Elon Musk | Owner of X

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
I think Elon covered that at the launch, no paint chips, no rust, bullet proof, tough windows, blows away rivals towing and for speed off the mark etc. I have no intention of buying one, just a current trend of interest. Then trying to find out what people are posting is based on any truth or simply just because the don't like Musk.
"No rust"

Oh this will be tested.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
I think Elon covered that at the launch, no paint chips, no rust, bullet proof, tough windows, blows away rivals towing and for speed off the mark etc. I have no intention of buying one, just a current trend of interest. Then trying to find out what people are posting is based on any truth or simply just because the don't like Musk.
There will be no paint chips because there's no paint, if you want it in a color other than steel you have to get it wrapped which will chip even worse than paint. Being bullet proof and having tough windows is great if you live inside a Batman comic book, in real life the only thing those "positives" add to the car is a huge amount of weight which will give you less range, worse braking and handling, endanger people in a crash etc etc.

Halftrack

Model Y is a superb vehicle, a friend of mine owns one, safest thing you can own, highest ever ANCAP scores and build quality is excellent. Looks odd but hey who cares if others don't like it.
Know several people with Teslas, and have sat in my share of them. "Excellent" isn't a word I, nor the owners, would use to describe the build quality. It's comparable to budget brands. Skoda looks a premium brand by comparison.

Red_toad

Know several people with Teslas, and have sat in my share of them. "Excellent" isn't a word I, nor the owners, would use to describe the build quality. It's comparable to budget brands. Skoda looks a premium brand by comparison.
I can only speak for one of the latest models' from China, I believe the build quality there is better than the US. Everyone I know who has a Tesla has no such complaints, I personally like the model Y and have friends who own model 3's.
Than again I don't know what you're driving to make the comparison. Having owned a Skoda I can certainly say the Tesla's in Australia are more premium.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
No paint chips - if course there is no paint chips when there is no paint. I am sure every competition can made stainless steel body, I wonder how no one in car industry has thought about that before?

No rust- we are in 2023, which car has problem with rust?

Bullet proof - I am sure bullet proof cars were invented 30 or even more years ago, it's not a major breakthrough. It's also not important, except if you are not located in Gaza at the moment. Or if you want to have extra weight that makes your car drive like a tank, and not being able to pass the security laws.

Tough windows - what does that even mean, when is the last time you broke your car window? Also from first video it broke, and on the second video it didn't even look tough, they threw something like tennis ball at low speed to prove they are tough.

Towing - it blows away only on promise made few years ago, but the specification at the moment are the same as from the competition, and even those are yet to be proven.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a45953678/tesla-cybertruck-payload-towing-capacity-revealed/

It's only better at payload, but even that is to be proven yet, because they lied about most of things so far.

There is literally nothing impressive about this truck yet. And I guess it will only go downhill from now, because first off road videos and actual driving videos aren't doing it any favour, aside from the obvious impractical argument.

Last edited:

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
I was thinking the same. At best they're using 304 stainless and I bet they'll do something daft like brush it with mild steel brushes and transfer free iron on to it that corrodes.
Given most modern cars don't really rust, it's a waste of time.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Can cars still rust? I live in The Netherlands where rain is the standard weather. Never see any rusted cars :nervous:

Conor

Can cars still rust? I live in The Netherlands where rain is the standard weather. Never see any rusted cars :nervous:
Salt is the thing that would cause a car to rust, but body panel rust certainly is essentially a non-issue these days.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Here in canada, and I assume some other nordic countries, they rust because of the constant salt in the roads to avoid the freeze. Salt is very corrosive

Red_toad

No paint chips - if course there is no paint chips when there is no paint. I am sure every competition can made stainless steel body, I wonder how no one in car industry has thought about that before?

No rust- we are in 2023, which car has problem with rust?

There is literally nothing impressive about this truck yet.
But they haven't

LDV for certain we use them at work and they rust like hell.

