Edinson Cavani - Manchester United Player

Foxbatt

The first ball he doesn't control, he will be called a donkey and worse than Lukaku.

Denis79

The first ball he doesn't control, he will be called a donkey and worse than Lukaku.
He will be under scrutiny no doubt. He picked the worst time to come here, We're playing badly so far, many fans and newspapers are unhappy about our transfer window and the fanbase is divided.

He's not a player who can carry a team, if the players around him aren't functioning, neither will he. It can turn ugly quickly.

He will be under scrutiny no doubt. He picked the worst time to come here, We're playing badly so far, many fans and newspapers are unhappy about our transfer window and the fanbase is divided.

He's not a player who can carry a team, if the players around him aren't functioning, neither will he. It can turn ugly quickly.
Alternatively, if he bangs in a couple early on then he can lift the club massively.

Kaos

Alternatively, because our expectations and enthusiasm for the current season have completely taken a nose dive, we could end up getting pleasantly surprised. Compare it to when we signed Falcao - there was a huge buzz at the club since we were all expecting a world class forward in his prime, only to belatedly realise he was completely a spent force. The difference is no one is expecting anything from Cavani, and the fanbase is pretty much unanimously in agreement that he was a desperate panic signing. By some twisted logic that could work in his favour if he feels he has something to prove to quash the cynicism surrounding this signing.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I thought the Caf make him out to be some clumsy oaf? :drool:
People who never watched him play thought he was target man like hoof the ball type target man.

Zlatans Knee

There is a clip on YouTube that I can't post because I am still a newbie. It is called "Have you seen Edinson Cavani passing!?" I think this is the thing that most fills me with hope that he can be a really shrewd signing. He has so much awareness.
I posted on another thread as well that Martial had another shocker last night playing for France. They even suspected that he was injured. He wasn't. No idea what has happened to him. But if Cavani can get fit and stay fit I think he can make a big difference to our attack by being able to hold the ball up and bringing others into play. I think we will see a big difference in consistency as well. I love Martial when he is on his game but it can be difficult to depend on him.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It’s funny that people are realising how good he was in his prime. There was a comment on the cafe a couple of years ago that said Troy Deeney is a better striker than Cavani

sugar_kane

Growing more hopeful about this transfer.

We really lack any sort of senior experience in the squad so hopefully he will bring something that we’re lacking to the dressing room.

Pogba was at his best when Zlatan was around, and while Cavani might not quite be Zlatan he has a strong pedigree which we’re lacking right now.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It’s funny that people are realising how good he was in his prime. There was a comment on the cafe a couple of years ago that said Troy Deeney is a better striker than Cavani
Lazy narratives in football are so powerful. Despite putting up mental numbers his entire career — 341 goals and 65 assists in 556 club appearances and 50 goals in 116 national team matches — Cavani was routinely seen by the average fan as some above-average striker who “misses a lot”. And most of it stemmed from seeing him play football once a year in the CL against an English side.

CG1010

Growing more hopeful about this transfer.

We really lack any sort of senior experience in the squad so hopefully he will bring something that we’re lacking to the dressing room.

Pogba was at his best when Zlatan was around, and while Cavani might not quite be Zlatan he has a strong pedigree which we’re lacking right now.
Yeah I have been saying for long that an experienced pro might bring a lot of balance to our very young attack. Like Giggs in his last few years. Sanchez could have been that person had he not replaced our main players but played alongside them. And wasn't shit.

iHicksy

Lazy narratives in football are so powerful. Despite putting up mental numbers his entire career — 341 goals and 65 assists in 556 club appearances and 50 goals in 116 national team matches — Cavani was routinely seen by the average fan as some above-average striker who “misses a lot”. And most of it stemmed from seeing him play football once a year in the CL against an English side.
They're even more prevalent on this forum when people don't watch them week in week out. Posters seem to think if a player wasn't a huge success at barca or madrid then they are a "reject" and not worth our time.
Then as soon as they come to us, suddenly youtube clips come out and people change their narrative. It's one of the most annoying things about football forums online. Just look at the likes of Bale and James Rodriguez, if you listened to people on here they are worthless players. They seem to forget that Bale comes on in a CL final after hardly playing and scores two goals, one being world class and looks like the best player on a pitch of stars. Likewise, Rodriguez has come to the PL and in literally no time at all has set the place alight with his performances as an inside right forward. And he was a free transfer for god sake, both players would walk in to our team and most teams in the league and be in the top 2 or 3 performers in said team yet posters here think they are past it. It's laughable how dismissive people are. I don't know if it's a FIFA generation thing or what.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
That's where Ole comes in. It's his job to manage a squad and maximise performances. He's been lauded by many for his man management skills.
It's probably a lot easier to man manage the squad when there's no competition for places. This is where top managers earn their bread and butter by keeping everyone motivated. Got a sneaky feeling Ole is going to fail miserably at it. Hope I'm wrong.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Which was weird as he’s done well against English sides!

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Just saw his idol growing up was Batigol. Good enough me to declare his signing a success.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
They're even more prevalent on this forum when people don't watch them week in week out. Posters seem to think if a player wasn't a huge success at barca or madrid then they are a "reject" and not worth our time.
Then as soon as they come to us, suddenly youtube clips come out and people change their narrative. It's one of the most annoying things about football forums online. Just look at the likes of Bale and James Rodriguez, if you listened to people on here they are worthless players. They seem to forget that Bale comes on in a CL final after hardly playing and scores two goals, one being world class and looks like the best player on a pitch of stars. Likewise, Rodriguez has come to the PL and in literally no time at all has set the place alight with his performances as an inside right forward. And he was a free transfer for god sake, both players would walk in to our team and most teams in the league and be in the top 2 or 3 performers in said team yet posters here think they are past it. It's laughable how dismissive people are. I don't know if it's a FIFA generation thing or what.
They did the same with Lukaku and, it turned out, they were right with their original assessment. Most wanted Di Maria and Sanchez from the moment we were linked, but they were wrong. Same for many others. Not every player is going to be a hit here.

I'm not saying this with regards to Cavani, because I'm torn on how I think he'll do. Somewhere between decent if he's fit to absolute waste of time if he isn't.

But I was against us signing the 3 names that I mentioned and, like you, I was also annoyed to see people reeling out YouTube highlights and getting over excited about a player, but for a different reason...because you just knew they weren't the right fit for United and it wouldn't work. Fast forward a few months and you've then got people questioning how the club could get it so wrong.

croadyman

Does anyone think Utd will find a loophole for Cavani not to have to self isolate,my gut feeling is absolutely no chance because there is no case.

ash_86

Why can't they just take a corona test and let him play? If he doesn't have the Virus ,why must he self isolate?

Yagami

Good post resistant
I used to watch a lot of PSG for Pastore and, to a lesser extent, Verratti, and I was always surprised at how underwhelming he looked in general considering his hype aside from the odd wonder goal after countless misses. That was him around his prime.

Marcus

I am excited with this signing. He could definitely mentor Greenwood to improve his heading.

Micky Targaryen

I hope you are either kidding or that poster has been banned for eternity.

tombombadil

Does anyone think Utd will find a loophole for Cavani not to have to self isolate,my gut feeling is absolutely no chance because there is no case.
thought he was in self isolation?
I have no idea if that was real (I don't think those look like United training kits, though), but I'd imagine in a time sensitive situation like this, the club would rather pay for blood tests to get him out of isolation quicker.