Eight games away from another disastrous season under Ole

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
I'm going to enjoy calling out all the Ole out brigade over the next few years.

They'll deserve every bit of stick coming their way too. Just a shame that they can't be prevented from enjoying any success we have under Ole as it would serve them right.

Ferguson was never a great tactician. He was one of the greatest man managers in football history though. How did that work out for him in terms of trophies and great football?

Amarsdd

Can I have some of what you're on?

This post is hilarious, do you really believe that Young is better than Shaw and Smalling better than Maguire? As for Sanchez being better than james, :lol:

Perhaps you should actually try watching some games, you will see just how wrong you are. Or is it just irrational Ole hate?
you surely don't want that. Look what it has done to his brain.

pascell

Awful lotta smacked arses around here. You can tell who didn't see before Fergie.
Even I didn't see us pre-Fergie but I can see the difference Ole has made since coming into the club. I have to admit that I wasn't sure Ole was the right appointment but his dealings in the transfer windows, bringing a togetherness and building confidence in the squad and player development, I can't see how some want him out if we don't get top 4.

Like others have said, there's too much entitlement with some of our fans nowadays.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

They'll deserve every bit of stick coming their way too. Just a shame that they can't be prevented from enjoying any success we have under Ole as it would serve them right.

Ferguson was never a great tactician. He was one of the greatest man managers in football history though. How did that work out for him in terms of trophies and great football?
I think that last part is harsh and Fergie was better tactically than people give him credit for, especially later in his career.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I was so happy about the game, the first thing I did to bring me down a notch was to go in here, look for the most miserable thread to visit and camp myself in it, refreshing the page every single minute until all the happiness I got from the game got drained out of me. Now I am back in my zone, comfortable in misery and it gives me the confidence to speak up. Hope I'm not alone. Peace.

alexthelion

I agree. Results wise not the best but it's the first time in years where I actually like the team and I am looking forward to the future. Ole might not stick around for long but he has set us up well.
Yep, that could very well be the hardest part of the job done (hopefully so).

Now, just improve RW and get even more quality in midfield and I can see us going places.

Tel074

After spending £200m though and an Ighalo loan surely 4th place is the expectation?

Improvement is the expectation .. If we get top 4 then amazing if we don't then as long as we can improve again in the summer then it's all good .
The abuse Ole gets on here from some is embarrassing. For some they just can't give the man any credit at all but I've stated lots that as long as we continue playing decent football and we keep improving United's match going fans won't turn on Ole

Sing you a song

Sorry. Forgot that everything is rosy and after 7 years of shit and a billion spent on transfers, I should be delighted that we are almost going to get into Champions League.
And was Ole responsible for the 7 years of shit ? And the billions spent on transfers ?
His buys are
Maguire... 1st time we have had a real leader as a captain since Keano
AWB ... not the finished article but fantastic prospect , our best right back since Gary.
James bought as a squad player and one for the future we’ve had more from him than anyone expected
Bruno I think we all agree this guy is a game changer and looks truly world class .
After all the wasted years since Fergie Ole has got the club back on track

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Just as a reminder. When Jose was sacked the table looked like the following:
Position​
Club​
Played​
Won​
Drew​
Lost​
Pts​
Goals For​
Goals Against​
Clean Sheets​
6th​
United​
17​
7​
5​
5​
26​
29​
29​
2​

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
And yet objectively speaking (results-wise), it has been the worst season post-Fergie. Today's victory does not change that.

I know that observing it locally, there are signs of progress. To be fair, the same could have been said for every season after SAF. Taking the entire season into consideration, it has been the same old shit, with worse results.

Of course, the season is yet to be finished and the things might change, but so far this season has been a bit crappy, 3-0 today or not.
I have a very different feeling at the moment compared to other post-SAF managers. A few additions over the summer and I think we have a potential far in advance that suggested by our current table position. And we are 13 unbeaten at the moment.

