Gaming Elden Ring - Fromsoftware

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Yeah it’s been great to fully experience it in the height of the zeitgeist. Everyone went on the journey together.
I honestly cant remember a game having this much of an cultural impact at this one has. Maybe World of Warcraft when it was released?

Of course shit like CoD and FIFA reach much higher sales, but lets be real here, thats just the same rehased shite every year and the only discussion it spawns is fury from its fanbase

I dont know what it is about these Fromsoft games, but they just consume me completely and its incredibly hard to put them down.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Platman does it again! My platinum number is far too embarrassing to admit

Used outside summons for final two bosses as I just wanted to be done with it

Over 100 hours, but amazing game. Maybe my favourite From Software game so far but would need to reflect on that

largelyworried

Thought this video was a great deep dive into the game, it particularly echoes my complaints about the bosses & combat system.

Last edited:

Woodzy

Thought this video was a great deep dive into the game, it particularly echoes my complaints about the bosses & combat system.

Horses for courses I guess, but I feel the game is better for not having the things he has suggested in particular in regards to level scaling. No harm in putting them in as options though I guess, but i'd say keep them off as default because people (including me) get caught up on playing the game 'the way it should be played'. Also, assuming the level scaling would offer more souls, then surely it would be possible to be overlevelled pretty quickly? If the scaling didn't offer more souls then it would make running through early areas tedious as feck.

largelyworried

Horses for courses I guess, but I feel the game is better for not having the things he has suggested in particular in regards to level scaling. No harm in putting them in as options though I guess, but i'd say keep them off as default because people (including me) get caught up on playing the game 'the way it should be played'. Also, assuming the level scaling would offer more souls, then surely it would be possible to be overlevelled pretty quickly? If the scaling didn't offer more souls then it would make running through early areas tedious as feck.
That was an extremely small part of the video to be fair.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Defeated mohg lord of blood and commander niall last night, and started fighting fire giant. He's a pain in the arse, but he's doable. Got him down to his second phase a few times. There can't be that much left of the game. I'm about 76 hours in now.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Platman does it again! My platinum number is far too embarrassing to admit

Used outside summons for final two bosses as I just wanted to be done with it

Over 100 hours, but amazing game. Maybe my favourite From Software game so far but would need to reflect on that
I'm partial to a platinum trophy. Not sure if I'm going to get it in this game though. When I'm finished i think I'm going to move on. Maybe come back at a later date.

How many plats you got?

Woodzy

Defeated mohg lord of blood and commander niall last night, and started fighting fire giant. He's a pain in the arse, but he's doable. Got him down to his second phase a few times. There can't be that much left of the game. I'm about 76 hours in now.
Nah you've not got too long left in the main story. Obviously there's lots of side stuff that might still need doing - Malenia in particular is the one worth looking at since you are in that general area.

Be prepared with Fire Giant... he's pretty much the gatekeeper to a ridiculous difficulty spike (bosses in particular). If you beat Mohg you might be okay though since he was pretty tricky.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Found both Mohg and Commander Niall to be incredibly easy. To the point where I didn't realise they were 'main' bosses.

The ones I struggled with the most were the Fire Giant and Malenia. Astel was a bit of a pain for a bit too.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Nah you've not got too long left in the main story. Obviously there's lots of side stuff that might still need doing - Malenia in particular is the one worth looking at since you are in that general area.

