EFL Trophy v Bradford City

GueRed

Hoogewerf makes it 3-0

Driving run through the middle and smashes the ball into the corner

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Hoogewerf's been great since he came on.

Drainy

Cracking finish from Hoogewerf, brilliant from Wellens to keep it going in the build up and Shoretire involved as usual these days.

Mickson

Decent performance. Cred to Wood for changing things up in the second half, rightly so because Bradford was poor tonight. Hoogewerf our best player, despite only playing 45 minutes. I thought Fernandez was good too.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Decent performance. Cred to Wood for changing things up in the second half, rightly so because Bradford was poor tonight. Hoogewerf our best player, despite only playing 45 minutes. I thought Fernandez was good too.
If Fernandez could defend he'd be an unbelievable prospect.

Thiagoal

Shoretire's touch for the 3rd goal was exquisite.
The kid is going to the top- he just oozes quality. Although he’s mainly been a striker/ number 10 for the youth teams I can see him playing deeper for the first team

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Agree with this. Both Hoogerwerf and Fernandez were the two best players on the pitch , especially Hoogerwerf who made a big difference in the second half.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Where can we see Shoretire ending up position wise? Is he more the Bruno role or Pogba or a KDB? What are your thoughts folks

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Hoogewerf keeps showing that he can be quite effective even against men. I do wonder when he'll get his time out on loan for first-team football. At this rate, he surely has to take the next step and play against men more often, no? I wonder if his lack of size is holding him back at the moment.

Mickson

Hoogewerf keeps showing that he can be quite effective even against men. I do wonder when he'll get his time out on loan for first-team football. At this rate, he surely has to take the next step and play against men more often, no? I wonder if his lack of size is holding him back at the moment.
A problem is that he hasn't cemented a place in the starting eleven, let alone being a key player. Not in the U18 before and not in the U23 now. He is very much in and out of the team. He has potential though, no doubt about that.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
A problem is that he hasn't cemented a place in the starting eleven, let alone being a key player. Not in the U18 before and not in the U23 now. He is very much in and out of the team. He has potential though, no doubt about that.
Yeah, that's what baffles me. I'm hoping he gets more consistent appearances this season, but that's still up in the air.

Bertie Wooster

Good 2nd half performance.

As others have said, Bradford were poor and we improved after the break with a great impact by Hoogewerf. And decent performances from the likes of Fernandez, Savage, Iqbal, Shoretire...

Also good to see Emeran make an appearance. Presumably he's been injured, as he doesn't seem to have been involved with the U23's so far.

Surprised Charlie McNeill didn't feature. He was a late sub for the U23's on Saturday and assisted the last minute winner. I assumed he'd be involved heavily tonight. Hopefully he hasn't picked up a knock as the U23's play again on Friday.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He’s only 18. He’s the same age group as Fernandez, Savage, Svidersky, Iqbal, Emeran, Hardley, Wellens etc. He’s barely even played u23s level. Why does he need a loan and not the others?

We virtually never send 18 year olds on loan anyway, Will Fish is the only one in years.

Bertie Wooster

He’s only 18. He’s the same age group as Fernandez, Savage, Svidersky, Iqbal, Emeran, Hardley, Wellens etc. He’s barely even played u23s level. Why does he need a loan and not the others?

We virtually never send 18 year olds on loan anyway, Will Fish is the only one in years.
Yeah, I think it's a little early to be talking about a loan for him.

He's only 18, and hasn't yet established himself with the U23's so hasn't 'outgrown' the level from an ability point of view. And certainly hasn't outgrown it from a physical point of view as he's only a small stature and doesn't scream out as physically ready for regular men's football yet. Certainly not in the EFL. Maybe a loan to a less physical league abroad next season?

But, so far, I think he still needs to establish himself at U21/U23 level with more quality performances similar to today's display.

Beaucoup

I heard that he wants to leave because he sees himself as striker

Sid234

What did those who watched the game think of Svidersky - He seemed like a very well rounded talent, good DM prospect?

Hoof the ball

What on earth? I thought Paul McShane was some new kid with the same name as our ex-defender. Horrified to learn that it's the old Paul McShane. Why? FFS, are we a charity now? :lol:

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
What exactly is the EFL Trophy and was that a full Bradford or their youth team?

Sid234

What on earth? I thought Paul McShane was some new kid with the same name as our ex-defender. Horrified to learn that it's the old Paul McShane. Why? FFS, are we a charity now? :lol:
We brought him back as a player/coach to help the players with in-game coaching. It's an interesting approach and it makes sense for younger players, specially defenders to have an experienced head to help coach them during games.

I would love to see Matic take on a similar role in the future if he is interested to help develop our midfielders and defenders.

IRN-BRUno

What exactly is the EFL Trophy and was that a full Bradford or their youth team?
It's a competition for League 1 & 2 teams with 16 Category One academy/U21 sides added, one in each group of 4.
It was pretty much their 2nd choice side. Made 9 changes from their game at the weekend and subbed the other 2 at HT.

Mickson

We brought him back as a player/coach to help the players with in-game coaching. It's an interesting approach and it makes sense for younger players, specially defenders to have an experienced head to help coach them during games.

I would love to see Matic take on a similar role in the future if he is interested to help develop our midfielders and defenders.
I think it's a good idea too. Especially when we lack CB's so it's not like he is taking up playing time from a talented youngster.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout

You're right, he is quite young and still has time. I'm just basing it on what I've seen of him. Whenever he's played, he's beaten the opposition defenders with relative ease, especially with his pace and quickness. Even against more senior footballers, he's been able to hold his own. Whilst another year with the U23s wouldn't be an issue, I would like him to leave on loan next season depending on how he does this season.

Bertie Wooster

What did those who watched the game think of Svidersky - He seemed like a very well rounded talent, good DM prospect?
I've seen Svidersky quite a lot, especially for the U18's.

He's a tidy enough, hard working defensive midfielder who reads the game quite well defensively and is a ball winner in midfield who has basic left footed distribution to get it to more attack minded teammates.

He's been solid enough at U18 and U23 level and performed his role well, but I don't see enough in him to make it at a club like United, personally.

But I'll also be interested to see how highly others rate his potential?

Last edited:

Demaw

I've seen Svidersky quite a lot, especially for the U18's.

He's a tidy enough, hard working defensive midfielder who reads the game quite well defensively and is a ball winner in midfield who has basic left footed distribution to get it to more attack minded teammates.

He's been solid enough at U18 and U23 level and performed his role well, but I don't see enough in him to make it at a club like United, personally.

But I'll also be interested to see how highly others rate his potential?
I think he has been with us 3 years and have watched him a lot in that time. I'm just not sure of his physical ability and speed to make it further. There were games where he was bullied and players easily went past him. Reminds me of Charlie Savage a bit in play. I don't see either of them going further with us.

Mickson

I think he has been with us 3 years and have watched him a lot in that time. I'm just not sure of his physical ability and speed to make it further. There were games where he was bullied and players easily went past him. Reminds me of Charlie Savage a bit in play. I don't see either of them going further with us.
A CM doesn't need to have speed, and the best rarely have speed. That is not Svidersky's problem although I agree that he isn't anything special. Svidersky and Savage are decent hard-working CM's but won't make it at United.