Edinson Cavani - Manchester United Player

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Also I read from the article posted further up the thread which confirms he will be training at OT as Internationals continue:
Edinson Cavani also revealed that he’s asked the Uruguayan national team not to be in the squad for the next few games, as all of his teammates are playing with their teams, and he’s still to enter the pitch this season.

That means he should join Manchester United’s squad before the end of the international break.

Bobski

At his best Cavani was an oustanding target man/channel runner. I don't think he was ever an exceptional finisher, but his work-rate, running power, and all round game made him a proper handful. Depends on what he has left physically.

Daonico

I wonder why they didn’t keep him on as a backup to Mbappe but who knows?
He wanted to leave, he clearly wasn't happy at PSG anymore... he even refused the contract extension to be available for the last champions league matches.

He is not with the Uruguayan squad, and he didn't asked to be left out as I understand it, it was a bit mutual decision (him and the coaches) because he had no club, hasn't been playing at all. I think it was more on the coaches side than his.

Maybe there hasn't been much noise in terms of presentation because of some quarintine or something? he was in Uruguay, can he get in UK just like that?

I consider him a top profesional, I am sure he is as fit as an athlete can be training by himself, he will obviously lack match fitness.
By the way, it was revelead here that he had covid in this period that he was without club, so he also had to self isolate.

LoneStar

People saying free transfer, but how much did we pay the agent ? That along with his wages (again not sure how much) I’m guessing is going to be pretty hefty overall.

Regardless, it’s done now. Let’s hope he kicks on and can be impactful for us. Good luck to him.

Coops73

Well he’s here and though I’m not sure he’s ideal let’s hope he does well and gives his all, he does seem the sort of character who will do just that.

I’ll get behind him because it’s not his fault that the haphazard nature of our transfer window has made him look like a panic buy.

JG3001

If he can have the impact Zlatan had, then we can have no complaints.

I don’t think any fan here wants him to fail here, far from it, it’s just frustrating becoming the last big payday club...

RoyH1

Solid player that might still have a couple of seasons in the tank. Happy to have him here.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
If he can have the impact Zlatan had, then we can have no complaints.

I don’t think any fan here wants him to fail here, far from it, it’s just frustrating becoming the last big payday club...
If you know about Cavanis work ethic and professionalism, you'd know he's not treating this as some last pay day.

Art

Art the artist
If we get 20 goals from him this season, I think it'll be a good purchase.

ChaddyP

People saying free transfer, but how much did we pay the agent ? That along with his wages (again not sure how much) I’m guessing is going to be pretty hefty overall.

Regardless, it’s done now. Let’s hope he kicks on and can be impactful for us. Good luck to him.
its a free transfer meaning we didnt pay a club to cancel his contract. It never really meant that he came here to play for free with no added cost. It seems every player you get these days free transfer or not comes with agent fees attached.

Renegade

Think Cavani deserves so much more respect than a lot are giving him. Seeing Mark Goldbridge saying he'd rather we had signed JOSH KING for example. People talking like we'd bought in Shola Ameobi or somebody.

Cavani is an elite level striker. According to Wikipedia he scored 200 goals in 301 games for PSG. That's an insane record. And this is someone being signed as backup. In 2018-19 he scored 27 goals in 42 games for club and country. But apparently he's "old and past it." He is younger than Jamie Vardy, still one of the best strikers in the Premier League. Younger than Luis Suarez. Only slightly older than Messi. Younger than Ronaldo. Younger than Giroud who still does a job.

And he's being written off as "injury prone" too. 301 appearances for PSG over 7 seasons. Average 42 games a season. Yet people are referring to him as some kind of Jack Wilshere or Andy Carroll type. Gareth Bale barely played last season yet Spurs are hyped over his signing.

People even angry that he gets the number 7 shirt as though he doesnt deserve it. Again he's an elite striker and is a massive upgrade on Ighalo.

It can't be good for our players if half the fans almost seem to want them to fail.
No one is questioning his credentials. This kind of post could have be used for Falcao before he moved here. Higuain is younger than Cavani and has great goalscoring record too, would you recommend we sign him as back up too?

Cavani May do well, but people are allowed to be skeptical. I doubt you’d here many complaints if he was signed alongside a suitable signing for the RW.

CiroDiMarzio

No one is questioning his credentials. This kind of post could have be used for Falcao before he moved here. Higuain is younger than Cavani and has great goalscoring record too, would you recommend we sign him as back up too?
I don't think there there is much comparison between Higuain and Cavani. Cavani is a monster athlete, a model professional and an absolute workhorse. Higuain is.....well Higuain.

LoneStar

its a free transfer meaning we didnt pay a club to cancel his contract. It never really meant that he came here to play for free with no added cost. It seems every player you get these days free transfer or not comes with agent fees attached.
But didn’t we pay some exorbitant agent fee on this? 10M or something, that’s crazy money for an agent.

Foxbatt

Think Cavani deserves so much more respect than a lot are giving him. Seeing Mark Goldbridge saying he'd rather we had signed JOSH KING for example. People talking like we'd bought in Shola Ameobi or somebody.

