Edwin van der Sar has been approached to become Director of Football

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Board member Pier Eringa : "We wanted Edwin to stay, but he had made his decision. We have to respect that. The last season does not reflect the entire period that he has been in charge of Ajax. The club has seen a lot of success, has seen a lot of growth, and gained international exposure. His tasks will be transferred to the remaining members of the board. Edwin will be available for the transfer and advise until August. We expect to announce a new Board of Directors after August 1. It's our ambition to add someone to the board with an Ajax background."

So he left by his own decision. But reading through this thread I thought people with pitchforks wanted him out.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I assume people still want him as Director of Football ignoring the fact that has not been his role at Ajax?

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
I thought the situation at Ajax was so bad that a player punched a fan. He is no Roberto Martinez to fail upwards.
Berghuis did punch a fan and that wasn't good but it was a a reaction after the fan threw a very offensive racial slur at Brian Brobbey calling him a "kankerzwarte" hard to translate that one but consider it to be a punchable offense.

bringbackbebe

Cannot be a worse option than we have in place currently, knows ETH and has a history of good understanding
We have Arnold, not Woodward. There is nothing to suggest Arnold has been bad and plenty to suggest the opposite.

Drainy

Board member Pier Eringa : "We wanted Edwin to stay, but he had made his decision. We have to respect that. The last season does not reflect the entire period that he has been in charge of Ajax. The club has seen a lot of success, has seen a lot of growth, and gained international exposure. His tasks will be transferred to the remaining members of the board. Edwin will be available for the transfer and advise until August. We expect to announce a new Board of Directors after August 1. It's our ambition to add someone to the board with an Ajax background."

So he left by his own decision. But reading through this thread I thought people with pitchforks wanted him out.
I imagine that the board are more rational than some randos sat around in their pants blasting their opinions onto the internet so will have considered how much squad attrition had impacted the quality this year and given him more time to fix it.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
VDS made his name at Ajax as CEO, not DOF. If we want a new DOF from Ajax, that Overmars guy is more like it.
Oh right I always forget the names of the positions of the unqualified people put in a higher up position due to their footballing careers :wenger:

Definitely sign Overmars, he will bring you that cocks out attitude you need to win prizes.

Revaulx

I think there's a consensus that the footballing decisions that have been made at Ajax since Overmars' sacking haven't been terribly good ones.

Presumably Edwin acknowledges that and believes that it's been largely his responsibility. So he's sort of the anti-Jose...

Adnan

Talent Spotter

He was a board of director and not a football director in most of his time at the club. And when Overmars left the club in disgrace, Van der Sar had a go at the football director role and made some dumb decisions that have contributed towards Ajax finishing 3rd. There was some decisions like giving Huntelaar a prominent role within the football structure when he had just retired from playing the game. The hiring of Schreuder and not appointing a DoF for well over year were poor decisions. But the worst one was when Van der Sar approached Johnny Heitinga to become the interim head coach and Heitinga respondended by saying he wasn't ready for such a role. VdS still went ahead and gave him the role.

There's a big difference between the board of directors and people who work within the football structure. A board of director shouldn't be getting involved on the football side when it comes making decisions or you end up with what happened at United and Ajax under Woodward and VdS.

The two departments that have been affected the most at Ajax are probably the recruitment departments both at youth and first team level. And the two people who head both those departments are Casimr Westerveld and Henk Veldmate. And it's people like Westerveld and Veldmate who have been running recruitment and identifying players for Overmars to sign.

klayton88

He sent dickpics to female members of staff. No way he can come here. He took up a position in Belgium and about 5 sponsors cancelled their contracts.
Never put your head in a dick pic fellas. Certainly not if it's somebody else's dick.

Bloedrood

Not that surprising, Ajax just had their lowest league finish in 13-14 years. Back then Ajax was in a major crisis, and Cruijff stepped in to fix it and installed Overmars and Van der Sar to do the job. But there's little left of the ideas they had back then and the continuity they were supposed to provide. The club is in a pretty big organisational crisis and with Van der Sar leaving it's left in the hands of a newly appointed DoF and headscout, both people from outside the club.

wimdebok

Supports
Ajax
I can not believe van der Sar will be the new CEO of Manchester United. He has never been comfortable in his role at Ajax and I think he is not suited for this job. He was invisible, a bad communicator and he was never there when it was needed.

Ten Hag and Overmars were the reasons Ajax doing well. As always it comes to the right persons at the right time.

Good to see Ten Hag doing well at Manchester United. He is a good and funny coach. Hope you win the FA cup!

Son

I’d stick with Arnold right now. He’s not done a bad job so far at all. Not a fan of hiring ex players gotta be said.

They are never best in class compared to other options never linked to us. If Cryuff ‘not his kid’ had played for us and was alive then yeah sure hire him. :lol:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I’d stick with Arnold right now. He’s not done a bad job so far at all. Not a fan of hiring ex players gotta be said.

They are never best in class compared to other options never linked to us. If Cryuff ‘not his kid’ had played for us and was alive then yeah sure hire him. :lol:
In Edwin's case he's apparently pretty good.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
It seems that the ex SAF players curse had caught up with VDS as well. Its amazing how at least 1 of three generations of WC players weren't able to become a WC football man after retiring

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
If he cannot handle Ajax he certainly isn't cut out for life at United as CEO
Not only that but reading those quotes it seems pretty obvious he himself doesn't like the pressure and doesn't even enjoy that kind of a role.

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen
He sent dickpics to female members of staff. No way he can come here. He took up a position in Belgium and about 5 sponsors cancelled their contracts.
And now they're close to winning their first championship since a very long time. New sponsors will come in their stead.

Bobade

It seems that the ex SAF players curse had caught up with VDS as well. Its amazing how at least 1 of three generations of WC players weren't able to become a WC football man after retiring
Is that amazing though? What are the chances someone would be a world class footballer, whilst also possessing the (completely different, with minor crossover) skillset to become a top exec?

Bobade

By all accounts the success was very much down to Overmars.
I don't know enough about it, to be honest. But I do feel there's a tendency for the guy at the top to be blamed when things go wrong, whilst receiving little credit when things go well. Feels unlikely that Overmars would have operated independently of his CEO to such an extent that the success was mainly down to him. Maybe he did.