Be prepared with Fire Giant... he's pretty much the gatekeeper to a ridiculous difficulty spike (bosses in particular). If you beat Mohg you might be okay though since he was pretty tricky.
Yeah, Mohg was a nightmare. But that has a lot to do with how I've spec'd my character. I think my vigor was at something like high 30's. So I was basically getting one-shotted. I had to do it without getting hit by one of his big attacks, basically. It was a pain in the arse.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yeah, Mohg was a nightmare. But that has a lot to do with how I've spec'd my character. I think my vigor was at something like high 30's. So I was basically getting one-shotted. I had to do it without getting hit by one of his big attacks, basically. It was a pain in the arse.
Does anyone actually up their vigor past low 30's??? Feel like 30 or 32 is plenty. Think you just need stronger armor/more endurance! Mohg I found pretty easy. Though I feel as if I've overlevelled. Was about 110 when I beat Leyndell Capital, none of the bosses were much of a challenge.

bosnian_red

When I finished the game I had 48 I think.
Just feels like wasted points. If I don't get 1 or 2 shotted than as long as I have the endurance to roll away and heal with flasks then that works for me. Ive never found that I run out of flasks either, since I have like 10 healing flasks. I am only in the 110-120 range but Id rather pump endurance to wear better armor and then the damage stats than vigor personally.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Does anyone actually up their vigor past low 30's??? Feel like 30 or 32 is plenty. Think you just need stronger armor/more endurance! Mohg I found pretty easy. Though I feel as if I've overlevelled. Was about 110 when I beat Leyndell Capital, none of the bosses were much of a challenge.
Yeah, maybe it is armor. To be honest, because I'm running a magic build I typically keep away from enemies, but I've found it difficult to keep away from some of the last few bosses I've fought. Hence why I'm literally getting one-shotted. Magic is cool until you come up against an enemy that doesn't allow you to cast a spell without smacking you down first.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I saw a post on reddit that showed that armor makes feck all difference in the game and you may as well go cosmetic unless you're doing magic specific areas or need a certain buff one gives. Having 50ish vigor was a much bigger deal for me.

Endurance is fine at 25-30 once you have the turtle talisman that regens it really fast.

bosnian_red

Yeah, maybe it is armor. To be honest, because I'm running a magic build I typically keep away from enemies, but I've found it difficult to keep away from some of the last few bosses I've fought. Hence why I'm literally getting one-shotted. Magic is cool until you come up against an enemy that doesn't allow you to cast a spell without smacking you down first.
Yeah probably the armor then. Are you using any of those talismans where you take more damage in exchange for more levels? Those usually aren't worth it as it kills you defensively.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Yeah probably the armor then. Are you using any of those talismans where you take more damage in exchange for more levels? Those usually aren't worth it as it kills you defensively.
No. I got one where your health regenerates automatically, and one where it boosts your intelligence. Because I wanted to use a specific spell. And the other two I got I can't remember off the top of my head.

bosnian_red

I saw a post on reddit that showed that armor makes feck all difference in the game and you may as well go cosmetic unless you're doing magic specific areas or need a certain buff one gives. Having 50ish vigor was a much bigger deal for me.

Endurance is fine at 25-30 once you have the turtle talisman that regens it really fast.
Hmmm not sure. I definitely feel like it's made a difference in terms of something that would previously 1 or 2 shot me, making me last just about past that. A big one is poise too. If people stagger easily when you block them, it goes a long way. My endurance is up at 38 now, vigor at 32 and both feel more than enough. Also getting that erdtree talisman +1 where it significantly boosts your vigor and stamina is a must IMO. Lets you keep those stats lower than normal maybe.

Kaos

What? I had 60 by the end. Not sure how you could tackle the end game with less than 45-50 unless you're a dodge god. Having things one shot you isn't fun.

bosnian_red

No. I got one where your health regenerates automatically, and one where it boosts your intelligence. Because I wanted to use a specific spell. And the other two I got I can't remember off the top of my head.
Ah fair. Since you beat Mohg, I'd go with that erdtree favor +1 over the health Regen by the way, the health Regen I found just worked too slowly and didnt Regen fast enough to make an effective difference during boss fights?

bosnian_red

What? I had 60 by the end. Not sure how you could tackle the end game with less than 45-50 unless you're a dodge god. Having things one shot you isn't fun.
Really?? I dunno I just shield and dodge and go patiently with it. At mountaintop of giants right now. Have really strong armor on and use the erdtree favor +1 to give an extra boost, but I don't get 1 shotted and most things don't 2 shot me either. Always enough time to roll away and heal and then go back in.

