Edinson Cavani - Manchester United Player

Velvet Revolver

Totally agree. I started following united after watching Cantona strutting around old trafford with his collars up donning number 7 shirt. So for me United, number 7 and greatness and synonymous with each other.
We all fell in love with the game but the game has changed and the audience has changed along with it. Romanticism was key , now it is all stats and xg and other nuances which are phycho analyzed to the core. Not saying it's wrong or right but it's a new era of football and its not right in saying one is better over the other. Fans could care less if #7 was given to a reserve goal keeper.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He looked far sharper than Falcao at the same stage. I think he's gonna start banging them in soon
Falcao was coming off 2 long term knee injuries, he had to completely change his game, which he later did at Monaco. Cavani just hadn’t played for a while. Totally different circumstances.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I've never been so conflicted over a penalty. My thought process jumped between...

"Let Martial score and gain some confidence."

"Let Cavani score his first goal."

"Let Rashford get a hat-trick."

"Be a prick and tell them all to step away, Bruno!"
I was for the last. I don't like that "let me take it, i got a baby, i need a goal, i am new in the club etc..".

NoneBmStore

Had we lost the Chelsea and Leipzig games, but his performance been the same, he would have been labelled Falcani, called slow and even ugly.

James Peril

Had we lost the Chelsea and Leipzig games, but his performance been the same, he would have been labelled Falcani, called slow and even ugly.
Tad harsh perhaps, but so were the overreactions for missing a flick at goal vs. Chelsea and basically not touching the ball the few minutes he was on the pitch. Hoping for glory here, he is a beautiful man, but with our approaches the last few games he won’t have much to work with in the opposition half.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I can see him starting the last two group games if we have already qualified and possibly the game against Istanbul at home as well but can see us going with Mason & Marcus from the start on Sunday
Can see him start all 4 of the last CL games tbh. Definitely should start vs Istanbul as we are in a great position in the group and he's the perfect option for those games, while our league games are still tough and we need Rashford fresh. I'd guess Martial and Cavani midweek after Rashford and Greenwood this weekend, and then martial and Rashford next weekend. Then after international break we go Cavani and Greenwood in CL and Rashford/Martial in PL. We'll qualify with 2 wins vs Istanbul, and Greenwood/Cavani I think could work really well together to get us goals in those.

Red_toad

No team training for 10 days still sets him back
Ronaldo's just had 19 days away and he's going straight back in. I don't see 10 days affecting him very much he looks after himself. Player get injured all the time and have a week not exercising fully nor partaking in practice sessions, unless it's numerous weeks/months it doesn't seem to affect them much.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Ronaldo's just had 19 days away and he's going straight back in. I don't see 10 days affecting him very much he looks after himself. Player get injured all the time and have a week not exercising fully nor partaking in practice sessions, unless it's numerous weeks/months it doesn't seem to affect them much.
Ronaldo is different. Juventus need him back and in the XI desperately, Pirlo has had a very bad start.

Can see him start all 4 of the last CL games tbh. Definitely should start vs Istanbul as we are in a great position in the group and he's the perfect option for those games, while our league games are still tough and we need Rashford fresh. I'd guess Martial and Cavani midweek after Rashford and Greenwood this weekend, and then martial and Rashford next weekend. Then after international break we go Cavani and Greenwood in CL and Rashford/Martial in PL. We'll qualify with 2 wins vs Istanbul, and Greenwood/Cavani I think could work really well together to get us goals in those.
It could work well. Rashers and Martial rested because we are playing the weakest team. If we win those, we’ve pretty much qualified, so he can play the last 2 games as well.

By then, with some league minutes we will have an idea of how good he is, and how much he can contribute.

Red_toad

Ronaldo is different. Juventus need him back and in the XI desperately, Pirlo has had a very bad start.
Sorry did I state he'd be starting over Shaw?

Just to clear up your misconception, he'll be fit enough to resume bench duties.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Would love it if it was Rashford-Cavani-Greenwood on Sunday. I think he's ready to start, and I just get the feeling he'll dick Arsenal.

EngimaMK

We all fell in love with the game but the game has changed and the audience has changed along with it. Romanticism was key , now it is all stats and xg and other nuances which are phycho analyzed to the core. Not saying it's wrong or right but it's a new era of football and its not right in saying one is better over the other. Fans could care less if #7 was given to a reserve goal keeper.
COULDN'T care less.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
No team training for 10 days still sets him back
Getting fit and then having to isolate is a lot different than not being fit and then missing the first 10 days or so like Pogba did.

