El Classico X 4 (1st: Draw, 2nd: Real win, 3rd: Messi wins, 4th: Barca win)

Kelvin

Looks to me like Ronaldo took a look at Mascherano's foot, and then took a quick roll to hit with his back. The momentum would have kept him going but gradually he should have slowed down, when you can see clearly that he accelerated a bit with his roll when he got near Mascherano foot.

ridiculous reaction from mascherano :houllier:

Untied

Not just common sense, the rules.

A red card for elbowing someone in the head has to be due to "serious foul play" or "violent conduct", neither or which applies when you accidentally catch someone with your elbow after being knocked off balance.

This is a completely different scenario to falling over and knocking someone on the opposing team over as a result, which is a free-kick, whether or not you mean to trip them up.

Law 12

No mention of intent.

In discussions like this it really is amazing how few people know the rules, including some of the pundits paid to talk about the game!
That law is hardly ever interpreted like that though.

I mean by that law you can win an indirect free-kick anywhere on the pitch by running into someone.

Cal?

CR7 fan
I do find myself defending them a lot on here because of the overwhelming bitterness they provoke from most on here, due to a combination of Ronaldo fans throwing their lot behind Madrid and what seems to be jealousy for the team that seems to be head and shoulders the best in Europe these last few years. Which seems to piss a lot of caftards off. To be honest, I don't even watch much Spanish football. I've watched a bit more than usual this year but no more than 3 or 3 non-CL games in total. Hardly the actions of a Barca fan, eh? I don't think I could even name their first-team squad fwiw.
Funny how the team who are "head and shoulders" the best in Europe are only in their 2nd CL final in 5 years; whilst the team who are "head and shoulders" below them are in the 3rd CL final in 5 years. :lol:

MrK

You don't need excessive anything to make Ronaldo hit the deck.
Clearly the same could be said about Mascherano, but that type of argument doesn't get us anywhere. And you're happy to ignore my point that he was also careless to just run into Ronaldo like that? And you say other people are being obtuse...

Cal?

CR7 fan
Looks to me like Ronaldo took a look at Mascherano's foot, and then took a quick roll to hit it with his back. The momentum would have kept him going but gradually he should have slowed down, when you can see clearly that he accelerated a bit with his roll when he got near Mascherano foot.

Guess he's learning from the best: Barcelona Diving Club.

Do you want me to post clips of Barca players accelerating through their roll? :lol:

iguanamanc

Funny how the team who are "head and shoulders" the best in Europe are only in their 2nd CL final in 5 years; whilst the team who are "head and shoulders" below them are in the 3rd CL final in 5 years. :lol:
Sounds like another conspiracy theory in the offing.............

MrK

Looks to me like Ronaldo took a look at Mascherano's foot, and then took a quick roll to hit it with his back. The momentum would have kept him going but gradually he should have slowed down, when you can see clearly that he accelerated a bit with his roll when he got near Mascherano foot.

Took a look at Mascherano's foot? It is fairly common for people to look at the ground when they're about to fall on it. Also fairly understandable for someone to prefer falling on their back or side rather than face first into someone else's heel.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
Guess he's learning from the best: Barcelona Diving Club.

Do you want me to post clips of Barca players accelerating through their roll? :lol:
Great, as long as we agree now that he has accelerated with his roll (which is obvious to be honest), I think that leaves no doubt then that he did foul Mascherano intentionally.

B Cantona

Desperate
I just can't see your point at all that Ronaldo did foul Mascherano
That's a slight on your knowledge of the game then I'm afraid

The point is, Ronaldo didn't foul anyone
Which is why your point is a crap one, because he quite blatantly does. It's not intentional, I think we can all agree that, but it's still a foul

I notice folk avoided answering the scenario where we bring the keeper into it. Exact same principle applies. I think you know it too, but don't have face to climb down on the misreading of this situation

Untied

That's a slight on your knowledge of the game then I'm afraid

Which is why your point is a crap one, because he quite blatantly does. It's not intentional, I think we can all agree that, but it's still a foul

I notice folk avoided answering the scenario where we bring the keeper into it. Exact same principle applies. I think you know it too, but don't have face to climb down on the misreading of this situation
You avoided the point that if unintentionally impeding an opponent's progress is a foul resulting in an indirect free-kick, anyone can win an indirect free-kick anywhere on the pitch simply by running into someone.

Untied

Hard to tell anything like that from such a stuttery gif (or is it my browser?).

EDIT: Yeah, it was the browser. Don't really see it to be honest.

olesmyhero

Emmy Moses

Or he's looking at the ground, which one tends to do when they're falling.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Great, as long as we agree now that he has accelerated with his roll (which is obvious to be honest), I think that leaves no doubt then that he did foul Mascherano intentionally.
It was still caused by Pique's bodycheck though.

