessary because of our clubs inability to have any form of planning and/or structure. If we weren't so fecking incompetent, there's not a chance in hell Cavani would be lining up for us. But here we are.
I understand your frustration. This deal is symbolic of your frustrations. Our frustrations. As you said. It's not Cavani's fault. Let's not take it out on him here.

Right now, I only hope that Cavani can contribute some modicum of success to our, already very fragile, season

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Can’t wait to see him play. Old fella or not, 1 + 1 year contract is cool. Hopefully he’ll smash a load in for us and show our existing forwards something new.

Some real comedy in this thread, who in their right mind would think us having Martial, Cavani (even at 33) and Greenwood as out forward options is a bad thing?

Member 90887

Can people just give him a chance ? we needed a back up striker. We got one. Just cite a better back up striker for us, that is available right now ? for free ?

Let's let him kick a ball and then judge the transfer. He gives another dimension to our attack. One that our other attackers don't. Rashford, Martial and Greenwood are all a similar king of strikers. It makes sens to get someone like Cavani in + Our strikers are all young, it'll help them to have an experienced striker with them. They can learn a lot from him.

And plus, it's a one year deal, if he does well, he'll stay for another year, otherwise we will look at someone else. There is no downside to the deal for me.

Let's stop this negativity around the club. Let's give him a chance.

Leethal

Can people just give him a chance ? we needed a back up striker. We got one. Just cite a better back up striker for us, that is available right now ? for free ?

Let's let him kick a ball and then judge the transfer. He gives another dimension to our attack. One that our other attackers don't. Rashford, Martial and Greenwood are all a similar king of strikers. It makes sens to get someone like Cavani in + Our strikers are all young, it'll help them to have an experienced striker with them. They can learn a lot from him.

And plus, it's a one year deal, if he does well, he'll stay for another year, otherwise we will look at someone else. There is no downside to the deal for me.

Let's stop this negativity around the club. Let's give him a chance.
You don't get what people's problem is, I think. The problem isn't Cavani; it's the fact we've been force to make this transfer as we fecked everything else up, and now we've had to sign a 33 year old striker who hasn't played football for 7 months, as a last resort.

The Red Thinker

Feel no joy in this at all. :(
I have a similar feeling. It’s because there was no plan... and the fact that we thought we were getting somewhere finishing third and began negotiations with Sancho, it seemed like the club was going in the right direction. Now it’s kore uncertainty. In these times... it feels even worse.

jesperjaap

Falcao is a lazy comparison. Falcao was recovering from a career-threatening injury. Cavani isn't.
Yes very lazy comparison, one of the best strikers in the world over the last decade, SOuth American, past 30.barely played in the last year or so.......chalk n cheese

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
160k vs. 0k as no one else wanted him. I'm no economic genius, but I think I know which option I'd take. Let's not forget the signing on fee they both received, eh.

Also, I do understand the class of Cavani. He was a great player, and I'd have been ecstatic 4-5 years ago. Just like I'd have been ecstatic at Schweinsteiger if we signed him 4-5 years earlier. But the reality is, they both came here when they are far past their best.
Alright you can continue slitting wrists while I'm gonna enjoy this. 160k for a player of Cavani's calibre is an incredible deal. Even if he's a total dud.

shamans

You don't get what people's problem is, I think. The problem isn't Cavani; it's the fact we've been force to make this transfer as we fecked everything else up, and now we've had to sign a 33 year old striker who hasn't played football for 7 months, as a last resort.
This transfer has no bearing on other transfers.

kiristao

The hate here for a guy before he even kicks a ball is astonishing. :mad::mad:
Anyone who thinks we did not sign Sancho because we signed Cavani needs to get their heads checked. We did not sign Sancho as we were either not willing to meet the valuation or did not have the money to meet the valuation or something entirely different that only the club would know. What we know for sure is that it had nothing to do with signing Cavani.
Yes he is 33 (or something like that) and has had his share of injuries and if he does fail we will have plenty of time to abuse him and the club. For now show him some support or at the very least do not show him so much hate.
PS: His daughter's name is India so he is already my favourite player. ;)

flappyjay

The weird thing about this transfer is that it's a big gamble which can end up as a disaster. On the other end it could also end up being the reason why we have any success this season. The deal has happened all we can do now is seat and hope it pays off.

Leethal

Alright you can continue slitting wrists while I'm gonna enjoy this. 160k for a player of Cavani's calibre is an incredible deal. Even if he's a total dud.
He's a free agent, so there's a signing on fee as well as agents fees. It isn't just 160k a week.