Once you're up to fitness it's much easier to maintain it than gain it.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Sorry did I state he'd be starting over Shaw?

Just to clear up your misconception, he'll be fit enough to resume bench duties.
Just to clear up your misconception, I didn't say he wouldn't. I said hel be set back with 10 days away from team training. Never said he wouldn't make a bench spot, or even insinuated it.

Red_toad

Just to clear up your misconception, I didn't say he wouldn't. I said hel be set back with 10 days away from team training. Never said he wouldn't make a bench spot, or even insinuated it.
Oh dear :rolleyes:.

If 'he's set back' then obviously you're insinuating there's an issue with him returning.

But enough of derailing the thread...

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Oh dear :rolleyes:.

If 'he's set back' then obviously you're insinuating there's an issue with him returning.

But enough of derailing the thread...
If he's set back, it means he's not fit enough to start games straight away as he was before the test. Which you obviously agree with.

Give up, lad.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
It reminded me of Chris Eagles closing out a game against Everton at Goodison a decade and a bit ago. A different type of goal, just the timing, the feeling.

MissKatie

Supports
Northampton Town
Really pleased for him and that placed finish was great!
No he's not going to be banging in 30 goals but he'll get at least 10 and be a massive positive

nainaisson

Now that Cavani's starting to look like his old self again, I hope we see a front 3 of Martial, Cavani, Rashford soon.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Now that Cavani's starting to look like his old self again, I hope we see a front 3 of Martial, Cavani, Rashford soon.
If we start with any 3 from the following 4 (Martial, Rashford, Cavani, Greenwood) then it's paramount we play 2 defensive minded CM's like we have been doing of late.

No place for Pogba or Donny if we play that way in other words. Only from the bench.

Okey

If we start with any 3 from the following 4 (Martial, Rashford, Cavani, Greenwood) then it's paramount we play 2 defensive minded CM's like we have been doing of late.

No place for Pogba or Donny if we play that way in other words. Only from the bench.
I know Donny is no DM but I thought he was supposed to be able to play deeper? Potentially as part of a double pivot? I'm guessing he hasn't shown he can do that in training, otherwise we'd have seen it on the pitch. Anyway, yeah can't wait to see more of Big Edi...

TheGame

I know Donny is no DM but I thought he was supposed to be able to play deeper? Potentially as part of a double pivot? I'm guessing he hasn't shown he can do that in training, otherwise we'd have seen it on the pitch. Anyway, yeah can't wait to see more of Big Edi...
He started there in one game and looked good but then got taken off. I think against defensive teams, he should be playing there as we don't need two holding players.

Buffalo Bills

Hoping that Cavani gets more game time. Admit that I didn't think that he was a player that I particularly wanted at the club, but now that he's here I kinda like the cut of his jib.

RkkMan

Choupo Moting was starting over Cavani, too. So that makes your analogy even worse.
Is my analogy still bad? Absolutely ridiculous that you not only wrote off a class player like Cavani before he even touched a ball but you also made it look like he`s somehow worse than Choupo fecking Moting

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
He will need to be managed, so I still expect to see him on the bench quite a bit, but its great to see Cavani in a United shirt.

If he never plays again he's already proved his worth, in showing us all how clearly we go up a level as a team when we have a real centre forward in there.

Champagne Football

Our supposed nightmare transfer window is suddenly looking like a considerable success. Cavani and Van de Beek are becoming increasingly more influential. If Diallo can be a big success, then we'll be able to look back at that transfer window very fondly.

Foxbatt

He will need to be managed, so I still expect to see him on the bench quite a bit, but its great to see Cavani in a United shirt.

If he never plays again he's already proved his worth, in showing us all how clearly we go up a level as a team when we have a real centre forward in there.
According to the experts and former strikers he has the best movement in as a striker. As long as we get the ball in those areas he is going to score.
I don't think any of our other strikers would have scored those two goals. They would have never even got close to the ball. Credit to Ole for bringing him on at half time.

RkkMan

Our supposed nightmare transfer window is suddenly looking like a considerable success. Cavani and Van de Beek are becoming increasingly more influential. If Diallo can be a big success, then we'll be able to look back at that transfer window very fondly.
I love the look of Telles as well he`s been putting in solid performances and has very good deliveries thats 3/5 of our summer signings that are looking good. As you said if Diallo settles as well as Pellistri our summer will look much better than we thought