Edinson Cavani -real deal or shirt sales deal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maticmaker

I hope its not, but this looks like another 'Ed Special'... never mind what the team needs, think of the shirts we will sell?

DoomSlayer

Neither. Former world class player, turned into an injury-prone-crock-type of deal is more likely to be the case.

Woodward would call it a masterclass and say only he can deliver such amazing deals in the transfer market.

Red00012

Shirt sales for Cavani at 33 ? I don’t think so .

He’s no Zlatan.

Thread won’t last long

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Ok think of it this way, Ole loves strikers, he's told Ed and the other mugs "his views", Ole doesn't trust Ighalo much, they've got him a striker. What are the odds he wasn't ok with it?

I'm sure it's not his first choice but you've got to be realistic about signing a top striker in a pandemic who would be happy to be rotated in and out of the team. Shirt sales in South America probably don't figure all that much in the thinking if we're honest. They'll only be significant if he becomes an important player for us I would have thought. In which case the transfer is a success.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Shirt sales don't bring that much revenue to a club unless you have a special deal with a manufacturer like Juventus does. And even then I'm not sure if Cavani has enough personal fans (that follow him everywhere) to justify such a signing simply from a commercial perspective. You usually associate players like Ibra or Pogba (speaking about recent United signings) with those kind of deals; I guess Sanchez is kinda comparable, but he was joining us seemingly around his peak.

It's not like you can rationalise Ed's decisions though.

HowYouDoin

I think he will be one of the best strikers in the PL. This is a great deal. Not what we needed the most, thats RW, LB and you could argue some other positions too but Cavani will be a success.
If Zlatan is still tearing it up no reason why Cavani cant. He is 5 yrs younger and a physical beast in his own right. Not like Zlatan but still a beast and he is a very hard worker.

CG1010

Right we couldn't sell shirts with Pogba, Rashford and now Bruno's names on them.. hence needed to sign Cavani

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Strengthens the bench. Which is fine in itself, even if that means we're spending a lot in wages for two strikers to do just that.

The problem is that this summer should have seen us strengthen the first team (which still isn't good enough) and therefore strengthen the bench by pushing current first team options down the pecking order. None of our signings have done the former to any reliable degree, so their impact is always going to be limited.

flappyjay

It has nothing to with his name in football but everything to do with incompetent planning. If he was ever in our plans we wouldn't have been fighting foot and nail for Ighalo.

Skills

Snitch
Strengthens the bench. Which is fine in itself, even if that means we're spending a lot in wages for two strikers to do just that.

The problem is that this summer should have seen us strengthen the first team (which still isn't good enough) and therefore strengthen the bench by pushing current first team options down the pecking order. None of our signings have done the former to any reliable degree, so their impact is always going to be limited.
The two most upgradeable spots in the first team we haven't been interested in improving.

That's the CB and DM position. All Sancho would've done is relegate our 2nd best attacker (Greenwood) to the bench as Rashford is untouchable.

Maticmaker

Who's buying his shirt anyway? :wenger:

I don't think its going to be a considerable number of shirts/sales anyway..
Sorry, the bit about 'shirt sales' was meant to be ironic comment!
The question is, will this transfer a 'good/real deal'?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
It has nothing to with his name in football but everything to do with incompetent planning. If he was ever in our plans we wouldn't have been fighting foot and nail for Ighalo.
Aside from the fact that Ighalo’s initial loan ended before the season restarted, and months before the window opened.

Denis79

Most likely he'll be a Falcao or a Schweinsteiger rather than a Zlatan. Great player in his prime but he has passed it, is riddled with injuries and has not played a game since March.

Status
Not open for further replies.