Revan

Assumptionman
I have a very different feeling at the moment compared to other post-SAF managers. A few additions over the summer and I think we have a potential far in advance that suggested by our current table position. And we are 13 unbeaten at the moment.
I don't particularly disagree that the feeling is better, but I would have said the same for every manager except Moyes (and even then, there was some tiny shiny periods). It looked that we were back when we demolished City, Liverpool and Spurs with Van Gaal, or when we won 2 cups with Mourinho, or last year for example when we went into that crazy series of wins. But it did not last long.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the match and we looked great. But honestly, we are on course for our worst ever season in EPL (in terms of points). Things are not great at all.

I think we should be delighted that we're starting to see an actual team forming that has the most potential of any team we've had for the last 7 years. We're not going to go from years of dog shit to champions in a season, it's obviously going to take time, but surely we can all see that there are a lot of signs right now that we're heading in the right direction? Yes we're miles off City and Liverpool, but should we sack Ole and half the team just to start over AGAIN because Ole hasn't made us the finished article in his first full season?

It also hasn't exactly been a season of trying to get a settled starting 11 to start playing good football either, it's been a major rebuild with players going in and out sprinkled with long term injuries to our best players.

It's worth considering that our current best starting 11 has played together for basically 100min in total so far.
I didn't ever mention sacking Ole. I am just saying that we are 37 points off top the table, on same points as mighty Wolves and 6 points below Leicester City. Doing mental gymnastics that this season (league-wise) has been anything short of total disaster is delusional.

And was Ole responsible for the 7 years of shit ? And the billions spent on transfers ?
His buys are
AWB ... not the finished article but fantastic prospect , our best right back since Gary.
James bought as a squad player and one for the future we’ve had more from him than anyone expected
Bruno I think we all agree this guy is a game changer and looks truly world class .
I don't see how we are really back on track, but I hope you are right. Every captain we had since Keano except Young and Valencia were more real leaders than Maguire (Neville, Giggs, Rio, Vida, Evra, Rooney), I rated Brown and Rafael higher than AWB, I think that James is meh, and I agree about Bruno. I don't think those 4 players were anywhere near 200m we paid for.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
After spending £200m though and an Ighalo loan surely 4th place is the expectation?
It's one thing improving the squad (and having to wait for the end of January for Bruno), but another thing also taking into account who we actually had available. Pogba injured after a few games and out for 90% of the season, leaving us without any creative players. No depth at all for Rashford and Martial until the deadline day of January. These are things we should've done in the summer, but we didn't and it's the reason why it's a question, but what is now important is that we are so much improved and playing well and getting better and better. There's no point in saying 4th is the expectation because of money spent when there's loads of variables that impact it. You don't just go and sack the manager if they finish 5th despite all the promising signs and improvement shown, once they had an actual squad to choose from and not the paper thing attacking set up we had for the first half of the season.

Beanz

Hilarious. I could maybe understand if fans were somewhat content with the season and were willin' to see it out but all this talk of the team now bein' far better than the one that finished second is pure delusion.

Ashley Young is a superior player to Shaw in every way so I don't see how he's deadwood. Smalling is at least as good as Maguire and even if you don't think so, he's better than our other options. He wasn't deadwood.
Lukaku was out only CF and we sold him for 20 less than we bought him. He was not deadwood. (please no rubbish about style of play, we still play the same way. Please no rubbish about 'but he wanted to leave'. Pogba is still here)
Sanchez is better than James and him leavin' on loan doesn't solve the issue of his wages.

Young players? Every manager since Fergie has blooded at least one. Januzaj, Rash and Lingard, then McTom and Tuanzebe now Brandon. So it can't or shouldn't be young players that makes Ole fans swoon.