In your opinion there's nothing impressive, many others don't share that opinion.
Personally find it very unusual and will keep an eye out for reviews from people who actually have driven them, opposed to people who don't like Musk so see no good in anything his companies do.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Watched something earlier today, had one with front end damage that head been used in crash testing. Sure looked to have absorbed a major front end impact very well. Sandy Munro rates it very highly, so he knows a thing or two.
NCAP rating will be out some time in the near future, keep an eye out for it.
Mate, it’s going to kill anyone it hits. America will love it. No chance it exists in Europe.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Nobody is going to buy this thing if they need a pick up. It’s not a working vehicle. It’s a status symbol, and something can only be a status symbol if it has status attached to it.

It’s fast, I actually like the look of it, but it’s just a massive car that costs $100,000. It will be terrible off road, most will be sold as rear two wheel drive - which is just mental, the loading bay is a joke, it doesn’t have a rear view camera in the rear view mirror - which is frankly ridiculous, the build quality is clearly awful, it’s a hazard to pedestrians and other road users, repairs will cost a packet, its range is shite when laden or towing, it has no external manual door releases - so good luck if you get stuck in one and need medical help and the power goes out… I could go on forever.

It’s a fever dream created by a man-child. A certain sector of Americans will love it. The rest of the world will laugh at the insane exceptionalism. It’s a rewind to Oldsmobiles and whatever their obsession with external wood paneling was.

Mans done. fecked Tesla. fecked Twitter. fecking his septum.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Nobody is going to buy this thing if they need a pick up. It’s not a working vehicle. It’s a status symbol, and something can only be a status symbol if it has status attached to it.

It’s fast, I actually like the look of it, but it’s just a massive car that costs $100,000. It will be terrible off road, most will be sold as rear two wheel drive - which is just mental, the loading bay is a joke, it doesn’t have a rear view camera in the rear view mirror - which is frankly ridiculous, the build quality is clearly awful, it’s a hazard to pedestrians and other road users, repairs will cost a packet, its range is shite when laden or towing, it has no external manual door releases - so good luck if you get stuck in one and need medical help and the power goes out… I could go on forever.

It’s a fever dream created by a man-child. A certain sector of Americans will love it. The rest of the world will laugh at the insane exceptionalism. It’s a rewind to Oldsmobiles and whatever their obsession with external wood paneling was.

Tesla is doing fine regardless of Musk's antics.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Tesla is doing fine regardless of Musk's antics.
Tesla is doing fine as they own the supercharging network and is expanding it. Very little to do with the cars.

Their car brand value is in the mud, long term users are facing huge repair bills.

The car division isn’t in rude health. It takes decades for these problems to manifest. Their share price is based on car sales, to a point. Without the supercharging network, they’d be done by now.

The faults and repair costs are going to cripple the resale market in the next decade. If the next generation of cars sold aren’t to a high industry standard, they’ll be absorbed by another car co, who wish to Aquire the supercharger infrastructure and production facilities. They are simply not good cars. Full on emperor's new clothes stuff.

Red_toad

Twitter was dying regardless of Elon, not that I care.

Tesla are going very well actually, share price is going great guns and they're going to take down a lot of their rivals. Get the model 2 on the roads and they'll sell like hot cakes.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Tesla are going very well actually, share price is going great guns and they're going to take down a lot of their rivals. Get the model 2 on the roads and they'll sell like hot cakes.
You’ve got more faith than I do in the brand. They make bad cars. That’s unsustainable without a cult of personality attached (see Apple and iPhones in the late-Jobs era). At least Apple makes products that are as good or better than competitors products in many areas.

Tesla trade on range, and speed. That’s it.

Two owners that bought a BMW 3 series or Tesla Model 3 around 5 years ago are having wildly different ownership experiences right now. This is (anecdotally) evident from seeing two mates do exactly that. Admittedly in the UK. But relevant enough.

The 3 series driver is ticking along nicely. The Model 3 driver has seen the early “feck that looks cool and isn’t this orgasm of big screen tech brilliant” evolve into “This car is a loveable money pit”.

They look good. They’re impressively quick. But they’re awful to drive, always have some kind of shit going wrong, and I’ve seen nothing that makes me think the company is trying to fix any of it.

