elite dangerous

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Has anybody played this in beta?
I'm fairly certain I will be pre-ordering the game (probably a new pc and hotels etc to go with it as well (maybe even the vr headset?)
But is it worth paying a bit extra for the beta or would I be better off just waiting for the full game
Also star citizen - how similar will the two games be?

DFreshKing

Looking forward to this when the price comes down and it finished.

Loved frontier:Elite on the Amiga. It Is now free for download on the pc for any into retro gaming.

Get it from the elite dangerous website.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
I played Oolite with some mods and it was good fun, brought back a lot of happy memories.

I'll Google this new one and see what the craic is.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
Same as Elite/Oolite but with better graphics and multiplayer.

Hopefully they keep it open source so the modding community can tweak it. I won't be getting it, though. My laptop isn't powerful enough.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
Going with Star Citizen myself, but that's because as a kid I was into Wing Commander a lot more than Elite. Hell I'm still into Wing Commander in a big way.

Anyway Chris Roberts, the guy who created the WC Universe created Start Citizen because he couldn't buy the Wing Commander rights back from EA, Star Citizen is heavily Wing Commander influenced. I never got into Elite in the same way so for me there's only one winner. Most of the Wing Commander games were linear campaign based rather than free-roaming like Elite, although Privateer (1993) was a fantastic space trading game, which for me did everything right and looked much better than Elite with the additions of Cockpits, etc.

Very excited for SC, but Elite Dangerous from an outsiders point of view, looks sicker than the plague.

mu4c_20le

^ nice, a WC fan. I wasn't that into the games back then, I am more of a TV sci fi fan (BSG) and I am also invested in Star Citizen. IMO it will have much more content than E:D, its not just about dogfighting and smuggling but also planetside exploration, FPS, ship boarding, lots of things to do. Chris Roberts seems like a genuine guy.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Hopefully I'll get my hands on this on Sunday...

afrocentricity

Make sure you ask to use it with Oculus Rift, it's really good with it.
Didn't see it with OR, didn't even get to play it but it looked good. We got overwhelmed, not even time to see everything...

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Righty

I have been told this PC should run the game well...

but I know fec all about PC specs so does this look ok (and is the price decentish?)

> *Computer Case :* 1 x Black ATX Tower Case
> *CPU :* 1 x Intel i5 4460 - (4 x 3.2 GHZ) - Haswell
> *CPU Heatsink :* 1 x Intel Heatsink & Fan - Low Noise
> *Memory :* 1 x 8 GB 1600MHz (1x8GB) - (DDR3)
> *Graphics Card :* 1 x NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 - 2 GB - (ZOTAC) - (PCI-E)
> *Motherboard :* 1 x Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3 (Intel Z97)
> *Sound Card :* 1 x Motherboard Integrated HD Sound
> *Networking :* 1 x Motherboard Integrated Ethernet Lan (Broadband Ready)
> *Power Supply :* 1 x Corsair 450W PSU - Low Noise
> *CPU Compound :* 1 x Standard CPU Compound Supplied With Heatsink
> *Case Fans :* 1 x Standard Fans Included With Case
> *Hard Drive #1 :* 1 x 1 TB Seagate (1000 GB) SATA-III HDD 7200 RPM 64MB
> *Optical Drive #1 :* 1 x Samsung 24x DVD/CD Re-Writer/Reader - Black -
> (SATA)
> *Operating System #1 :* 1 x Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 BIT
> (Genuine DVD & COA Included)
> *DVD Playback Software :* 1 x FREE - CyberLink PowerDVD 10
> *DVD/CD Burning Software :* 1 x FREE - Nero V12 - NEW
> *Free Gift :* 1 x FREE - 6 Port Surge Protection
> *Power Cable :* 1 x 1 x 1 Metre UK Mains Power Cable
> *Build Time :* Build Time - Standard - Estimated 9 Working Days
> (Guaranteed Christmas Delivery)
> *Shipping :* FREE - UK Mainland
> *Timed Delivery :* Standard - 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM (UPS Delivery)
> *Support :* E-Mail/Live Help/Online/Phone Support
> *Warranty :* 3 Year Standard Warranty