Also isn't there a big cap at 40? I'm pretty sure there is very little benefit to leveling vigor past 40. Endurance has a cap at 32 and then 50 I think. The attack stats were 50 and then 80. So I usually go to 25 and then low 30 for vigor, 30-40 for endurance and then pump the rest in attack.

Kaos

Really?? I dunno I just shield and dodge and go patiently with it. At mountaintop of giants right now. Have really strong armor on and use the erdtree favor +1 to give an extra boost, but I don't get 1 shotted and most things don't 2 shot me either. Always enough time to roll away and heal and then go back in.

Also isn't there a big cap at 40? I'm pretty sure there is very little benefit to leveling vigor past 40. Endurance has a cap at 32 and then 50 I think. The attack stats were 50 and then 80. So I usually go to 25 and then low 30 for vigor, 30-40 for endurance and then pump the rest in attack.
Ahh, you might find it to be on the low side from here on since there's a big difficulty spike until the end of the game. A lot of the mobs in consecrated snow fields/haligtree/crumbling azula hit like a truck. Just bear that in mind.

bosnian_red

Ahh, you might find it to be on the low side from here on since there's a big difficulty spike until the end of the game. A lot of the mobs in consecrated snow fields/haligtree/crumbling azula hit like a truck. Just bear that in mind.
Fair enough! Numbers wise I don't think there's sense in going past 40. 39 to 40 you gain 48 HP, 40 to 41 you gain 26 HP. 60 to 61 you gain 6 HP. Basically level 40 is your cap where it makes sense leveling up to, past that you need multiple levels to have the same effect it did before. Basically you get the same amount of HP boost going from 30-40 (450 HP) that you do going from 40-60, and then past 60 is entirely pointless as 60-99 you only get another 200 HP.

I feel like any build I do, if you optimize it, would look something like 30-40 max Vigor, 32 endurance, 21 mind, and then 50-80 for your attack stats that you want to use.

Woodzy

I had to respect and got mine up in the 50s. I wouldn't have beat the game otherwise, definitely not Malenia either.

bosnian_red

I had to respect and got mine up in the 50s. I wouldn't have beat the game otherwise, definitely not Malenia either.
Guess I'll see how she is when I get to her! Just purely number wise and bang for your buck, 40 seems like a logical cap to stop at.

bosnian_red

Just realized that there are 2 Mohg's. Ignore me. I was talking about the one in the sewers at Leyndell Capital who was easy. Haven't fought the other one in Siofra yet.

largelyworried

Vigor scaling is very strong in this game and endurance scaling is pretty average. Go from 30 to 40 Vigor and you get almost 50% more health. Go from 30 to 40 End and you get just 17% more carry weight. Even after the Vigor softcap at 40, it still scales extremely well right up til 60. You should definitely be thinking 40 to 60 vig, unless you have problems with your weapon weight.

Also armour is important but the difference between armours isn't big enough to make it a priority. The vagabond set you can start with has 28 absorption, while the heaviest set in the game has 45. So if you get hit for 1000 hp while wearing the vagabond set you'll lose 720 health. If you're wearing the bull goat set you'll lose 550. But the weight difference is over 30, so you'd have to invest ~20 levels of Endurance to make that 170 hp saving. If you added those 20 points to health you'd get 500+ more HP instead.

Of course there's more to it than that because there's difference types of damage, there's status effects to negate and there's also the added stamina to take into account. But if we're simply talking how best to tank, as a rule of thumb, prioritise vigor over end.

BayernFan87

Supports
Bayern Munich
https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Vigor

Just look at the stat scaling. You don't get bang for your buck when you level up vigor past 40. At 30 you plateau with each increase too.
This just encourages me to go for 60 :D
I'm at 45 currently with this talisman that increases strength, vigor and endurances by 5.