Cavani is an elite level striker. According to Wikipedia he scored 200 goals in 301 games for PSG. That's an insane record. And this is someone being signed as backup. In 2018-19 he scored 27 goals in 42 games for club and country. But apparently he's "old and past it." He is younger than Jamie Vardy, still one of the best strikers in the Premier League. Younger than Luis Suarez. Only slightly older than Messi. Younger than Ronaldo. Younger than Giroud who still does a job.

And he's being written off as "injury prone" too. 301 appearances for PSG over 7 seasons. Average 42 games a season. Yet people are referring to him as some kind of Jack Wilshere or Andy Carroll type. Gareth Bale barely played last season yet Spurs are hyped over his signing.

People even angry that he gets the number 7 shirt as though he doesnt deserve it. Again he's an elite striker and is a massive upgrade on Ighalo.

It can't be good for our players if half the fans almost seem to want them to fail.
Please we do not want Dave from Newcastle to get involved in this. So better keep Ameobi out of this.

CiroDiMarzio

But didn’t we pay some exorbitant agent fee on this? 10M or something, that’s crazy money for an agent.
Pretty much all agent fees are exorbitant. There's very selective reporting when it comes to agent fees, particularly when it comes to journos looking to exaggerate the cost of Utd's dealings.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
If this was signed months ago, I’m sure you will find very little people moan about it. But because it’s a last minute signing, you just know he wasn’t the primary target and it makes it like a panic buy. There is no reason why would we chose to wait until last minute to sign player who has been free agent for 8 months.

On the positive note, he’s an upgrade of Ighalo as we need to upgrade him because Ighalo isn’t good enough as part of rotation for CL games. He offers different dimension that none of our attackers have and also means now we have our plan B. Can’t wait to see him scoring headers from crossing & set pieces of Telles & Bruno. Something we haven’t done enough last season.

LoneStar

Pretty much all agent fees are exorbitant. There's very selective reporting when it comes to agent fees, particularly when it comes to journos looking to exaggerate the cost of Utd's dealings.
I was more commenting on agent fees in general. It’s crazy money for an intermediary.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

Simon stone denied the hefty fees.

he mentioned the fees agent isn’t up to 10m as per reported and wages doesn’t go beyond the club’s pay structure

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
To save on wages? :wenger:

Sorry, I know that doesn't fit the incompetent executive narrative.
It doesn’t make sense. Other clubs could snatch him away from our hand, are we not aware of that possibility? And also it would have better to have him join in training earlier since he had zero football match since March.

Foxbatt

He certainly is going to be a handful for the opposing defenders.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks

Day with Cavani at PSG pre season last year for people who want to know what type personality he has off the pitch (there is CC button available for english translation). It seems he's getting along with Herrera, I can already imagine him, DDG & Mata sitting on the team bus and joking around.
Good vid. He's usually come across as a sound guy.
Just hope he fits in with our lot.

LJJT

Think we can only judge how he’s going to go after a month or so. If he can be 80% of the player he was in the past it’s a great signing and he gives us totally different options and way of playing. He can dominate in the air and physically push defences deeper rather than the tica taca we try to play round the edge of the box each game now which generally gets us no where or a penalty if lucky

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Cavani is a World class player with a strong mentality. Tough bugger with skill. And he’s an intelligent player. His goal scoring record speaks for itself, one of the World’s top strikers over the past decade. He’s never relied on his pace, so despite his age if he’s fit he should still offer something to the squad we didn’t have before. I don’t think it’s fair to categorize the signing as a panic buy because Cavani is exactly the type of signing we required (unless we’ve been trying to sign Kane..). Shame we didn’t add a World class center back as well!!

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
It doesn’t make sense. Other clubs could snatch him away from our hand, are we not aware of that possibility? And also it would have better to have him join in training earlier since he had zero football match since March.
Nah. Only a couple of clubs (Atletico Madrid and Benfica was it?) were in for him and they weren't able to accomodate his wage demands. No one else had expressed interest so we were probably thinking about it and that it could be done quickly if needed.

Having him around to train would have been ideal but it's not like he's going to come in looking like a mid 70s Marlon Brando, the dude is incredibly fit.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Nah. Only a couple of clubs (Atletico Madrid and Benfica was it?) were in for him and they weren't able to accomodate his wage demands. No one else had expressed interest so we were probably thinking about it and that it could be done quickly if needed.

Having him around to train would have been ideal but it's not like he's going to come in looking like a mid 70s Marlon Brando, the dude is incredibly fit.
OHHH. Ed Woodward masterclass plan.

Tapori

Cavani is a World class player with a strong mentality. Tough bugger with skill. And he’s an intelligent player. His goal scoring record speaks for itself, one of the World’s top strikers over the past decade. He’s never relied on his pace, so despite his age if he’s fit he should still offer something to the squad we didn’t have before. I don’t think it’s fair to categorize the signing as a panic buy because Cavani is exactly the type of signing we required (unless we’ve been trying to sign Kane..). Shame we didn’t add a World class center back as well!!
I think he might surprise us and others if he is fit and plays in the CL.

Could make the difference on tight matches where opportunities need to be created out of nothing.

littleman

At his peak, which was years ago, he's probably the best player on the team.

Right now though, I think he'll just have to share the space with Martial/Greenwood in front, which is a good deal for us.