As for this plan you guys all seem to be privy to. What is it? Does it involve buyin' the slowest CB in the league? If we're an attackin' team now why don't we have attackin' fallbacks? Why don't the forwards press? Please what is this plan?
Jesus , Just what I needed to draw me out of my post match glow:lol:

SteveW

This crap again.

treble_winner

Ole was and still is one of the luckiest coach I've met

Ability aside the timing of events is always on his side.
Then all the more reasons I want him as our manager. A manager's skills can be learned. Experience can be earned through years. But the type of luck that makes people feels like destiny has bestowed upon one... That cannot be taught. You are either blessed with it, or not. This may sound nonsense but hear me out a bit:

I know this has been discussed to death. But remember Sir Alex Ferguson's early years? He was also in the middle of a "process" of weeding out the bad eggs and rebuilding the dressing room's harmony. Guess what? His position was still under threat because the results were not ideal. No one cared about his "rebuilding" and just jumped on the results. Fergie was one FA Cup away from being sacked. His FA Cup trophy saved him some more time, and the rest was history. That's the type of "luck" which only the people "destined" for greatness can have.

I know most of you are sick of Jose Mourinho. But remember how his career rose to such great height? Scholes's wrongly-deemed offside goal against his Porto and then a freak mistake from our goalkeeper gifted Porto the ticket to next round. His Porto side won the Champions League that year when that should have been ours for the taking. This pushed Mourinho's status to the hottest, brightest young coach in Europe and made Abramovich bring him to Chelsea. The rest of Jose's career was history. Imagine without that freak win against us, would Mourinho have gotten such an ideal platform to raise his career to such heights? That's also the type of "luck" which only the people "destined" for greatness can have.

Now counting back to Ole's United career, he also got the type of luck that made events unfolded in his way uniquely. His first match as a caretaker manager was against Cardiff, the team that sacked him before. In his very first match, he managed both things: Scoring 5 goals for the first time in Premier League after Fergie's departure, hence evoking that nostalgic feeling from the fans. And he smashed Cardiff, which erased his inner ghost of disappointment from being sacked as a coach there. Our form being nosedived at the end of last season was public knowledge. But it lasted just long enough for him to complete the "miracle in Paris". A win so unreal that people got starry eyes for it, linking it back to his glorious Nou Camp night. "Solsa has won it, and you've heard that somewhere before". This match was the trigger that made United appointed him as the permanent manager because nostalgia all hit us hard. He made it in time JUST BEFORE our form dropped terribly. Do you often see this type of luck?

Now onto this season, we had a very rough beginning. Ole's seat was once again under threat. And just when things couldn't get hotter, United faced Tottenham and City back-to-back in the Premier League. Our side struggles against low-block team, but flies high against oppositions in top 6 because our counter-attack works well. Ole went from being under watch to beating both Mourinho and Pep in back-to-back matches, in a span of less than a week. This made the pressure on him reduced, the players's self-belief increased and we got some decent results. This bought Ole enough time for the winter transfer window. After we got Bruno, the team clicked, we looked business and Ole has now earned himself the next summer transfer window. COVID-19 appeared and made sure all teams are hit financially. This may help us keep Pogba at the moment and now we have Bruno - Pogba clicking to some extent. When you look back, I'd class this unbelievable string of luck Ole gets is a sign that he is like Fergie. He may not have such experience and senses yet, but he has that aura of being one destined for greatness. Things just favor him in many ways.

If we have a strong end to this season, I will all the more believe Ole is truly blessed. Such a man at our wheel makes me believe our fortune will really turn around under his leadership. And not many people in the football managerial career can be "blessed", mind you. You are either born with it, or not.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I don't particularly disagree that the feeling is better, but I would have said the same for every manager except Moyes (and even then, there was some tiny shiny periods). It looked that we were back when we demolished City, Liverpool and Spurs with Van Gaal, or when we won 2 cups with Mourinho, or last year for example when we went into that crazy series of wins. But it did not last long.
I hate all managers post SAF barring Ole - not saying he is the messiah or anything like that but it looks like he is actually rebuilding and building an actual team.

Ole was lucky to still be in the job in mid-December, 99% of top clubs would’ve shown him the door.
That said, the turnaround in results and performances since then is all you can ask for, keep improving and keep the job. If he manages top 4 it’ll be a sign of incredible improvement in the second half of the season whatever the points tally may say.

SirAnderson

He is only the second manager to beat Pep 3 times in a season.
He is our first manager to get a player to score a Hattrick.
He has done excellent against to top 6 and have finally found a way to breakdown deep defensive teams.
Even Fergie didn't get results (title) till 1992. From him joining in 1986.

