Edinson Cavani - Manchester United Player

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Thanks for the info. In short then, do you think he physically is still in decent shape and can have an 'Ibra' like effect on the side?
I think him having a break might be a good thing. The cumulative effect of years and years of high-intensity football was obviously starting to take its toll on his body in the last year or so. Maybe the break will have done him some good to properly recover.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Were like a retirement home for past super stars.

Schweinsteiger
Falcao
Zlatan
Cavani

I'd have loved all of them in their Prime. But hey. We get them when they are old

Guess it means there is hope for Wesley Schneijder yet. Woohooo

I mean I hope he does well but feck me its underwhelming and another plaster over a massive deep seeping wound
Is Gaitan over the age of 30 yet?

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
I don't, no, but the supposition is that the negotiating team fecked up big time thinking a) there was time to negotiate and b) Dortmund would drop their asking price near the end of the window. They didn't even bother to engage them before that deadline as far as I can tell. Shambolic.
At least we can stop using covid as an excuse. We are a fecking donkey.

Kaos

Those of you expecting an Ibrahimovic style signing are in for a rude awakening.

Ibra joined on the back of a season where he scored 50 goals, and happens to be a real physical freak. Cavani has probably played as much professional football this year as any one of us and hasn't played a game in 6 months.

Berbaclass

He's a forward, forwards can play in multiple positions.
Cavani can play in all positions in the front 3.
If you play Cavani and Martial in their best positions you are then left with Rashord for the right...
He is but he's right-footed so is much better on the left cutting inside onto his right.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
Were like a retirement home for past super stars.

Schweinsteiger
Falcao
Zlatan
Cavani

I'd have loved all of them in their Prime. But hey. We get them when they are old

Guess it means there is hope for Wesley Schneijder yet. Woohooo

I mean I hope he does well but feck me its underwhelming and another plaster over a massive deep seeping wound
What about Larsson, Sheringham, Blanc? Everyone on the negative train today.

Eddy_JukeZ

Those of you expecting an Ibrahimovic style signing are in for a rude awakening.

Ibra joined on the back of a season where he scored 50 goals, and happens to be a real physical freak. Cavani has probably played as much professional football this year as any one of us and hasn't played a game in 6 months.
Yeah I wouldn't expect that. If he can somehow manage half of what Ibra did, it'd be a massive success.

Sparky Rhiwabon

He's a forward, forwards can play in multiple positions.
Cavani can play in all positions in the front 3.
If you play Cavani and Martial in their best positions you are then left with Rashord for the right...
That’s just shoehorning players in, out of their best position. He’s not a right winger and he’s useless there. For whatever reason we’ve not signed one, so it’s Greenwood or James.

Noc-Z

ffs
On paper Cavani, Rashford, Martial and Greenwood look a match for the fabled front four of Cole, Yorke, Solskjaer and Sheringham.
I can't believe you're serious. You really believe that?

Genuine question, did you watch a lot of Cole, Yorke, Solskjaer and Sheringham?

Anyway don't want to derail the thread, that just shocked me!

Cavani is a terrible signing. Awful. But I'm a fan so I'm hoping to be surprised.

Should have signed a RW and used Greenwood as a ST.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Thanks for the info. In short then, do you think he physically is still in decent shape and can have an 'Ibra' like effect on the side?
I don't know, I'm curious to see. The lack of Football makes it difficult to judge him but personally I think that he was at the same level than Icardi.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I feel sorry for him already.

Much like Fellaini was tarred with the Moyes brush and couldn't ever shake it regardless, I think he will be the Woodward poster boy if he is even slightly not incredible.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Why is that? Injured? If not, has he even been playing reserve games?!?

Hansa

starman

That’s just shoehorning players in, out of their best position. He’s not a right winger and he’s useless there. For whatever reason we’ve not signed one, so it’s Greenwood or James.
Well that what's happening with Greenwood and Martial in order to play Rashford on the left, with Cavani we now have a proper CF

roonaldo78

Looking forward to seeing him play, better option than playing Ighalo up front who should never really been brought in.

Hope Cavani does well. He will also offer aerial ability so perhaps might benefit from having someone like Telles crossing.

Zoo

They announce the deal and don’t even give us one picture.

Foxbatt

To be honest we need a bit of stardust and Cavani ticks that box. We have some genuinely great footballers but I’m not sure any of them - until now - have that little bit of something that the likes of Cavani possess.

You wait until he gets his first goal in front of a packed Stratford End, the roof will come off Old Trafford. He looks the part, has swagger and will work his nuts off. He’s not for the long term but could just add that bit of swashbuckling glamour that’s missing at the minute.

Yes, he’s a risk and could be another Falcao but equally he could be Cantona like and be the catalyst that changes the direction of our season. I wouldn’t write him off and look forward to seeing what he can do.
I am sure the stadium sound will cheer him like mad. :)
That said I agree with you he is something we need. Not Cavani necessarily but someone like him. He is a great CF, good in the air and can hold up play and would not be bullied by CBs. If only Ole would play him and Martial up together a bit closer he is going to create those chances for Martial to run on to.

ti vu

Why is that? Injured? If not, has he even been playing reserve games?!?
Covid break, then end of contract. Burning bridge with PSG, so they didn't need him for their CL run in or let him to access their facility to train.

Eddy_JukeZ

Very valid point. Not sure why Ibra is even in that list when he scored almost 30 goals for us and scored the winner in a cup final?
Yeah Ibra being in that list makes no sense.

If he didn't get injured and Jose managed him better, he could have hit 35 goals +.

AFC NimbleThumb

I’ve always been a fan so I like the signing in & of itself but him in addition to an RW [not necessarily Sancho, a number of RWs have moved in the past 12 months] would be good business.

I think he will surprise people on the whole, a proper CF will do us good in certain situations but we didn’t concede 6 on Sunday because Cavani wasn’t in the team.

He’s not even a plaster over our biggest issues.

Renegade

It’s not about his age! It’s the injuries and lack of football! If his still the same player then great we’ve got a good deal. I’m certain we’re paying him as if his still the same player.

There’s a reason he wasn’t snapped up by anyone. So I don’t understand why people are acting like posters are over reacting by being underwhelmed.

Surely off all fanbases we’ve got good reason to be concerned considering our fairly recent experience’s with Bastian,Falcao & Sanchez. Is it really that much of a suprise that people may be wary of this deal.

K_Ash

He has not played a game in 6 months! he will not start in 2 weeks..Perfect Opportonuty to deploy Diamond Midfield with Rashord&Greenwood upfront.

Berbaclass

Harry Redknapp - "Long term, is her better than Greenwood or Rashford? I'm not sure..."

Feck sake :lol:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
With my optimistic hat on, a good long break could be handy for a 33 year old. Rest and allow long term niggles to fully heal up. So long as his return to full fitness is carefully handled. He’s always looked in excellent shape, so hopefully didn’t spend lockdown eating fistfuls of banana bread like the rest of us.

Tiber

This is a very fair comment and sums up my main issue with this deal

If United value Cavani and it wasn't pure desperation, why sign him now with a few hours left in the window when he has been on the market and actively offered to clubs for months.

Berbaclass

If United value Cavani and it wasn't pure desperation, why sign him now with a few hours left in the window when he has been on the market and actively offered to clubs for months.
We got a much better deal on his wages.

Kaos

My theory is we were never really serious about Sancho, so waited until the last minute to secure Cavani as some sort of consolation to appease the fans. Woodward probably thinks he's an untamed genius.