Elon Musk's epic bacon adventures

MadMike

that is a bad thing mike
Not in my book. That’s how politics works in America. You donate to be heard. As far as I’m aware all big businesses do it. Lobbying.

What you say while being heard is what matters. Not the fact you had to pay to be heard.

Silva

Not in my book. That’s how politics works in America. You donate to be heard. As far as I’m aware all big businesses do it. Lobbying.

What you say while being heard is what matters. Not the fact you had to pay to be heard.
It is bribery and anyone who part takes should be in prison at the very least.

ChaddyP

giving politicians money so they do what you want is bribery

yeh i agree with you that the whole Lobbying thing and political donations by corporations on a whole to be massively corrupt. But unfortunately until citizens unite and protest to have the laws changed it is the only way to get access to the people that matter. So i can understand if elon musk or walt disney pay millions to lobby for what they feel is right

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
it must be a coincidence that the people who give the most money to politicians get the most government contracts, subsidies and tax cuts
People donate to campaigns for a variety of reasons. Many for causes and people that you prolly support as well. Not everyone is complicit in what you're painting with a broad swath as being criminal.

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
yeh i agree with you that the whole Lobbying thing and political donations by corporations on a whole to be massively corrupt. But unfortunately until citizens unite and protest to have the laws changed it is the only way to get access to the people that matter. So i can understand if elon musk or walt disney pay millions to lobby for what they feel is right
walt disney is dead. the corporation named after him doesnt have rights and shouldnt be allowed to influence government

Silva

People donate to campaigns for a variety of reasons. Many for causes and people that you prolly support as well. Not everyone is complicit in what you're painting with a broad swath as being criminal.
I'm very clearly talking about people who give obscene amounts of money not joe down the road giving them a fiver.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
Ah yes, the good old 'technicalities'. The end result is the same: favors done by politicians towards their donators.
Politics is a dirty and detestable business. Not sure how the bolded will ever change as the ones in power will always favor those who donated, backed, and supported them.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
probably already posted but then I have to read your repetitive Musk ball-gobbling.

ChaddyP

walt disney is dead. the corporation named after him doesnt have rights and shouldnt be allowed to influence government
Agreed. But the fight should be with your elected officials and With your supreme court

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
1. You're assuming people have any say in what laws pass, but there's no evidence to support that.
2. If we assume 1, there were officially some caps on the amount of money that rich people could use to influence elections - the McCain Feingold Act. It was a law and hence supposedly the will of the people. The Supreme Court in a series of rulings including Citizens United rendered it meaningless.
3. To support 1:

https://www.ipsos.com/en-us/news-polls/center-for-public-integrity-2017-08-31

The situation now:
[...]they’ve introduced two dozen bills related to money in politics. Some are aimed at increasing donor transparency, others are targeting massive contributions from special interests. A couple are intent on reforming the Federal Election Commission, the government agency charged with enforcing election laws.

None, a Center for Public Integrity analysis indicates, have had a single formal hearing, much less an up-or-down vote in either the U.S. House or Senate.

Election reform-minded Democrats are also hobbled by their party’s recent history. When they had opportunities during President Barack Obama’s first two years in office to significantly alter the American campaign finance structure through legislation, they didn’t.

And in a twist that’s infuriated acolytes of Sen. Bernie Sanders, among others, Democrats are following Republicans’ lead by raising millions of dollars in so-called “dark money” contributions, the origins of which are largely untraceable.

All the while, Republicans, who now control every branch of government, have expressed little interest in stanching the ever-increasing flow of big money into federal elections.
http://time.com/4922542/democrats-citizen-united/

ChaddyP

1. You're assuming people have any say in what laws pass, but there's no evidence to support that.
2. If we assume 1, there were officially some caps on the amount of money that rich people could use to influence elections - the McCain Feingold Act. It was a law and hence supposedly the will of the people. The Supreme Court in a series of rulings including Citizens United rendered it meaningless.
3. To support 1:

https://www.ipsos.com/en-us/news-polls/center-for-public-integrity-2017-08-31

The situation now:

http://time.com/4922542/democrats-citizen-united/
Looks bleak

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Always had him down as a Dubya fan tbh.:lol:

Eboue

nasty little twerp with crazy bitter-man opinions
I'm typing this with my Glock 19 two feet from me
say what you want about elon musk. say hes a bitch and a union buster and that he bribes government officials but you cant deny that it works. the republicans have announced that after elon objected, they will stop doing racism and destroying the planet.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
That's a relief. Always knew he was a good 'un.