Leethal

This transfer has no bearing on other transfers.
Of course it does. That's the reason why he was signed at the very last second, despite having no club, and no offers from other clubs. He was contemplating retirement as no one else wanted him, before Ed rode in. Cavani was our safety net after everything else fell through. We'd have never have signed him if we got our targets, because if we were intending all along, there's no way we would've waited to the last day to secure his signing.

Leethal

The hate here for a guy before he even kicks a ball is astonishing. :mad::mad:
Anyone who thinks we did not sign Sancho because we signed Cavani needs to get their heads checked. We did not sign Sancho as we were either not willing to meet the valuation or did not have the money to meet the valuation or something entirely different that only the club would know. What we know for sure is that it had nothing to do with signing Cavani.
Yes he is 33 (or something like that) and has had his share of injuries and if he does fail we will have plenty of time to abuse him and the club. For now show him some support or at the very least do not show him so much hate.
PS: His daughter's name is India so he is already my favourite player. ;)
Nobody is hating on Cavani. He'd be a fool not to come to United for one last payday after no other club opted in for him. If anything, I applaud him for managing to pull this off.

Also, nobody is saying we signed Cavani so we didn't get Sancho. If anything, it's the other way around. We didn't get Sancho, so we got Cavani,

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

Day with Cavani at PSG pre season last year for people who want to know what type personality he has off the pitch (there is CC button available for english translation). It seems he's getting along with Herrera, I can already imagine him, DDG & Mata sitting on the team bus and joking around.

RedPnutz

For people complaining that the club has no plan, the signing of Cavani illustrates that there is a plan. We have not signed our primary target(s) and we can debate the reasons for that in another thread, but there is always a price that buyers and sellers have and if the valuations are different the deal doesn't happen. It's quite normal so I am not sure why posters are getting so upset.

Anyway even if we did not end up with Sancho, we still ended up with Cavani which fills a gap and improves our squad depth. Bear in mind we have still signed Van Der Beek, Telles, Diallo, Facundo, Cavani this window - all of whom fill a gap or improve squad depth. Now we can have fans who disagree with the quality of the incoming players, but it doesn't change the fact that the club feels that these players have the potential to be good.

There is a plan. Not having a plan would be chasing Sancho and then failing to sign him or anyone else on deadline day. As things stand, our squad has been improved.

shamans

Of course it does. That's the reason why he was signed at the very last second, despite having no club, and no offers from other clubs. He was contemplating retirement as no one else wanted him, before Ed rode in. Cavani was our safety net after everything else fell through. We'd have never have signed him if we got our targets, because if we were intending all along, there's no way we would've waited to the last day to secure his signing.
You've gone full twitter mode now. No such thing has happened.

shamans

For people complaining that the club has no plan, the signing of Cavani illustrates that there is a plan. We have not signed our primary target(s) and we can debate the reasons for that in another thread, but there is always a price that buyers and sellers have and if the valuations are different the deal doesn't happen. It's quite normal so I am not sure why posters are getting so upset.

Anyway even if we did not end up with Sancho, we still ended up with Cavani which fills a gap and improves our squad depth. Bear in mind we have still signed Van Der Beek, Telles, Diallo, Facundo, Cavani this window - all of whom fill a gap or improve squad depth. Now we can have fans who disagree with the quality of the incoming players, but it doesn't change the fact that the club feels that these players have the potential to be good.

There is a plan. Not having a plan would be chasing Sancho and then failing to sign him or anyone else on deadline day. As things stand, our squad has been improved.
Exactly. It's lazy analysis to just say there's no plan.

gza the genius

As an isolated transfer bringing in Cavani is fine. We need attackers and will specifically need a striker when Ighalo leaves in January. In the context of the transfer window as a whole it's sort've a disaster. Yes it solves an issue within the squad but certainly much lower down the totem pole of importance. We've somehow bought 5 players and not improved our starting 11 at all when there were glaring issues at right wing, center back and a defensive mid as well.

shamans

The weird thing about this transfer is that it's a big gamble which can end up as a disaster. On the other end it could also end up being the reason why we have any success this season. The deal has happened all we can do now is seat and hope it pays off.
What gamble? We'll not get a return on a 160k per year player? If so all our recent players are gambles.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United

Actually I see a plan in Cavani. This summer we've signed O'Neill, Pellistri and Traore. These are 3 very promising players. Cavani is meant to act as a stop gap up until the latter two are old enough to allow Greenwood to play upfront. What worries me is that Cavani is not Ibra. He's nowhere near to what he used to be and his injuries are a concern.

red_de_pologne

he's been a free agent for months, of course we didn't plan to buy him. As panic and last minute as a panic last minute deal can be.

tjb

there is a lie going round that he played 22 games and only got 7 goals, he only started 7 of 14 league games and 1 of his 3 ucl games. His injuries mixed with his poor relationship with neymar and tuchel caused him to miss time, not poor form.