price £568 inc VAT

Also any thoughts on the best HOTAS?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Thrustmaster-Hotas-Warthog-Joystick-Throttle/dp/B00371R8P4

http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/x55.html

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Saitek-Flight-Combat-Control-System/dp/B003BXVIQS/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1416330393&sr=8-9&keywords=hotas joystick

http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/fly5.html

http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/x52.html

http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/x52pro.html

http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_UK/products/tflight-hotas-x

Last edited:

justboy68

Anyone playing this? I just coughed up for it on a whim after watching some (staggeringly beautiful) videos and enjoying the combat scenarios demo. I'm concerned I won't be able to pilot the fecker though through those thin docking gates :lol:. I've heard content is a bit sparse at the moment, but it should suit just fine for relaxing and wandering around hauling cargo from station to station. The fact that new features will be added as it goes along provides something to keep coming back for.

Edit- Gameplay video:

...aka Las Cortinas

has no mates
Anyone playing this? I just coughed up for it on a whim after watching some (staggeringly beautiful) videos and enjoying the combat scenarios demo. I'm concerned I won't be able to pilot the fecker though through those thin docking gates :lol:. I've heard content is a bit sparse at the moment, but it should suit just fine for relaxing and wandering around hauling cargo from station to station. The fact that new features will be added as it goes along provides something to keep coming back for.

Edit- Gameplay video:
Wow, it looks ridiculously vast. I remember playing 'Beyond the Frontier' in the late 90's and it taking up my life for a month or two. As amazing as this looks I just wouldn't have the time anymore to get so involved in it. It does look beautiful though.

b82REZ

I picked it up on the Steam sale last week but I don't have a flight stick and so I would struggle, I think.
Same here. I've heard it's easy to map to a controller which is fine for playing with.

I'm just waiting for my new CPU to arrive before I play it. Planning a long weekend session.

afrocentricity

I picked it up on the Steam sale last week but I don't have a flight stick and so I would struggle, I think.
Same here. I've heard it's easy to map to a controller which is fine for playing with.

I'm just waiting for my new CPU to arrive before I play it. Planning a long weekend session.
I've got it on Xbox, and it works suprisingly well with the Xbox controller. I'm also getting it on PC, but have asked for a HOTAS joystick for Xmas which should make a big difference. Really like this game a lot
Add me when you guys get around to playing, I'm really enjoying this game so far. Reckon it will be great multiplayer...

b82REZ

I've been debating picking up a Steam controller, actually.
I'm on the fence. I've heard the touch pad acts like a roller ball so you need to adjust for momentum on movement. I can imagine that being a nightmare in Elite: Dangerous
From footage I've seen, flying and stopping requires a certain level of precision.

I'll probably grab one when they inevitably reduce the price. The Steam Link interests me a lot more atm.

afrocentricity

I've actually being ok so far in cqc, the death match mode... Bit hesitant to go online in the main game tho :nervous:

Brocky

I've actually being ok so far in cqc, the death match mode... Bit hesitant to go online in the main game tho :nervous:
Meh. Ex EVE-Online player, me. Harsh, cold universes where anything goes are what make games like that fun and challenging! :cool:

I might fire it up tonight and see how my rig handles it, before I go ordering a Steam controller.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
So come on, who's playing this?
yeah - though finding time is always difficult - though I like the sandbox nature so you can do a few missions, or trade for a bit, or go and explore, or go looking for a fight.
got quite a few decent ships and quite a bit of cash but not sure I can face the grind of getting rankings to get the new ships - will probably wait till they have some free for all type event which Im sure will happen at some point.
have to say I think you can actually fly better for combat without hotas... though I tend to use an x55 as i just find it more enjoyable / immersive

afrocentricity

yeah - though finding time is always difficult - though I like the sandbox nature so you can do a few missions, or trade for a bit, or go and explore, or go looking for a fight.
got quite a few decent ships and quite a bit of cash but not sure I can face the grind of getting rankings to get the new ships - will probably wait till they have some free for all type event which Im sure will happen at some point.
have to say I think you can actually fly better for combat without hotas... though I tend to use an x55 as i just find it more enjoyable / immersive
Fair enough, I think -like you- I'll keep using hotas it it just feels right...

