Elyh Harrison

Gungerz

Received his first England call-up today, has been named in the U17 squad for the European Championship qualifiers.

Think he'll most likely be the non-playing keeper but still a great achievement for him.

Last edited:

Bertie Wooster

Received his first England call-up today, has been named in the U17 squad for the European Championship qualifiers.

Think he'll most likely be the non-playing keeper but still a great achievement for him.
Yeah, he'll maybe have to be a bit more consistent and make less costly mistakes with taking risks with the ball at his feet before becoming England's #1 (at his age groups).

But a promising, 'modern' keeper and, as you say, a great achievement for him to be a Man United (U18) and England (U17) keeper.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

Trained with the first team

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Strong competition at that age group with Tommy Setford the Ajax keeper there.
That is an interesting name to keep a look out for because his brother Charlie used to make the bench in league and european games under ten Hag so he will know a lot about them both

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Positioning looks dodgy to me but plenty of time to improve that I suppose. Interesting keeper, definitely not our usual style.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Find him a good loan next year and hopefully we have a gem in our hands.
Yeah I’m sure it’s really easy to find a club that makes a 17-year old their starting keeper. Not sure the rules even allow to loan out 17-year olds.

Anyway let him develop under the youth coaching & maybe play him in the U21s every now and then. He’s not too good to play in the U18s anyway, still plenty to learn.

Kostov

Yeah I’m sure it’s really easy to find a club that makes a 17-year old their starting keeper. Not sure the rules even allow to loan out 17-year olds.

Anyway let him develop under the youth coaching & maybe play him in the U21s every now and then. He’s not too good to play in the U18s anyway, still plenty to learn.
Chelsea managed to loan a 19 year old Courtois to Atletico Madrid, our own Henderson was going out on loan at 19, I am sure we can find some lower league side willing to play him. Not that scandalous if you ask me.

top1whoisman

Scout
Chelsea managed to loan a 19 year old Courtois to Atletico Madrid, our own Henderson was going out on loan at 19, I am sure we can find some lower league side willing to play him. Not that scandalous if you ask me.
Courtois was a unique talent and the anomaly in my opinion, with his size and all.

Henderson is a good point behind your argument, but I still say 19 is very different from 17 when it comes to keepers. In general, players don’t get loaned out when they’re 17 and there’s a few good reasons for that.

Lower league clubs are fighting against relegation or to get promoted. Lower league players are fighting for their livelihood. So you’d struggle to find a club willing to accept the mistakes a 17-year old keeper, who makes those in U18s football too, is going to make.

That wouldn’t be an environment that a young keeper would benefit from either. At worst it could be very detrimental for his confidence.

I say give him a couple of years to develop without the unnecessary attention and when he’s at the age of Deano & Courtois when they got loaned out, revisit the situation.

whitbyviking

National League level clubs usually have no problem playing young loan keepers. Would be good to play at such an intense level if the club deem him ready.

top1whoisman

Scout
National League level clubs usually have no problem playing young loan keepers. Would be good to play at such an intense level if the club deem him ready.
Yeah I’d say that could be an option, still don’t see them taking the risk with a 17-year old though. Maybe if he was a one-in-a-decade type super talent with the size and all.

Kostov

Courtois was a unique talent and the anomaly in my opinion, with his size and all.

Henderson is a good point behind your argument, but I still say 19 is very different from 17 when it comes to keepers.

Lower league clubs are fighting against relegation or to get promoted. Lower league players are fighting for their livelyhood. So you’d struggle to find a club willing to accept the mistakes a 17-year old keeper, who makes those in U18s football too, makes.

That wouldn’t be an environment that a young keeper would benefit fron either. At worst it could be very detrimental for his confidence.

I say give him a couple of years to develop without the unnecessary attention and when he’s at the age of Deano & Courtois when they got loaned out, revisit the situation.
We have to target the same unique talents and hopefully Harrison is one of them, I guess that's the point we bring him in, and the kid has already played some grown ups football.

I also said next year, considering that he will be 18 and probably filled out even better. I think for a change we handled Henderson's development early on in a good way, so hopefully we find him a club with good environment willing to play him. If he is having any chance of playing for Manchester United ha has to be playing first team football sooner than those couple of years , you mention.

