Gaming Elden Ring - Fromsoftware

atkar83

So I heard all the hype about facing the fire giant. I see him, get all amped up, get my weapon greases and potions ready and take him on. He does roll around and his fire balls can be a bit scary, but eventually I take him down and it seemed sort of anti-climatic. But whatever, maybe I'm over-levelled but at least I'm closer to finishing the game. Until I realize that was just a regular overworld giant with some fire capabilities and not the actual boss fight, uggghhhhh

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
feck the death rite birds. Especially the one you have to 1 v 1 in consecrated snow field. For me easily the toughest boss in the game, by a distance. Those things feck me up. Can't say I've had too much trouble with anything else apart from some evergaols but this guy is fecking me.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
feck the death rite birds. Especially the one you have to 1 v 1 in consecrated snow field. For me easily the toughest boss in the game, by a distance. Those things feck me up. Can't say I've had too much trouble with anything else apart from some evergaols but this guy is fecking me.
He was an absolute fecking bastard, yeah, probably one of the bosses I died to the most. Horse is basically useless and he's a nightmare to melee.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Cheating hacking cnuts they are with their aimbot
I managed to get the thing lit last night. Sneaking around on the right hand side near the cliff is the best tactic. Riding through that area on horseback is suicide. Also those feckin glowing blue balls that blast you are insult to injury. Two of them were right in front of one of the pyres. Jokes.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I managed to get the thing lit last night. Sneaking around on the right hand side near the cliff is the best tactic. Riding through that area on horseback is suicide. Also those feckin glowing blue balls that blast you are insult to injury. Two of them were right in front of one of the pyres. Jokes.
Yeah there are clear paths to take to get around them, but the area is almost entirely about sneaking. There are a fair number of grace points around there though iirc.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
How slow is reloading and getting back into the game on PS4? I can't help think that the speed of the SSD with the PS5 is what takes a lot of the sting away from dying over and over. Doesn't bother me at all in this and probably makes me impatient (in combat) a lot of the time. The sheer number of grace points is also very forgiving for a FromSoft game not to mention those stakes of Marika.

Last edited:

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
How slow is reloading and getting back into the game on PS4? I can't help think that the speed of the SSD with the PS5 is what takes a lot of the sting away from dying over and over. Doesn't bother me at all in this and probably makes me impatient a lot of the time. The sheer number of grace points is also very forgiving for a FromSoft game not to mention those stakes of Marika.
Don't know the answer to your question (own the PS5 version), but if you ever played Bloodborne when it came out (which i did) the loading screen could last for over 40 seconds each time you died. And considering that the game is more difficult than Elden Ring, (IMO) it was a real ball-ache. They did finally release a patch that shortened the loading times, but it was not fun before then. Especially when you had to run through the gauntlet just to get back to the boss, which Elden Ring has eliminated somewhat.

So yeah, the fast loading time does ameliorate the sting of death.

Reactions: CassiusClaymore

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Don't know the answer to your question (own the PS5 version), but if you ever played Bloodborne when it came out (which i did) the loading screen could last for over 40 seconds each time you died. And considering that the game is more difficult than Elden Ring, (IMO) it was a real ball-ache. They did finally release a patch that shortened the loading times, but it was not fun before then. Especially when you had to run through the gauntlet just to get back to the boss, which Elden Ring has eliminated somewhat.

Good word.

SuperiorXI

I beat the two bosses in Lake Of Rot last night, the Dragonkin was much worse than the main boss, lucky managed to get him with only a few scarlet rot heals left!

Shitty area, won't be going back.

Bebe

This was such a killer at the time.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I am at the Elden Throne with the last two bosses ahead. Beat those and choose the alternate ending and I’ve platinumed it.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I started a sorcery build now after my faith build save file crashed. It's ridiculous how much easier the game is when just shooting those dumb pebbles from your little stick. Just put all levels in int and everything melts before it reaches you.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Elden Beast on NG+3 is going to give me an aneurysm. Just had it down to a slither of health and it did that bullshit attack that follows you around with multiple homing missile cnuts. I actually screamed out loud in anger.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Platinum!

First game I’ve ever done that on :lol: ok I’m definitely done now.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
I got in from a beer festival last night and beat that dead Moose first time. Must have been in the goldilocks zone of alcohol consumption where your reflexes are at peak performance. Can't remember if he dropped anything useful.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
And to think you wanted to refund this.

Give Sekiro a go now!
Not sure any of the other games would work for me. I like the open world and that I can go elsewhere to level up if I get stuck.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I got in from a beer festival last night and beat that dead Moose first time. Must have been in the goldilocks zone of alcohol consumption where your reflexes are at peak performance. Can't remember if he dropped anything useful.
You killed a beautiful creature.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
The game has a mini-celebrity in someone called Let Me Solo Her. He puts his summon sign down outside Melania's boss room for people who need help with her and then wrecks her all by himself all while wearing underpants and a jar on his head and basically taking no damage. He's inspired fan-art and figurines already :lol:

Wasn't hit once and taunting during the fight. Nuts!

Last edited:

padr81

Supports
Man City
The game has a mini-celebrity in someone called Let Me Solo Her. He puts his summon sign down outside Melania's boss room for people who need help with her and then wrecks her all by himself all while wearing underpants and a jar on his head and basically taking no damage. He's inspired fan-art and figurines already :lol:

He's a bit good.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling

Wasn't hit once and taunting during the fight. Nuts!

Impressive stuff. Especially liked the dodge on that ridiculous combo she does when she jumps in the air.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Took me about an hour but I beat her with the help of Tiche. I don't think I could solo her. These old hands don't have the quick reflexes they once did :( :lol:.