Laphroaig

The entire idea that Ronaldo fouled Mascherano is preposterous.
To some extent. If people simply argued that he dived and therefore fouled JM by falling into him... fine. That some argue that it was a foul even if he was fouled... I think I have to leave this thread. Some are obviously trying to make up for perceived anti-Barca bias...

B Cantona

Desperate
You avoided the point that if unintentionally impeding an opponent's progress is a foul resulting in an indirect free-kick, anyone can win an indirect free-kick anywhere on the pitch simply by running into someone.
Eh? You don't get a free kick for running into someone

I'm going to have to assume you're thick, sorry mate

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
To some extent. If people simply argued that he dived and therefore fouled JM by falling into him... fine. That some argue that it was a foul even if he was fouled... I think I have to leave this thread. Some are obviously trying to make up for perceived anti-Barca bias...
Maybe you can respond to my question about the hypothetical scenario involving Valdes?

Shouldn't be too hard to find. I've posted it three times now. People keep ignoring it, for some reason.

WeasteDevil

It's not intentional, I think we can all agree that, but it's still a foul
Jesus Christ, do some of you have a brain cell between you? How can a player falling (through no fault of himself) because of a foul cause another foul? It's stupid, a totally idiotic point of view.

As I said, If Vidic picked Messi up and chucked him at Rio's head, is Messi making a foul on Ferdinand?

MrK

Maybe you can respond to my question about the hypothetical scenario involving Valdes?

Shouldn't be too hard to find. I've posted it three times now. People keep ignoring it, for some reason.
This one?

No. It's exactly the same.

Imagine the whole incident happened just outside the box and Valdes is rushing out to gather the ball.

Ronaldo goes flying into Valdes a split second after he's picked the ball up. The keeper gets clattered, drops the ball and Ronaldo jumps to his feet and rolls it into an empty net.

Is that a goal?

That's not really a like for like situation, keepers are given far much more protection than outfield players. Once the keeper has the ball in his hands the referee would blow for pretty much anything.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football

They're probabaly still trying to explain to you the non-hypothetical event where Pique fouled Ronaldo who fell on to Mascherano. Essentially Piques's fault that Mascherano fell over.

Jesus Christ, do some of you have a brain cell between you? How can a player falling (through no fault of himself) because of a foul cause another foul? It's stupid, a totally idiotic point of view.

As I said, If Vidic picked Messi up and chucked him at Rio's head, is Messi making a foul on Ferdinand?
That's a pretty good comparison though which should make the Pique/Ronaldo/Mascherano event easier to understand.

TheHorse'sMouth

Supports
Arsenal

(imagining this) :lol:

Cal?

CR7 fan

Red card for Messi for assaulting Rio. Clearly.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
I like the way you guys here being more enthusiastic about the "wrongly disallowed goal" than Ronaldo himself or any other Madrid player, when they still argued and protested other decisions in the game pretty strongly!

Even the look on Ronaldo's face was like: "Oh you saw me doing that?? What are the chances?! Where are more used to decisions like these going our way.."

WeasteDevil

I like the way you guys here being more enthusiastic about the "wrongly disallowed goal" than Ronaldo himself or any other Madrid player, when they still argued and protested other decisions in the game pretty strongly!
It's simply an argument about a very bad refereeing decision in the game, and there were many of them. If you want to point out others, you are free to do so, but don't spout shite!

Laphroaig

I had not seen it yet. I assume you mean this. I don't think it's enlightening at all. I accept that intentionality isn't the be all and end all. However, you need to ask why the "offender" does something. If it's because of a tackle, he's not to blame and it's not a foul. So Ronaldo either dived and his landing on Mascherano (not really, Mascherano quite obviously dived as much as Ron and I can't believe this is being questioned) was a result of that, or he was pushed over by Pique, whether or not a foul, and accidentally landed on the argentine twat and it was never a free kick at all.

I've no idea how the Valdes scenario is meant to clarify this, but I'm a bit drunk celebrating us getting to the final (you won't watch... sorry). Or to be more precise: If Ronaldo clatters into Valdes because he was pushed by Pique, it's either a foul/penalty or a goal. Still, it's not practically a good comparison, because we all know refs are more uncomfortable giving pens than fks.

Danny1982

Sectarian Hipster
It's simply an argument about a very bad refereeing decision in the game, and there were many of them. If you want to point out others, you are free to do so, but don't spout shite!
That's my point. You try to act as if you are SURE it was the wrong decision, when Ronaldo himself wasn't so sure it was the wrong decision during the game, neither did any other Madrid player to care enough to protest.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)

:lol:

United87

For what it is worth I thought it was a legitimate goal. But barca still would have won imo.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Piqué impeded Ronaldo's progress more than Ronaldo impeded Mascherano's, which is proven by the fact that Mascherano keeps running before deciding to drop his legs to the ground.

And you were the one who said "You'd have to also argue it was careless, reckless or using excessive force."
He doesn't though. His right leg gets caught, bumps into his left leg and he goes down. A fairly normal and natural way to fall down.