That other car makers don’t have a right wing facist foghorn for a figurehead… probably gonna help them.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I don't know quite how to parse the intent of this comment. Twitter wasn't doing great, but it was more or less managing before Elon. After Elon it has been a complete, undeniable shitshow which is quite likely not to exist in a year. Nobody has to like what Twitter was before the purchase, but what's the point here?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
What are Twitter finances looking like now? Is Musk supposed to fund Twitter on his own? Is Twitter profitable?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Here in canada, and I assume some other nordic countries, they rust because of the constant salt in the roads to avoid the freeze. Salt is very corrosive
Stainless steel can be corroded by salt too though unless it's a very expensive grade. 316 isn't bad at resisting pitting corrosion but it's not perfect and certainly probably not as good as ordinary steel with non-chipped paintwork.

Jerch

I like Cybertruck because it's different and I like the design. It's completely subjective, for example my friend like the stats like acceleration but the design is turn of for him. Anyway in my opinion it will sell very well.

To be fair some of the comments above are laughable and are clearly written because of the owner and not because of characteristics of the car.

Just few points, stainless steel used for body is high quality and is a benefit. Also weight is not a problem and the truck is lighter then some competitive trucks because Tesla's batteries are lighter. Other stats are comparable to competition like Rivian and Ford Lighting. If I would be in the market for new truck I would definitely choose Cybertruck but as I said it's subjective and most people will decide by which design they like more. Sadly I need 7 seater and will need it for at least 4 years so it's not an option.

For more info for those who are actually interested in comparison to Rivian and Ford Lighting and not just shitting on Cybertruck because they don't like Musk there is good overview by JerryRigEverything and for those who are interested how it actually looks on review there is review by Marques Brownlee bellow.

Last edited:

sparx99

My friends have two Tesla's and they rattle worse than a 10yr old Ford.

sparx99

It reminds me of the people who bought a Hummer in the early 2000's. That was different too but wildly impractical and it died off pretty quick as a fad.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I like Cybertruck because it's different and I like the design. It's completely subjective, for example my friend like the stats like acceleration but the design is turn of for him. Anyway in my opinion it will sell very well.

To be fair some of the comments above are laughable and are clearly written because of the owner and not because of characteristics of the car.

Just few points, stainless steel used for body is high quality and is a benefit. Also weight is not a problem and the truck is lighter then some competitive trucks because Tesla's batteries are lighter. Other stats are comparable to competition like Rivian and Ford Lighting. If I would be in the market for new truck I would definitely choose Cybertruck but as I said it's subjective and most people will decide by which design they like more. Sadly I need 7 seater and will need it for at least 4 years so it's not an option.

For more info for those who are actually interested in comparison to Rivian and Ford Lighting and not just shitting on Cyberpunk because they don't like Musk there is good overview by JerryRigEverything and for those who are interested how it actually looks on review there is review by Marques Brownlee bellow.

You don’t know what you’re talking about

UnrelatedPsuedo

My friends have two Tesla's and they rattle worse than a 10yr old Ford.
My mate has had to superglue and insert (hidden) wedges to keep panels apart. She actually likes the car, but doesn’t pretend that it’s well made. Just neutrally reports the flaws and says that the car does what she needs it to do and that she likes it.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
The fact that a truck used for carrying materials and going off road doesn't have designated space for a spare tire is just nuts to me. Would anyone want to drive a truck without having a spare tire? If not, then your automatically using up some of the trunk space for it.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.

For more info for those who are actually interested in comparison to Rivian and Ford Lighting and not just shitting on Cybertruck because they don't like Musk there is good overview by JerryRigEverything and for those who are interested how it actually looks on review there is review by Marques Brownlee bellow.

As others have said already, the Brownlee one isn't a full review and he even states in the video that he's using a prototype.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The fact that a truck used for carrying materials and going off road doesn't have designated space for a spare tire is just nuts to me. Would anyone want to drive a truck without having a spare tire? If not, then your automatically using up some of the trunk space for it.
You’re misunderstanding the type of driving done by 99% of the gimps who buy oversized SUVs worldwide. Many of whom probably couldn’t change the tyre even if they had a spare.