Latenna was my go-to Ash but Malenia shreds her. Tiche has mobility.

She is very weak to freeze.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Beat Malenia with Mimic Tear. Using blasphemous blade mainly. The Takers Flame skill on that weapon is insanely good. That, and then all the faith buffs for fire. Mimic tear just slinging giants fire ball all day which knocks her over.

Almost beat her on my 2nd try, she had a sliver of left but I got greedy and she killed me. Then it took about an hour afterwards til I got her finally. Upped my vigor from 32 to 40 just so I don't get 1 shotted from her stupid jumping rapid attack move, but other than that it was fine.

Kaos

Beat Malenia with Mimic Tear. Using blasphemous blade mainly. The Takers Flame skill on that weapon is insanely good. That, and then all the faith buffs for fire. Mimic tear just slinging giants fire ball all day which knocks her over.

Almost beat her on my 2nd try, she had a sliver of left but I got greedy and she killed me. Then it took about an hour afterwards til I got her finally. Upped my vigor from 32 to 40 just so I don't get 1 shotted from her stupid jumping rapid attack move, but other than that it was fine.
Blasphemous blade trivialised the whole game for me. The weapon art has ridiculous range, and using it in a corridor full of enemies is just :drool:

padr81

Supports
Man City
I'm trying to beat Margit with a level 1 Wretch and no gear bar the club. Tons of fun but I'm getting owned.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Blasphemous blade trivialised the whole game for me. The weapon art has ridiculous range, and using it in a corridor full of enemies is just :drool:
Same for me also. I've respeced a few times during my first playthrough because I wanted to try new things and the faith build with the Blasphemous blade was just too OP. That and the mimic tear made bosses a piece of cake. Only bosses that needed 3-4 tries were Mohg and Elden Beast who were resistant to fire damage. Malenia was very very easy, maybe I was a little overleveled for her.
Overall the game was the best I've played in a long time, will surely begin NG+ and try other builds/weapons.

Jev

What's the verdict here after a long time with the game? Is it as outstanding as the reviews suggested? Better than Bloodborne? Good enough to justify getting a PS5 for someone who's been on the fence?

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
What's the verdict here after a long time with the game? Is it as outstanding as the reviews suggested? Better than Bloodborne? Good enough to justify getting a PS5 for someone who's been on the fence?
it's a brilliant game and you'll love the 100+ hours you get from it. I don't think the combat is as good as Bloodborne (and I'm in the middle of Sekiro which is better too, I think). It seems to be very Dark Souls. However the sheer selection of weapons and spells you can use is insane and makes trying loads of different builds a lot of fun. The open world is easily the weakest part of it (though still fun) but the legacy dungeons are brilliant.

It's probably an 8 or 9 out of 10, given for me Bloodborne is a 10. I dunno if it's worth getting a ps5 for, though, by all accounts there were a lot of performance issues to the point where people were actually installing the ps4 version on their ps5 instead as it ran smoother!

Jev

it's a brilliant game and you'll love the 100+ hours you get from it. I don't think the combat is as good as Bloodborne (and I'm in the middle of Sekiro which is better too, I think). It seems to be very Dark Souls. However the sheer selection of weapons and spells you can use is insane and makes trying loads of different builds a lot of fun. The open world is easily the weakest part of it (though still fun) but the legacy dungeons are brilliant.

It's probably an 8 or 9 out of 10, given for me Bloodborne is a 10. I dunno if it's worth getting a ps5 for, though, by all accounts there were a lot of performance issues to the point where people were actually installing the ps4 version on their ps5 instead as it ran smoother!
Cheers. I was blown away by the atmosphere and sheer gameplay joy of Bloodborne, which was my first and to date only From game. I tried getting into the Dark Souls 3 remaster but just didn't find it as engaging and left it after a few hours.

I have a two-year old and limited time to play so I've not really felt a PS5 was worth the outlay but this game tempted me. To be honest, with everything I read, I'm beginning to feel the best thing would be to replace my struggling, coughing base PS4 with a top-end PS4 Pro.

Last edited:

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
So I finally finished this after almost 100 hours. Pretty epic. Now it’s all said and done, Bloodborne is still at the top. I’m not sure many games are going to beat that; it’s close to perfect for me. I would probably rank it third behind Sekiro, although I’m not sure. Obviously, they’re both very different games so it's hard to compare.

Anyway, overall the game was incredible. The sense of exploration and discovery is almost unparalleled in modern open-world games. I know it’s not perfect, but the pros certainly outweigh the cons. Just when you thought you discovered every area of the map, you find a lift that takes you underground to what is basically a mini world of its own. It just keeps going and going. What they did in that aspect is phenomenal.

The main bosses of the games are incredibly well designed as you would expect from this studio. The atmosphere and lore they manage to incorporate into each one is, again, unmatched. However, there are far too many other types of bosses to the point where they just become tedious and incidental. Honestly, some of them can be swatted aside in a few seconds and are often repeated. They become merely an inconvenience as opposed to a test of skill, and by the end, I was over them.

Also, I was not a fan of the catacombs. To me, they embodied the worst aspects of these games, and almost played up to them to the point where it became a parody. Enemies are placed in ridiculous positions, throwing a ton of shit at you in a way that is reminiscent of a poorly designed Mario Maker level. You know the ones, where the person who made it just throws everything at you with no rhyme or reason. That's the feeling I got when playing through them. They’re also incredibly dull to look at, to the point where you really don’t want to explore them.

Anyway, the game is fecking awesome, and I think I’m going to be lost without it, but I need a change of pace. Something a bit less demanding.