The feck must we do, fire a manager that has literally changed the mood and direction of our club in terms of our identity? Our signings have finally reflected the kind we should be going after, not galacticos that don't fit our club. The same so go for chasing galatico managers just for the sake of it.

And even then, who is available that can guarantee success? No one.
We'd just be get another unknown variable in Poch, who has won feck all, or any other exotic manager you super clever armchair experts can conjure up.

In fact, I wish Liverpool thought like some of you with regards to Klopps first 2 years, and gave him the boot.
Ole hasn't even had a chance of 2 proper windows. Give our club a break.

lysglimt

Scout
I for one can't remember the last time we dominated an opponent as good as Sheffield United for Close to 90 minutes. There was one period of play where we had Close to 100 passes (when Greenwoods shot hit Pogba and went just wide)

And still there are people whining..Amazing.

SirAnderson

His buys are
And that's just his first big window and Jan window. I fully expect to see more this summer.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
I didn't ever mention sacking Ole. I am just saying that we are 37 points off top the table, on same points as mighty Wolves and 6 points below Leicester City. Doing mental gymnastics that this season (league-wise) has been anything short of total disaster is delusional.
Our biggest failure this season has been our ability to break down teams that sit back and the guys that can do that for us either played in a different league or sat in the stands for most of the season, their replacements meanwhile would barely make the bench in any team currently above Arsenal. How is it delusional to point that out in a discussion about how our season has gone so far?

I guess we should only look at our points total, ignore that the season isn't finished yet and only focus on what happened prior to our last 7 games to properly judge things.

Decomposing In Paris

You guys do realise that Man City are currently 23pts behind Liverpool, the same difference between them & Arsenal in 11th?

I find it really interesting that we have supporters who in one breath discuss our points total as the true measurement of our squad & coaching staff, but in the next speak about Klopp & Pep as top managers. Surely by the same logic Pep has lost it this season & their squad is in question too. Ole appears to have this squad heading in the right direction, Pep (by some of the logic on here) arguably has his going the other way.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
If we keep up this form till the end of the season I would say he has done a good job.
The squad was very weak creatively with Pogba injured and no Fernandes. We also struggled very badly when Martial was injured.

Some additions to the squad in the summer and we will have a better season, not convinced he is a title-winning manager but he has done well considering.

SpyLuke10

If we keep up this form till the end of the season I would say he has done a good job.
The squad was very weak creatively with Pogba injured and no Fernandes. We also struggled very badly when Martial was injured.

Some additions to the squad in the summer and we will have a better season, not convinced he is a title-winning manager but he has done well considering.
yeah we really did lack creativity before fernandes and with pogba injured. those two playing together and we look much better as a team. but we are still one injury to one of them away from it being more like it was before, hence why we still need 1 more creative midfielder. for that depth in that role. the new creative mid would play plenty as well anyway. means you could rest one of them and not have to play andreas for example, the drop off is too steep there.

foolsgold

I'm not convinced of the wisdom of getting too bothered with stats, look at what we've seen on the pitch since Christmas. It's a team that's quickly getting better, it plays entertaining football. Rashford, Greenwood aren't finished yet, but both are magnificent prospects. We have two of the best midfielders in Europe in Bruno and Pogba, the defence is solid.

What's not to like ?

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
I no longer want to kill myself when i watch united play like LVG and Mou days. Admittedly we don't win as many trophies as they did but its exciting to watch us play. Its not yet a disaster.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
People need to judge our final position NOT our points total, the points column this season is hideously skewed due to Liverpool's high total.
We finish top four, it's been a successful season to build on for next season, throw in a trophy and even better.
We finish 5th and a trophy then it's decent.
Just 5th and it's slightly disappointing, however still a chance for Champions League.
Any lower than 5th and yes it will be a poor season.
But people need to realise that Ole has won more than Poch in his relatively short management career, the guy knows what he is doing, he has built a good young squad which can only improve, he has a good coaching team and the performances on the pitch seem to improving.