Remember the geese

I'd sell De Gea and Henderson, sign a new keeper, recall Kovar and make him number 2. I'd loan out Vitek and have Harrison as the u21 keeper exclusively.

Prodigal7

Yeah I’d say that could be an option, still don’t see them taking the risk with a 17-year old though. Maybe if he was a one-in-a-decade type super talent with the size and all.
I don’t think we’d want him playing national league anyway. He needs a club that plays out from the back, otherwise it could dent his progress and set him back.

Bondi77

Do lower league teams play with a sweeper/ball playing GK?
I would have thought it would be a bit more basic at that level.

JB7

The vast majority of what he's doing in that video above are basics and have been forever. We're just accustomed to a goalkeeper not doing the majority of the basics of the role.

top1whoisman

Scout
We have to target the same unique talents and hopefully Harrison is one of them, I guess that's the point we bring him in, and the kid has already played some grown ups football.

I also said next year, considering that he will be 18 and probably filled out even better. I think for a change we handled Henderson's development early on in a good way, so hopefully we find him a club with good environment willing to play him. If he is having any chance of playing for Manchester United ha has to be playing first team football sooner than those couple of years , you mention.
What football against grown-ups has he played?

Of course we want to target Courtois-level talents, but that’s like saying loan out Lacey because we need to target Messi type talents.

My point is that Harrison is not at the level Courtois was when he was 17.

Sorry I thought you meant next season.

Regarding the bolded part, I couldn’t disagree more. Whether a keeper plays first team football at 18, doesn’t necessarily have any correlation to if he makes at the club. So many variables. I’d say there’s plenty of current starting keepers in big leagues who didn’t play first team football even at 20, maybe even 21. The path is different for every single player and you can't draw conclusions like that in my opinion.

Last edited:

top1whoisman

Scout
Very good point too. Is that the type of environment we think our young keepers develop all their skills at? Not saying it’s automatically not, but yet another thing we have to consider when loaning out young players.

top1whoisman

Scout
I don’t think we’d want him playing national league anyway. He needs a club that plays out from the back, otherwise it could dent his progress and set him back.
Not necessarily. One or half a season could also improve his long passing immensely.

top1whoisman

Scout
And which keeper would you sign and expect to pay for him?
I don't know, not my job really. Also haven't seen enough of our rumoured gk targets play, so it would be ignorant of me to comment on that. If we consider Kovář to be ready soon, I wouldn't have a problem him and DDG sharing the games next season and then going with the Czech as no.1 for the season after that.

Bondi77

I don't know, not my job really. Also haven't seen enough of our rumoured gk targets play, so it would be ignorant of me to comment on that.
As far as I am aware it is none of our jobs but to want to get rid of a player we should have an idea of what player we would like to bring in and not wait for the media to feed us someone and then get excited about someone we know feck all about.

top1whoisman

Scout
As far as I am aware it is none of our jobs but to want to get rid of a player we should have an idea of what player we would like to bring in and not wait for the media to feed us someone and then get excited about someone we know feck all about.
I edited my reply and added that I wouldn't have an issue with DDG being there next season if the club has faith in Kovář. I don't know why me having an idea on who to replace DDG with is necessary. As long as the club does, I'm good with that. I've watched Kovář quite closely so I wouldn't agree that we don't know feck about him.

Bigsid

Ive seen about 10 goals given away this year cheaply so really cant see how folk on here believe it a good idea to loan a 17 year old out, let alone find a club that would take him. Just give the boy time and let him develop as hes struggled in the 18s at times this year. Whats the rush? To compare him to a 6ft 7 Courtois is crazy. He looks around 6ft to me which isnt very big.

Bondi77

I edited my reply and added that I wouldn't have an issue with DDG being there next season if the club has faith in Kovář. I don't know why me having an idea on who to replace DDG with is necessary. As long as the club does, I'm good with that. I've watched Kovář quite closely so I wouldn't agree that we don't know feck about him.
So do you think that Kovar has the tools to be the long term keeper for us?

top1whoisman

Scout
So do you think that Kovar has the tools to be the long term keeper for us?
I'd say talent-wise, yes. Very good with both feet, has the frame of a modern top keeper and has very good reflexes. A very good shot stopper and on the levels I've seen him play, commands his area with authority. Doesn't really have big weaknesses in my opinion.