Leethal

You've gone full twitter mode now. No such thing has happened.
Where am I wrong?

Why was Cavani still clubless as the window was about to shut?

Why did we have to wait to the last second to sign him?

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I get what people are getting pissy about but those people should grow up.

What exactly do you perceive we’ve fecked up? Not spunking £108m on Sancho? If that’s the case I don’t think we’ve fecked up at all, I think we’ve been quite sensible given our squad options.

For about the same money we’ve got a world class back up striker, a striker that can give us some real clever movement and physical presence in the opposition’s box when the game needs it.

We’ve added a good alternative to Pogba, who needs to sort his shit out.

We’ve got a good LB who can actually give us something extra in attack.

We’ve brought in a pretty exciting prospect in Traore and another winger.

We literally beefed up the whole squad instead of splashing our whole budget on one player for one position.

RkkMan

I mean lads cmon. He`s on circa 170k a week on a 1+1 year contract not a 3/4 year deal on 300k a week financially its such a low risk buy and to people saying he only scored 7 goals he was a sub to Icardi thats why his Goals per min ratio was still relatively high he`ll be a sub to Martial here but he`ll get a lot more games and do a much much much better job than Ighalo his pedigree will gain a lot more respect and people who`ve watched him know his off the ball movement is still very good and he`s definitely now slow these aesthetics merchants need to stop talking out of their ass. Fitness wise he may initially struggle but with 2/3 games he`ll get up to speed and you are in no position to complain about Cavani as a back up ST when the Champions of Europe have Choupo Moting as the back up to the best ST in the world.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I've had enough of pretending to be positive over the decisions the club makes.

With Moyes, I wanted Fergie to right, and was desperate for us not to employ a foreign manager. When we bought Di Maria and Falcao, it felt out of step with what Fergie would've done, but I convinced myself that it's good we're buying big names from abroad. With Mourinho, I convinced myself he won't be the negative, sour joyless man he had turned into.

This signing? I won't try to convince myself it's a shrewd move. We panicked and made a big name has-been signing on a free (yay) transfer. It's Falcao V2.

Mercurial

Half the posts in the thread
You are sucking the air out of this thread for everyone else, you made your point already give it a rest, go for a walk or something to calm your nerves a bit mate.

fps

So, when does he start? Is he cover, an alternative, a first teamer, or just there to kick Martial on when he needs a kick? On the plus side I could see him in a 2 up front system with one of Martial and Rashford benefiting.

tombombadil

there is a lie going round that he played 22 games and only got 7 goals, he only started 7 of 14 league games and 1 of his 3 ucl games. His injuries mixed with his poor relationship with neymar and tuchel caused him to miss time, not poor form.
Also the fact that he declared that he would not renew his contract towards the end of the season didn't help at all.

Leethal

I mean lads cmon. He`s on circa 170k a week on a 1+1 year contract not a 3/4 year deal on 300k a week financially its such a low risk buy and to people saying he only scored 7 goals he was a sub to Icardi thats why his Goals per min ratio was still relatively high he`ll be a sub to Martial here but he`ll get a lot more games and do a much much much better job than Ighalo his pedigree will gain a lot more respect and people who`ve watched him know his off the ball movement is still very good and he`s definitely now slow these aesthetics merchants need to stop talking out of their ass. Fitness wise he may initially struggle but with 2/3 games he`ll get up to speed and you are in no position to complain about Cavani as a back up ST when the Champions of Europe have Choupo Moting as the back up to the best ST in the world.
Choupo Moting was starting over Cavani, too. So that makes your analogy even worse.

Nickelodeon

I think he's been unfairly compared with Falcao primarily due to age, transfer fee (or lack thereof), CONMEBOL affiliation, French league, goal hungry to has-been and the hair.

So essentially anything which isn't related to his recent footballing performances, playing style or ability. I'm not saying that he would be amazing but I think he needs to given a chance before categorizing him with duds based on semi-formed viewpoints.

Hardly any of us have seen him play in the recent past, which might be damning in itself, but that doesn't mean that he should be declared a failure pre-maturely.