Also we are by far the fittest team since the restart, which highlights that every player has been working hard in the break for Ole suggesting they are fully behind his values and ideas.

georgipep

If anything negative can be said about this season, it has to be the early stages. Just look at our form:

• Last 5 Games - 4th in the League with 3 wins and 2 draws, behind Wolves (4-1-0), City and Palace (4-0-1 each).
  • Last 10 Games - 4th in the League with 5 wins, 3 draws and 2 losses, behind Liverpool (8-1-1), City (7-1-2) and Wolves (5-4-1)
  • Last 15 Games - 3rd in the League with 7 wins, 4 draws and 4 losses, behind Liverpool (13-1-1) and City (10-1-4)
  • Last 20 Games - 3rd in the League with 10 wins, 6 draws and 4 losses, behind Liverpool (18-1-1) and City (13-2-5)
And here's where we suffered
  • Last 25 Games - 6th in the League with 11 wins, 8 draws and 6 losses, behind Liverpool (22-2-1), City (17-2-6), Wolves (12-9-4), Leicester (13-5-7) and Chelsea (13-4-8)
  • Last 30 Games - 6th in the League with 12 wins, 10 draws and 8 losses, behind Liverpool (27-2-1), City (20-3-7), Leicester (16-6-8), Chelsea (15-6-9) and Wolves (12-12-6)

I dare whoever uses Bruno's arrival or the "individual brilliance" nonsense to explain these facts!

padzilla

Hipster
I think that last part is harsh and Fergie was better tactically than people give him credit for, especially later in his career.
Agree completely. It was Fergie's ability to change the shape of his team that allowed him to have such longevity at the top. He might not have been an innovator trying new things all the time but he was able to adapt to subtle changes in how modern football kept evolving. I remember he ditched the 4-4-2 we had such joy with because of how we were overrun by Real Madrid at Old Trafford in 2000. He said at one stage Madrid only had one midfielder and it looked as if they were playing a different type of sport to us altogether because of their movement. We moved then to a 4-5-1/ 4-3-3 before arriving at 4-2-3-1. He was also smart enough to bring in coaching staff who were able to get the players to adapt as well. There was so much more to Fergie than being a shouty Scottish man manager.

padzilla

Hipster
As the original author of this post, last night was hugely encouraging, yes it's only Sheffield United who got tanked 3-0 by Newcastle at the weekend as well, but our movement and domination was excellent. The key now has to be to get the consistency to make this our standard level week in, week out. Under Ole we've either been outrageously brilliant for a spell cleaning everything out of our path or being so bad we look like rank amateurs.

SteveW

I've supported Ole through thick and thin. I'm entitled to call out those who insulted him and wanted him sacked.

The fecking twats
You ruined a good post by slagging SAFs tactical ability. He was a fecking genius.

hmchan

Just as a reminder. When Jose was sacked the table looked like the following:
Position​
Club​
Played​
Won​
Drew​
Lost​
Pts​
Goals For​
Goals Against​
Clean Sheets​
6th​
United​
17​
7​
5​
5​
26​
29​
29​
2​
Just as a reminder. Our table looked like the following after 17 games this season. Not trying to imply anything, just merely point out the fact that people become very lenient when it comes to Ole, and certainly we had worse moments than that this season.

PositionClubPlayedWonDrewLostPtsGoals ForGoals AgainstClean Sheets
6th​
United​
17​
6​
7​
4​
25​
26​
20​
2​

romufc

Just as a reminder. Our table looked like the following after 17 games this season. Not trying to imply anything, just merely point out the fact that people become very lenient when it comes to Ole, and certainly we had worse moments than that this season.

PositionClubPlayedWonDrewLostPtsGoals ForGoals AgainstClean Sheets
6th​
United​
17​
6​
7​
4​
25​
26​
20​
2​
When the record was like that, alot of fans were calling for a change. The club and majority of fans stuck by him because we saw what he was trying to do.

The difference is, Jose built a team before posting those results. Ole just started to build a team, we could see what he was trying to do.

Finally, Jose lost the dressing room, do you think Ole has lost the dressing room?