If it was my choice I'd still try to find a better league to send him on loan to next season but I think it could also be time to bring him home and see if he already has everything we need. I'd say the biggest question mark as usual with young players and keepers is if he's mentally ready to play for a club of our size. Especially the role of the goalkeeper comes with so much scrutiny and you need be able to bounce back and handle the inevitable mistakes you will make. That's why a loan in Serie A, LaLiga of Bundesliga could be the right way to find out. If we're ready to take the chance, playing him in Carabao Cup etc. would be another way to get those answers.

Bondi77

I'd say talent-wise, yes. Very good with both feet, has the frame of a modern top keeper and has very good reflexes. A very good shot stopper and on the levels I've seen him play, commands his area with authority. Doesn't really have big weaknesses in my opinion.

If it was my choice I'd still try to find a better league to send him on loan to next season but I think it could also be time to bring him home and see if he already has everything we need. I'd say the biggest question mark as usual with young players and keepers is if he's mentally ready to play for a club of our size. Especially the role of the goalkeeper comes with so much scrutiny and you need be able to bounce back and handle the inevitable mistakes you will make. That's why a loan in Serie A, LaLiga of Bundesliga could be the right way to find out. If we're ready to take the chance, playing him in Carabao Cup etc. would be another way to get those answers.
When Fergie signed Big Dave one of the main things that impressed him was his mentality which is something IMO that someone has at an early age and i am of the thinking that if the individual has the physical attributes to match that then there is no point of a loan but to get them in at a high level and take it from there.

top1whoisman

Scout
When Fergie signed Big Dave one of the main things that impressed him was his mentality which is something IMO that someone has at an early age and i am of the thinking that if the individual has the physical attributes to match that then there is no point of a loan but to get them in at a high level and take it from there.
You might be right. The challenge for me is that his prior loans didn’t work for one reason or another so this season has been his first in first team football.

Let’s hope he gets a chance in the pre season. Hartis, Mawson, Fletcher etc. know everything about him already so it’s all about impressing EtH when he gets the opportunity.

Some decisions to make regarding our gk department. Heaton is the necessary experienced head in the group, and Bishop the emergency number-filler. Vitek should go on loan and Henderson will most likely leave the club.

Bondi77

You might be right. The challenge for me is that his prior loans didn’t work for one reason or another so this season has been his first in first team football.

Let’s hope he gets a chance in the pre season. Hartis, Mawson, Fletcher etc. know everything about him already so it’s all about impressing EtH when he gets the opportunity.

Some decisions to make regarding our gk department. Heaton is the necessary experienced head in the group, and Bishop the emergency number-filler. Vitek should go on loan and Henderson will most likely leave the club.
I think it would be interesting once Erik knows what the budget is for the rebuild and then honing in on what he can work with and what he cannot and needs to replace.
Will he bring Hendo on preseason and see if he is more in line with what he requires as he is still under contract so there could be a saving there.
If we are still under the same ownership I think we will be looking at the 150-200mil kitty and with the way we overpay that will be 3 players which I would think will be a ST, CM and a CB so I personally think he will be working with what we have in the goalkeeping department.

Kostov

What football against grown-ups has he played?

Of course we want to target Courtois-level talents, but that’s like saying loan out Lacey because we need to target Messi type talents.

My point is that Harrison is not at the level Courtois was when he was 17.

Sorry I thought you meant next season.

Regarding the bolded part, I couldn’t disagree more. Whether a keeper plays first team football at 18, doesn’t necessarily have any correlation to if he makes at the club. So many variables. I’d say there’s plenty of current starting keepers in big leagues who didn’t play first team football even at 20, maybe even 21. The path is different for every single player and you can't draw conclusions like that in my opinion.
Maybe I am wrong but isn't this kid goalie that was playing senior football at 16, or was he only training with the seniors at Stevenage?

Maybe he is not of Courtois level talents but my point is we should target similar pathways for our youngsters contrary to the general feeling on the Cafe that wants to shelter our youngsters untill they turn 20. Chelsea have had much better way of bringing up youngsters recently, and they loan out their kids earlier. So have we in the last year or so, which is positive in my opinion. Whether they reach the level of Courtois or Reece James is up to many factors.

And regarding that bolded part, I think the whole point of having a youth team is to produce players like DDG, not Tom Heaton, undeniably most of them will fall short but that should not move the goalpost.