I didn't have as much time to play in the past 1, 2 weeks as I'd like to.
I just finished House Vulcan and as far as i know i have done everything i should have done by now:

I did everything in Caelid except of beating this black winged nightmare in front of Gurranq. I finished Ainsel, Siofra, Deeproot Depths, Rannis quest. Is there any area or any biq quest (comparable to Ranni?) i missed?

Still loving the game :)

padr81

Supports
Man City
Finished it and running a ng+ Final score is an 8.5 outta 10 for me.

A few minor nitpicks like quests locking out other quests and some weird tracking going on. Lots of great boss fight some dodgy ones and some shocking hitboxes are times. Great game and a contender for GotY but I wouldn't say its a shoe in.

Dual twinblades loaded with bleed (114 on each) kinda made the end of the game a slaughter fest. Both myself and mimic Tear were rocking the dual twin blade bleed machines and health just evaporated or bosses but thats probably on me and not the game..

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Just realized that there are 2 Mohg's. Ignore me. I was talking about the one in the sewers at Leyndell Capital who was easy. Haven't fought the other one in Siofra yet.
Yeah, the one in Leyndell is easy. Had no trouble with that one. The other one? Not so much! I just checked, my vigor is now at 35, but it was at 33 when i fought Mohg. That wasn't enough, IMO. I fecked myself over there. I would recommend going into that fight with your vigor higher than that.

As for the regen talisman, yeah it's not great. It is very slow regeneration which is almost completely useless in difficult boss fights. Or any boss fights, for that matter. I'll probably bin it.

Reditus

I'm partial to a platinum trophy. Not sure if I'm going to get it in this game though. When I'm finished i think I'm going to move on. Maybe come back at a later date.

How many plats you got?
A lot

In terms of the plat for elden ring one there is very few missable trophies and the endings you can make a save to the cloud after final boss and then upload it to see each one for the last 3 trophies

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
A lot

In terms of the plat for elden ring one there is very few missable trophies and the endings you can make a save to the cloud after final boss and then upload it to see each one for the last 3 trophies
This is a safe space mate - no need to feel ashamed here! :lol:

I'll probably end up getting it. But not right away. I'll take a break from the game first, I think. I got the plat in Bloodborne and Sekiro and they took ages. Sekiro in particular was a pain in the arse.

Reditus

This is a safe space mate - no need to feel ashamed here! :lol:

I'll probably end up getting it. But not right away. I'll take a break from the game first, I think. I got the plat in Bloodborne and Sekiro and they took ages. Sekiro in particular was a pain in the arse.
Yeah I have both those plats too and you are right…. sekiro was a chore at times. But loved the game

Also have the demons souls plat. Oddly I don’t have the plat for any of the mainline games even though ive completed all 3 (part one ive beat a few times)

padr81

Supports
Man City
I agree I really dislike level scaling, its just makes an entire game feel meh... you never feel under powered and you never feel over powered, everything just feels the same, the best part of games are progression and you get the best feeling of progression when you ride back through Limgrave and smash everything you can feel your progress. Going back and obliterating the tree spirit is rewarding because it felt so hopeless early. Level scaling shits all over that.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Yeah, the one in Leyndell is easy. Had no trouble with that one. The other one? Not so much! I just checked, my vigor is now at 35, but it was at 33 when i fought Mohg. That wasn't enough, IMO. I fecked myself over there. I would recommend going into that fight with your vigor higher than that.

As for the regen talisman, yeah it's not great. It is very slow regeneration which is almost completely useless in difficult boss fights. Or any boss fights, for that matter. I'll probably bin it.
The hard Mog isn't nearly as difficult if you have a certain wonderous physic. Once I found that myself and Mimic Tear laid the smack down on him.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
I wasn’t sure I’d like this game but it’s been one of the best I’ve ever played so far. Only just out of the Academy so still most of it left.