Most boring game ever... Played it, got super rich, had nothing else to do.
Yeah I heard content was sparse post launch, you have planetary landing, vehicles and land bases and missions coming soon fwiw...

SCM

Got it but need a better controller as my current joystick isn't up to it for customising to make the game easier to play, tried when I got the game and wasn't fun to play or get into.

afrocentricity

How do you add people on this anyway?

Edit: Found it, my names 'afrodubs' on there... looking forward to some group piracy/bounty hunting...

Last edited:

Brocky

Man, this is going to take some getting used to. I'm getting maneuvers and basic combat down, but the tutorial mission where you get waves of differing enemies is kicking my ass!

It's the 'Big Mama' ship that I can't beat. I tried putting power into engines & systems in an attempt to get some range, try to maneuver behind it and then put power into weapons and let rip. I can out-run it, using boost, but as soon as I get any sort of transversal to try and get behind, he just closes and obliterates me.

I'm starting to get the feeling that it's purposely impossible to beat, in an aim to get you used to losing your ship.

b82REZ

Man, this is going to take some getting used to. I'm getting maneuvers and basic combat down, but the tutorial mission where you get waves of differing enemies is kicking my ass!

It's the 'Big Mama' ship that I can't beat. I tried putting power into engines & systems in an attempt to get some range, try to maneuver behind it and then put power into weapons and let rip. I can out-run it, using boost, but as soon as I get any sort of transversal to try and get behind, he just closes and obliterates me.

I'm starting to get the feeling that it's purposely impossible to beat, in an aim to get you used to losing your ship.
How are you playing? Kb&M?

I'm having few problems with new CPU and mobo I installed but hoping to fix them so I can play this weekend.

Brocky

Yeah. Using a similar set-up to the one in the earlier video.

I'm now in solo and have found myself in a system with no station, I don't have enough fuel to jump. :(

afrocentricity

I'm now in solo and have found myself in a system with no station, I don't have enough fuel to jump. :(
Yup, fuel scoop I'd your friend when that happens...
About that ship, I think is near enough impossible with the ship you have and the loadout, I gave up...

Edit: Just added ya...

Last edited:

afrocentricity

I'm in the system just next to you parked in littewoods, having network issues so back in a bit

Brocky

@afrocentricity - Definitely getting into this now. Once I sussed out that there is much better cash to be made helping the feds at Resource Extraction Sites, than there is by doing missions, I started to accumulate some credits.

I bought my first ship - an Eagle - last night and kitted it out. After a while, I decided to go exploring but, from what I've just read, I should really wait until I can get a Cobra, as it's capable of much longer ranges.

My aim now is to get my name on a planet for being the first to discover it. :cool:

Ducklegs

I have a couple of systems where I was the first to discover them.

I also have a Python and 100 million credits, but I've not played in 6 months or so.

I logged in to try out my X55 pro after I build my new system, and thats about it.

caid

Started playing it a week ago. Been killing pretty much everything since (and getting killed by the nasty feds :()
really not picky about targets. feck hauling cargo, i dropped my cargo bay for an interdiction drive.
Its fun, incredibly unintuitive but fun once you figure junk out.

Trying to make my way to the piratey type guys area, which it seems might take me a week or two.
Just using an xbox controller, it gets the job done.
(using an eagle too, have a couple of upgrades)